HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisouthside View Post
Chicago is not alone at least, there's plenty of ugly monstrosities like that being built in the Bay and I was down in LA last week and alot of their new developments are also like that.
I was in Seattle most of last year for a project and it seemed like nearly every new and new-ish building had at lease 3-5 finish types. I just figured it was a small city hacky local firms were doing the work.

Is there a reason for inflicting something like this on a building?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 10:14 PM

Tbh I have no clue as im not too privy to design trends either. In the bay there's already alot of ugly office parks so I dont think there's as much of a pushback against ugly design.
I would imagine in the bay it might just be developers trying to add flair to cheap materials to offset the high land prices??

SF
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7729...7i13312!8i6656
Redwood City
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.4866...7i16384!8i8192

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post
I was in Seattle most of last year for a project and it seemed like nearly every new and new-ish building had at lease 3-5 finish types. I just figured it was a small city hacky local firms were doing the work.

Is there a reason for inflicting something like this on a building?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisouthside View Post
I would imagine in the bay it might just be developers trying to add flair to cheap materials to offset the high land prices??
My intuition says that high land prices plus tight zoning constraints would encourage more expensive materials. If it’s hard to increase the square footage you try harder to increase the rent per square foot.

Personally, I feel like the style has developed out of a new taste for “redeveloped” properties that have a mix of materials, old and new. Consciously or not that might be bleeding over into the design of new construction. Kinda how industrial-chic became popular after loft conversions took off. Also, it’s particularly common with large, block-sized developments, so it might be [badly] serving the purpose of visually breaking it up.

But I’m not an architect, just my guess.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:25 AM

I think some previous comments have hinted at this, but isn't the mixing of materials and facade an attempt (albeit a miserable one) at making these massive block-size developments feel more granular and less imposing? They're not fooling anyone, but I always assumed that was the reason. This is definitely too much. And heaven forbid we actually... I don't know... build at a smaller scale? I guess that's pie-in-the-sky thinking in the age of corporatism and a shrinking middle class. Well at least most people in the area will be too drunk to notice or care about this building.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:27 AM
>~< , QED!

Yeah, I imagine it gives the impression that it's multiple buildings instead of one big one.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
I think some previous comments have hinted at this, but isn't the mixing of materials and facade an attempt (albeit a miserable one) at making these massive block-size developments feel more granular and less imposing? They're not fooling anyone, but I always assumed that was the reason. This is definitely too much. And heaven forbid we actually... I don't know... build at a smaller scale? I guess that's pie-in-the-sky thinking in the age of corporatism and a shrinking middle class. Well at least most people in the area will be too drunk to notice or care about this building.
No - most of the residents are not drunk - This is a stadium in a neighborhood, not a stadium's area.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 1:24 PM
Leftist Correctist

Quote:
This is definitely too much. And heaven forbid we actually... I don't know... build at a smaller scale? I guess that's pie-in-the-sky thinking in the age of corporatism and a shrinking middle class.
Look I think the building's a dog, but what in the hell are you talking about?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 2:05 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
No - most of the residents are not drunk - This is a stadium in a neighborhood, not a stadium's area.
i lived in wrigelyville (3500 block of n. sheffield) from 2000-2005.

i think i was drunk for most of those 5 years.

but my memory is a bit hazy.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
I think some previous comments have hinted at this, but isn't the mixing of materials and facade an attempt (albeit a miserable one) at making these massive block-size developments feel more granular and less imposing? They're not fooling anyone, but I always assumed that was the reason.
I think it might actually achieve this from the sidewalk level, to a limited degree anyway. Still an awful building, though.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 4:28 PM

it's just too big, obviously, and crowds the ballpark

also it blocks some of the skyline view from the back deck on wrigley, but apparently they are closing part of that in for a club, of course, so who cares.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 1:07 AM

Here is some decently positive news:

A 1 story commercial building/strip mall on Lincoln Avenue in Lincoln Square between Argyle and Winnemac has a zoning application to build 2 buildings on it of 24 units total (12 units each) at 4 stories each (47 feet 6 inches). Unfortunately 38 total parking spaces and not sure if there's any retail/commercial component to it. Still better than what is there now.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 2:48 AM
Chicago

Nobu Hotel - 854 W Randolph

September 25, 2018

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 3:05 AM

that looks like it will be a cool little hotel if they ever finish it

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
that looks like it will be a cool little hotel if they ever finish it
Construction resumed (from grade) in May of 2018. This thing shot up. I'm not sure why the hate considering it has flown skyward after the original delay.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Here is some decently positive news:

A 1 story commercial building/strip mall on Lincoln Avenue in Lincoln Square between Argyle and Winnemac has a zoning application to build 2 buildings on it of 24 units total (12 units each) at 4 stories each (47 feet 6 inches). Unfortunately 38 total parking spaces and not sure if there's any retail/commercial component to it. Still better than what is there now.
That strip center is awful. Glad it's getting bulldozed.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 3:48 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Death to all strip malls!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Death to all strip malls!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
That strip center is awful. Glad it's getting bulldozed.
Yes - well hopefully it will pass. Most of these things pass though so it'll probably happen as long as they have the $$$$. I like how Lincoln Square on Lawrence, Western, and Lincoln have been having these kind of projects making it denser and also better urban-wise.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
I think it might actually achieve this from the sidewalk level, to a limited degree anyway.
Walked by it last night - I was wrong.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 6:20 PM
tilted & shifted

City proposes financing for $53 million renovation of Mark Twain Hotel (Clark and Division) under SRO preservation ordinance

The city of Chicago is proposing to help finance the $53 million renovation of the historic but run-down Mark Twain Hotel on the Near North Side as part of a broader effort to preserve single room occupancy buildings — the city’s original affordable housing.

Presented to the City Council last week, the proposal would back developer NHP Foundation’s ambitious project to spruce up the nearly 90-year-old art deco building with a $30 million bond issue, a $5 million loan for multifamily housing development and $1.3 million in low-income housing tax credits.

If approved by the council, the renovation of the five-story Mark Twain would begin in January, temporarily displacing its 100 remaining tenants for most of next year, but offering them a much improved home when they return. The building’s 152 units would be reduced to 148 as part of the renovation.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...ity-financing-
20180924-story.html

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 7:55 PM

New Low Density Guidelines from the unelected "Neighbors of the West Loop"

http://neighborsofwestloop.com/neighborhood-plan/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development