HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

3 Civic Plaza in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Surrey Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 5:13 PM

I moved to Whalley 3 years ago, and I quite like it. My wife and I walk around with our baby almost every day, and for the most part, the area isn't filled with the type of people that you talk about.

The worse areas for shady looking people is directly on Surrey Parkway beside the skytrain, from there up to Gateway station (on and around Surrey Parkway, not University Blvd.).

Holland Park, University Blvd (directly West of skytrain), Central City plaza, King George Station area (aka Concord Pacific), area where the Ultra is being built (as well as the Rize development), Library etc. are all very nice! These areas are always buzzing with families/professionals/couples and are very urban and safe.

We moved here from Yaletown and noticed a similar trend there... Most areas are very nice and are frequented by the many residents of all the new towers in the area - however, there are some seedy places that everybody knows to avoid.

I'm very grateful to Diane Watts for building the new city hall in a location where there used to be a seedy strip mall! The Bosa development across the street will take care of another "seedier" area... Hopefully the new 47 storey tower improve Surrey Parkway (though it's really the area on the East side of Surrey Parkway that seems to attract the "hoodie" type people.

I work in Newton and I find it to be much sketchier than Whalley. The many new developments in Whalley have brought 1000s of young couples, families and professionals (D'Cor, D'Corize, Fuse, Agenda, Element, Ethical Gardens, Infinity, Park Place I & II, City Point, Quattro, Access, Evo, etc.). Pretty soon, in addition to the 1000s of new residents, there will be thousands of new jobs in the area (RCMP E division, City Hall, Hospital expansion) and that will further dilute and displace the few sketchy people that are left (and possibly push them to Newton!)

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 5:40 PM
David

This is a fantastic proposal for Surrey. I am thrilled to see this beauty come to fruition. Surrey is going to have an incredible city centre

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
I went for a walk through the general site area and I couldn't help but notice the sketchy people in the area. We're talking about young males with hoodies over their head and gangland style attire, skater skids, and people who look like they are ready to pounce upon giving them the wrong facial expression. I am not from Whalley core and admittedly avoid it. But I noticed that these type of people seemed to be widespread more so than any other place in Surrey. As such, the area is in need of a serious revitalization at the social level, not just at the development level. Hopefully this building will be the catalyst to start such a process.
Welcome to teenagers. With something like 75% of metro Vancouver's teenagers, this is common. Just becaused they look like that doesn't make them all gangsters. *shrug*

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theQ View Post
I moved to Whalley 3 years ago, and I quite like it. My wife and I walk around with our baby almost every day, and for the most part, the area isn't filled with the type of people that you talk about.

The worse areas for shady looking people is directly on Surrey Parkway beside the skytrain, from there up to Gateway station (on and around Surrey Parkway, not University Blvd.).

Holland Park, University Blvd (directly West of skytrain), Central City plaza, King George Station area (aka Concord Pacific), area where the Ultra is being built (as well as the Rize development), Library etc. are all very nice! These areas are always buzzing with families/professionals/couples and are very urban and safe.

We moved here from Yaletown and noticed a similar trend there... Most areas are very nice and are frequented by the many residents of all the new towers in the area - however, there are some seedy places that everybody knows to avoid.

I'm very grateful to Diane Watts for building the new city hall in a location where there used to be a seedy strip mall! The Bosa development across the street will take care of another "seedier" area... Hopefully the new 47 storey tower improve Surrey Parkway (though it's really the area on the East side of Surrey Parkway that seems to attract the "hoodie" type people.

I work in Newton and I find it to be much sketchier than Whalley. The many new developments in Whalley have brought 1000s of young couples, families and professionals (D'Cor, D'Corize, Fuse, Agenda, Element, Ethical Gardens, Infinity, Park Place I & II, City Point, Quattro, Access, Evo, etc.). Pretty soon, in addition to the 1000s of new residents, there will be thousands of new jobs in the area (RCMP E division, City Hall, Hospital expansion) and that will further dilute and displace the few sketchy people that are left (and possibly push them to Newton!)
I grew up in Newton and can say outside it has MUCH more seedier areas in it. There are entire rows of houses in west Newton that used to be gangs and grow ops. In the grand scheme of things though, people outside Surrey seem to fail to realize this happens everywhere. I'd like to see them walk down Hastings or even up main street near terminal late at night. Heck even during the day beside the train station or up near Broadway can bring out interesting people. Even Richmond has its fair share of areas you just don't go to late at night.

That's just life. The issue is that most cities' cores are cleaned up whereas Surrey for decades focussed growth outside the core and really neglected our core. That's changing and the gangs and problem people are moving out to Abbotsford and Chilliwack now.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 9:50 PM

it happens everywhere - people just like to pick on surrey, but i haven't noticed a lot of change in the past few years

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
I went for a walk through the general site area and I couldn't help but notice the sketchy people in the area. We're talking about young males with hoodies over their head and gangland style attire, skater skids, and people who look like they are ready to pounce upon giving them the wrong facial expression. I am not from Whalley core and admittedly avoid it. But I noticed that these type of people seemed to be widespread more so than any other place in Surrey. As such, the area is in need of a serious revitalization at the social level, not just at the development level. Hopefully this building will be the catalyst to start such a process.
LOL.
Because as we all know, nothing is as dangerous as people in hoodies.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 12:23 AM

^ "Gangland style attire" is what got me

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 12:31 AM

Have they already started the construction on this yet? There's the beginnings of large hole in the ground beside the new library/under the Skytrain tracks. City Hall is currently growing north of that, on 104ave, so what gives?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 1:47 AM

as said earlier the plaza is gonna have an underground parking for over 800+ stalls

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Don't judge dude, not everyone has the same style of short-sleeve pastels and flip flops in the metro. Just because they appear threatening doesn't mean they are, it's the in thing to do.

Call it lopsided luck I guess, but the only times I've ever been harassed or assaulted in the metro were in Downtown and in New Westminster. I've never had issues in Surrey, despite being more of a redneck than a city-slicker or gang-like (reason for being harassed in DT and NW, people didn't like my boots). Hell, the last SSP meet we had over the summer, I had to get off at Surrey Central (night bus drop off), and had to walk most of the way to my Dad's place down on 86th. Didn't exactly walk through some of the most pristine neighbourhoods on that walk, but I was left alone. For the most part, if you aren't into the "Gangland Culture," people who are wont fuck with you unless you stick your nose into their business and affairs. And by that I don't mean worry about looking at them the wrong way, but don't be that idiot who walks up to some of them accusing them of being gang members, or protesting a deal in progress. That'll get you shot (same issue pretty much everywhere). Effectively they are people just like you, me, and everyone else on here. And if you treat them as such, regardless of your prejudices against some of their habits, dealings, affiliations, etc, you wont have an issue.

There is the occasional thug who will attack you for your wallet and such, but those are no more common than anyone else. My advice there is don't be flashing a Rolex and a thousand dollar suit when taking a stroll through Whalley. Hell, try on a hoodie, you may find they are actually quite comfortable, especially on cooler, damp days.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 4:11 AM

Quote:
infrastructure does improve social behaviour, since it mixes ppl together, hopefully our civilized souls upon entering the city can influence a wild population, or it coudl turn out the opposite way. it all depends on who's influencing who,w hcih then depends on the civlized souls stayin the way they are....and then that area will change....

but i'm not saying that surrey'ss current condition implies lack of civil culture, because civilization could be subjective, maybe to them, whatever currently exists is already perfect....

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post
as said earlier the plaza is gonna have an underground parking for over 800+ stalls
Dammit. Got my hopes up for no good reason.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theQ View Post

I've been living close by the Bear Creek area my entire life. Which is between Whalley and Newton and I can relate to what you said. Newton has been far more sketchier then during these past 5-6 years. For Whalley the positive change began around 2003 after SFU was constructed.

If a few more of these proposals can go through around the Surrey Central Skytrain Area I'm positive it would do wonders.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 6:08 AM

Both areas have their problems, I live in Newton though, I would love to see redevelopment of the town centre go ahead. Who knows when that will be. Have your say in your community though in April:

http://www.civicsurrey.com/2012/03/2...of-town-halls/

As part of its ongoing community outreach efforts, the City will be hosting six Town Hall meetings, with one for each Town Centre. Residents and community associations are encouraged to come out and discuss issues in your neighbourhood.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 1:03 AM

thought i'd post a few more pictures for everyone
I noticed the tower isnt as tall as jhausner model

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 1:39 AM

Okay, I've already sold my soul and my brother's left kidney for a suite in this building. Anything else I'll need?

On a more serious note, any ideas when things like floorplans will be released? Or will that have to wait until opening day of sales?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 2:04 AM

Okay so this may be a bit long but heres a letter about the building I came across.
I like how they talk about keep eyes on the plaza 24/7 so it will always seem like a safe place to be.
Quote:
SURREY CENTRE MIXED-USE DEVELOPMENT
Advisory Design Panel - Written Brief
Our proposal for a 47 storey tower includes the following features and uses:
• An iconic building that anchors the downtown skyline and will set the tone for the quality and architectural experimentation of future growth in Downtown Surrey.
• A top quality, full-service, 160-room hotel component that will compliment the social, institutional and business aspects of Downtown Surrey.
• Ground floor retail that will animate the civic plaza and the hotel lobby focused on an upscale restaurant. The hotel lobby will be located adjacent to the restaurant and each will compliment the respective uses. A branded coffee shop also is proposed for the plaza to further serve business and social crowds;
• A modest office component of approximately 50,000 sq. ft. will provide an opportunity for a high-value ‘shared office’ concept for a variety of office users that will particularly value transit, hotel amenities and the adjacent library and City Hall.
• A housing component dominating the top floors that will serve the needs of the City’s residents and complement the Central City Skytrain station and provide high-quality housing options.
• A first-class, branded fitness facility will be established as a shared amenity for both the residential owners and hotel guests as well as providing membership opportunities for the needs of adjacent users, including the hundreds of employees in the civic centre.
The mix of uses is important to activate the desire of the City to create a dynamic downtown and set the precedent for creative use in Surrey.
SITE CONTEXT
The Civic Plaza is the heart of the city centre, a space that invites both individuals and the community to gather. The original vision of the City of Surrey to create a new downtown, anchored by its landmark buildings and a new civic plaza, is becoming a reality. The avant garde Public Library building defines the western edge of the plaza and reinforces its public focus. Along the northern edge the new City Hall beautifully responds with complimentary massing and geometry, serving as a formal portal to the plaza, and using glass and light to create an architectural form maker that is a unique expression of local government.
The opportunity on the eastern edge is to introduce an intense blend of uses that will bring city life to both the internal Market Street and Civic Plaza, and serve as an economic generator for the city centre. As a microcosm of urban living, the proposal envisions a vibrant mix of uses including street level retail and restaurant space, with residential, office and a hotel above.
The building is located on the site to permit the plaza space to connect to the street corner on the south east, an important desire line and open space link to the civic plaza. The building has a strong orthogonal response to the city grid on the north and east, and erodes on the south and west to define the open space and subtly respond to the geometry and building orientation of the public library across the plaza.

MASSING
The Library and City Hall buildings are relatively low, but iconic building masses. Our proposed mixed-use building is a vertically expressed mass, which acts as a landmark, and as an axial building anchoring the northern end of the view corridors and public open spaces forming a ramblas through the downtown core. It is intended as a counterpoint to the existing Central City Tower at the southern end.
The building massing is generated as a contextual response to the adjacent library and city hall, as well as an expression of the building’s uses. The podium and office create a strong base to the building, subdivided into two apparent masses with the eastern facade oriented on the city grid and the western facade parallel to the library. The connected residential and hotel towers hover above the two lower masses, away from the more public plaza interface on the west and south, and the sky-train guide-way on the east. The building steps inward at the south facade to provide for visual and physical pedestrian connection from the plaza to City Parkway and Surrey Central Skytrain Station. The space below accommodates the restaurant outdoor seating, with a south and west facing interface to the plaza, and appropriate presence on the public street corner. The top of the residential tower steps back at a roof-top level with an element to tie the two filigree shearwalls together providing shading and shelter to shared residential amenity space.

FORM AND CHARACTER
The building creates a complimentary expression to the adjacent library and city hall buildings. The library is a building characterized by simple wall planes, angled to create a dynamic quality to the mass, and articulated with a pattern of punched openings with the interest and quality of filigree. The City Hall building carries on the language of wall planes and roof planes, with a very strong folded roof plane as the dominant mass, but dissolves the wall planes to openly express its public function. Both of these public buildings are large, simple, singular building masses which are appropriate to their significance.
In order to reinforce this essential quality, by contrast the proposed mixed-use building is broken down into a collection of masses assembled in composition. This is also more appropriate for a multi-use building, and will allow it to comfortably occupy its position on the plaza without competing with the library and city hall. The various massing components also express the building’s functions, allow for a variety of differing floor-plate requirements, and allow for appropriate proximity or separation from the public realm at grade. The disparate components are connected by a series of externalized shearwalls that also allow the upper storey to incorporate weather protected residential outdoor space at an appropriate distance from the plaza and guide-way below. As a counterpoint to the strong geometric masses of the podium, hotel, office, and residential uses, the structural concrete shearwall is punctured by a arrangement of openings, creating the building's own filigree pattern.

MATERIALS AND FINISHES
The vision for the building is to create a more commercial rather than residential character due to its civic precinct location, achieved through the extensive use of glazed exterior wall planes of curtain wall, contrasted with exposed structural concrete shearwalls and recessed open space to amplify the surface quality of the glass skin. The concept of ‘filigree shearwalls’ in the massing, rendered in glass with its highly transparent quality will bring a dynamic quality to the building and create a lasting architectural expression for the city centre, while respecting the prominence of the other public building and open space elements of the civic core.

PEDESTRIAN AND VEHICULAR ACCESS
The building is organized to create a combined hotel, office and residential lobby on the west side of the building on Market Street. By combining the three lobbies into once continuous space, social interaction is heightened and enhanced. Passenger vehicle access to underground parking is proposed to be through the underground parkade shared by the Library, City Hall, and future building at the southwest corner of 104th Avenue and City Parkway. Small delivery vans will also use this underground route to the shipping and receiving area. Goods receiving access will be located at grade on the north side of the building and will be connected by freight elevator to an underground shipping & receiving, recycling sorting area, and goods storage area.

PARKING
Private vehicle parking for residents will be provided in the underground structure beneath the building and will be access directly by elevators from the residential tower floors. A limited quantity of residential visitor, hotel, commercial and office parking will be provided under the building in the portion of the parkade contiguous with the City Hall and Library parkade. An agreement is being entered into to use a number of parking stalls in the larger City Hall and Library to satisfy residential visitor, hotel, commercial and office parking demand. Due to the different occupancy types and time of day use patterns of the hotel, office, commercial and residential, peak parking demand for each use is offset throughout the day requiring less aggregate parking spaces. That factor combined with the immediate proximity of Surrey Central Skytrain Station and transit bus loop will have a significant impact on parking demand.

CPTED STRATEGIES
One of the main motivating factors for choosing a mixed-use building program is to animate the plaza. Many unsuccessful civic centre plazas suffer from under use after, and even during business hours, leading to a perception of under-populated and un-welcoming hardscapes. To prevent this outcome the commercial uses and lobbies are concentrated on the ground plane, primarily facing west to the plaza but also having a presence on all four building facades. By activating all sides of the building, no quadrant is left without light and surveillance.
The 24 hour a day, 365 day a year nature of the hotel business also enhances a sense of safety, with personnel looking out onto the plaza and to the shared lobby space at all times. By gathering the hotel, office and residential lobbies together into one larger social space the design seeks to foster greater interaction, familiarity with fellow building occupants, and a sense of community and personal ownership over space. Beyond the shared social spaces, electronic access control measures and separate banks of elevators for hotel, office and residential uses will create the physical separation necessary for privacy and protection.

SUSTAINABILITY STRATEGIES
The design team has set a very high goal with its Sustainability Strategies; human thermal comfort levels equivalent to a mechanically air conditioned building but using natural ventilation. Towards this end we will be providing natural ventilation for all spaces. Energy will be recovered with individual Heat Recovery Ventilators for each residential unit and pair of hotel rooms with the exhaust air being expelled at the top of the building by stack effect.
Radiant in-floor hydronic heating and cooling will be used instead of industry standard electric resistance heating. Heat sources for the hydronic system will be at first priority exchanging heat within the building itself, then the geo-exchange field under our project, the geo-exchange field under the adjacent City Hall parkade, heat recovered from the sewage outflow from our building, conventional natural gas boilers, heat gained off our Co-generation emergency electricity generator, and finally tapping any extra heat from the rooftop solar panels for domestic hot water temperature boosting.
Raised access floor in office floorspace will allow for underfloor supply plenum and displacement ventilation.
Landscaping strategies will also play an important part in the building's overall sustainability. Stormwater will be detained on-site through green roofs, rooftop gardens, and bio-swales along City Parkway in order to reduce impact on city stormwater infrastructure. The aforementioned rooftop gardens will includeurban agriculture in the form of rooftop community garden, hotel rooftop herb and produce garden.
Finally, the project will be providing one or more Car-Share vehicles.
LANDSCAPE
The landscape design is based on the concept of connections, just as the larger building is focused on social connections and synergies of uses.
The landscape design will connect to the larger green-spaces within the city by engaging both the green-way under the Skytrain guideway and the bicycle route on 103rd Avenue.
The design is also intended as a counterpoint to the more hardscaped plaza where hundreds of people are expected to gather at community and city events. The scale of the design is much finer grained, intended to provide spaces for social interaction on a more intimate level.
The landscape design seeks to connect to the different ecosystems within British Columbia due to the inherent nature of our tall building. The landscape design will feature coastal lower-mainland species at the base of the building and as the building rises, incorporate native species appropriate to more alpine conditions at higher elevations.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post

Thanks for posting. I'm not loving this blank wall at street level.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 2:25 AM

If you look at the pictures on civic surrey you can see they plan to have a green wall there. Its just not in on those model pictures.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 9:31 AM

Quote:

Haha, as hoodie donning Surrey duder who usually hovers about that area, I appreciate the comment.

We all look mean but believe me, we only look mean. I even hover about there at 2 am waiting for some of the last buses out of the area and witness people new to the late night bus scene being very aware and anxious of their surroundings.. Hahaha, though I've been witness to a gangfight and stabbing on the 502 once. So... Maybe you would be right. lol

Anyway
This tower would be great. It's presence would draw up traffic and commerce to the area. I can't wait to see the retail along the station improve dramatically.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley