HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 1:08 PM
North Beach

No change there. They haven't been working on it for some reason.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 10:45 PM
North Beach

These guys seem to be doing something with the small window panes on each floor:

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 1:12 AM
Only Mostly Dead

They're filling in the missing pieces of glazing where the lifts were attached to the lower floors. It looks to me like they're just about done (from today):

You can see where the gaps were in this shot from a couple of weeks ago:

It's amazing how the dirty glass appears to be a totally different color from the cleaner glass:

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 1:39 AM
North Beach

Close up of the transition:

I wonder if these come coated in grease or something for protection. 555 Mission's windows were also amazingly dirty.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 4:57 PM

I know that from living in San Francisco that it is fairly difficult to keep my cars and windows very clean for much longer than a week, or a few days. The frequent fog mixed with pollution coats layers of greasy dirty scum in no time. The window washers of these new glass towers will never be short of work, until some sort of new technologies replaces them.

Millennium Tower will be San Francisco's tallest most gleaming new glass skyscraper once all of the exterior gets completed and the glass gets cleaned. Dave, Peanut and others should have many great photographs of Millennium to take in the near future. I am looking forward to seeing them all right here in this thread. Excellent photos guys, please keep it up! I also can't wait to see this tower light up a night.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 9:26 PM
North Beach

They have put up some scaffolding, hopefully to finish of the missing glass:

Filling in the missing pieces where the hoists were attached on the other side.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 10:28 PM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
I know that from living in San Francisco that it is fairly difficult to keep my cars and windows very clean for much longer than a week, or a few days. The frequent fog mixed with pollution coats layers of greasy dirty scum in no time. The window washers of these new glass towers will never be short of work, until some sort of new technologies replaces them.
I hear ye. I just got a wash myself with my oil change, and it'll be a few days before that dark layer will be back. I need to find one of those long armed spinning washers that they're using here. With the constant cleaning, I'm sure Millenium will sparkle, even at night.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 8:13 PM

Those blue vertical facade panels look opaque at the crown. I imagine if there is any sort of lighting of the crown at night, it would be through what appears to be a metal screen system on the roof. I think that the top most scaffolding is there to help lay in the last pieces of metal on the roof.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 5:06 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Just about finished that corner:

Just a couple small pieces at the top left to install:

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 12:45 PM
North Beach

Thanks for the updates! Really looking good now.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 5:12 AM
Only Mostly Dead

They still haven't installed those final panels, but you can't see that very well from this angle:

Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 3:46 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Check out this amazing shot of the roof, from Socketsite:

I didn't realize how open that venting at the top actually is. From below, it looks nearly solid.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Check out this amazing shot of the roof, from Socketsite:

I didn't realize how open that venting at the top actually is. From below, it looks nearly solid.
Awesome shot. I didn't realise there even was an open space on the roof - I thought it was all closed in. If only that picture was bigger, you can't really see much.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 6:07 AM
BANNED

There are so many optical illusions on this building I don't think I'll ever understand it.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 5:01 AM

The more I see it, the more I like this building. Obviously, it doesn't make an impact on the skyline as One Ricon Hill, but still this a great breakthrough for San Francisco. A major leap into the next era of skyscapers.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 4:14 PM
Sonoma Strong

^ i feel very much the same way.

tho rincon does have a great effect on the skyline, millineum's architecture is so much superior imo

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 7:28 PM

I'm not disappointed. The facade treatment is very appealing.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 8:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbay420 View Post
^ i feel very much the same way.

tho rincon does have a great effect on the skyline, millineum's architecture is so much superior imo
You are talking only about its appearance. One Rincon Hill is a much more technically innovative building with its mass damper and outrigger-bracing (I forget exactly what the right term is). 301 Mission is a very conventional design in its bones.

Personally, I also think the skin looks "busy" as compared to, say, 555 Mission. But that's purely a matter of taste. I prefer ORH.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 4:42 PM
Only Mostly Dead

BT, do you get as much of that "busy" feeling when you see it in person? I've noticed with this building that the photos tend to emphasize those little accents like the fins and the horizontal white lines. But in person, those things don't seem to stand out at all, except from very extreme angles.

I've said this before, but I also prefer the effect of the glass when viewed from the shadowed side vs. the side in direct sunlight. It gets this amazing water-like quality to it.

Overall, I'm very happy with this building so far. I'm looking forward to completion of the first floor glazing and new sidewalks. I can't quite decide how I feel about the way it meets the ground because it's too incomplete. I'm hopeful though.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 8:21 PM

I like it. It is the most 'hyper-dimensional' 3D skyscraper in San Francisco so far. The building is designed to give changing impressions as one moves about its axis, and to different heights. The fins add to the effect. I believe the design is inspired by cystalline mineral structures. I'm not sure if it's quartz, but that's what I think of.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartz

I also think of the razzle dazzle paint applied to warships during World War II to help confuse the enemy. I don't know if the Millennium Tower design was intended to create more interest rather than confusion, but it does do a bit of both.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzle_camouflage

Last edited by SFView; Oct 3, 2008 at 8:35 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive