HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 7:49 PM

I mean, I guess the original renders were "high level" and not very detailed, but they seemed to be much more modern, a lot more glass, unique pattern of windows/balconies etc..

Let the cost cutting begin.. It's the same shape but seems to be the usual boring material, a lot less glass, smaller windows.

The development, added density, repurposing of the old building are all very welcomed, but I am scared this will look like Andaz/Claridge Plaza put together. And then sheer length of this building would mean it would look super imposing too.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 11:23 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Here are the updated renderings:

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 2:17 PM
inner city

What’s been going on and proposed for the western half of this city block bound by Dalhousie, York, Cumberland, and George is a total dumpster fire, given its history, location, and urban context.
This area calls for high quality design and construction, and a good mix of urban uses, building heights, and built forms on par with the prime commercial/entertainment areas of world class city downtown cores. Think of some of the great urban core neighbourhoods in North America and abroad, and then compare it to the reality of this block. Blah.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post
What’s been going on and proposed for the western half of this city block bound by Dalhousie, York, Cumberland, and George is a total dumpster fire, given its history, location, and urban context.
This area calls for high quality design and construction, and a good mix of urban uses, building heights, and built forms on par with the prime commercial/entertainment areas of world class city downtown cores. Think of some of the great urban core neighbourhoods in North America and abroad, and then compare it to the reality of this block. Blah.
Completely true! I just got back from Vancouver and was amazed by how much better Granville Island and Yaletown were compared to our Market. These buildings going up are not suitable to what the Byward Market should be like. Even Toronto's St. Lawrence Market has better buildings.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:02 PM

Imagine if Rimap would have just stuck to the current zoning. It would have been far worse.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 1:29 AM

Same article that was shared in the 400 Albert Thread but with the section regarding this project

Quote:
Meanwhile, Varadi’s firm is moving ahead with a series of other developments in the capital.

They include a 214-room hotel and a 280-suite apartment tower on a 1.3-acre site in the ByWard Market.

Rimap plans to refurbish the existing five-storey Major Building at 126 York St. ​– a 108-year-old structure that’s protected under provincial heritage legislation and is currently home to several office tenants ​– as a hotel. A proposed 22-storey highrise on adjacent property at 151 George St. would be integrated into the former warehouse via a series of stepped-back floors and a pedestrian walkway.

Varadi said he’s expecting council to approve the project in the next few months and hopes to have shovels in the ground by this summer.
https://www.obj.ca/article/real-esta...rtment-complex

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 1:54 PM

Updated design posted:

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...12-21-0054.PDF

The diagonal colour variation in the balconies definitely helps to break up the slabiness.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 2:00 PM

I like this project. I really like the renderings showing the brickwork. It's also nice to have something in that area not a stumpy 24-28 story tower on a shitty podium.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 1:26 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

'Playful' Marriott hotel brand to open first Ottawa location at historic ByWard Market site

By: OBJ staff
Published: Mar 30, 2022 4:07pm EDT

A Marriott brand that says it offers a “playful hotel experience for the young at heart” plans to make its Ottawa debut in a historic ByWard Market building.

Rimap Hospitality, the Montreal-based firm that owns the property at 126 York St., said this week it has signed a deal with Marriott International to open a 222-room Moxy hotel in the Major Building.

The 58,800-square-foot former warehouse ​– which was built in 1913 and is now protected under the Ontario Heritage Act – is perhaps best-known for being Shopify’s headquarters back when the e-commerce powerhouse was still a fledgling startup.

Rimap bought the Beaux-Arts-style building two years ago. The five-storey structure will be preserved and integrated into a new 22-storey mixed-use tower that’s slated to be constructed on adjacent land at 151 George St. The highrise is also expected to include about 280 rental apartment units.

The Moxy Ottawa hotel will occupy the first five floors of the combined structure. Rimap said the proposal calls for “eclectic public spaces” as well as a street-side restaurant.

“ByWard Market’s bustling streetscape and liveliness will align seamlessly with the vibrancy of the Moxy brand,” Rimap president Marc Varadi said in a statement.

Moxy is one of 30 brands operated by Maryland-based Marriott International, the world’s largest hotel chain by number of rooms.

Marriott now runs more than 100 hotels under the Moxy banner in North America, Europe and the Asia-Pacific region. The brand says it offers a “non-traditional” experience that includes allowing guests to check in at the hotel bar.

Slated to open in 2024, the new Moxy Ottawa hotel will be just a few blocks from another Marriott-branded Rimap project that’s currently under construction, the 25-storey, 208-room AC Hotels by Marriott lodging that’s being built on the site of a former Beer Store at 201 Rideau St.

In addition, Rimap Hospitality’s sister company, Rimap Development, said last month it’s proposing a 35-storey tower at 395 Slater St. that would include about 270 rental units and 230 hotel rooms.

Varadi told OBJ the firm hopes to start construction on that project by the end of this year. He said the company has a branding affiliation in place for the hotel but isn’t ready to reveal it yet, adding it will be a higher-end property catering to government and business clients.

https://www.obj.ca/article/local/tou...istoric-byward

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 2:10 AM

Nice! I'm really looking forward to this development.
With AC Marriot on Rideau being built and now this Marriot Moxy on York I'd love to see them demolish that Ugly car-oriented Courtyard Marriott right in the heart of the market and either sell it or redevelop it. Its an eyesore

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
Nice! I'm really looking forward to this development.
With AC Marriot on Rideau being built and now this Marriot Moxy on York I'd love to see them demolish that Ugly car-oriented Courtyard Marriott right in the heart of the market and either sell it or redevelop it. Its an eyesore
Amen to that.

I love seeing all the investment happening in the Byward Market. Hopefully it will be a catalyst for change in the area. I used to love the Market but it's really gone downhill in the last 15 years.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 1:27 PM

Agreed - I'm excited at the new developments announced and the possibility/opportunity this presents for the Byward Market. It really is, to some degree, the most vibrant/fun district in Ottawa. More hotels, apartments, condo will help bring even more people and activity in the area. Hopefully dealing with some of the shelter/homeless issues can also help a lot. I'm hopeful but hesitant to see what the City can do for the market with its new plan/project for the area.

I'd love to see major improvements and new developments around the periphery of the 2 west blocks of George/York/Clarence. Lots of opportunities between Dalhousie and King Edward to expand the market a bit.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 2:29 PM

Maybe they could "accidentally" demolish the Andaz while building this?!?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 3:37 PM

I can't see Marriot keeping the Courtyard. I am hoping this can be redeveloped with the overall Byward Market plan over the next years. This should be limited height (4 stories) so there is a great opportunity for a non-hotel here (hopefully). Can't wait to see what happens along with that parking garage in the Market that will be replaced.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 4:37 PM

A redevelopment of the Courtyard Marriot and a reclad of the back/side of The Bay are pretty high on my wish list for the Market in addition to everything already planned and announced.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
A redevelopment of the Courtyard Marriot and a reclad of the back/side of The Bay are pretty high on my wish list for the Market in addition to everything already planned and announced.
Same. A white box with a surface parking lot does not belong. A Courtyard redevelopment could be an opportunity for relocating some of the public parking lost by the redevelopment of Clarence garage. Spreading those spaces across 2-3 locations (the Cathedral, maybe Bruyere could redevelop some of its parkng lots) so that car traffic can be spread out might be a good idea.

HBC has come up with redevelopment plans for both their Montreal and Vancouver locations, so it won't be long before we see the same here, I'm sure.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
HBC has come up with redevelopment plans for both their Montreal and Vancouver locations, so it won't be long before we see the same here, I'm sure.
Was going to say that - I fully expect that in the near future the Bay will announce a plan to shrink the store and redevelop part of the property with residential, likely a tower. May be tricky with the view planes though, not sure.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2022, 2:04 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

This is what used to be at the location of that Marriott box on Dalhousie between George and York...

Old Posted Apr 2, 2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
This is what used to be at the location of that Marriott box on Dalhousie between George and York...

And in the parking lot (Georges at Dalhousie), the one with the tower on the left.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-S25iNPp74a...0869277-v8.jpg

Old Posted Apr 2, 2022, 2:00 PM

Does anyone else remember when the CTV Ottawa building next to the Courtyard Marriot was an International Food Fair with a few ethnic restaurants? I remember that in the early to mid 1990's, I think it closed and and became the CTV studio in the very late 90's.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa