HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 11:45 AM
You talkin' to me?

The Friends of Schmidtville

I figured I would start a thread on this as I can see it becoming a debatable issue in the future. heres a article from today's metro with Dawn Sloane throwing her support behind the group:

Quote:
Schmittville should be preserved: Sloane

Downtown Halifax councillor Dawn Sloane wants to have the Schmittville area of her riding deemed a Residential Comprehensive Development District, which would limit new buildings to low-rise, in keeping with the community’s architecture.

The Schmittville area, which houses homes built in the 1800s, covers Clyde St. to Wright Ave, and South Park to Queen. Area residents recently started The Friends of Schmittville group, with the goal of protecting themselves from one day having a large office or condominium building constructed in their community.

“It’s better to be proactive than reactive, because when you become reactive, it’s too late,” said Sloane, who will bring this motion to council tomorrow night. “Better to be on the side of caution and to have staff go in and work on this.”

Sloane is hoping staff will adopt the same practice for Schmittville that was used on Brunswick Street, where an area known as The Brickyard received RCDD status, and saw new development consist of low-level condominium buildings.

There are no plans for any large buildings to be built in the area, but the Schmittville friends group decided to meet after a 19-storey residential development was approved by council on Brenton and South Park Street earlier this year.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues