HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Who did you vote for?
Liberal Party 75 38.66%
Conservative Party 47 24.23%
New Democratic Party 37 19.07%
People's Party 11 5.67%
Bloc Québécois 6 3.09%
Green Party 13 6.70%
Other 5 2.58%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Couldn't agree more. All I hear from out there is whining, crying, insults, separation threats. Like a bunch of 12 year olds who refuse to see reason. If people out west honestly think ANY politician (Lib or Con) is going to get rid of the equalization, build a bunch of pipelines in a short period of time with zero consultations or environmental protocol, rip up the carbon tax, and force provinces with a gun to their head to have pipelines, these people are truly out to lunch.

Even if a Conservative won the election, there's no way they would do anything more than what Trudeau has done. I would laugh seeing some Jason Kenney character become PM and start thumping his pro oil chest , only to see all his Quebec seats eliminated as he tries to force energy east, his BC seats eliminated as he forces pipelines that way. Then he'd be out of government as fast as he got in. Its simply out of the hands of the federal government. It's a provincial issue, its a judicial issue, and this stuff takes time. I don't get why people can't understand that.
To your last point about being a provincial/judicial issue taking time and why people don't understand that, I disagree with your premise.

The reality is that Albertans/SKers DO understand that but understanding it and accepting it are 2 very different things. Ab/Sk are mad at Ottawa but NONE of the delays {and eventual cancellation} have anything to do with Trudeau and they are well aware of it but facts be damned when some good old fashioned Ott/Mon/Tor bashing is up for grabs.

As I stated earlier, due to the CHOICE they made in the election not seeming to work in their favour, they are trying to create a false narrative that the ROC has alienated them when the reality is that they choose to alienate themselves from the ROC.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:13 AM

Its a small minority getting way to much attention from the media.. shocking I know. Anecdotal maybe, but I dont know a single person, in real life, talking about this wexit crap, or being angry about the election. It is not representative of the majority of people in Alberta.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:38 AM

I can see Catherine McKenna becoming Minister of Women and Gender Equality. It would be really be making a point after she was called "Climate Barbie" and that awful word that was spray-painted on her constituency office.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vid
In Newfoundland, Conservatives got 4.57% to 18.28% in ridings in 2015, and came in third in 3 of 7 ridings, and 4th in one. In 2018, they got 18.06% to 39.46% and came in third in 2 ridings (out of 7). It's a pretty big jump, but still not enough. The riding they did the best in, Bonavista—Burin—Trinity, the Liberals were still 6% ahead. They got 10% of that riding in 2015.
So Newfoundland doubled, tripled & even Quadrupled their Conservative votes in some ridings this last election, that's phenomenal,
Andrew Scheer was like the coming of the next Messiah in that province apparently

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
As the others have said, that chart is a little misleading for the east coast because 2015 was a 100+ year low for the Conservatives in Atlantic Canada, so it was more of a rebound to historic levels. This is especially the case in Newfoundland, where Harper was extremely unpopular and the Conservatives fell to stupendously low levels there in the 2008, 2011, and 2015 elections. So it makes sense that once Harper was gone things would pick up for them out in NL.
obviously Scheer did something in Newfoundland to dispel the Harper angst.
or maybe Newfoundlanders just love politicians from Regina with dimples

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 12:34 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

A Quebec columnist citing Alberta sources is laying out what is claimed to be Alberta's "plan" for the next couple of years.

Some of this has been talked about already but this is the clearest I've seen it all laid out.

For starters, Jason Kenney has two legal files on his plate: the legal challenge of the federally-imposed carbon tax and his right (under the Constitution, allegedly) to "turn off the taps" to BC.

Part deux (or trois?) of this is where it gets interesting. Kenney wants to hold a referendum in 2021 on the abolition of equalization. The belief is that the Clarity Act and the Constitution allow him to do this and oblige the federal government to take the wishes of Alberta (as expressed in a referendum) into serious consideration.

Kenney is confident of a Yes vote of around 80% on this one.

Even juicier is the intel that says that Kenney has lined up several other Conservative Premiers to pass resolutions in their legislatures supporting Albertans' wish to see equalization abolished. Though not all Tory Premiers, we can assume (think of the Maritimes), but some biggies could already be lined up. No names were named but it's not hard to see Doug Ford going along for the ride.

At that point the feds would not have much choice and would have to negotiate a new arrangement on something they really don't want to.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post

So Newfoundland doubled, tripled & even Quadrupled their Conservative votes in some ridings this last election, that's phenomenal,
Andrew Scheer was like the coming of the next Messiah in that province apparently

or maybe Newfoundlanders just love politicians from Regina with dimples
Newfoundland is just reverting to it's average conservative vote of probably around ~30%. 2008 and 2015 are when our former premier Danny Williams was most vocal about not voting for Stephen Harper.

NL vote for Conservative party:
2019: 28.0
2015: 10.3
2011: 28.4
2008: 16.5
2006: 42.67
2004: 32.3

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A Quebec columnist citing Alberta sources is laying out what is claimed to be Alberta's "plan" for the next couple of years.

Some of this has been talked about already but this is the clearest I've seen it all laid out.

For starters, Jason Kenney has two legal files on his plate: the legal challenge of the federally-imposed carbon tax and his right (under the Constitution, allegedly) to "turn off the taps" to BC.

Part deux (or trois?) of this is where it gets interesting. Kenney wants to hold a referendum in 2021 on the abolition of equalization. The belief is that the Clarity Act and the Constitution allow him to do this and oblige the federal government to take the wishes of Alberta (as expressed in a referendum) into serious consideration.

Kenney is confident of a Yes vote of around 80% on this one.

Even juicier is the intel that says that Kenney has lined up several other Conservative Premiers to pass resolutions in their legislatures supporting Albertans' wish to see equalization abolished. Though not all Tory Premiers, we can assume (think of the Maritimes), but some biggies could already be lined up. No names were named but it's not hard to see Doug Ford going along for the ride.

At that point the feds would not have much choice and would have to negotiate a new arrangement on something they really don't want to.
That seems a huge stretch, although I'll be surprised not to see a new formula prior to 2024 (I wonder whether anyone in Alberta will notice that that suggested referendum timing is not far off from when consultations on a new formula could be expected to begin in any event?) Although it occurs to me that there might be a school of thought in Quebec that might not be averse the idea of a constitutional amendment on equalization, as it could open the door to constitutional negotiations on Quebec's "traditional demands".

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Oct 29, 2019 at 1:26 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
Its a small minority getting way to much attention from the media.. shocking I know. Anecdotal maybe, but I dont know a single person, in real life, talking about this wexit crap, or being angry about the election. It is not representative of the majority of people in Alberta.
That's the way outrage works. Just look at all the PPC people online and it was hardly a blip in the vote.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 3:14 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If you're going to be hacking the budget like Kenney is doing, distraction politics works.

That being said, it depends on what Kenney's plan is for the future. Is he planning to unseat Scheer and running for the federal Conservative leadership, or is he biding his time?

A big war on the feds works well as a provincial premier, but it's setting yourself up for failure if you're just leaping into a fire of your own creation. If Kenney sees himself as PM of Canada, he's going to need the support of regions that benefit from equalization, since his support in Quebec will be very minor.

We shall see.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 3:18 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Newfoundland is just reverting to it's average conservative vote of probably around ~30%. 2008 and 2015 are when our former premier Danny Williams was most vocal about not voting for Stephen Harper.
The Conservatives did very badly across all of Atlantic Canada in 2015 and failed to win a single seat. From that starting point, a big increase in the popular vote % still doesn't necessarily work out to that much support.

They did better this past election but still only won 4/32 seats in Atlantic Canada.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:18 PM

Another article regarding the Alberta alienation situation. This is by Andrew Coyne.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi..._autoplay=true

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:20 PM

A good article from Matt Gurney at the National Post regarding the 905 voting pattern and Andrew Scheers future.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/mat..._autoplay=true

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 6:02 PM

Maybe Patrick Brown is planning to step into the ring after all.

He just wrote this op-ed:

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/cont...-liberals.html

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
Its a small minority getting way to much attention from the media.. shocking I know. Anecdotal maybe, but I don't know a single person, in real life, talking about this wexit crap, or being angry about the election. It is not representative of the majority of people in Alberta.
Agreed, maybe its the circle of acquaintances, but even with the work I do I don't see it. I read about the wexit crap on line more.

As to the constitutionality of the carbon tax, I believe Alberta is going to support the current court challenges but not do their own. And the turn off the taps I believe was settled before the election. Alberta cannot turn off the taps, That's while the Notley government never actually made it a bill.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...y-federal-cour

Last edited by Airboy; Oct 29, 2019 at 6:35 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 7:46 PM

The CHOICE that Albertans/SKers made was exactly that......a choice. Now they are living with the consequences of that choice and now, in true Alberta fashion, are blaming Ottawa and the ROC for that choice. We live in a democracy and people are free to vote for whom they like and they feel will best represent their concerns and values and like everyone else in Canada, we have to live with the government of the day whether we like it or not.

The issue is not that Albertans don't understand this premise but rather don't want to accept it. Trudeau should NOT get an Albertan senator nor some senior advisor to fill a cabinet post in the government because senators and advisers are not elected and hence have no moral authority to govern or represent any particular constituency. Albertans nmade their views quite clear and now have to live with the consequences.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 1:03 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
He sure did. He replaced him. Lots of low information voters who think that now that Harper is gone it's a different party. Pro tip: it's not.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 1:52 AM
BANNED

There’s some good reasons that people are unhappy with the Liberals, the economy is not as good as it should be. A first world nation with a low dollar, wages, and a ton of natural resources should be rapidly rising.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 1:55 AM
I am a typical

None of that is really Trudeau's fault, but we all know that politics doesn't work like that to begin with.

I love how people argue that we can't do anything at all about climate change and thus shouldn't try but when it comes to global economics, suddenly we're a powerhouse and everything is the present leader's fault.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
There’s some good reasons that people are unhappy with the Liberals, the economy is not as good as it should be. A first world nation with a low dollar, wages, and a ton of natural resources should be rapidly rising.

Interesting that this index completely failed to predict the 2015 mini-recession.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 1:10 PM

The 2015 problems all stem from oil crashing, which was largely unpredicted.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada