HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
Probably a timing thing and financing thing.
Oh ok. Got it.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
^Why will it take that long to get built?
They've decided to develop the mid-rise buildings first.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 6:07 AM

One thing Dallas has that might be copied on some of the new highrises in Houston is LED banding that allows the buildings to display graphics, lettering, etc. in a form that looks a bit like Times Square. I saw it on the side of the Omni Hotel downtown and at least two other office buildings. They've also incorporated dynamic color imagery into the lights of the Reunion Tower ball. It's pretty slick. I could imagine such a display on the backside of the GRB facing I-69.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 6:43 AM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
One thing Dallas has that might be copied on some of the new highrises in Houston is LED banding that allows the buildings to display graphics, lettering, etc. in a form that looks a bit like Times Square. I saw it on the side of the Omni Hotel downtown and at least two other office buildings. They've also incorporated dynamic color imagery into the lights of the Reunion Tower ball. It's pretty slick. I could imagine such a display on the backside of the GRB facing I-69.
That would look amazing. In addition, the taller, more noticeable towers in Downtown should have similar lighting schemes.

-sb

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 10:21 PM
favorite son

Quote:
houston, doesn't seem to harbor this form of imagination or will to be this creative. houston officials seem to think that being ultra conservative upon basically all construction approaches, shall be the consensus. this is indeed why dallas is always listed as the most favorite texas city from the standpoint of aesthetics... throughout the nation. dallas, just always seems to be the happening city.. much more so than houston.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
houston, doesn't seem to harbor this form of imagination or will to be this creative. houston officials seem to think that being ultra conservative upon basically all construction approaches, shall be the consensus. this is indeed why dallas is always listed as the most favorite texas city from the standpoint of aesthetics... throughout the nation. dallas, just always seems to be the happening city.. much more so than houston.
You're kidding, right ? Houston is America's "It" city. It's all I ever hear about outside urban geek circles.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
This is so very true. I was just telling a friend in describing Houston and Dallas that if both cities had to present flower pots, Houston's would be a square concrete grey box while Dallas' would be a box that has been painted with colorful etchings with a spotlight attached. That is the biggest difference in the cities imo. There is nothing wrong with being conservative, however Houston is conservative to a fault.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjhe View Post
This is so very true. I was just telling a friend in describing Houston and Dallas that if both cities had to present flower pots, Houston's would be a square concrete grey box while Dallas' would be a box that has been painted with colorful etchings with a spotlight attached. That is the biggest difference in the cities imo. There is nothing wrong with being conservative, however Houston is conservative to a fault.
I guess that fancy flower pot comes with that thick ostentatious air as well. Don't get me wrong though, Dallas is still a part of Texas and Texas is my home.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 4:11 PM

The other day I was driving on pierce elevated and I noticed a lot was being demoed, it looked to be around the location of 1811 San Jacinto.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 9:25 PM

The Chron has a pictorial of the second office building for Academy Sports and Outdoors:

Deal of the Week: Academy expands in Katy

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBJ
Westchase to get more apartments

More apartments are slated for the bustling west Houston area.
Houston-based Crimson Real Estate Fund and San Antonio-based USAA Real Estate Co. plan to break ground on The Residences at CityWest this month, the companies said Dec. 8.

Houston-based Patrinely Group, an affiliate of Crimson, is developing the 266-unit complex in the Westchase submarket. It will be built on a 3-acre site next to the 2500 City West Blvd. office building, which Crimson and USAA Real Estate acquired in November 2011.

The project team includes Looney Ricks Kiss Architecture of Memphis, Tennessee, and Jordan Foster Construction, which has offices across Texas.

Full Article: http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/n...partments.html

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 1:37 AM

OliverMcMillan has revealed what is an impressive tenant roster for the River Oaks development.

Retailers:
Akris – Swiss fashion label
Anne Fontaine – Women’s apparel
Bonobos – E-commerce driven men’s clothing
Brioni – Italian fashion house
Brunello Cucinelli – Cashmere designs and men’s and women’s sportswear
Canali – Italian tailor-made suits for men
Chopard – Swiss watches and jewelry
De Boulle Diamond & Jewelry – Fine diamonds and luxury timepieces
Diptyque – Parisian-based scented candles, perfumes, home fragrances and face and body care
Dolce & Gabbana – Italian fashion house
Etro – Italian fashion house including men’s and women’s ready-to-wear clothing, shoes, jewelry and home decor
Giuseppe Zanotti – Italian shoemaker
Intermix – Multi-brand fashion retailer
John Lobb – Men’s and women’s ready-to-wear
Kiton – Custom men’s and women’s clothing and accessories
L’Occitane – Skin and bath products
Moncler – Outerwear for men, women and children
Roberto Cavalli – Italian fashion designer

Restaurants:
Taverna – Italian cuisine
Thirteen Pies – Wood-fired pizzas and hand-cut pasta
Toulouse Cafe and Bar – Traditional bistro
Le Colonial – Upscale French/Vietnamese
American Food and Beverage (AF+B) – Upscale American in a neighborhood tavern setting

Spa:
Equinox – an upscale fitness club and spa

In addition to the shops and restaurants, River Oaks District will include 92,000 square feet of office space and 279 residential units. An eight-screen, 560-seat iPic Entertainment movie theater with dining and a bar/lounge will also operate in the center.

Dolce & Gabbana, Intermix and others to open in luxury development - Prime Property

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 2:56 AM

Intermix isn't exactly high end. I almost expect LUSH to move in next to them.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 3:09 AM

And another midrise residential wrap is about to go up near Exxon Mobil:

New luxury apartment project moves forward near Exxon Mobil campus

Last edited by toxteth o'grady; Dec 9, 2014 at 4:44 AM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 7:23 PM

More details about Park Place at Buffalo Bayou, direct from BisNow:

"Colvill Office Properties was retained to lease Park Place at Buffalo Bayou. The 250k SF, 10-story building is being built by Pinto Realty at Memorial and Waugh and recently broke ground. It will deliver in summer 2016, overlooking Spotts Park. Park Place is part of Buffalo Bayou Park, the centerpiece of a master redevelopment plan underway tying the CBD to Memorial Park along Allen Parkway and Memorial Drive. That’ll complete in Q2 ’15. Michael Anderson and Damon Thames will handle the assignment. Kirksey designed the LEED Silver property, and Tellepsen is GC."

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 11:57 PM
Houston:Considered Good

Quote:
More details about Park Place at Buffalo Bayou, direct from BisNow:

"Colvill Office Properties was retained to lease Park Place at Buffalo Bayou. The 250k SF, 10-story building is being built by Pinto Realty at Memorial and Waugh and recently broke ground. It will deliver in summer 2016, overlooking Spotts Park. Park Place is part of Buffalo Bayou Park, the centerpiece of a master redevelopment plan underway tying the CBD to Memorial Park along Allen Parkway and Memorial Drive. That’ll complete in Q2 ’15. Michael Anderson and Damon Thames will handle the assignment. Kirksey designed the LEED Silver property, and Tellepsen is GC."
Could you provide a source for that? Just cause I wanna read the full article.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 2:43 AM

I live in the apartments next door... glad I got a balcony facing Downtown otherwise I'd be pissed! Never thought a tower this size would've fit in that lot; let alone that it was even available for construction. I thought it was part of the park. Being a native Houstonian: It is what it is. Can't bitch too much about it. The unexpected is to be expected. OH, and maybe, its shadow will cover my building some in the summer and keep my bill down...one can always hope!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 2:46 AM

^^^

Well this wasn't unexpected, this was part of a larger organized plan to improve the area around Buffalo Bayou.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 2:54 AM

Disclaimer: I aint no NIMBY; but how does an office building do that?

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/busi...5920360.php#/0

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 2:58 AM

The office building was part of a larger master plan. Those can easily include office buildings just as was done on The Woodlands Waterway.

Quote:
Park Place is part of Buffalo Bayou Park, the centerpiece of a master redevelopment plan underway tying the CBD to Memorial Park along Allen Parkway and Memorial Drive

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations