HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 5:26 AM

Boston - scenes from June 2016

I went to Kane's in the early afternoon to get myself a boston cream donut but they were sold out. Went back the next day at around 10AM thinking surely there must still be a few left over from the early morning rush... nope, sold out. Settled on a creme brulee, salted caramel and chocolate frosted instead (not pictured)

Beacon Hill - reminded me of a hillier, sleepier but prettier Greenwich Village

South End. Boston has some of the nicest residential vernacular outside of London, IMHO

North End

Charles St. - my airbnb was located around the corner

Back Bay

Cambridge

Shitty pic - landing at City Centre Toronto

---

Toronto - scenes from 2016
Quebec City - scenes from September 2016 (will post soon)

Last edited by shappy; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:58 PM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 11:58 PM

Love that city! Hopefully I'll make it up there for a visit next summer (and Provincetown too)!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 2:51 AM

Boston is so scrumptious!! Beautiful city!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 5:16 AM

I can never get enough of glorious Boston. Thanks!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 6:14 AM

God I love that city, thanks for brightening my day with excellent pics.

This is a really cook bookstore that pops up every morning May through October. Such a fun use of an empty lot.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 6:31 AM
Ex Houstonian

Jesus, I need to visit there so bad. The last city on east coast I haven't been to.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 4:26 PM

Boston is a treat and would highly recommend checking out. We stayed just off of Charles St in Beacon Hill which is a glorious place. The city has an interesting history, wonderful urban environments, etc. Unfortunately I didn't get a lot of time to go and explore myself as we were there to meet up with a friend from Paris who occasionally travels to Boston for work. Hence there are a few duplicate type photos as I didn't have a ton of content to post.

It's a bit more buttoned-up than other east coast cities, IMO. The style of dress is sharp but quite conservative and decidedly preppy. Some of the dudes look like they'd be related to JFK and/or just stepped off a yacht. The women as well. You really don't see much hipster-like/alternative styles and (from my limited wanderings) you don't see much in the way of hipster-like/alternative neighbourhoods or commercial strips. It's cohesively handsome though. Which is quite a contrast to Toronto which is an urban place as well but quite messy and a bit more eclectic (including dress styles).

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 6:53 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by shappy View Post
It's a bit more buttoned-up than other east coast cities, IMO. The style of dress is sharp but quite conservative and decidedly preppy. Some of the dudes look like they'd be related to JFK and/or just stepped off a yacht. The women as well. You really don't see much hipster-like/alternative styles and (from my limited wanderings) you don't see much in the way of hipster-like/alternative neighbourhoods or commercial strips. It's cohesively handsome though. Which is quite a contrast to Toronto which is an urban place as well but quite messy and a bit more eclectic (including dress styles).

The "hipster side" of Boston is more oriented to South End neighbourhoods like Jamaica Plain. Cambridge is also bit more youth-oriented, but even having stayed there on my two trips to Boston (5 and 8 years ago now...) my impression still overwhelmingly mirrors yours.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
The "hipster side" of Boston is more oriented to South End neighbourhoods like Jamaica Plain. Cambridge is also bit more youth-oriented, but even having stayed there on my two trips to Boston (5 and 8 years ago now...) my impression still overwhelmingly mirrors yours.
prolly more of that in Brighton-Allston than JP or South End.........NU is near South End so yeah i guess some. And as far as being preppy? Um, BC-BU-Harvard-NU-MIT-Emerson et al probably contribute to that It's not called The Athens of America for nothing.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shappy View Post
Boston is a treat and would highly recommend checking out. We stayed just off of Charles St in Beacon Hill which is a glorious place. The city has an interesting history, wonderful urban environments, etc. Unfortunately I didn't get a lot of time to go and explore myself as we were there to meet up with a friend from Paris who occasionally travels to Boston for work. Hence there are a few duplicate type photos as I didn't have a ton of content to post.
Couldn't agree more! The streetscapes are so cohesive (especially compared to Toronto). I was there for a few days in October soaking up the architecture. Is there a grander residential street in North America than Commonwealth Avenue? On the other hand, the Green Line and the decrepit underground streetcars are a vision of an ancient hell.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 4:40 PM
Illustrator, editor

Boston looks wonderful! I visited it briefly in 1998 and want to go back. I nearly made it there this summer, but went to Chicago and Toronto instead (never been there).

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 10:48 PM

Yeah, I lived in Boston for close to 6 years. It's a terrific urban environment and has some top academic and financial institutions, but that's as far as I'll go in complimenting it. The city is also very provincial, uptight, standoffish, segregated, still has too many Irish-Catholic dominated institutions, and is hard to break into any social circles if you're a newbie (unless you're white and well-educated).

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabcom View Post
Yeah, I lived in Boston for close to 6 years. It's a terrific urban environment and has some top academic and financial institutions, but that's as far as I'll go in complimenting it. The city is also very provincial, uptight, standoffish, segregated, still has too many Irish-Catholic dominated institutions, and is hard to break into any social circles if you're a newbie (unless you're white and well-educated).
when did you live there in the 60's or 70's? If you had, you would understand how much the city has changed since then. Perhaps it was you and not the city or it's inhabitants...........provincial i'll give you the rest no effing way

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 3:30 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
when did you live there in the 60's or 70's? If you had, you would understand how much the city has changed since then. Perhaps it was you and not the city or it's inhabitants...........provincial i'll give you the rest no effing way
In the 2000's actually. When I was living there, I was thinking maybe it was me and not really the city that had issues. But then I talked to other people who moved there from somewhere else, and they had the same complaints. Also, I'm currently living in the DC area and have noticed a significant improvement. Are you from Boston? You seem to be very defensive for some reason.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 3:39 PM

Awesome photos. Real soft spot for Boston.

Its a funny provincial/worldly/sophisticated and unique mix. Real sense of place. The other "buttoned down" US city would be DC.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabcom View Post
In the 2000's actually. When I was living there, I was thinking maybe it was me and not really the city that had issues. But then I talked to other people who moved there from somewhere else, and they had the same complaints. Also, I'm currently living in the DC area and have noticed a significant improvement. Are you from Boston? You seem to be very defensive for some reason.
how did you guess? Yes and grew up in the worst times of the city and witnessed the changes not only in appearance but in it's people and attitudes . I'm sorry that you feel that way, nothing is 100% and every place has it's issues but i can tell you Boston and it's people have worked very hard at becoming a welcoming and inclusive city. I bristle when i hear people still say it's a racially divided city. I've been around the block and to many cities and have talked to many in each and I'm blown away thinking this is the crap i used to hear people say in the 60's and 70's and NEVER hear that anymore at home, thank God. So, again, sorry you and your crowd didn't feel welcome.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
how did you guess? Yes and grew up in the worst times of the city and witnessed the changes not only in appearance but in it's people and attitudes . I'm sorry that you feel that way, nothing is 100% and every place has it's issues but i can tell you Boston and it's people have worked very hard at becoming a welcoming and inclusive city. I bristle when i hear people still say it's a racially divided city. I've been around the block and to many cities and have talked to many in each and I'm blown away thinking this is the crap i used to hear people say in the 60's and 70's and NEVER hear that anymore at home, thank God. So, again, sorry you and your crowd didn't feel welcome.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. Like I said before, it's not all bad, but more of a mixed bag. Again, the city has a beautiful urban environment, some top institutions, and lots of very smart people. Having said that though, there are too many people in Boston who are standoffish and rude, and it was a major turnoff for me. I've had too many experiences in the city where many whites viewed with me suspicion and anger, and if I was the only minority in the room, everyone else would tense up and quiet down. Too awkward! It's like a different world in DC. People are much more welcoming and friendly here, and much more open when I meet a new crowd.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 1:09 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Gorgeous, as all your threads - Toronto to Boston and anything in between.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 3:00 AM
Posh

What?!?!?!? No Boston creme doughnuts in Boston?!?!? Shame!

Anyway nice pics!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 4:59 PM
Community Guy

Back Bay is magnificence.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos