HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 7:54 PM

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
Glad to see that some work is going on at the site.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 4:46 AM

New website. No floor plans available. Only for "VIP" members. Get ready for more precast wooo! At least the massing is nice.

http://101lockecondos.com/

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 5:09 AM

Is it me or was the voice in that video a little strange?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 11:07 PM
It's Hammer Time

Wilson: Demolition for Locke St. condo unearths symbol Hitler stole

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/65...-hitler-stole/

On this day in 1933, Nazi Germany formed an official secret police force: the Gestapo.

The stage was set for Adolf Hitler to wage war and to murder six million Jews.

There was another casualty, a small one, a symbol that had meant peace and good luck for several thousand years. Hitler stole it and made it evil. That would be the swastika.

And this spring, on a pleasant street in Hamilton, that symbol suddenly surfaced. It was a shock to people walking past. That form — an equilateral cross with legs bent at 90 degrees — has not lost its venom.

Skinheads and white supremacists use it today, but we don't have many of them around here. Hamilton is pretty much a swastika-free zone.

Eli Hassid is glad of that. He is 64, and his links to Jerusalem go back five generations. That was his home.

Each year there, so that the young understand, there is a Holocaust Remembrance Day. (It's on May 5 this year.) The children learned everything, even that babies were thrown against walls.

"They taught us at school that we forgive but we don't forget," Hassid says. "And we say, 'Never again.'"

Hassid still has a fine place in the heart of Jerusalem, to which he returns twice a year. But 16 years ago he decided to make Canada his home. It was just time for a change.

He spent the first two years in Quebec. Hassid loves ballroom dancing, and he often did that in Montreal.

But sometimes there would be a problem with a new partner, after she learned the accent of that soft-spoken man was Hebrew.

"They left me in the middle," Hassid says. "They said, 'Oh, I don't dance with Jews.'"

Hassid hasn't encountered that in Hamilton. But what he saw a few weeks ago stopped him in his tracks.

He owns a building at the corner of Locke and Canada streets, with two small stores on the first floor. He lives just a couple of blocks away and often walks between home and his rental property.

One door north of that property, Spallacci Homes is about to start building a condo project. Step one was to knock down the old grocery store there. For about 25 years it was the Calabria Supermarket, but had been vacant for some time.

The demolition did not take long. The store seemed to be there one day, gone the next.

Hassid walked past when the job was done. And what he saw, he says, "pinched me in my heart."

On a floor laid bare in the demolition were swastika-shaped symbols, dozens of them in the ceramic-tile pattern, all in a line, black on white.

Hassid is not a man who looks for evil. He was sure those symbols could have nothing to do with the old horrors. And yet, each day, he passed by and felt the chill. He talked to other neighbours and they too were uneasy about what the bulldozers had unearthed.

He reached out to the Kirkendall Neighbourhood Association. And to Rob Bernacci, who runs Locke Street Tire, right next to the site. Some of his customers said something should be done.

Then Spallacci Homes sent someone by with a can of black spray paint and made each swastika disappear. Hassid is grateful.

The mystery on Locke is best solved by looking for what used to stand on that land, before the days of the supermarket.

That would be Slater & Kelly Auto Service, run by John C. Slater and Frank W. Kelly. They had a garage in the back, and in the front an auto accessories shop — just the place to set down some decorative tile, complete with symbols of good luck.

That building went up in 1921, a dozen years before Hitler seized control and began to turn the world dark.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 11:12 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

It was nice of them to cover it up. Also glad to hear he hasn't had to deal with any hate in Hamilton, though sad he encountered it in Montreal.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 4:43 AM

[IMG]http://[URL=http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/Markus83/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1471808158467_zpswnlvpqq1.jpg.html][/URL][/IMG]

Deep hole being dug for a crane I suppose and for perhaps underground parking if not at least for forming.
Pic by me.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 2:34 AM

might just be soil samples. If they're already starting construction that might be a record.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 2:41 AM

There is a scale model of this building in a sales office somewhere. It's not a big building so I wouldn't be surprised if it sells fast. Not to mention for out of town buyers who want to live on Locke, this is just about perfect.

I'll also add that this building is designed by a different architect than the royal Connaught. I believe the firm is out of Toronto.

Last edited by davidcappi; Aug 26, 2016 at 5:00 AM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
There is a scale model of this building in a sales office somewhere. It's not a big building so I wouldn't be surprised if it sells fast. Not to mention for out of town buyers who want to live on Locke, this is just about perfect.

I'll also did that this building is designed by a different architect than the royal Connaught. I believe the firm is out of Toronto.
starting at $400K. this place aint cheap

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 4:16 AM

From Jason Thorne's twitter account

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 3:08 PM

Advertising in Spec today that they are 75% sold! Not sure how many units that means ...anyone?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 7:05 PM

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 11:42 PM

Sorry know this is the wrong forum, but did anyone see the new building crane in the Durand Neighbourhood. saw one from the 403 (heading east at around the Main Street Exit) , in the direction of the Spec building). Looked like it may be in the Aberdeen and Dundurn area.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 1:11 AM

I believe you actually saw the crane up at Mohawk College.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
I believe you actually saw the crane up at Mohawk College.
many thanks ! Indeed must have been

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 8:38 PM

Looks like the foundation and garage are being dug out.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 8:48 PM
Hamilton Historian

this actually looks nice! I am loving what they did on the roof! Great way to give that footprint of land back for people to actually use

I would very much love to see more rooftops being used in this manner

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 6:11 PM
Hamilton Historian

some more stats on this project:

https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/us/101-locke-condos

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 11:10 AM

Anyone been by this site or Acclimation, are either forming yet, or will 20/22 George get the jump?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton