HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 2:05 PM

I was surprised to learn that the OC Tanner building is made of Sanpete County limestone. I have a 140-year-old week-end house made of Sanpete County limestone and it's even in Sanpete County. When the stone is cut it's almost as white as chalk. It doesn't stay white, though.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 2:43 PM

I walked by the new O.C. Tanner earlier this week and was amazed that it is already finished. I guess I've just gotten used to the idea of downtown being under construction and was surprised to see something finished.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 2:58 PM

Here is a link to some videos showing progress of the OC Tanner Flagship Store. Its interesting that the ornate items on the building are cast out of terracotta.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 6:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraperdude801 View Post
... Are we even certain that the Arch still exists? What condition is it in? I think this would be a great addition to city creek park, Pioneer Park, or on 400 S. and Main as an entrance to historic Main Street. .... I think we should suggest this to the DT Alliance and the chamber, and others who are involved with the DT Rising planning goals.
The arch no longer exists. It was a temporary structure made out of wood and sprayed down with salt water until it crystalized (sounds very burningman). I propose a more permanent structure at some prominent location in the City.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 9:08 PM
BANNED

Last edited by urbanboy; Sep 4, 2009 at 9:33 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 9:47 PM
I want a 458

I like this idea.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 11:42 PM

I don't understand why people who are so against the skybridge think it's okay to impede the view and traffic with an arch. Anyway we will have a little bit of Paris when CCC opens. Remember what they said? Sure, take Paris, take away drinking, smoking, anything that's fun and you have a very little tiny unrecognisable bit of Paris left. (Sorry, calling CCC a little bit of Paris is very funny.)

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 12:34 AM

The problem with skybridges isn't just that they impede views, it's that in the case of CCC the design will probably take pedestrians off of Main Street and prevent them from exploring businesses around the project. This kind of an arch doesn't have that effect because it isn't a pedestrian bridge.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight-Seer View Post
I don't understand why people who are so against the skybridge think it's okay to impede the view and traffic with an arch. Anyway we will have a little bit of Paris when CCC opens. Remember what they said? Sure, take Paris, take away drinking, smoking, anything that's fun and you have a very little tiny unrecognisable bit of Paris left. (Sorry, calling CCC a little bit of Paris is very funny.)
It was the Main Street Plaza that was described as "a little bit of Paris," not CCC. So, we already have that. I think they meant "a little bit of Paris, Idaho," though.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 1:36 AM

There is a HUGE difference between a glass box and a well done arch!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justnslcsugarhood. View Post
There is a HUGE difference between a glass box and a well done arch!
That arch that Urbanboy posted would be a bigger obstruction to the view corridor than that "glass box" could ever be. I think the arguments surrounding the skybridge are interesting and valid, but the view corridor point is bogus, especially if you don't have a problem with that arch. There are real reasons to oppose a bridge, but blocking that section of the Wasatch mountains is a favor that the LDS church is doing. Ugly.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeST View Post
That arch that Urbanboy posted would be a bigger obstruction to the view corridor than that "glass box" could ever be. I think the arguments surrounding the skybridge are interesting and valid, but the view corridor point is bogus, especially if you don't have a problem with that arch. There are real reasons to oppose a bridge, but blocking that section of the Wasatch mountains is a favor that the LDS church is doing. Ugly.
It's not as though you will be able to see the wasatch mountains through the glass tube. The obstruction to the corridor is now imminent it just depends on what we choose to place there.. The arch on the other hand would be far more aesthetically pleasing then the skybridge and it would be more similar to the architecture of the temple anyway.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 7:48 AM
BANNED

Stimulus Money Prevents Cuts at SLC Arts Organizations

(KCPW News) More than $150,000 in federal stimulus money will go to eight Salt Lake City arts groups to save them from having to cut jobs, or to allow them to re-instate jobs that were already cut. Kingsbury Hall was on the verge of letting go its Education and Outreach Coordinator, according to Chief Operating Officer John Caywood...

http://kcpw.org/blog/local-news/2009...organizations/

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
The arch no longer exists. It was a temporary structure made out of wood and sprayed down with salt water until it crystalized (sounds very burningman). I propose a more permanent structure at some prominent location in the City.

This topic seems to be ongoing on both this and the CCC thread. Anyway, I'll post my opinion here also. Needless to say, I'm a big proponent of more neo-classical monuments with and or without water features and scuplture. There are those that would like to pursue public art that is not tied to the classics of the past. I think that we have many works already that are comtemporary, without the neo-classical touches. I would like to see some additional major, classical-styled works added to the CBD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
It is very rare indeed, that an older American capital, such as Boston or New York, or even older capitals of Europe, such as London or Paris have not borrowed the style and design of their famous monuments from an even older capital, such as Rome. Then again, even Rome's monuments took their cues from their predessessors in Greece, Persia and Egypt.

No relatively newer Capital, such as Salt Lake has more possibilities for placement of major monuments than our CBD. The very design, size and scope of our intersections, streets and inner blocks screams for monumental structures and works of art. I myself have long been a vocal advocate for setting aside some of our intersections and or inner blocks as grand scale canvases, like we see in Paris and Rome. I like the many whimisical pieces of public art scattered about Downtown Salt Lake. I also appreciate greatly the many beautiful fountains and water features gracing our downtown. It seems as if Salt Lake adds more and more of the fun/whimsical and or beautiful & classical works each year. I would be very encouraged to see some significant neo-classical style monuments or water features with sculpture at the center of our blocks and or intersections. Our own very colorful human history and the generous amount of incredible native wildlife, would make for a feast of subject matter.

Last edited by delts145; Sep 5, 2009 at 12:44 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight-Seer View Post
I was surprised to learn that the OC Tanner building is made of Sanpete County limestone. I have a 140-year-old week-end house made of Sanpete County limestone and it's even in Sanpete County. When the stone is cut it's almost as white as chalk. It doesn't stay white, though.
Sight-Seer, is that the same stone used on the LDS Temple in Manti? Is there a generous supply still left at the current quarry? If so, I would sure like to see more of it on our buildings in the CBD. It is visually very beautiful, and holds up much better than sandstone.

Salt Lake Tribune

ldschurchtemples.com

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 2:30 PM

There are several limestone quarries in Sanpete. The stone for my house came from north of Fairview. The stone for the temple came from a quarry just northeast of the Temple. I think you can still get limestone from one of the quarries. There are mountains of it.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 4:18 AM

O.C. Tanner: A gem of a building

Business turns old Hansen Planetarium into flagship store

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...-building.html

O.C. Tanner's flagship store, which was once the Salt Lake Library and then the Hansen Planetarium, will open Sept. 8. Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News

A man and a building. A passion for beauty and a commitment to giving back. A flagship store and a landmark preserved. That's the story you find at 15 S. State in downtown Salt Lake City...

The building was originally constructed in 1905. (Deseret News archives)

...Obert C. Tanner always wanted to create "the most beautiful jewelry store in America," says Bennett. "With this store, we think we have it."

When Carolyn Tanner Irish, chairman of the board since her father's death in 1993, first saw it, says Bennett, "she told me, 'If my father were here, he would say, with everything coming in downtown, this building is something that needs to be preserved. This is something we should do, and we should do it right.'... 

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 7:29 AM
BANNED

The Peery Hotel has a new sign on it's roof!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 8:32 PM

h4vok flickr

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 9:03 PM
NYC Rick

What is it about building an arch?

You know that it would take a lot of money to build the arches on this and the previous page...that is if it were done correctly.

I am not arguing with anyone but I would love to know what the intrinsic value would be.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West