HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 2:04 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
They're doing fine here in Newfoundland and Labrador by the looks of things. There was an article in the paper a while ago about all their new hiring, they've just renovated their sets and expanded programming.
On the old budget, yes. But I imagine a lot of the people they just hired won't be around for long.

INAC funding is being cut by $165 million, but the government will be investing $275 million in aboriginal education and schools, and $331 million to improve water systems on reserves. Currently, many reserves without water systems are importing bottled water on a weekly or even daily basis and distributing it to people's houses. The lack of education on reserves is one of the primary causes of poverty and unemployment among First Nations. Disregarding the abandonment of the Kelowna Accord, the Harper Government has done more for Aboriginal education than any other recent government. But this still falls short of abolishing the Indian Act and giving First Nations governments more autonomy so that they can raise the funds for these things themselves.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
On the old budget, yes. But I imagine a lot of the people they just hired won't be around for long.
Well haligonia said they were just scraping by as is.

Maybe it's time for CBC to review its mandate?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Well haligonia said they were just scraping by as is.

Maybe it's time for CBC to review its mandate?
Or start thinking about some radical restructuring, like folding CBC and Radio Canada into a single entity with common programming in English and French.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 1:41 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Or start thinking about some radical restructuring, like folding CBC and Radio Canada into a single entity with common programming in English and French.
Something like this is what should have been done at the outset. Now it is probably too late since both CBC and Radio-Canada have evolved into entities with their own distinct identities. It would be like coupling a crocodile and an elephant.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 4:51 AM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Something like this is what should have been done at the outset. Now it is probably too late since both CBC and Radio-Canada have evolved into entities with their own distinct identities. It would be like coupling a crocodile and an elephant.
I, for one, welcome our new crocophant overlords.

Flickr

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 5:18 AM

Two plans that could lead to some controversy:

- Advertising on CBC Radio 2 and Espace Musique. While the former doesn't have ratings that would command high advertising rates, the idea of a public radio network having advertising is going to ruffle a lot of feathers.

- Shutdown of all analog TV transmitters at the end of July. I don't think CBC realizes how many people this would affect across Canada, especially with greater interest in digital OTA signals and some people abandoning cable and satellite. Areas like London, Ontario or Lethbridge which have all their other local signals in digital stand to lose their CBC access.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 11:29 PM
I am a typical

There are cities that still have analogue TV?? I actually got rid of my TV because it is now useless to me. I still have radios though!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 1:24 AM
BANNED

Editorial cartoon in Journal de Montréal. Ouch!

I can't believe that CBC is cancelling a show like 'Dispatches' yet keeping that senile piece of shit Don Cherry and his 'Army Corner' at $800,000.00 per year. Plus, whatever they're paying the weasel sidekick MacLean.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 2:00 AM

Don Cherry

Don is a very patriotic Canadian and does tend to show his support for the troops. And they deserve it.
So:
We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.
Or if you don't want to stand behind the troops, feel free to stand in front of them.
You may not like Don, but for a older gentleman he sure does put himself out there for them and the other real heroes like police, EMT and firefighters. He went over to see the VanDoo's in the last couple of years.
Nice to see.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 2:16 AM
I am a typical

Yeah... "supporting the troops" doesn't make up for his bigotry.

Out of all the people with salaries funded by our tax dollars, Don Cherry is the highest paid and least deserving. You want to support our troops? Stop abandoning them when they need mental health services for PTSD.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 2:25 AM

I like Don Cherry because he's a character and he thinks for himself and isn't afraid to say what he thinks. I just don't agree with much of what he says.

As for the troops thing, Bornagainbiking, you're trotting out an old favourite of the ideological right. Don't be silly, everyone supports the troops. I personally care about the troops so much that I hate to see them put in harm's way for no good reason. If our freedom were at stake, I'd pick up a gun and stand along side them. Unfortunately, the military action in Afghanistan has absolutely no connection to the freedoms we enjoy in Canada.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 2:39 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I like Don Cherry because he's a character and he thinks for himself and isn't afraid to say what he thinks. I just don't agree with much of what he says.
I don't agree with the fact that he is paid so much and that we're the ones paying it.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 2:44 AM

Poor comparison

You're right, I just took exception to the previous post and didn't agree with the negative comments about being piece of shit Don and Army corner.
If you disagree with Mr. Cherry's retention that is your opinion. Write the CBC, start a petition. But please don't knock him for his emotional response every time we lose another Canadian Serviceman.
And what exactly do you want Don to do in relation to PTSD, I think his encouragement and highly publicized support as well as visiting the bases and Units. Did you know for his support he was awarded the honor of being an honorary member of the Princess Patricias Canadian Light Infanty. (PPCLI). Directly from the troops.
Kinda of late for him to go back to school and become a social worker. It is a sad situation but I see some progress as well as advocating through my local Legion. Yet I digress,
CBC may have to trim the top and re-focus. Revamp the empire that was built on greed.

Last edited by bornagainbiking; Apr 12, 2012 at 2:47 AM. Reason: Auto correct

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 2:51 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Regarding Mr. Cherry, he is by far the highest-paid employee of my country's national broadcaster which I support through my taxes, in spite of the fact that he occasionally spews borderline hateful comments about various groups, including at least one that I happen to be a part of.

As for expressing support for the troops, I don't really have any problem with that, although I wonder if a segment destined for commenting on hockey games is really the most suitable forum. But what the hey... I don't really feel strongly about that aspect of his persona.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Regarding Mr. Cherry, he is by far the highest-paid employee of my country's national broadcaster which I support through my taxes, in spite of the fact that he occasionally spews borderline hateful comments about various groups, including at least one that I happen to be a part of.

As for expressing support for the troops, I don't really have any problem with that, although I wonder if a segment destined for commenting on hockey games is really the most suitable forum. But what the hey... I don't really feel strongly about that aspect of his persona.
Woah. Easy. Peter Mansbridge makes 1million + per year. The exact number is not really known but he is the cherry on the cake.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 10:45 AM
Still optimistic

We could have done with a lot less Don Cherry and more Dispatches. Quite frankly, I don't think that he's that necessary: everyone has a half-senile uncle who voices his more-or-less appropriate opinions at more-or-less appropriate times in that far-too-loud voice that everyone knows is meant to provoke everyone into arguing with him.

Why would I need a television for that?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 10:59 AM
Closed account

Count me as another person disappointed to see Dispatches going off the air. I can kind of understand the reasoning though: its dependence on foreign correspondents would likely make it significantly more expensive to produce, and I suspect it doesn't get as many listeners as other programs.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
I still miss Air Farce.

22 Minutes has gone downhill over the past few years. Wouldn't be too sad to see it go, but keep the Rick Mercer Report!

I also like Dragon's Den. Hope it stays too.

Are you kidding me! This Hour has 22Minutes is better than ever with the highest ratings it's ever had. If anything get rid Rick Mercer Report.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 12:37 PM
DRINK

I just wish Don Cherry would stick to talking about hockey.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
There are cities that still have analogue TV?? I actually got rid of my TV because it is now useless to me. I still have radios though!
Some of the cities that still receive CBC in analogue over-the-air include Moncton, Saint John, Quebec City, Saguenay, Trois-Rivieres, Sherbrooke, Kingston, Peterborough, Kitchener, London, Greater Sudbury, Lethbridge, and Kelowna.

As Peterborough and Kingston have privately-owned affiliates, they may end up being the only two of these cities ever to get a CBC over-the-air digital service.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada