HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
I was looking at the rendering more closely and started laughing...they subtly placed a "mr peanut" right in the middle sitting on a bench!!!!!
Is it just me or are those 3 stones/benches peanuts as well?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 11:44 PM
-

they do look like sideways peanuts... there is something to the mr peanut reference then ... is it going to have some sort of peanut farm element to it?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 4:19 AM

New Orleans signs deal with state to settle design issues with University Medical Center

After months of private talks and public back-and-forth, city and state authorities have signed a written agreement settling several questions about the design of the planned Charity Hospital successor in Mid-City.

The state has committed, as it confirmed verbally in November, to building a second parking deck rather than cover a significant portion of the 34-acre footprint with surface parking. The deal also calls for the state to place retail spaces on the first floor of the parking decks along Tulane Avenue and, if legally permissible, to solicit private development of retail space along Canal Street.

http://www.nola.com/health/index.ssf...l_with_st.html

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 4:36 AM
TL;DR

Looks like a win for the city. Now that the parking is consolidated into two garages, does that mean they won't demolish all the buildings on the half of the site closest to Claiborne? I will shed no tears losing the Grand Palace Hotel, but there's a beautiful Victorian at the corner of Derbigny and Canal that should be saved.

previous site plan

Last edited by ardecila; Feb 26, 2011 at 4:46 AM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I will shed no tears losing the Grand Palace Hotel, but there's a beautiful Victorian at the corner of Derbigny and Canal that should be saved.
Agreed

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 7:23 AM
TL;DR

Hey tennis, what ever happened to that townhouse development you were working on in Lakewood South?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
they do look like sideways peanuts... there is something to the mr peanut reference then ... is it going to have some sort of peanut farm element to it?
I saw somewhere that Planters Peanuts is a sponsor of the project, and it will have some references to Planters in the park.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 7:03 PM

First off...love the Mr. Peanut in the drawing. Glad to see something being done with a vacant lot in Central City. I still believe that neighborhood has great potential given the location it is in. I'm also pleased to see that the new LSU medical center has agreed to build another parking garage and keep the existing street grid in place closer to I-10. If the Grand Hotel is not torn down, I would hope that someone could come in and rehab the structure since it will be in a prime location.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 8:28 PM
-

Quote:
Hey tennis, what ever happened to that townhouse development you were working on in Lakewood South?
Neighborhood shot us down for the rezoning... So we are weighing other options...

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 1:42 AM
TL;DR

Ah... damn NIMBYs.

I miss Chicago, where developers build townhouses after the neighborhood shoots down the plans for a tower. If you suspect neighborhood opposition, always high-ball the density, expecting it to be lowered. Even if they don't put up a fuss, you can still downsize.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 4:14 AM
-

Quote:
Ah... damn NIMBYs.

I miss Chicago, where developers build townhouses after the neighborhood shoots down the plans for a tower. If you suspect neighborhood opposition, always high-ball the density, expecting it to be lowered. Even if they don't put up a fuss, you can still downsize.
Well this was a unique situation, we could always go to city planning and may succeed the question was one of time... proposal certainly isnt dead...

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 5:24 AM
TL;DR

Thanks. Good to know it's still kicking in some form. We need as many new residents in the city as possible to offset the Katrina losses.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 5:47 PM
-

Quote:
Thanks. Good to know it's still kicking in some form. We need as many new residents in the city as possible to offset the Katrina losses.
Ill check and see if my company would mind me posting a rendering needless to say it was a massive improvement over the abandoned school grounds that are currently there... You guys will get angry when you see it, but Im sure we will do something there over the next year just wont be this schematic.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 7:34 PM
-

This website gives a great update on the progress of the renovation of the Hyatt Regency...Seems like it will be a really great hotel when all is said and done

http://www.regencyneworleans.renovat...om/hno/en.html

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 8:16 PM

Update / Question

Update: all of the buildings at Claiborne / Napoleon for the new CVS (or Rite Aid) have been demolished. There used to be an old bank, quiznos, and church there. I remember the neighbors threw a fit about the store coming in for a variety of reasons, but too bad! Those buildings had been flooded and vacant for nearly 6 years! Good riddance!

Here's another article on the proposed Walgreens at Magazine near Jefferson / Whole Foods in the old hall. Those neighbors are throwing a fit about that too including that "it would sell alcohol." Well, there's a bar and numerous restaurants (and whole foods) that all sell alcohol...so get over it. Whole foods even sells package and individual bottles of beer, which they act like is a terrible thing:

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...borhood_i.html

And does anyone know about the building that's being renovated and another story added to it right behind the Federal courthouse? It's the brown brick 4 story (soon to be 5) at Capedeville and Camp, next to PJ's.

Last edited by IceCream; Mar 1, 2011 at 8:17 PM. Reason: addition

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 9:31 PM
TL;DR

I'm not too worried about the Walgreens on Magazine. It's not like there are any mom-and-pop pharmacies in that area. There's a pretty ratty convenience store next to Perlis, but good riddance to that and its massive parking lot.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 9:45 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
Update: all of the buildings at Claiborne / Napoleon for the new CVS (or Rite Aid) have been demolished. There used to be an old bank, quiznos, and church there. I remember the neighbors threw a fit about the store coming in for a variety of reasons, but too bad! Those buildings had been flooded and vacant for nearly 6 years! Good riddance!

Here's another article on the proposed Walgreens at Magazine near Jefferson / Whole Foods in the old hall. Those neighbors are throwing a fit about that too including that "it would sell alcohol." Well, there's a bar and numerous restaurants (and whole foods) that all sell alcohol...so get over it. Whole foods even sells package and individual bottles of beer, which they act like is a terrible thing:

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...borhood_i.html

And does anyone know about the building that's being renovated and another story added to it right behind the Federal courthouse? It's the brown brick 4 story (soon to be 5) at Capedeville and Camp, next to PJ's.
I highlighted that section because if it is a proposed Walgreens that is a falacious argument as Walgreens has a company wide policy of not sellign alcohol. Rite aid and CVS however do!

BTW isnt this the same neighborhood that is having a dispute with the Pilates Instructor and her building? neighborhood sounds like its full of D**kheads!

As far as the building by Capdeville I have been to the architects website and there is no mention fo the project. does seem to be quite an expensive renovation though...Update: on the New Orleans Assessors website it says the building is owned by the State Board of Medical Examiners... So Im assuming it will have something to do with that!

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 1, 2011 at 10:06 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 4:08 AM
-

Kind of annoyed that the St Charles Streetcar will be shut down over the next year in two phases to have its wood replaced...but if it has to happen it does I guess...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 2:11 PM

Agreed about the streetcar. I hope they don't have to block off any lanes of traffic, that with the Magazine street construction could make moving around Uptown a bear.

Saw today that they have taken down the main for sale sign at the Lee Circle filling station and seem to be installing some type of temporary sign. Probably something for Mardi Gras...

The fuss over the walgreens is silly. Talk about pretentious. Heaven forbid someone come in and over pay for a blighted building and provide jobs and parking for your neighborhood!

Also, just noticed last night CVS moved into a spot at Jax brewery, right across the street from a Walgreen. (A Walgreens that tastefully fits into the architecture of the quarter.) Does anyone know what they are putting into the Jackson Square corner spot?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 2:40 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Agreed about the streetcar. I hope they don't have to block off any lanes of traffic, that with the Magazine street construction could make moving around Uptown a bear.

Saw today that they have taken down the main for sale sign at the Lee Circle filling station and seem to be installing some type of temporary sign. Probably something for Mardi Gras...

The fuss over the walgreens is silly. Talk about pretentious. Heaven forbid someone come in and over pay for a blighted building and provide jobs and parking for your neighborhood!

Also, just noticed last night CVS moved into a spot at Jax brewery, right across the street from a Walgreen. (A Walgreens that tastefully fits into the architecture of the quarter.) Does anyone know what they are putting into the Jackson Square corner spot?
Isnt it the CVS still all the way to the corner spot, didnt pay attention to be honest?
BTW it is clear that CVS is launching an all out attack on Walgreens in the local market... as its a CVS going on Napoleon/Claiborne corner across from a Walgreens too... this following several others they have opened up across the metro area... I actually prefer CVS personally as they do have a liquor section and a discount card lolol either way competition is good!

Also, no idea if I will get a response but I sent an email to the South Market District about whether WWl TV is planned to be a street level tenant in the complex. I was curious about this since a good sized portion of the proposed development is planned to be on land currently owned by the TV Station.

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 2, 2011 at 5:43 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations