HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highinthesky View Post
I don't know what field of work you're in but it doesn't necessarily reflect poorly on one city when it is easier finding a job in a particular field in another.
I am a business professional and work in consulting. All areas of a regional economy are interconnected and even if the majority of the job problems in the London area are in manufacturing, it causes greater competition for other jobs.

For example, with all the people put out of work in manufacturing, many are left unemployed, while others who find other jobs are often making a fraction of what they were making before. That means less spending power. That means car dealerships, retailers, restaurants, and other businesses have lower sales. Lower sales means less money to pay workers, which leads to more part-time work and more unemployment. That affects virtually all sectors of the economy. While my industry has not been severely affected directly by the economic issues in London, it has been affected indirectly, and job opportunities in many industries in London are limited. The notable exception is medicine.

Quote:
Comments on good restaurants, live entrainment and friendly people is purely conjecture. Are you really saying that London doesn't have good restaurants and that you can't find live entrainment?
It is fairly well known among long-time Londoners that live entertainment in London has dwindled in quantity over the past 15 years. The loss of The Embassy and The Brunswick Hotel were big blows, and most of the other clubs that previously had live music only have DJs now. As for restaurants, I admittedly have not tried every single restaurant in London, but a well-respected restaurant publication (whose name escapes me) has commented year after year that London is best avoided if looking for good restaurants.

As for the friendliness of people, I don't even have to talk about my own experiences. My mother has lived all over Canada and found London the most difficult to meet people in. And someone I work with has a friend that moved to London last year with her husband, has lived all over North America, and she has found London by far the most difficult to make friends in. She found instant friends in every other city she has lived in, and yet has yet to make a single friend in London. In essence, what exists in London is not normal in other cities.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 1:15 AM
bro

Smile

Quote:
Comments on good restaurants, live entrainment and friendly people is purely conjecture. Are you really saying that London doesn't have good restaurants and that you can't find live entrainment?
Twenty minutes ago I was in the Music Hall watching Sloan play live. I actually got in for free thanks to one of the best neighbours I'll likely ever meet.

AND I ate at Shmokey's in the Historic London Mall today. I can't praise that place enough, you guys need to visit.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 2:13 AM

Hey compared to Vancouver is nirvana in terms of economic prospects. There are jobs in Vancouver but Vancouver is a very low wage city with housing nearly quadruple the price of London. Currently there are only 6 homes for sale in Vancouver and the bordering cities for under $600k. People out here are poor but worse than that they are in debt beyond belief. Trust me, the standard of living in London is MUCH higher than Vancouver.

Yes London could do more for itself but it's one hell of a nice city. Saskatoon is pretty and Regina less so but have very high crime rates and have no where near as much to do or as lively as London. Of course the grass is always greener but I have been to every major city in this country except for NS & PEI and London still ranks as having one of the highest qualities of life.

We all love to bitch about our cities but shy of London's horrid transportation system, Londoners are relatively little to bitch about.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 7:53 PM
Beefeater

A business professional that works in consulting. Trying to win a vague competition?

Sorry to hear your mom and friend have had such a problem in London. It completely contradicts my own experience having been here about 10 years but again these comments along with a vague reference to some article you can't remember regarding the quality of restaurants being poor is just more conjecture.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 11:15 PM
Sanity merchant

I love the people here, met and know lots. Good eats all around, as "good restaurants" is grotesquely subjective. People can nit pick all they want.

Traffic = same as other similar sized cities, though lacking a true way to get from one side to the other, 98% of people can make it from White Oaks to Masonville in a short period of time, only feeling it's long because they have fast food type mindsets. Including bus service, it isn't bad... seriously. People need to REALLY evaluate what they feel as bad is.

People = Working in the social services field, and only speaking from my experiences, friendly people, great vibes, though pretty introverted, as a lot of people in a lot of cities are. I can just as easily strike up a conversation with anyone, as I can be those who doesn't say anything to anyone in 4 hours at the mall.

Live entertainment = I can find plenty of local artists and whatnot when I want, visit pubs and places for shows. Just have to spend some time on finding it. Not being in the paper doesn't mean it's not there.

In general, EVERYONE can find faults with ANYTHING, ANYWHERE. What people need to do, and dammit when it bothers me that people don't, is look at the positives. I love downtown, I love the stores we have in the burbs, and love the people. I hate the hookers on Dundas (live off of it), I hate the lack of social services for people who need it, I hate the shitty council and mayor we have, but I live with those. I take pride in every place I can ever call home. Bad or not.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 12:29 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by K85 View Post
I love the people here, met and know lots. Good eats all around, as "good restaurants" is grotesquely subjective. People can nit pick all they want.

Traffic = same as other similar sized cities, though lacking a true way to get from one side to the other, 98% of people can make it from White Oaks to Masonville in a short period of time, only feeling it's long because they have fast food type mindsets. Including bus service, it isn't bad... seriously. People need to REALLY evaluate what they feel as bad is.

People = Working in the social services field, and only speaking from my experiences, friendly people, great vibes, though pretty introverted, as a lot of people in a lot of cities are. I can just as easily strike up a conversation with anyone, as I can be those who doesn't say anything to anyone in 4 hours at the mall.

Live entertainment = I can find plenty of local artists and whatnot when I want, visit pubs and places for shows. Just have to spend some time on finding it. Not being in the paper doesn't mean it's not there.

In general, EVERYONE can find faults with ANYTHING, ANYWHERE. What people need to do, and dammit when it bothers me that people don't, is look at the positives. I love downtown, I love the stores we have in the burbs, and love the people. I hate the hookers on Dundas (live off of it), I hate the lack of social services for people who need it, I hate the shitty council and mayor we have, but I live with those. I take pride in every place I can ever call home. Bad or not.
^Amazing post K85! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Yes the economy is shitty right now, and yes there are a lot of other things that suck about London, but we have a fascinating history, great people, thriving culture, an improving downtown and many other things to be proud of.

Like K85 I take pride in being a Londoner. Not because I think it's the greatest place in the world, but because I was born and raised here, so I don't have a choice. I could either complain about how much it sucks all the time, or I could learn more about the place I call home, be proud of it and think about how to make it better.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 3:03 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolognium View Post
Twenty minutes ago I was in the Music Hall watching Sloan play live. I actually got in for free thanks to one of the best neighbours I'll likely ever meet.

AND I ate at Shmokey's in the Historic London Mall today. I can't praise that place enough, you guys need to visit.
Funny, I was saying to my wife while driving past the London Mall today that we should check out Schmokey's BBQ, as I have heard nothing but good things about that joint in the shitty mall.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
It is fairly well known among long-time Londoners that live entertainment in London has dwindled in quantity over the past 15 years. The loss of The Embassy and The Brunswick Hotel were big blows
Hmmm... The loss of a couple of near-skid row dives playing local garage bands vs. the introduction of the 3rd most successful mid-sized entertainment facility in the world playing some of the biggest and most successful acts in the world. What happened to thinking big and getting out of the small town mindset?

Quote:
....and most of the other clubs that previously had live music only have DJs now.
That's the common trend everywhere these days. That's not a London thing. That said, I know some folks in the local music scene in London, and it's doing just fine thanks. You aren't looking very hard I guess. Try the Music Hall for starters.

Quote:
As for restaurants, I admittedly have not tried every single restaurant in London, but a well-respected restaurant publication (whose name escapes me) has commented year after year that London is best avoided if looking for good restaurants.
So what's your opinion, as opposed to this "unknown publication"? Where have been that you didn't like? Where haven't you been?

As for the sort-of-quoted assertion of your unrecalled-but-well-respected publication, that's an all-out lie. Period. But, hey that's just my opinion, so a very quick check on the web took me to the Urbanspoon website - where it lists over 120 restaurants with an 80% or greater rating. Tripadvisor lists over 100 with 4 or 5 star ratings. True, such stats are not from some food snob publication, but I would suggest that it would seem that you just might find a decent place to eat in the city - if one tried to do so.

I would suggest that the unrecalled publication that you refer to is not likely local but rather out of Toronto. The supposed reviewer likely never has visited London, as it is seen as unfashionable for such people to be outside of the Centre Of The Universe.

Perhaps their complaint is that there's no Mövenpick in London.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 6:01 PM

I'm sorry to say that I don't recall the name of the publication (which was an annual one), and it is not online. It was well-publicized on TV and in the Free Press for a number of years in a row whenever it came out, and it was heavily criticized by individuals whose idea of "good food" was burgers at Joe Kool's.

I will write more when I have more time.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 7:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

some of my fave London Restaurants:
-Massey's (Indian)
-Garlic's (this and that) and next door, the Tasting Room
-Auberge du Petit Prince (French)
-La Casa (Italian)
-Korean Restaurant (that is what it is called: Adelaide/Horton)
-David's Bistro

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 1:54 PM

Heard on the radio this morning that Novak's is closing, I cannot believe after being there for almost 100 years they are closing.

Sad day without a question

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 2:21 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^Ever since MEC opened, I thought that it was only a matter of time.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 3:49 PM

I really did not think MEC was going to take that much business from them however they must have. Novak's seemed busy every time I went in there, bought all my stuff pretty religiously from them for our yearly Algonquin trip.

Shame to see them go.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
I really did not think MEC was going to take that much business from them however they must have. Novak's seemed busy every time I went in there, bought all my stuff pretty religiously from them for our yearly Algonquin trip.

Shame to see them go.
It is a bit of a shame, but Novack's really has nothing on MEC's prices.

I do a lot of backpacking tours around the world and shop at places like Novacks frequently.. and Novacks used to be my store of choice, until MEC showed up in town..

Their prices are just so low.. Novacks isn't able to compete. At least from my experience.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 9:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 6:47 AM

I haven't really experienced that 'closed-off' thing either. London does seem to have that reputation though...Windsorites seem to think that Londoners are uptight snobs but I haven't noticed that at all.

I do have a problem with the traffic though and no way is it the same as in other similar sized cities. In Kitchener and Windsor you can just hop on an expressway to get across town.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 3:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Apparently CAMI (Ingersoll) could face massive job losses. LFP headline article today was that there is a looming showdown between CAMI and the former Saturn assembly plant in Tennessee. One plant will get the contract, the other will probably be shuttered. Here we go again; Electromotive redux.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 3:59 PM
User Registered

Not just CAMI, there are a lot of suppliers in London and area that make parts for CAMI.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into another Ford Plant thing...

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 5:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 6:44 AM

London without Novacks...........kinda weird. Where is the Mountain Co=op in London, is it also downtown?

The article didn't say why it was closing..........is it due to lower sales or just that they just didn't want to run it any longer?

BTW, I may be waaaaaay out of date but is Kingsmills still going?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy