HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2061  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 4:15 AM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I always thought the Lucid Group of Companies was behind The FlatIron?
http://www.luxrestaurantgroup.com/

and poking around there I see this coffeehouse with locations in Centennial, Jamieson and "Lucid Square at Ramsay Crossing." Address is on 26th Ave SE and looks very near to Caffe Rosso- looks like more good coffee times in your neck of the woods.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2062  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 11:21 PM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,916
For those of you who've been lamenting the loss of Wicked Wedge (to Chinook Centre), I beg you to try Una Pizza which is its more upscale replacement.

I had lunch there today- ordered 3 "pintxos" or something like that, tapas, for $5. These were little skewers of anchovy, bocconcini and roasted red pepper with a dollop of pesto (or some similar sort of basil salsa). They were AMAZING, and I mean "one of the best things I've ever tasted" amazing.

I had a pizza with potato- have always loved potato pizza since discovering it at Amato in Toronto. This version has a little schmier of honey under the cheese (no red sauce) for a gorgous sweet-savoury-salty combo all on top of what is quite simply the best pizza crust I have ever eaten. And i mean EVER. It was orgasmic.

I had water- they do house-filtered water just like Rush does- and an espresso after- and Lord thank you, this is finally a restaurant that gets the importance of coffee: they actually pull Intelligentsia Black Cat!

Pizza was $14. I'd have paid twice that, it was that good.

I might have a new favourite restaurant in Calgary.

http://www.unapizzeria.com/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2063  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 11:49 PM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreth View Post

Do they do eat-in? I'm seriously considering doing a Friday night visit followed by a walk over to the Dog 'n Duck Pub for some refreshments following dinner.
I stopped off at the Beef Shack for lunch today, their winter hours are 11-3pm. Which means you'll have to hit the Dog 'n Duck a little earlier than usual. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2064  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 11:51 PM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
http://www.luxrestaurantgroup.com/

and poking around there I see this coffeehouse with locations in Centennial, Jamieson and "Lucid Square at Ramsay Crossing." Address is on 26th Ave SE and looks very near to Caffe Rosso- looks like more good coffee times in your neck of the woods.
I knew there was a connection. I won't be holding my breath for Lucid Square to be built. There's so much office space available around these parts, one would have to be insane to build.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2065  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 11:55 PM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
For those of you who've been lamenting the loss of Wicked Wedge (to Chinook Centre), I beg you to try Una Pizza which is its more upscale replacement.

I had lunch there today- ordered 3 "pintxos" or something like that, tapas, for $5. These were little skewers of anchovy, bocconcini and roasted red pepper with a dollop of pesto (or some similar sort of basil salsa). They were AMAZING, and I mean "one of the best things I've ever tasted" amazing.

I had a pizza with potato- have always loved potato pizza since discovering it at Amato in Toronto. This version has a little schmier of honey under the cheese (no red sauce) for a gorgous sweet-savoury-salty combo all on top of what is quite simply the best pizza crust I have ever eaten. And i mean EVER. It was orgasmic.

I had water- they do house-filtered water just like Rush does- and an espresso after- and Lord thank you, this is finally a restaurant that gets the importance of coffee: they actually pull Intelligentsia Black Cat!

Pizza was $14. I'd have paid twice that, it was that good.

I might have a new favourite restaurant in Calgary.

http://www.unapizzeria.com/

Do they have pizza by the slice at 3 am?

THe folks who bought Wicked Wedge must have more money than brains. They paid around $200,000 for the business. Since they've moved it to Chinook and appear to have all new equipment, they just bought the name.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2066  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 12:14 AM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Do they have pizza by the slice at 3 am?
No. No slices.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2067  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 5:09 PM
bigcanuck bigcanuck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,278
Valentine's Day suggestions

A little over 2 weeks to the first Hallmark holiday of the year. Looking for a little location advice from the dining crew on SSP. Yes, price is a factor but not the only one - we don't mind spending $150 all-in for the night. And, yes, a place that takes reservations is a must (we'd love to try Jaro Blue but they don't take reservations).

Can anyone recommend:
A place where you can order off of the menu or where the set Valentine's Day menu is 'reasonable' - ie. not $85/person plus $35/person wine pairing on top of it. We want a nice meal but not one that equals a mortgage payment.

Places we have tried and like (for comparison):
Olives, Belgo, Rush, Alloy, Muse
(apparently we only like restaurants with one-word names... Ha).

Style:
We're leaning away from Asian or Indian - leaning towards Italian, French, Spanish or contemporary.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2068  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 6:43 PM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,854
^ There is always Living Room with the tasting menu which should still be in your price range. Always good in my experience (that is, if it is still open)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2069  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 12:21 AM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcanuck View Post
A little over 2 weeks to the first Hallmark holiday of the year. Looking for a little location advice from the dining crew on SSP. Yes, price is a factor but not the only one - we don't mind spending $150 all-in for the night. And, yes, a place that takes reservations is a must (we'd love to try Jaro Blue but they don't take reservations).

Can anyone recommend:
A place where you can order off of the menu or where the set Valentine's Day menu is 'reasonable' - ie. not $85/person plus $35/person wine pairing on top of it. We want a nice meal but not one that equals a mortgage payment.

Places we have tried and like (for comparison):
Olives, Belgo, Rush, Alloy, Muse
(apparently we only like restaurants with one-word names... Ha).

Style:
We're leaning away from Asian or Indian - leaning towards Italian, French, Spanish or contemporary.
Sugo? Capo (probably too expensive)? Centini? UNA PIZZA (AMAZING!)?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2070  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 12:30 AM
Wigs's Avatar
Wigs Wigs is offline
NewBuffaloRising
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: St. Catharines-Niagara CMA
Posts: 3,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcanuck View Post
A little over 2 weeks to the first Hallmark holiday of the year. Looking for a little location advice from the dining crew on SSP. Yes, price is a factor but not the only one - we don't mind spending $150 all-in for the night. And, yes, a place that takes reservations is a must (we'd love to try Jaro Blue but they don't take reservations).

Can anyone recommend:
A place where you can order off of the menu or where the set Valentine's Day menu is 'reasonable' - ie. not $85/person plus $35/person wine pairing on top of it. We want a nice meal but not one that equals a mortgage payment.

Places we have tried and like (for comparison):
Olives, Belgo, Rush, Alloy, Muse
(apparently we only like restaurants with one-word names... Ha).

Style:
We're leaning away from Asian or Indian - leaning towards Italian, French, Spanish or contemporary.
I can't vouch for many upscale restaurants in Calgary, but JAROblue has great food! The place is tiny, and you might feel crowded, but the food is worth it. My ex (a crazy but fun Korean gal) was impressed.
__________________
American Horror Story: White House edition
Season starts January 20, 2017
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2071  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 11:05 PM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,282
This sucks. The last thing this city needs is to lose another live music venue. I wish the ALCB would catch up with the times.


I t's been a rough week for the denizens of Calgary's after-hours scene now that The Warehouse and The Underground have gone underground for good -- as in six feet under.

The joint clubs on 10th Avenue S.W., which were a staple of the city's nightlife for 26 years, have closed their doors permanently after losing their Class C liquor licence last weekend.

The venue, which has also been a popular spot for live music in the past decade, has been classified as a private club since opening in 1984.

That Class C status allowed the Warehouse/Underground to operate as an after-hours establishment where people could stay and dance long after the last call for alcohol at 2 a.m.

"We had a huge niche in the afterhours (scene)," the club's owner, Chris Hewitt, said on Thursday. "We are the niche, that's it. There's nobody else."

But according to the Alberta Liquor and Gaming Commission, the Warehouse/Underground wasn't following the guidelines set for private clubs.

"In recent years, we've received complaints that it's not a private club, that they're open to the public. (Their) events are advertised to the general public," noted Lynn Hutchings-Mah, a communications officer for the commission. "In a typical private club, if you're a member, you have to go in and show a membership card, and, if you've got guests, you have to sign them in."

Hewitt counters that the club was pushing its membership dictates, but he admits there was a few cracks in the system.

"There will be multi-thousands of people coming through the room every year, so if we happened to let a small trickle of people in who managed to get through without a membership, it's not all that stunning," he said.

Hutchings-Mah said the commission tried "to work with the licensee," encouraging the Warehouse/Underground to apply for a Class A (minors prohibited) licence -- similar to a typical nightclub.

As Hewitt saw it, though, "they were trying to strong-arm us into doing that."

The main reason the Class A status wouldn't work for the Warehouse/ Underground, said Hewitt, is that it would force the club to clear out its premises every night by 3 a.m., thus eliminating its status as an afterhours hot spot.

"There's going to be a very big hole (when it comes to) mid-size concert venues," he said.

In recent years, internationally acclaimed indie rock acts such as Caribou, Jello Biafra, the Boredoms, King Khan & The Shrines, the Hold Steady and Gaslight Anthem have performed at the Warehouse/Underground.

Before it became a live venue, the club was central to Calgary's DJ dance scene, added Hewitt, a DJ himself.

Ultimately, Hewitt feels he was mistreated by the commission.

"It's not like I was running some underground crime scene," he said. "It's not like this was a blight on Calgary and everybody will breath a sigh of relief. . . .

"Everyone just goes there to dance."
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...900/story.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2072  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 9:04 PM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,916
Partner and I had dinner at Una Pizza last night- my second visit- and I am now officially in love.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2073  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 5:08 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,756
Going to the Flames game tonight, trying out Loungeburger before the game. Can't wait!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2074  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 8:05 PM
kap384's Avatar
kap384 kap384 is offline
Littering and............
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 514
Do you have a reservation? If not, get there damn early! A few Friday's ago I was there and grabbed the last seat in the lounge @ 4:15.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2075  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 8:19 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,756
No reservation, I called them and they said they were already booked and to get there early for a seat.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2076  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 8:25 PM
Innersoul1's Avatar
Innersoul1 Innersoul1 is offline
City of Blinding Lights
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post

"There will be multi-thousands of people coming through the room every year, so if we happened to let a small trickle of people in who managed to get through without a membership, it's not all that stunning," he said.

Did he really say "multi-thousands?"

It is a shame that the Warehouse and Underground closed but they clearly were abusing their after-hours license. It's one of those things that if alcohol was to be served after hours you need to follow that. I have always wondered how they got away with that.
__________________
Sweet dreams are made of cheese. Who am I to diss a brie?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2077  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 10:14 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Did he really say "multi-thousands?"

It is a shame that the Warehouse and Underground closed but they clearly were abusing their after-hours license. It's one of those things that if alcohol was to be served after hours you need to follow that. I have always wondered how they got away with that.
That's one part I didn't get.. I've been to the afterhours a few times after 3am and I never saw alcohol being served. Even back in the day on the day of their annual anniversary they would stay open 24 hrs all weekend, and I recall sometime around 2:30 everyone would have to leave, and then come back in at 3 since no one by law could have open liquor in an establishment after 3am.
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Development Watch - Forums
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2078  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 11:31 PM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Did he really say "multi-thousands?"

It is a shame that the Warehouse and Underground closed but they clearly were abusing their after-hours license. It's one of those things that if alcohol was to be served after hours you need to follow that. I have always wondered how they got away with that.
That was the E talking.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2079  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 3:53 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,756
Loungeburger report from last night:

Holy crap it is packed on a Flames game night. We got there at 4:50 and there wasn't a single spot left in the bar, the restaurant side was fully reserved. So we bellied up to the bar (no stools left) and waited to pounce on the first table or bar chairs to open up.

After about half an hour we spotted two bar chairs being vacated and managed to slot ourselves in. I ordered the Wonton Shrimps to start, they were very tasty. For the main course I went with the Kobe beef burger...delicious! Topped it all off with some Creme Brule for dessert and headed off to the game after that.

Considering the place was absolutely jam packed the service was very good, and the meals came very quick. Can't wait to go again!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2080  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 7:20 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Loungeburger report from last night:

Holy crap it is packed on a Flames game night. We got there at 4:50 and there wasn't a single spot left in the bar, the restaurant side was fully reserved. So we bellied up to the bar (no stools left) and waited to pounce on the first table or bar chairs to open up.

After about half an hour we spotted two bar chairs being vacated and managed to slot ourselves in. I ordered the Wonton Shrimps to start, they were very tasty. For the main course I went with the Kobe beef burger...delicious! Topped it all off with some Creme Brule for dessert and headed off to the game after that.

Considering the place was absolutely jam packed the service was very good, and the meals came very quick. Can't wait to go again!
So how much does something like a Kobe beef burger run you?
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Development Watch - Forums
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:42 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.