HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Highrise & Supertall Proposals

740 North Rush in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

View Full Map

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 6:12 PM

I really agree with all of you that compared this building with something out of Dallas or Denver. I strongly hope that this will NOT be the final product. Our city deserves better than this mediocre crap.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 8:33 PM

better in those renderings I guess, but a shame to lose the street-level quirk

too bad it can't find a surface lot

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pimp View Post
I really agree with all of you that compared this building with something out of Dallas or Denver. I strongly hope that this will NOT be the final product. Our city deserves better than this mediocre crap.
It's very Dallas. Surprised this was by SOM – besides the bracing covering the heinous podium near the bottom, I'm not sure what's great about this design. I think people here tend to conflate the quality of the rendering with the quality of the design.

Sure looks like an expensive rendering though!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
It's very Dallas. Surprised this was by SOM – besides the bracing covering the heinous podium near the bottom, I'm not sure what's great about this design. I think people here tend to conflate the quality of the rendering with the quality of the design.

Sure looks like an expensive rendering though!
What do you mean? I don't understand the reference to Dallas at all. When I think of Dallas' skyscraper architecture I think of 80's and 90's PoMo monoliths that completely ignore engaging anyone at the street level.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
What do you mean? I don't understand the reference to Dallas at all. When I think of Dallas' skyscraper architecture I think of 80's and 90's PoMo monoliths that completely ignore engaging anyone at the street level.
Crowns generally remind me of Pomo and it doesn't do a great job of engaging at street level (unless we're going by the very low bar set by the neighboring towers at this scale)...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:19 AM

It is very PoMo Dallas-Atlanta-Charlotte-y.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 4:12 AM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Crowns generally remind me of Pomo and it doesn't do a great job of engaging at street level (unless we're going by the very low bar set by the neighboring towers at this scale)...
What more could it do to engage at streetlevel, it appears to me that there are servers awnings and entrances at streetlevel, could be for retail shops, so I'm failing to see what more could be done to engage.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
What more could it do to engage at streetlevel, it appears to me that there are servers awnings and entrances at streetlevel, could be for retail shops, so I'm failing to see what more could be done to engage.
Get rid of the four-story parking podium taking up half the block.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 5:57 AM

I'm not really sure why but I just don't like the top of this building. The podium is bad enough (can you say amenity deck) but the top doesn't really reference any surrounding architecture and feels out of place. It just doesn't look 'comfortable ' in its surroundings.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:15 PM

I just don't think this building will look good in Chicago. Bottom line: doesn't fit!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
I just don't think this building will look good in Chicago. Bottom line: doesn't fit!
What doesnt fit?...the bracing on the bottom floors meet the street level ..ala JHC ..I think your looking at this way to critically...whats wrong with a diff style for chicago? its by no means a terrible building

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 2:05 AM

Any thoughts on why they went with the bracing the way they did? Will the core be able to be smaller and thus more SF per floor?

I think it at least looks interesting, especially the way the braces meet the street. The tragedy of the situation is the loss of the old building stock. I get why the land value economics make sense, but it's still very sad. I hope the row homes are moved. And it'll be really sad if this project gets off the ground, they knock those buildings down, then construction stalls out in the next recession.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 7:47 AM

I think there would be less complaints about the design of this one if that Canyon Ranch got built years back which also had a very Dallas/Miami look to it. Which I was a big fan of. I'd like to see some more round shaped rises around that area even though they would blend better in the south loop. Personal preference.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:30 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
What doesnt fit?...the bracing on the bottom floors meet the street level ..ala JHC ..I think your looking at this way to critically...whats wrong with a diff style for chicago? its by no means a terrible building
It just looks like a cheesy gimmick to me, which is why I believe many people are attributing it to a Miami or Dallas where they don't mind being flamboyant to make a sale. I personally prefer angles on a building to a dome. I do think the structural support being at the top is cool if it does indeed provide some structural relief and creates more space in the building. But let's face it, this building is about as close to an overall dildo shape as a building gets.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Highrise & Supertall Proposals