HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 5:09 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought London no longer had a Deputy Mayor, because of the abolition of the Board of Control.
So that's why I couldn't figure out who the deputy mayor was.... Thanks!

It looks like Joe's goose may be cooked.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 7:07 PM
User Registered

Someone made a meme over this:

You know something is going down when things go this far

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 7:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

the media spiral continues on Joe's forgotten wedding bill blues: http://www.torontosun.com/2012/10/18...ding-reception
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 4:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Fontana's Silence Speaks Volumes: LFP
The real story behind the Joe Fontana spending scandal
By Chip Martin, The London Free Press
Wednesday, October 24, 2012 11:17:30 EDT AM

When a vacuum arises in the political arena, spin and misinformation often take over.

It’s a standard response and in London it’s been triggered by the lack of information Mayor Joe Fontana has provided in response to questions raised about federal-government cheques that paid for his son’s wedding reception in 2005.

Fontana, under investigation by the RCMP, said precious little in public before clamming up — under orders from his lawyer.

In the absence of information, stories have festered on Twitter and the broadcast airwaves as Fontana’s political allies and supporters have turned their guns on former Marconi Club manager Joe DiPietro, who told The Free Press he accepted the cheques.

Here are some of the things they are saying:

•That DiPietro had political motives, with ties to former mayor Anne Marie DeCicco-Best.
•That he sought out the press to disparage Fontana.
•That DiPietro had been fired from the club and had some axe to grind.
•That the timing of the story makes no sense, so it must be suspect.
Conspiracy theorists are having a field day. Theirs is a classic tactic among those anxious to take scrutiny away from uncomfortable information, using the same sort of misdirection relied upon by magicians.

Fontana isn’t speaking and DiPietro is feeling the heat in the Italian community and is reluctant to say much more.

[...]
Read more here: http://www.lfpress.com/2012/10/23/th...ending-scandal
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 4:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

With friends like these...

Quote:
Key Joe Fontana ally says mayor should consider taking a break
http://www.lfpress.com/2012/10/26/ke...taking-a-break

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 7:34 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Heee-eeey Joe,

Where'you goin' with that cash in your hand?

Heee-eeey-eey Joe,

Where'you goin' with that cash in your hand?

I'm goin' down to pay for my son's wedding,

you know I found a bunch of taxpayer dollars, man

(With all due respect to Jimi Hendrix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE3FAY-NOiU

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 10:35 PM

So far it's the Killer B's (Branscombe and Bryant) that are pushing for Fontana to step aside.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 1:29 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^add B for Brown to that list, it would seem.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 4:33 AM
User Registered

I've met Mat Brown... Seems like a legitimately nice guy. Not sure what his rationale is for siding with them but I haven't done my research either.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 2:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^he is a nice guy. My son is friends with his son (same age, formerly same school)

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 11:13 PM
User Registered

Worst. Council. Ever.

Definately a take from the Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons.

http://www.lfpress.com/2012/11/02/co...the-worst-ever

Thoughts? I don't really pay attention to the councils of other cities so I don't have much to compare our city to.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 3, 2012, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Worst. Council. Ever.

Thoughts? I don't really pay attention to the councils of other cities so I don't have much to compare our city to.
Worst. Newspaper. Ever.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2012, 6:59 PM

Worst council title would belong to those of the late 60s - early 70s that stalled and ultimately rejected an in-city 402 route. A decision that still haunts London negatively to this day, way worse than anything today's council could do.

The current council, Fontana's federal shenanigans aside, isn't the worst. The most politicized, the most polarized I'd agree. The worst, it's just to sell papers. Sure there are some jackasses on council, but if anything LFPress doesn't like the pro-development slant of council. If it was the other way 8-7 against development I'm sure we would here Best. Council. Ever. accounding the LFPress

Old Posted Nov 3, 2012, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
Worst. Newspaper. Ever.
Agreed. I don't touch anything owned by Quebecor with a ten-foot pole.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 11:42 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Agreed. I don't touch anything owned by Quebecor with a ten-foot pole.
Ditto for Torstar. Globe & Mail and Postmedia publications are all I bother spending time on, although the Canadian news scene is pretty pathetic as a whole.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
Ditto for Torstar. Globe & Mail and Postmedia publications are all I bother spending time on, although the Canadian news scene is pretty pathetic as a whole.
I was a loyal Globe & Mail online reader, until they added that paywall. I don't have spare money to spend on subscribing to a news website when I can get CBC's content for free. Mind you, CBC's quality has taken a nosedive over the past five years, with more sensationalism than ever before. Eventually I might get the print edition of the G&M, but not right now.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2012, 4:49 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
I was a loyal Globe & Mail online reader, until they added that paywall. I don't have spare money to spend on subscribing to a news website when I can get CBC's content for free. Mind you, CBC's quality has taken a nosedive over the past five years, with more sensationalism than ever before. Eventually I might get the print edition of the G&M, but not right now.
I don't actually pay for any of these print editions, I just nick them from the UWO law library. I had actually forgotten about the Globe's paywall, but it's easy peasy to get around it. All you have to do is manually clear all browser cookies and/or reset your IP address by power-cycling the router. I suppose the G&M hasn't figured out that their average reader is probably clever enough to do that.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 3:57 PM
User Registered

"I'm not going anywhere"

Yay....

http://mayorfontana.ca/?p=524

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 6:28 PM

After all the delays, and lack of response from Fontana, looks like he is officially fried.

http://www.lfpress.com/2012/11/21/lo...ed-by-the-rcmp

Quote:
London Mayor Joe Fontana is facing three criminal charges relating to a federal cheque that paid the deposit on the 2005 wedding reception for his son Michael, his lawyer says.

The charges of fraud, breach of trust by a public official and uttering forged documents were filed against him Wednesday by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police following an investigation of more than two months.
Don't know how in good conscience he can continue to serve as mayor. He needs to step aside while he fights his legal troubles...

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 6:30 PM

I would be shocked to see him stay on. I expect a resignation by the end of the week at the VERY latest.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy