HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 9:52 PM

photo: ssilberman/flickr

ssilberman

These slides are labeled "Santa Monica, 1949"...the year seems right but not the location....in this next one it seems the photographer is in the same spot, and swings around to this:

I think this might be Dockweiler Beach, and the street Vista Del Mar...and the houses seen here part of the Surfridge neighborhood that was razed in the '60's for LAX expansion.

A further clue is that the same collection has this image:

This corner, Epinard St. and Rindge Av., was in Surfridge:

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 12:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post

]
Great photos.....cleaned up a bit.

previously posted by riichkay

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 12:54 AM

These were the houses west of LAX, and under the flight path, that were demolished. The beach photo is Dockweiler State Beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Great photos.....cleaned up a bit.

previously posted by riichkay

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 12:56 AM

7804 Vista Del Mar

Quote:

ssilberman
Great pics, riichkay! I agree that they show Surfridge, not Santa Monica. The green house (above, center) is 7804 Vista Del Mar,
at Palace Street (originally Patterson):

DW-1929-08-27-159 at USCDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post

7804 Vista Del Mar @ Patterson (later Palace Street), 1929.
USC Library (http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...id/13010/rec/1)
The demo permit for the house is dated January 9, 1968.

e_r previously posted this 1947 map, which shows Surfridge at upper left, including VDM and Palace:

1943, when Palace was still Patterson:

Historic Mapworks

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Mar 29, 2017 at 2:48 AM. Reason: Palace, not Bolt

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 12:56 AM

Thanks for the information on the Guiles Hotel/Rose McCoy Bldg. JMR, tovangar2 and Beaudry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
The McCoy house used to be there next to the base of Angels Flight, and they moved it up Third, and then Rose built this familiar figure.
Just for fun, here's a look at the McCoy house before it was moved. (far right )

http://waterandpower.org

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 29, 2017 at 2:16 AM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 2:10 AM

Art Deco

--

"Radiobar" with the bar cabinet open at the Brock & Company Jewelry Store, Los Angeles CA [1935-38]

http://digital2.library.ucla.edu/vie...198/zz002j94xn

The Radiobar company was formed by Earnest J. Krauss in 1931, 2 years before the end of Prohibition, in Los Angeles.

By 1935 Radiobar was using Philco chassis.

"Radiobar Philco" is visible between the knobs shown below.

detail

Here's a bit more about the store itself.

"Brock & Company Jewelers was the most important jewelry and giftware store in Los Angeles.
Founded by George A. Brock in 1903, it was sold in 1964 and the business ended a few years later.
The main store was located at 515 West Seventh St. and had a 2nd location at the Beverly-Wilshire Hotel."

Here is 515 W. Seventh St. today.

http://www.whereislosangeles.com/En/...Restaurant/284

I imagine the decorative iron gate is left over from it's days as a jewelry store.

__

information from:
http://digital2.library.ucla.edu/vie...198/zz002j94xn

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 2:56 AM

'mystery' location

--

Does anyone know where the 'official' garage of the Auto Club of Southern California was located?

"Classic Garage & Body Works" [January 18, 1933]

http://digital2.library.ucla.edu/vie...198/zz002hbntc

from ucla:

"View of an automobile parked outside of an art deco style garage with a sign reading "Classic Garage & Body Works, Official Garage of the Auto Club of Southern California."
A man stands on the sidewalk on the right and another man is behind a garage service truck on the left. The car pulling into the garage probably belongs to Harry Meagher*,
who was killed by an assailant with a gun in his car. In the course of the struggle, Meagher shot and killed the assailant as well. An address sign on the garage reads "6245."

hmmm.....so the ucla archive doesn't know the location either.

__

Let's take a closer look.

http://digital2.library.ucla.edu/vie...198/zz002hbnqt

Did anyone notice the lady in the window next to the mirror?

well, it appears she likes her job.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 29, 2017 at 3:10 AM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 4:15 AM

Perhaps it was 6245 Lexington:

1932 LACD @ LAPL

USC has an interior shot of 6245 Lexington here; the front window and ceiling beams seem to match what we see in the UCLA pic.

Here's more on Mr. Meagher:

January 21, 1933, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LAPL

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 5:15 AM

Auto Club of Southern California - Approved garages

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
--

Does anyone know where the 'official' garage of the Auto Club of Southern California was located?

It doesn't seem to be one garage, just approved ones, like the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval:

ebook

The list (from 1920) is kinda long & in tiny type so I did't post it.
It's at the link above.

Does the Auto Club still contract with garages?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

"Classic Garage & Body Works" [January 18, 1933]

http://digital2.library.ucla.edu/vie...198/zz002hbntc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post

Perhaps it was 6245 Lexington:

1932 LACD @ LAPL
The partial address "...INGTON AVE" is visible on the tow truck, so I agree with FW. The 1934 CD lists 6245 Lexington Avenue as an automobile garage belonging to Samuel Markowitz (as does the 1936 CD). The 1939 and 1942 CDs list a public address equipment supplier named General Communication Products Co at 6245 Lexington, and by 1956 it's the Kingsbacher-Murphy Co, who work in plastics.

ETA. I've just found the following advert in a collection called C. Hart Merriam papers relating to work with California Indians, 1850-1974. (bulk 1898-1938). It contains the name and address, and shows the phone number from the tow truck.

archive.org

Last edited by HossC; Mar 29, 2017 at 2:54 PM. Reason: Added advert image.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 3:14 PM

A grainy screenshot from a compilation of home movies described below--some LA at beginning & end, other California places, NYC & DC-- by American Airlines DC-3...

http://pepperdine.contentdm.oclc.org...ll1/id/5/rec/3

"This film is a composite of several short home movies shot by James L. Lovell on silent, color 8mm film between about 1939 and 1942. Jimmy Lovell was a good friend of George and Helen Pepperdine, as well as other Pepperdine administrators, such as Batsell Baxter and Hugh M. Tiner, who appear briefly in this film. Lovell was also an important figure in the Churches of Christ community. The majority of the footage follows Lovell and his family on their travels around the country by air on an early American Airlines DC-3, with a lot of sites shot from the plane window. Sites include San Francisco, Sequoia National Park, Hoover Dam, the Grand Canyon, Washington DC, and New York City. There is a scene at a tennis match with celebrities in the audience and the last several minutes of the film feature the 1939 Tournament of Roses parade in Pasadena, California, with a young Shirley Temple as Grand Marshall."

Pepperdine Digital Collections

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J.P. View Post
Does anyone happen to know this attractive brick building?

The sign saying "Hayden Clinic" is a prop only and has nothing to do with the real purpose of the building. The screen grab is from a 1982 episode of the "Falcon Crest" TV series. The only thing I know is that the building is somewhere in Greater L.A., most likely within the usual 30-mile filming zone.

Thank you so much for your help!

In a previous post (above), I was looking for that brick building. I still haven't discovered it yet, but was informed that there are two very smilar buildings at 1227 and 1229 South Central Avenue in Glendale, CA. Please compare the Google Street View pic below. Does anyone happen to know the architect or how to find out who the architect was? My guess is that this might help locate the building I am looking for. Certainly not sure about this kind of cross reference, but it might be worth giving it a try.

GSV:

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

I owe you big time Beaudry. A tiny thank you in return:

lapl

Don't know the address, but this might help. The 1900 Ocean Park Country Clubhouse was on Westminster, between Main and Pacific:

LA Herald,4 Sept 1904
Here's a picture of the Ocean Park Country Club building with tennis courts, although no date or location is given. A framed version appears in the 1901 section of this Ocean Park article. The start of the entry reads, "[Abbot] Kinney & [Thomas] Dudley build the Club House for the Ocean Park Country Club (Club House-Main-Westminster-Pacific)."

LAPL

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
After a few days of private homes, today's Julius Shulman post shows offices. It's "Job 887: William Beckett, William Beckett Offices (West Hollywood, Calif.), 1950". With a fair bit of duplication between the prints and contact prints, I've included most views.

The contact print of this image has scribbled notes, presumably for featuring in a publication.

It's a shame the right side of this building (9026 Melrose Avenue) cannot be seen now. The building that's blocking that view (9044 Melrose Avenue) at present is where NAPSTER is located, last I knew. These two buildings do not look good together side by side.

This location is also a few hundred feet from where the AMPAS headquarters (Academy Award Theater) used to be located, and was located when Mr. Shulman's photos were taken.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 7:00 PM

Thanks for the extra info, Martin Pal.

We're back to private homes for today's Julius Shulman post, but it is a Malibu beach house. This is "Job 5415: William Provisor, Luster House (Malibu, Calif.), 1977". Here's a selection.

I was going to stick with the color images, but there wasn't one of this view. I think the photographer is reflected in the window.

You'd have to like wood to live here - it covers nearly every interior and exterior surface.

Despite the wood, the interior is very light and airy.

The stairs lead up to this walkway. I assume the doors are closets.

This is the upstairs room with the ocean view.

All from Getty Research Institute

With all that wood next to the ocean, I didn't hold out much hope of the house surviving, but here it is at 23768 Malibu Road. I like the name of the company in the top-left .

Google Maps via supercharge.info

It looks like the Luster name in the description refers to Elizabeth Luster, and possibly her physician husband Dr Henry Luster. Elizabeth Luster was the adopted daughter of Max Factor, Sr's daughter Freda. I've only managed to find that Henry Luster is deceased, but not when. Getting considerably more internet coverage than both of his parents, their son, Andrew Luster, appears to be currently incarcerated for date-rape charges originating in 2000. He was born in 1963, and the house was built in 1974, so 23768 Malibu Road could have been one of his childhood homes.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Here's a picture of the Ocean Park Country Club building with tennis courts, although no date or location is given. A framed version appears in the 1901 section of this Ocean Park article. The start of the entry reads, "[Abbot] Kinney & [Thomas] Dudley build the Club House for the Ocean Park Country Club (Club House-Main-Westminster-Pacific)."

LAPL
Quote:

lapl

Article and a great drawing from the October 9, 1904 LA Herald here

Don't know the address, but this might help. The 1900 Ocean Park Country Clubhouse was on Westminster, between Main and Pacific:

LA Herald,4 Sept 1904

So maybe 1010 Abbot Kinney Blvd for Ocean Park Grammar School (now the Westminster Ave School)?
The Ocean Park Country Club Clubhouse was located where Westminster Park is today:

April 1909 Santa Monica Sanborn Map @ ProQuest via LAPL

As t2 suggested, the Ocean Park Grammar School was located where the Westminster Avenue School is today,
at the 35 just above center. Just below that, on the block marked 432, was where the club house was:

April 1909 Santa Monica Sanborn Map @ ProQuest via LAPL

Googlemap with Westminster Park and Westminster Avenue School:

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Mar 29, 2017 at 7:56 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 7:59 PM

Flyingwedge beat me to it. Thx FW

Quote:
Club House for the Ocean Park Country Club (Club House-Main-Westminster-Pacific).
"Main-Westminster-Pacific" was the location of the clubhouse, now Westminster off-leash park. It's how I found the other buildings. Note that the fourth street enclosing the park (on the north) is Clubhouse Avenue:

google maps

Last edited by tovangar2; Mar 29, 2017 at 8:18 PM. Reason: acknowledge other post

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 8:12 PM

Makes me think of...

Quote:

The contact print of this image has scribbled notes, presumably for featuring in a publication. As well as a couple of "Crop" directions, the one above the building intriguingly says "Bum in".

Almost a plagiarism of a painting by Mondrian. Why not ?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 8:28 PM

It appears that these photo's can all be stitched together to form a panorama.

Quote:

ssilberman

These slides are labeled "Santa Monica, 1949"...the year seems right but not the location....in this next one it seems the photographer is in the same spot, and swings around to this:

I think this might be Dockweiler Beach, and the street Vista Del Mar...and the houses seen here part of the Surfridge neighborhood that was razed in the '60's for LAX expansion.

A further clue is that the same collection has this image:

This corner, Epinard St. and Rindge Av., was in Surfridge:

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:

lapl

Article and a great drawing from the October 9, 1904 LA Herald here

LA Herald,4 Sept 1904

So maybe 1010 Abbot Kinney Blvd for Ocean Park Grammar School (now the Westminster Ave School)?

Try 1025 & 1027 Abbot Kinney Blvd (nee Washington) for the commercial buildings:

gsv

per Beaudry

Thanks again.
"Tiny" thank you my eye! Oh my Lord, how did you DO that? I'd despaired at ever finding out where those were.

It makes total sense that they filmed it in OP, since they had shot scenes with the same Elsie-girl in OP:

I was narrowing down the address myself when I saw on this page that Central Grammar was on Washington, NW corner of Westminster. Which doesn't exist, until I rememberd that that part of Washington had been renamed (in 1990, becoming Abbot Kinney).

It's noirishly gratifying of course to look back in time and see that these chi-chi businesses were once comfortably downmarket.

Besides its mid-century noir heritage, this was also, apparently, the apartment of BCPD Detective Sergeant Kenneth 'Hutch' Hutchinson—

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos