HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jul 12, 2007, 6:38 AM

I know it sounds weird. But, I've found the lowest priced groceries to be at Nugget. It may seem expensive. But, if you're not buying meat there, it's VERY inexpensive!!! On top of that, it's a local grocer and the nicest grocery store I've ever been to. I STRONGLY suggest you try it out!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2007, 2:59 PM
West bench livin'

I would have to concur with Neuhickman... It's well placed and the people there are great. I stopped there yesterday on my way home from my dentist (who's located nearby behind the BofA). Produce is great, the bread is better, and the Cheese is the best.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2007, 3:26 PM

They even have a contest that if you find lower prices they'll give you double your money back plus $10 or something like that (on $150 worth of groceries). It's a great store and it's great to know you're supporting a local business and one that treats their employees so well.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2007, 8:05 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuhickman79 View Post
They even have a contest that if you find lower prices they'll give you double your money back plus $10 or something like that (on $150 worth of groceries). It's a great store and it's great to know you're supporting a local business and one that treats their employees so well.
it's all about price for me, buisness practices don't matter to me when I have to pay rent. I usually use the price of a pack of pepperoni or hot dogs to determine where I shop (kinda silly, I know) and the cheapest I have come across is walmart, 68c per pack while Nugget was about a dollar more. I have shopped at nugget in the past, but not a full scale shopping experience that I do monthly at the walmart in dixon. The chicks are pretty hot at nugget I must say, and I love to make rounds eating all the free food that they have on display. Do you think I could get them to come down on hotdogs?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuhickman79 View Post
I know it sounds weird. But, I've found the lowest priced groceries to be at Nugget. It may seem expensive. But, if you're not buying meat there, it's VERY inexpensive!!! On top of that, it's a local grocer and the nicest grocery store I've ever been to. I STRONGLY suggest you try it out!
As for someone who doesn't practice much in the way of store loyalty, I make an exception with Nugget Market. A perfect mix of gourmet and basic needs goods, at reasonable prices and a overall wonderful shopping experience. I wish Midtown/Downtown could score one.

....and no, I don't work for them

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 4:34 PM
Hindrance to Development

I still think the Greyhound station would be an ideal spot for a Nugget Market. Downtown seriously needs a grocery store, and it has a near-ideal configuration--put glass windows and entrances along the bus-entry sides, a loading area in the rear, and it would be one of those zesty adaptive-reuse projects that would benefit the neighborhood. The building itself is in good enough shape that it wouldn't need more than some exterior detail work, and cleaning out of the pigeon crap in the bus boarding areas.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 4:53 PM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I still think the Greyhound station would be an ideal spot for a Nugget Market. Downtown seriously needs a grocery store, and it has a near-ideal configuration--put glass windows and entrances along the bus-entry sides, a loading area in the rear, and it would be one of those zesty adaptive-reuse projects that would benefit the neighborhood. The building itself is in good enough shape that it wouldn't need more than some exterior detail work, and cleaning out of the pigeon crap in the bus boarding areas.

What’s the historical significance of the Grayhound Bus Station anyway?
It’s got no “zesty ness” about it. The structure is a tilt up concrete wall with
no architectural features. That buildings got to go. The Grayhound Bus
Stations real estate is to valuable to keep such a boring structure there
that has no historic value.

Grocery store: Yes... with this structure No.

Last edited by innov8; Jul 13, 2007 at 5:05 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 5:23 PM

Agree. That building's got to go. The real estate is too valuable in that corner. Even if a grocery store is built there, or somewhere similar, it would be good to have something done like the Safeway in San Francisco's Mission Bay. A safeway on the ground floor with a several floors of housing above.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 5:32 PM

A friendly reminder ..... Second Saturday is this weekend on July 14th. Here's the gallery and venue map.

http://www.sacramento-second-saturday.org

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 6:46 PM
Hindrance to Development

The historic nature of the Greyhound Station is...that it's the historic Greyhound Station. The structure is around 70 years old, and while it's not the most eye-blasting piece of Art Deco ever, it does reflect the era of its construction.

The main argument for keeping the structure is that it's easier and cheaper than a demo/rebuild, I suppose, making economical conversion to a market easier. Interesting features: I'd include the skylights and roof structures inside the bus barn. Some have even tossed around the idea of doing an open-air farmer's market in the bus barn, but the West Sac Nugget's produce area has the same sort of feel. One of the turned-down RFPs for the 700 block was conversion of the station to a Nugget, so I guess I'm just riffing on that vibe.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 7:21 PM
Kodachrome

Geeze Wberg, between the Greyhound Station and that stretch of J street
where the Metropolitan and Cathedral Square will be built, your arguments
are weak for keeping any of these buildings around. I’d hate to have to go
out and take photos of the bus station (like I did on J Street) and post it so
everybody can see what a heap of crap your defending to save here.

This is why preservationist like your self get a bad reputations. It seems like
we hear this same tired argument weather is a truly a historic structure or
not “reflect the era of its construction

I love a lot of old structures in Sacramento… but this one doe’s not even
make my list of buildings that should even be considered, skylights in the
roof is a funny one Wberg

To build on the cheap should be the last reason to save this structure.
Sorry, but that corner needs a fresh look and vibe.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 7:42 PM

I can't see Nugget opening at the Greyhound, in the current building or a new one. There aren't nearly enough people in the area yet to sustain a full service supermarket.

Once the Railyards start going up I can picture Nugget up there, near the new housing.

For now Downtown/Midtown's grocery need is something on the north end to replace the Albertson's that closed on 22 & F. I can see a supermarket on 16th Street around E,F,G if a large enough parcel could be assembled. A 16th Street supermarket would get a good boost from suburban commuters driving past on their way to the 80 freeway ramp, in addition to serving the many people already living in the area.

The old Albertson's building is too small for a modern full service supermarket. It's about right sized for a Trader Joe's and it has the parking, but TJ's would probably prefer being on a busier street than F.

Now I'm hungry.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 7:45 PM
Here we stAy

Seriously. A cheap building is a cheap building, no matter when it was constructed. Something of much higher quality deserves to be on that space. Now if 701L ever comes to fruition...

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 8:00 PM

Nugget had a letter is intent to open a market in the 700 block proposal by Evergreen, Hank Fisher (RIP), and Mohanna. The store would have gone in the corner where the Greyhound is, but it would have been in the ground level of a new building.

If someone wants to put a Nugget or a year long Farmers Market in the Greyhound that's one thing...but I don't see any reason for that building to stay for the sheer reason of preservation. There is very little redeeming value in that building.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 8:04 PM
Hindrance to Development

innov8: Go ahead and take some photos--that will put to rest the idea that the Greyhound station is a featureless concrete tilt-up. The construction appears to be cinderblock, and other bits of architectural interest include the rounded corner feature (with window and shade structure), the use of black stone at the base of the building, and the stainless steel door/window elements at the main entrance.

Regarding the other two project sites, I think you mistake ambivalence for violent disapproval. I don't grossly disapprove of the Metropolitan or Cathedral Square projects, I'm just not cheering for them either. In both cases the front facades are not what I'd attempt to defend, as in both cases the facades have been "improved" so much there isn't much historic fabric to retain, but the alley facings tell the buildings' real story.

And I continue to support the idea that the 10th and J corner (with Rodney's) is pretty spiff: are you still convinced it is "ghetto" even though the high-end Parlare Euro Lounge has sited there, and done quite a bit of work to repair and restore the building's facade?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 8:24 PM
Kodachrome

You paint two beautiful pictures with your words Wberg... but reality is that
they are both dismal blocks with very little to save. I now see that you have also
shifted your defense of saving everything on J Street between 10th to 11th
Street to now just the corner of 10th & J where the Parlare Euro Lounge is?

I agree, that is a worthy building to save... but the rest can get knocked down

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 8:33 PM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post
You paint two beautiful pictures with your words Wberg... but reality is that
they are both dismal blocks with very little to save. I now see that you have also
shifted your defense of saving everything on J Street between 10th to 11th
Street to now just the corner of 10th & J where the Parlare Euro Lounge is?

I agree, that is a worthy building to save... but the rest can get knocked down

No, that was all I was trying to defend in the first place (essentially, the 10th and J corner, from the bank building around the corner to the Lorenzo Patino School of Law (although that building needs some attention--not demolition.)

Let me try to restate this.

Let's imagine a scale of 1 to 10.

1 is the BANANA position: Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything.

10 is the the MOHANNA position: Knock it down, RIGHT NOW, and build something SUPERTALL!!!

I'm about a 5 on both projects. I'm kind of off-put by the loss of the structures, but not enough to chain myself in front of a bulldozer. The new buildings planned are acceptable, but I'm not jumping for joy either. You seem to be dead-set on convincing me that I'm screaming for the defense of those buildings, and, well, I'm not.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 9:00 PM
Kodachrome

Well that's good to know... although you almost always sound grouchy about
any buildings proposed anywhere in the grid unless it replaces a parking lot.

Will have to meet up and when demo work starts for
Cathedral Square... I don't think I've heard you defend that area of J Street right

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 9:43 PM

wburg: I agree. Save the Greyhound Station. I've always liked it. It's just dirty, is all.

There isn't much Art Deco representation in Sacramento, save for a few residences and small buildings. Why did Art Deco never really catch-on in Sacramento?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 10:09 PM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenebrist View Post
wburg: I agree. Save the Greyhound Station. I've always liked it. It's just dirty, is all.

There isn't much Art Deco representation in Sacramento, save for a few residences and small buildings. Why did Art Deco never really catch-on in Sacramento?
It did somewhat, but a lot of those buildings didn't survive. The Kress building and the facade of the Esquire are probably the only other Art Deco style buildings left in the central city. A lot of downtown movie theaters, including the ill-fated Alhambra (which most people associate more with Spanish Colonial Revival but was actually a Moorish Deco style) were Deco buildings that were torn down during downtown's decline. Others were places like the old Japanese Buddhist Church's auditorium at Fourth and O, and some of the downtown hotels, demolished during the first wave of redevelopment in the Fifties and Sixties (even though a lot of those buildings were only 20-30 years old at the time.)

There weren't many big buildings constructed in Sacramento during the Art Deco era, as we weren't that big of a city and much of the construction during that time were industrial structures and the first streetcar suburbs. Broadway and Alhambra Boulevard (plus East Sac and Land Park) were really the places where Deco buildings got built, rather than downtown office structures.

Speaking of the re-use of non-amazing buildings, the Woolworth's building on 10th and K is newer and less architecturally distinctive than the Greyhound station, but it was considered important enough that the theater project going in is an adaptive reuse of the existing building, rather than a complete demo and reconstruction. If it works at Tenth and K, why can't it work at Seventh and L? There's even a patch at the back (a parking lot formerly occupied by the old Royal Hotel) that would be a great place to build a mid-rise residential component.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area