HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 6:06 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
to bad half pints or fort garry could not be the official beer
They don't have, nor could they get enough money for that level of sponsorship.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 6:13 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
to bad half pints or fort garry could not be the official beer
When they have that much money to afford the sponsorship all the cool kids will have moved onto a beer that isn't so mainstream.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
When they have that much money to afford the sponsorship all the cool kids will have moved onto a beer that isn't so mainstream.
Hahaha, well put

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 6:36 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I will be the first to admit that Fort Garry or Half pints ARE NOT hipster beers, and therefore the cool kids don't drink them (I am not cool). People who LIKE BEER drink them, that's it. Don't lump them into Standard, 50, or the other my-fathers-beer-is-cool-again-beers-du-jour category...

But I digress.

On topic, the jets preseason starts tomorrow. I have tickets, anyone else.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 6:42 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
People who LIKE BEER drink them, that's it.
Pfft.

You could make that claim about ANY local beer from a local group of opinionated drinkers.

I have yet to find a small market (non-discount) brewery that doesn't have a loyal group of local fans that will claim that their locally brewed beer is hands-down better than any of the national or international brands.

Remember folks. Fort Garry is the brewery that brought you 2L plastic bottles of Stone Cold you find littered in the alleys of the North End.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 6:45 PM
the first stamp is free

^ a man's gotta eat.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 5:28 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Tonight's the big night guys! Sure, regular season is "more important" but to me this will be the first Jets 2.0 game ever.

Sadly it only seems available on TSN Jets. If anyone manages to find a recording of the first few minutes on Youtube tomorrow, please share. I suspect this may be the loudest, craziest pre-season game in NHL history.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Tonight's the big night guys! Sure, regular season is "more important" but to me this will be the first Jets 2.0 game ever.

Sadly it only seems available on TSN Jets. If anyone manages to find a recording of the first few minutes on Youtube tomorrow, please share. I suspect this may be the loudest, craziest pre-season game in NHL history.

I'm sure you could find a link online if you want to watch it

For all the Shaw Winnipeg folk, its going to be on Channel 289/290(HD)!!!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 6:12 PM
What could go wrong?

Here is where you can find the game on TV....

Bell TV - Channel 1423 in HD and Channel 423 in SD
MTS TV Ultimate - Channel 480 in HD and Channel 168 in SD
MTS Classic - Channel 168 in SD
Shaw- Channel 290 in HD and Channel 289 in SD
Shaw Direct Classic-Channel 449 in HD and Channel 468 in SD
Shaw Direct Advanced-Channel 393 in HD and Channel 136 in SD.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 3:38 AM
What could go wrong?

Best opening shift of a season ever. 5 seconds into the game when Byfuglien absolutely destroys Cody Bass of the Blue Jacket off the face off. Then the ensuing round of scraps. It had me off the couch screaming.....and this is only pre-season.

Scheifele looks like the real deal. Pack on about 25 more pounds and look out.

I can't wait to get the whole team together.

Go Jets Go
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 3:44 AM

I hate this two games at once nonsense.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 4:48 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
4 points in his first game as a pro eh? I think I know the most popular name to go on jerseys once they come out next month.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Best opening shift of a season ever. 5 seconds into the game when Byfuglien absolutely destroys Cody Bass of the Blue Jacket off the face off. Then the ensuing round of scraps. It had me off the couch screaming.....and this is only pre-season.

I can't wait to get the whole team together.

Go Jets Go

X100

That was EPIC

Buff is gonna enjoy the Peg...when he skated off to the penalty box, remember his reaction?

Nodding his head all "f yea.."

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 5:32 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Video Link

Not the best quality (cellphone?), but awesome that someone already posted it.

It sounded like a madhouse in there. For pre-season. Way to go Winnipeg, show the NHL what real fans are like!

Last edited by freeweed; Sep 21, 2011 at 12:44 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 1:51 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I was there last night. When they came on the ice before the anthems it was unbelievably loud. I dare say it was louder than the old barn, just a flat out wall of sound, less the building shake that made the old arena a little more edgy...

They were announcing the starting lineup for the Jets, but you couldn't hear the announcer at all.

It was crazy in there.

The big Buff was a force and Scheifele (and whomever he was playing with on a line) looked really good.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 3:21 PM

That truly was something to watch!
I'm eagerly awaiting the home opener on Oct 9th... that is going to be amazing, especially with CBC's coverage.

A couple things I noticed...
1) There were no sponsorship advertisements on the boards yet... any reason for that? Decals aren't ready?

2) Attendance was announced at 15,400. Where did the 400 come from? Is that that including media in the pressbox as well?

3) TSN-Jets coverage appears to have a ways to go in developing their intermission materials. It was a little strange watching highlights without any commentary or music, and they didn't have any cameras in the stands really. (Where was dancing Gabe?) I guess this is another detail they'll work out as they become more established. The timelines to get themselves ready to broadcast were ridiculously short.

Still, its amazing that this all came together in time for this season.
Great stuff!

(also my son's first televised hockey game! -- can't wait to take him to a live game!)

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 3:36 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
2) Attendance was announced at 15,400. Where did the 400 come from? Is that that including media in the pressbox as well?
Attendance was 15,004. I think you just got your 4's mixed up.

That is the capacity of the arena. It was 15,015 but they lost some seats for cameras, etc.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 3:37 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
That truly was something to watch!
I'm eagerly awaiting the home opener on Oct 9th... that is going to be amazing, especially with CBC's coverage.

A couple things I noticed...

3) TSN-Jets coverage appears to have a ways to go in developing their intermission materials. It was a little strange watching highlights without any commentary or music, and they didn't have any cameras in the stands really. (Where was dancing Gabe?) I guess this is another detail they'll work out as they become more established. The timelines to get themselves ready to broadcast were ridiculously short.
I found the TSN Jets coverage to be alright for a regional broadcast.

They seem to still have a few kinks to iron out in terms of the production value. A number of times I noticed that Beyaks voice got really quiet with the ice level noise almost drowning him out.

The camera guys also seem to be new to the NHL and at times appeared to have a bit of difficulty smoothly following the play on the ice. Movements at times were shaky and a couple of times I was even able to see the backs of other cameras in the shots.

Does TSN hire their own camera guys or are they an independent Winnipeg crew that operates the gear for the MTS Centre?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Attendance was 15,004. I think you just got your 4's mixed up.

That is the capacity of the arena. It was 15,015 but they lost some seats for cameras, etc.
Possibly. I could have sworn I heard 15,400 on 1290's after-game coverage, but then again, I might have heard incorrectly too.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsabo21 View Post
Hi Fellow 300 Level Season Ticket Holders,

We are the lucky ones. We have season tickets! That said, many of us in the lower rows have slightly obstructed views of the goals because of the heightened guardrails in entryways AND the wire mesh filling. This is also an issue in the 200 level; however, the wire mesh was replaced with plexiglass almost immediately after the MTS Centre openned. The 300 level was kept in tact because of the relatively few events that require the upperbowl to be used.

Fast forward to 2011 and we have an NHL team again! The 300 level will be in full use, and because of this, I am asking True North offer us the same consideration they gave the 200 level by replacing wire mesh with plexiglass!

I counted 490 seats where a net in obstructed. That is 8% of all upperbowl seats. Nearly 50% of all upperbowl seats have an "ice obstruction" (albeit much less severe) because of the wire mesh and guardrails.

If this is a concern to you, please let Linzy Jones, Jim Ludlow, Robert Thorsten, John Olfert, Jeff Mager, Bill Hibbard, Mike Labay and / or your ticket rep know! Please do so in a polite, considerate email.

Their email addresses are:

ljones@truenorth.mb.ca
jludlow@truenorth.mb.ca
rthorsten@truenorth.mb.ca
jolfert@truenorth.mb.ca
jmager@truenorth.mb.ca
bhibbard@truenorth.mb.ca
mlabay@truenorth.mb.ca

You can also send in snail mail (might have more impact as many emails get ignored) to

TRUE NORTH SPORTS & ENTERTAINMENT LTD.
260 Hargrave Street
Winnipeg, MB R3C 5S5

Thanks, and see you all at the rink in fall!

** Nearly 50% of the seats in the upperbowl have some type of "ice" obstruction, HOWEVER, 490 seats have a more severe "view of goal" obstruction. The red dots on the Seating Map below shows the seats with a severe "goal obstruction" whereby you would possibly not be able to see the puck slide in the net ***

Example of a seat in Sec 319, row 3:

Was at the game last night...I have tickets in 303 row 5 close to the aisle. The view is obstructed by the railings directly above the laser board...and especially by the railings along the portals into the upper bowl. The railings block approximately 25% of the view of the ice. When we went to the MTS Centre for seat selection, the guy said these seats would be great...but we weren't allowed to sit in the seats and he failed to mention the obstruction. Had I known these railings would be such an issue I would have gladly taken seats a few rows up and sacrificed being able to read the players names for a better view of the entire ice surface. Anyways, I may have to send in a letter like you did to request that the metal be replaced with plexiglass.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan