HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 12:48 PM
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmc9th View Post
^^^ why does the tower have all those holes in it? That looks kind bad :/ will they be covered up STR? Or will they not be that visible from below
you can see them here, although they don't look the same

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 12:59 PM

Location: enjoying life in Tønsberg the coolest little town in Norway
stunning rendering there will be a beauty when completed and the way u can see all of the interior is very cool i wonder if the real tower will look that transparent on certaint sections

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/

Last edited by Infernal_Elf; Nov 17, 2010 at 7:50 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 1:48 PM

Exclamation

I want more cladding for breakfast.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 1:59 PM

Looks like more glass is being installed. Two sections--near that big elevator, and on the same level as the corner piece.

You can see it on the earthcam!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 3:03 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
^Any negative there is from walking 3 blocks from Fulton, is made up for by walking just 1 block from PATH
I doubt anybody would find even 3 blocks a negative. The WTC site is now virtually tied into the Fulton St tansit center (check out the animation, the lower levels of the Freedom Tower are towards the end, or about 25 seconds in...)

Video Link

When its all open, sometime in 2014, you'll be able to walk all the way from the Fulton center all the way to the World Financial Center, and never step outside. But it's a pedestrian oriented city anyway. There are times of the day when you can watch and join the flow of people to or from the transit centers, like Penn Station, Grand Central, the Port Authority Bus Terminal, even the WTC PATH terminal. That's the good thing about it, basically everthing downtown is within walking distance of the WTC.

http://www.dnainfo.com/20101115/down...-rise/comments
One World Trade Center’s Shining Facade Begins to Rise

November 15, 2010
By Julie Shapiro

Quote:
The first stainless steel and sparkling glass panels for the facade on One World Trade Center began to rise this week and are already attracting attention from blocks away.

"It looks good," said Angela Medina, 20, a student who was visiting the site from New Jersey on Monday. "It’s going to look different from all the other buildings around. I’m definitely looking forward to seeing it when it’s done."

The tower won’t open until 2013, but workers installed the first pieces of the stainless steel exterior on three corners of the 20th floor on Sunday. They then began adding glass on Monday, said Steve Coleman, spokesman for the Port Authority.

In all, the 1,776-foot skyscraper, formerly known as the Freedom Tower, will feature 12,000 glass panels, each of which is 5 feet wide and more than 13 feet tall.

The facade panels will form eight tall triangles of glass and steel, which grow alternately wider and narrower as they approach the top of the building. David M. Childs designed the tower’s glimmering exterior to refract light and change its appearance depending on the weather and the viewer’s position.

The first 20 floors of the building, which include the lobby and mechanical space, will have a more porous facade made of prismatic glass and an aluminum screen.

Construction workers at the World Trade Center site were said they were impressed by the first glimpse of the building’s future skin this week.

"Officially, I’m not allowed to have a comment," said one worker who is helping build One World Trade Center. "Unofficially, I think it looks sweet."

"You can start to see the scope of the building," another worker added. "You can see what it’s going to be."

Structural steel for the $3.2 billion tower has risen to the 48th floor and will continue going up at the rate of one floor per week, Coleman said. Soon, the facade will be following behind at the same rate, he said.

When the building is complete, it will stand tallest in the city.

Steven Carter, 58, a pedestrian manager who has been posted on Vesey Street near the site for the past two months, said Monday that the visible progress was encouraging.

"The way it’s going, it’s gonna look beautiful," said Carter, a Queens resident. "It’s gonna look fabulous."

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Anna Wintour's New Office to be Very Well Protected

What's with all the good news coming out of the redevelopment of ground zero these days? High-profile tenants coming aboard, waterfalls turned on, facades going up on new buildings—after years of squabbling, these good vibes are just what the doctor ordered. And on cue, here's the Post's Steve Cuozzo to deliver the patient some bad news.

The latest concern down at the World Trade Center is what the NYPD has up its sleeve regarding security. The coppers are about to start getting serious about its proposed security measures, and there are fears that barricades, vehicle-screening turntables and closed streets will create a "war zone" and ruin any chance the new WTC has for being an open and thriving hub of activity. Clearly these people forget that there's a terrorist motel in the works just two blocks away! One source tells Cuozzo "there will definitely be some level of change to the open-street grid" under the NYPD's plan, but the details are still in their very early stages and other parties, like prospective 1 World Trade Center tenant Condé Nast, will be consulted. Phew, for a minute there we were worried that New Yorker and Vogue staffers wouldn't be briefed on matters of national security.
· Security or access?
http://ny.curbed.com/

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 3:32 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 3:58 PM

Is there some sheet on the new glass or are they just installing every other piece currently? Guess it's just me (or maybe the camera), but the pieces don't seem to match. Hope someone here will get some clear shots up today

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 5:29 PM
Editor

Great to see the cladding coming now!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 5:39 PM

Wow they added 4 pieces in a row, now thats what I'm talking about!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 5:39 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
The coppers are about to start getting serious about its proposed security measures, and there are fears that barricades, vehicle-screening turntables and closed streets will create a "war zone" and ruin any chance the new WTC has for being an open and thriving hub of activity.
lol, i'm pretty sure that the new WTC site will be a beautiful and very busy place.

Quote:
Clearly these people forget that there's a terrorist motel in the works just two blocks away!
, good one. seriously, everyone coming from the mosque should get screened when entering the WTC lol (joke )

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 6:19 PM
Editor

Cam update, a bit worst quality but ok:

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 7:07 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lion View Post
you can see them here, although they don't look the same.
Yeah, the official renders just show giant holes in the facade. Literally, glass stops, the floor is open to the world. Which...is nothing I've ever seen on a building. I can see practical problems with random objects (like birds) even at that height. Plus, it just seems like an unnecessary safety hazard when someone has to go in and check the exhausts/intakes/whatever is up there.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 7:17 PM

damn perception, look at the number 2 and 4 cam on the discovery channel website
# 2 shows that its sooo tall, yet # 4 shows kinda the opposite -_-
p.s. dnt knw hpw to attached a pic so i just post the link:

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/the-risi...ctures-02.html

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 7:19 PM

That one piece of glass. Just chillin there lol

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 8:06 PM
Heavy User

I'm loving all the context shots from around the city now that it's beginning to rise up from above its neighbors. Can't wait to see more cladding on this.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 9:37 PM

Hasnt anyone else noticed the other new Glass that has been installed on the tower ? its the side of the tower facing earthcam right hand side of the construction elevators http://www.earthcam.com/clients/grou...groundZero.swf

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 9:46 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

This tread has been growing exponentially since the first panels were installed. Can't wait to see the first few floors in cladding.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 9:47 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Still messing around with the details (like the reflectivity of the glass, which I turned down in the 2nd wider-angle shot), but here's really, truely, actually what the base, and its mythical "prismatic glass", will look like.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 9:57 PM
Honored Member

Wow, I think ya nailed it STR ! That looks just like the image in my head when I look at the prints !

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive