HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 2:41 AM

Yes I too am all in favor of affordable housing, however, not so much in favor of subsidized cuz thats what you get.

BTW I've meet Mr. Irunmole Ibabatunde, 80 (from the homeless article above). He is a mean, racist @#$@^& who goes around yelling that he hates white people. I'm becoming less and less tollerant of the homeless the more familiar I'm with them. It's not PC or "kind to say" but most I've met (and not just a couple of times in passing but day in and out) are real as*holes. It does not surprise me that they are homeless. It's not just that they are addicts-many are just plain bad people.

Obviously I'm not some guilt ridden Land Park matron who volunteers at Loaves & Fishes once a week to ease my conscious and make me better about my comfortable lifestyle. I actually have to 'live' with them everyday -not just on 'good samaritan' day.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 9:13 PM

From the Bee article:

"While relatively quiet, the site has no toilets and little trash pickup. Most people say there has been at least one fire – some say it was intentionally set, others say it resulted from a poorly tended barbecue. Certain tents do a steady business in crack and methamphetamine sales. Many people complained that a few troubled people have ruined the situation for the rest of them."

It seems that whenever you have a big flock of sheep, there's going to be a few wolfs. Why doesn't the City and the outreach providers do more to put the wolfs out of business?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 11:43 PM

"It seems that whenever you have a big flock of sheep, there's going to be a few wolfs. Why doesn't the City and the outreach providers do more to put the wolfs out of business? "

Why? Because there's more wolfs than sheep my friend. It's a lie that it's only a few bad apples. Most of these people are bad apples. They've burned so many bridges that no one will help them out. I'm sorry but the city should not be the business of helping out the homeless. If 'do good'ers' want to take them on that's fine but tax dollars in any form should not go to a bunch of irresponsible shisters who have laid their sh*t on everyone else. Most have made a choice. Very few homeless are really in transition -meaning they've just had a bit of bad luck (if you believe there is such a thing-I don't) and are not intending to get off the streets.

BTW before you call me ignorant and heartless let me tell you I have 3 friends who have been homeless (briefly) and still managed to find a job on their own while homeless. I've also worked at a homeless mission for years in the 80's and have helped out many over the years. Also I have a number of friends who are ex-junkies so I understand that issue as well.

Last edited by ozone; Nov 9, 2007 at 12:04 AM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 3:08 AM

I'm not saying that there's only a few bad apples. Trust me, I'm no fan of the "homeless". I guess the point I'm trying to make is that when you have such a large group of folks hanging out doing drugs, someone is close by selling it to them. It says right there in the article that there are well known tents within the encampment where you can buy crack and speed. Why hasn't the police done anything about this?

If there was a well known crackhouse in one of our neighborhoods, I would hope the police would do something about that. What's the difference if it's a well known cracktent .

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 8:31 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Question for anyone with the answer....

Since i've been in Chciago I've fallen behind on some projects.

Can somebody expalin what the state is asking for in terms of development proposals? Have they scrated the West end project completely?

Are they now asking for a total of 1.7 million square feet of office space and who are the developers bidding on this project?

Couldn't CIM/Cal Pers propose something at 301 CM?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 8:59 PM
Kodachrome

If you go to the Sacramento Construction Thread on page 87 you be able to
read what the latest is on the West End Project.

As for 301CM, were all waiting patiently for CIM/CalPERS to propose
something... it could be sooner than later, I predict will see something by spring.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 4:30 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post
If you go to the Sacramento Construction Thread on page 87 you be able to
read what the latest is on the West End Project.

As for 301CM, were all waiting patiently for CIM/CalPERS to propose
something... it could be sooner than later, I predict will see something by spring.
Thanks Mike..

You could be right about the proposal coming as early as Spring. It would probably still take a year to work any proposal through to approval, which might mean that they would be ready for construction by mid or late 2009.

And construction a year or more beyond that to 2011. Sacramento's housing slump should be corrected by then..

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 2:23 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Here it is folks, see it while it lasts, because tomorrow night the lights will probably be out again. The Federal Building illuminated, (probably for Veterans Day)............

(From the KCRA 3 Tower Cam)

This is my favorite building (when illuminated at night), but it went dark after 9/11.

I actually sent a letter (no I have nothing better to do with my off time) to Doris Matsui to see if they would start illuminating the building again.

That was over a year and a half ago...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 5:44 AM
Here we stAy

I hope someone is taking pictures tonight. This is great to finally see the courthouse lit up again.

To the feds: Please keep them on!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 6:26 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
I hope someone is taking pictures tonight. This is great to finally see the courthouse lit up again.

To the feds: Please keep them on!

I hope Mike is out there snapping a few photos.....

(But I'll be shocked if the Feds keep the lights on after tonight)..

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 4:23 PM
Kodachrome

I thought about getting out there Jim, but I was being social with my family.
I'm going to try to remember that the Fed Court bldg. gets lit up on some federal
Holidays so that hopefully I'll catch it next time.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 5:46 PM
my posse's on broadway

Maybe a custodian flipped the light switch on accident?

I've actually never seen the building lit up in the years I've lived here.
Shame I didn't notice last night..

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 8:06 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Yeah I noticed that too. Good thing I drive back from work around 10:30 pm so I see the skyline at night as well.
I always notice that almost none of the buildings have lights on, instead of other cities like New York or Chicago. If the Wells Fargo is gonna have that huge spotlight, why not just turn it off and turn on the lights for every other floor?
I just wish they would keep the dam Zuggratt lit up as well.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 10:30 PM
Edge_City

FYI...I was at the Target on Broadway today and at the Walmart in Natomas and there were kids trying to get people to a sign a petition to "stop government eminent domain abuse." When I inquired about the petition the teenage girl said, "I’m not really sure, I’m just doing this to get paid, ya know."

My guess is Mo Mohanna is behind this. Just thought I would share my experience with you all.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 1:17 AM
my posse's on broadway

nice strategy. maybe the city can get a group of handicap girl scouts to rally
for public support of redevelopment efforts?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 1:35 AM
Kodachrome

You guys are giving Mo way to much credit. This is the third year an initiative
like this has been circulating, the last two years it did not get enough signtures.
Below is what's currently circulating.

1251. (07-0018)
Eminent Domain. Acquisition of Owner-Occupied Residence. Constitutional Amendment.
Summary Date: 7/5/07 Circulation Deadline: 12/03/07 Signatures Required: 694,354
Proponent: Christopher K. McKenzie, Susan Smartt and Kenneth Willis c/o Steve Lucas (415) 389-6800

Bars state and local governments from using eminent domain to acquire an
owner-occupied residence, as defined, for conveyance to a private person
or business entity. Creates exceptions for public work or improvement, public
health and safety protection, and crime prevention. Summary of estimate by
Legislative Analyst and Director of Finance of fiscal impact on state and
local government: The measure would likely not have a significant fiscal
impact on state or local governments. (Initiative 07-0018.) (Full Text)

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 2:28 AM
my posse's on broadway

heh.. no, i was just playing along. i remember the talk of this when the city
decided to proceed with the 700/800 block plans. of course it didn't get that
far then, but now i kinda wish it did...

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 4:18 AM

Check out Congressional Quarterly's "City Crime Rankings: Crime in Metropolitan America". It's embarassing that we're #41. BUT, a LOT of that is property crime. If we're looking at violent crime, we're probably pretty low compared with other cities! But, anyway, #41! WOW! This is NOT the city I grew up in!!!

On another note, I'm not sure if anyone here likes Ani DiFranco. I happen to love her. Anyway, she has a song on her new cd "Canon" called "Subdivision". It is AWESOME and talks about the state of big cities because of white flight and such. I think it should be the theme of skyscraperpage.com. The last line is "America the Beautiful is one big subdivision". Very profound!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 1:33 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuhickman79 View Post
Check out Congressional Quarterly's "City Crime Rankings: Crime in Metropolitan America". It's embarassing that we're #41. BUT, a LOT of that is property crime. If we're looking at violent crime, we're probably pretty low compared with other cities! But, anyway, #41! WOW! This is NOT the city I grew up in!!!
I actually thought #41 wasn't that bad.

Especially (as you noted) that most of the crime in Sacramento is property crime..

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
I actually thought #41 wasn't that bad.

Especially (as you noted) that most of the crime in Sacramento is property crime..
The problem is (and the study is being HEAVILY criticized for this) that the study doesn't differentiate. Also, Sacramento is higher on the list than HOUSTON (#44), Las Vegas (#58), Phoenix (#64), LOS ANGELES (#135), and NEW YORK CITY (#237). Unfortunately, this makes Sacramento look very dangerous and IT'S NOT!! Anyway, luckily, I haven't seen too much media attention on this and there has been no mention of Sacramento's ranking. I had to dig for it all myself. Also, the average person doesn't look at this. So, it shouldn't make a big difference. Hopefully, the recent increase in crime is due to desparation on the part of the poor and minorities because we have such a horrible president and a government that is oblivious and apathetic to the plight of inner city America. Which means, in a few years it will get better (hopefully)! If anyone doesn't believe me, there was a recent study that came out that said that ONLY 1 in 4 blacks in America feels like they are better off than they were 5 years ago and only 44% feel like it's going to get better.

Study: Black pessimism worst since 1980s

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area