HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

66 Rockwell Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 1:27 PM
don't *meddle*...

^^ thanks for the update! construction of the tower is confirmed by the ctbuh: http://buildingdb.ctbuh.org/?do=buil...lding_id=11371

Quote:
address 29 Flatbush Avenue
city New York City
state New York
country United States
material concrete
status under construction
use residential
start of construction 2011
height 139.30 meter / 457.02 feet
height to tip 139.30 meter / 457.02 feet
floors 42
apartments 327

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 11:29 AM

God the Brooklyner is so ugly.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2011, 11:00 PM
New Yorker for life

http://fort-greene.thelocal.nytimes....2-story-tower/

Little Room For Negotiation on 42-Story Tower

Drew Spitler, director of development for the Dermot Company, shows the renderings of 29 Flatbush Avenue at a community board meeting.

By NICHOLAS RIZZI
March 11, 2011

Quote:
The permits have already been granted and construction has began at the 42-story building planned for 29 Flatbush Avenue, but at Wednesday’s Community Board 2 meeting, local politicians continued to try to push the developer for more community space and work for women- and minority-owned businesses.

They had little success. A representative of the developer, Dermot Company, Inc., said there are no plans to add any community spaces, and that the building’s gym and two rooftop gardens are only for those who will live in the building.

“The tenants will have access to our amenities,” said Drew Spitler, Dermot’s director of development. “It is not open to the public.”

Construction on the 327-unit rental building, on Fulton Street and Rockwell Place near BAM, should be completed in June 2013, said Art Bonetti, the project executive for the development. The development, which will also include 7,600 square feet of retail space on Flatbush Avenue and Fulton Street and a 200-car parking garage, received all the necessary permits to begin laying the foundation in December, according to the Department of Buildings website. The project began construction that month.

Planning for this block goes back more than two decades. A 1986 land use application related to the Brooklyn Center Urban Renewal Plan authorized the transfer of a small parcel of city-owned property to The Dermot Company for the project, said CB2 District Manager Robert Perris. The building’s current height and density was made possible by a rezoning that was part of the 2004 Downtown Brooklyn Development Plan. In December, New York State kicked in $99 million in financing, with the requirement that the developers set aside 20 percent of the units for tenants that make up to $39,600 for a family of four.

Out of the 327 apartments, 66 will be set aside for affordable housing, with prices ranging from $555 to $891, Mr. Bonetti said. He could not provide figures for how much the market-rate apartments will rent for.

In February, Democratic District Leader Lincoln Restler, along with City Councilwoman Letitia James, State Assemblyman Hakeem Jeffries, and State Senator Velmanette Montgomery, sent a letter asking the developers to add community spaces, increase the number of affordable units, and set up targets to increase the percentages of contracts awarded to women- and minority-owned businesses and those that hire locally.

“I would hope this developer would be more responsive to our community needs,” said Mr. Restler. “It doesn’t seem that the Dermot Company seems interested in addressing housing and public spacing.”

During the presentation, Mr. Restler again raised the issue of adding more construction contracts set aside for local women- and minority-owned businesses. The state set a 9-percent goal for the Dermot Company in 2010, Mr. Spitler said, adding that the project has gone beyond that percentage — it currently sets aside 15 percent of the contracts to businesses owned by women and minorities.

“We have exceeded the target a fair amount already,” Mr. Spitler said. “We are working at getting that number even further.”

Mr. Restler said he still thought the number was low, and compared it to the 45-percent target that the Navy Yard has set for its development.

“That’s the kind of target we expect to see in our community for responsible development,” Mr. Restler said. The 9 percent that the state mandated is “a pretty modest target to be thinking about a project of this scale,” Mr. Restler said.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 2:35 AM
BROOKLYN

Nice. That's what I like to hear.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 12:59 PM
New Yorker for life

I think these buildings offer some nice views...

Ray Sorin

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 7:08 PM

Couple shots from Friday, March 11th. View from Flatbush Avenue looking toward the corner of Fulton and Rockwell.

Haven't seen them working on it since March 10th, that includes today. First time I've seen a break in construction since the moment they started breaking up the parking lot. Anyone have any information?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 9:44 PM
BROOKLYN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I think these buildings offer some nice views...
That's literally their advertisements "AMAZING VIEWS"

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 5:49 PM

Last Inspection: 03/01/2011 - - BY BADGE # 2240
Disposition: 03/04/2011 - L1 - PARTIAL STOP WORK ORDER
Comments: PARTIAL ISSUED FOR 8"FT WALL N DANGER OF COLLAPSE @ EXP# 2 NO WORK W/IN 5" OF THIS WALL @ ALL SIDES
DOB Violation #: 030111CEX02002AW

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 6:08 PM

They're out there working again today.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 5:34 PM

Picture from yesterday April 4, 2011..

Walking past this morning there was a lot of action in there early on around 7:30am. Looks like they're making up for lost time.

Old Posted May 24, 2011, 11:43 PM

where are they on this one now?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaso View Post
where are they on this one now?

May 27th:

June 9th:

Would like to get some shots on the other side (Rockwell/Ashland), but there's security and a lot more personnel/heavy equipment moving in and out of the site. That is where most of the progress has been made, but mostly with a tarp over the area. Tough to see a ton of progress, but from walking past it every day you can appreciate the pace they're moving at.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 6:55 PM

Obviously I'd love to get better (or different) angles and shots - but these pictures are being taken through a small hole in a mesh covered fence surrounding the site on Flatbush Ave. If I'm able to come into work early on a weekend I should be able to get better access without the heavy presence of people on the other side of the site. For now this is all I've been able to get. They have spent a lot of time pumping water from the ground.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 2:28 AM

Are there any updates for this building?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 4:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
I doubt that. Staten Island has not access to mass transit, has narrow streets, has only one bridge that would shut down during storms, has a ferry that could easily shut down, and no pedestrian/bike access. How can a place develop when it is basically isolated from the outside world of large buildings. Unless Staten Island has a large mass transit construction plan in the future I highly doubt that. The other two places I can see development like this in the next 10-20 years would be Queens, and the Bronx, and that is because they aren't isolated from the world of large buildings.
Queens is doing fine already. Gotham Center, Long Island City, etc.

Brooklyn really is turning into a wonderful area. Brooklyn Bridge Park, these new towers, Barclays Center, etc.

Bronx has work to do, but I like Via Verde, Bruckner, etc. Not tall, but they're nice stepping stones.

Staten Island? Who cares? I consider Jersey City the fifth borough, anyway.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 5:32 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loqy Lion View Post
Staten Island? Who cares? I consider Jersey City the fifth borough, anyway.
*sigh* what an ignorant statement.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 1:22 PM

Pictures of construction progress? I wanna see pictures.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabcom View Post
Pictures of construction progress? I wanna see pictures.
Here is a picture through the fence on June 9th, 2011:

Here is a picture through the fence on October 11th, 2011:

Again it's pretty tough to get any other angles for some pictures, as for now this is all I can get, but at least it's good for comparison purposes. Up until now there's been nothing but 10 months worth of digging and draining water, looks like there will be more action soon and maybe start seeing some changes in there.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 11:05 PM

Thanks for the update Ricky, hoping that this thing can finally up some steam.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Thanks for the update Ricky, hoping that this thing can finally up some steam.
Not a problem, took another one about 10 minutes ago on my walk into work:

Little blurry, but noticed they've already got a wall up, first vertical movement I've seen - stay tuned!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive