HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 8:33 PM

Revised 1031 canal plan since City Counsel approval. No new rendering yet.

www.1031canal.com

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Its two stories and across from the new library. Giant oak tree in front!

BTW while at City Hall today I saw the last retail spot in that 3001 Tulane Center was rented. It will be a yogurt shop. What I think is great it how successful it seems the center has been. Hopefully this foreshadows much more retail for this strip.
Is this right across from the Crescent? I live two blocks from there, and a new pizza place already opened up within the last month. Wherever it is, glad to hear that a yogurt shop will be nearby.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 9:46 PM

Crescent Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Is this right across from the Crescent? I live two blocks from there, and a new pizza place already opened up within the last month. Wherever it is, glad to hear that a yogurt shop will be nearby.
Yes that's it.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 12:03 AM
-

Yeah the Pizzicare opened in the same place!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 1:04 AM
BANNED

Who’s Afraid of a Little Height

By Martin C. Pedersen
Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:55 pm

http://www.metropolismag.com/pov/201...-little-height

The corner of Canal and Rampart Streets in 1954.

I’d been driving past the long abandoned Woolworth’s store on the corner of Canal and Ramparts Streets since I moved to New Orleans in July. And every time past I thought, in my typical New York naiveté (if such a thing exists), “That site desperately needs a building—the bigger, the better!” Later I learned that a somewhat controversial project was in fact awaiting approval: a 190-foot, mixed-use residential tower. Urbanistically speaking, this is just what the doctor ordered. The right building here on the upper edge of the French Quarter could act as a kind of gateway to both the quarter to the east and the downtown business district.

The historic preservationists in town almost reflexively opposed the project, citing its excessive height (seventy feet taller than current zoning). The truth is, preservationists here have a longstanding aversion to both tall buildings and (or should we say especially?) modern ones. This proposed tower, pushed by the local developer Praveen Kailas and designed by Harry Baker Smith Architects, was clearly a duel offender.

The corner today, Photo: Martin C. Pedersen

Now I am sympathetic to historic preservation in New Orleans. One of the very reasons I moved here was the city’s rich and glorious stock of historic buildings. But I think preservation arguments here were a little thin: the edges of the French Quarter have long been compromised by a slew of urban insults. In the 1980s the city allowed Marriot to build a 450-foot hotel on Canal Street, just blocks from the proposed tower. There are a number of parking lots lining Ramparts Street, inside the historic district. A parking garage abuts the proposed tower. A tall apartment building, with a strong street presence on Ramparts and 24-7 activity, might actually help the French Quarter.

The proposed development.

No, on this one, I side with the Big Bad Developer. Even his claim that he needs the extra floors to secure bank financing seems convincing in this economic climate. (I spoke to another developer who expressed doubts about whether this tower would even happen, even the general reluctance of banks to lend.) The goods news: late last week the New Orleans City Council approved the tower by a vote of 5-2. And I suspect that the two dissenting councilmembers—both of whom are seeking citywide office next spring—were more interested in currying favor with vocal preservationists than actually opposing the development.

Let’s hope it moves forward: that forlorn corner needs some help.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 1:11 AM

Excellent article. Thanks.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 4:43 AM
-

Not sure if everyone picked up on this from the above article but one of the editors has moved to New Orleans and the magazine now has a new regional office. A great article to read and another positive for our city. Heres a brief excerpt on the move!

Our Man in New Orleans
Executive editor Martin Pedersen moves to the Crescent City and Metropolis gets a regional office.
By Susan S. Szenasy
Posted September 9, 2011
Be the first to comment on this article

I overhear a conversation between Martin and Dungjai about a story in the issue you are now reading. There is nothing unusual about this bit of communication between our executive editor and art director; it happens daily during our monthly production cycle. But what’s different about this particular conversation is that Martin is in New Orleans and Dungjai is in New York. They—and everyone in our editorial and art departments—are working out the technical and procedural details of collaborating between two locations. Martin Pedersen now resides in NOLA and the Metropolis mother ship remains anchored in Manhattan.

http://www.metropolismag.com/story/2...in-new-orleans

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 4:56 AM

"I live a thousand miles away but side with the local preservationists. Once it become a bank box, there will never be the sense of unique French Quarter again."

I had to reply to this misinformed woman. As if there is anything unique about that abandon building....

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 6:34 AM
-

seriously where do they find these people ! well fights over. On to the next thing !

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 2:26 PM

Wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie himself View Post
"I live a thousand miles away but side with the local preservationists. Once it become a bank box, there will never be the sense of unique French Quarter again."

I had to reply to this misinformed woman. As if there is anything unique about that abandon building....
Wrong wrong wrong!!! The lunch counter is unique!!!! (sarcasm).

I'm in no way opposed to saving historically important artifacts from the civil rights movement, but the way the VCPORA went about that was petty and sickening (especially the radio ad they played in an attempt to stir up racial tensions).

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 2:47 PM

Taco Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
http://uptownmessenger.com/2011/09/t...-citys-review/

"In Uptown New Orleans, a run for the border may soon get a good bit quicker.

On Tuesday, the city planning commission will review plans for a Taco Bell restaurant in the long-vacant Pizza Hut building on South Claiborne Avenue. Also on Tuesday’s agenda is a child-psychology clinic proposed in an old home on Maple Street...."

(photo courtesy of Jean-Paul Villere)

------------------------------------------

I prefer to call it Taco Hell myself (for reasons that need not be named on this blog) but my friends sorely miss having their drunk snack spot...so at least it gets rid of blight....

As for the home office thing...come on people, that's fine...
Taco Bell was speedily approved while the neighbors of Maple were able to shoot down the child psychology office...They're sick of commerical encroaching on them. I'm glad the neighbors of Freret street arent' dumb like the Maple ones are. Though I heard that some of the Freret corridor people are upset that the city is going to do corner bumpouts (like on Oak, but only at corners) and that it's going to make the street "too narrow." Come on.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 2:51 PM
-

Quote:
Taco Bell was speedily approved while the neighbors of Maple were able to shoot down the child psychology office...They're sick of commerical encroaching on them. I'm glad the neighbors of Freret street arent' dumb like the Maple ones are. Though I heard that some of the Freret corridor people are upset that the city is going to do corner bumpouts (like on Oak, but only at corners) and that it's going to make the street "too narrow." Come on.
Actually the issue with bumpouts on Freret is a bit more complicated than Oak Street and its actually many of the business owners that are concerned and it has to do with the buses. Oak Street isnt a bus line and Freret is. With the bumpouts it will be difficult for the buses to stop and not cause traffic issues on Freret. Im sure it will be designed to work right but it is a valid concern for the street!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 3:11 PM
Ex Houstonian

That Woolworths building is so far gone that I couldnt imagine any historic preservationist throwing a fit over tearing it down. If it still had the original art deco facade, than yes, preserve it. But, its been so altered that you might as well tear it down and replace it with some good density and height.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 3:12 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Actually the issue with bumpouts on Freret is a bit more complicated than Oak Street and its actually many of the business owners that are concerned and it has to do with the buses. Oak Street isnt a bus line and Freret is. With the bumpouts it will be difficult for the buses to stop and not cause traffic issues on Freret. Im sure it will be designed to work right but it is a valid concern for the street!
It's still not a valid concern.

The bus only comes every 15 minutes, and that's at rush hour! If it stops for 15 seconds to drop off one or two people, it's not gonna cause a traffic jam. In fact, you can design the curb bumpouts to extend a little bit down the road, which allows the bus to open its doors from the main travel lane. That removes the need for a "bus stop zone" and allows for roughly 2 more parking spaces to be added. (I'm assuming the road surface in the travel lanewould be changed to concrete near bus stops) Plus, the bumpout provides a dignified place to wait, such as a bench or shelter, that does not encroach on the sidewalk.

Streetsblog

To be honest, I think the high speed of the traffic on Freret is actually harmful. Nobody wants to cross a street where everybody is rocketing past at 45mph. There is a stop sign at Valence, but at night, at least 50% of drivers ignore it. I'd love to see a Freret Street exactly like Oak, one of the very few places outside of the CBD/FQ that is actually pedestrian-friendly - but which also accommodates drivers and parking very well.

Last edited by ardecila; Sep 28, 2011 at 3:39 PM. Reason: they

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Wrong wrong wrong!!! The lunch counter is unique!!!! (sarcasm).

I'm in no way opposed to saving historically important artifacts from the civil rights movement, but the way the VCPORA went about that was petty and sickening (especially the radio ad they played in an attempt to stir up racial tensions).
And before those petty radio ads even started, the developer said that there were plans to salvage the lunch counter to be included in the development. If he can't include it, then I'm sure he'll donate to one of the many cultural institutions in the city. The VCPORA are hypocrites, because if they were so concerned about the civil rights legacy then they wouldn't want it to be rotting in a blighted building!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 3:30 PM

Freret

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It's still not a valid concern.

The bus only comes every 15 minutes (and that's at rush hour!) If it stops for 15 seconds to drop off one or two people, it's not gonna cause a traffic jam. In fact, you can design the curb bumpouts to extend a little bit down the road, which allows the bus to open its doors from the main travel lane. That removes the need for a "bus stop zone" and allows for roughly 2 more parking spaces to be added.

Streetsblog

To be honest, I think the high speed of the traffic on Freret is actually harmful. Nobody wants to cross a street where everybody is rocketing past at 45mph. There is a stop sign at Valence, but at night, at least 50% of drivers ignore it. I'd love to see a Freret Street exactly like Oak, one of the very few places outside of the CBD/FQ that is actually pedestrian-friendly - but which also accommodates drivers and parking very well.
Agreed. Also, the buses never have enough room at the bus stops to pull all the way over and get out of traffic anyway. 90% of the time you end up with a bus with the front at the curb and the rear fully blocking traffic ...so i dont see the big deal. It's not like the bus stop at Canal and loyola either, where you have 50 people getting on and off. It's likely to only have 2 -4 people at each stop on freret...big deal.

I wouldn't speed if I were you...they added speed cameras on freret between jefferson and Napoleon and I think it's only 20 mph through there (so anything over 25 and you get a ticket).

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 3:53 PM

Good post Mike about Mid-City.

What's going in @ Canal and Carrollton though?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 5:56 PM
-

All I was saying was there were concerns about the bumpouts creating a bottleneck. The street is going to continue getting busier. I dont think it hurts to take time and think through the streets current state and where it will be in a few years. Making sure the best design possible is devised is smart. Bumpouts will be a part of the plan Im sure. BTW I hate traffic cameras as much as the next guy but I cant help but think it will just make the street more pedestrian friendly in this case!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 5:57 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley Santamaria View Post
Good post Mike about Mid-City.

What's going in @ Canal and Carrollton though?
Thats a new First NBC if your talking about the building by Walgreens.

This article is a bit old but its the Mayors Press release on launching Pedicab Operations:

http://www.nola.gov/PRESS/City-Of-Ne...W-ORLEANS.aspx

Now on to the big kahuna of fixing our taxi system.

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 28, 2011 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 6:32 PM

1. I wonder if the upper stories of retail at 1031 Canal could be used for a stadium seating movie theater instead? It would seem to fit with the development of that location as the Entertainment District. Times Square has managed to meld both conventional theaters with stadium multiplexes.

2. The discussion regarding Maple / Freret and the expansion of retail has me thinking about a related topic I've thought about -- where the expansion of both neighborhood-oriented and car-oriented retail in the city will occur? It seems like there just aren't many spots in the city that a national retailer could choose to locate in, even if they wanted to be in the city rather than Metairie. And what little there is, is considerably more per sq. foot than you'd pay in Metairie, with much less advantageous parking situations. I'm no fan of strip centers and car-oriented retail, but I think it is necessary to win back some of the retail shops that target the entire metro area and right now all go to Veterans Ave. So is the expansion going to come on Tulane Avenue, with mixed use centers on the large parcels developers are snapping up? Is there room for redevelopment on Claiborne? Will Market Street and South Market meet the demand such as it is? Or am I just imagining there is even a demand where there isn't?

3. Another thing I've thought about is whether New Orleans will ever see Houston-style townhomes. Again, I'm not a huge fan of townhomes, but I imagine developers build them in Houston because for most of the inner loop, that is the optimal use of the land and that's what people want to buy (plus, zoning presents no issue--but then, most lots in New Orleans are zoned two-family). Granted buyers look for different things in Houston than New Orleans, but it seems like there should be some market for it. Is it because the lots are too small to put two townhomes on 1 lot?

Sorry if these are dumb comments ... I am far from being a real estate professional. Just interested in the redevelopment of the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations