HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1621  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 10:43 PM
diskojoe's Avatar
diskojoe diskojoe is offline
3rd Coast King
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrab View Post
BTW, I agree with most everyone here that Google ham-handled their Flickr transition.
But where else are people going to visit to find their photo stock, aside from a general web search or places like Getty?
I've been getting a lot of stuff e-published via Flickr, once I've tagged properly, because Flickr seems to be where people search first.
But my sense is that this will change in the near future. Seriously bummed.
Any tips on tagging? i could use some e-dollars!
__________________
Photo Threads
Flickr
Facebook

My Book
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1622  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 10:44 PM
diskojoe's Avatar
diskojoe diskojoe is offline
3rd Coast King
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Let me know how your experience went. I had a defective D7000. Nikon admitted it was a defective camera and "repaired it" It came back with the mirror outside the camera. I sent it back. Nikon "repaired it," but it still rendered a blurry image. I sent it back again, and the images were nice and sharp but the metering was totally off when it was fine before.

I gave up at that point and just wrote off the camera as a loss. My company has been nice and is letting me borrow the Canon 5D for my trips as long as I'm careful and I absolutely love it. But I can't afford it! In the meantime I've reverted back to the old reliable D40. I don't think I ever took a good photo with my D7000, and I'm not sure I know of many people that were overly happy with it. Most people I know dumped it after a few months and got other cameras.
You should upgrade to the d7100 or if you have any FX lenses got for a old d700 like photolith. They take nice pics.
__________________
Photo Threads
Flickr
Facebook

My Book
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1623  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 12:23 PM
wrab's Avatar
wrab wrab is offline
Deerhoof Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
Any tips on tagging? i could use some e-dollars!
Ha! I haven't asked for money yet - I just want attribution. These are mostly architecture/design photos that I've uploaded for posting. But they occasionally show up elsewhere nonetheless - journals, blogs, etc. I did get an offer from a local firm to buy two of the pics, but I'm so gobsmacked by their work product that I gave them away in return for name credit. That was probably very stupid of me.

Last edited by wrab; Jul 9, 2013 at 5:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1624  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 7:00 PM
diskojoe's Avatar
diskojoe diskojoe is offline
3rd Coast King
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrab View Post
Ha! I haven't asked for money yet - I just want attribution. These are mostly architecture/design photos that I've uploaded for posting. But they occasionally show up elsewhere nonetheless - journals, blogs, etc. I did get an offer from a local firm to buy two of the pics, but I'm so gobsmacked by their work product that I gave them away in return for name credit. That was probably very stupid of me.
people just steal my stuff all the time cause Im too lazy to watermark my stuff. I have all kinds of views from "unknown" sources. I need to get on chrome and backtrack my photos. They make a plug in that does that, FYI for anyone that wants to verify if there work is being used without your consent.
__________________
Photo Threads
Flickr
Facebook

My Book
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1625  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 2:03 AM
RyanD's Avatar
RyanD RyanD is offline
Fast. Fun. Frequent.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 2,818
Question for you guys.. Somebody reached out to me after seeing some of my photos and wants me to teach her how to use a dSLR along with some general photography stuffs. She just got a Nikon D3100, I have D5000 experience but now shoot Canon, and doesn't seem to really know the whole shoot RAW / manual settings game. So I obviously know some basics: exposure triangle, how to post-process RAW, etc. So what I'm trying to ask is, if you were walking around your downtown urban environment, wherever you may be, and someone is following you and trying to learn from you, what would you say / show / do? I really want to be somewhat useful next weekend and make a good afternoon out of it. Thanks for your help in advance.
__________________
DenverInfill
DenverUrbanism
--------------------
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1626  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 2:11 AM
Tony's Avatar
Tony Tony is offline
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,991
I think the true question here is: Is she hot?

Clearly I cannot offer you any useful input.
__________________
Hunan, China 1 | Hunan, China 2 | Hong Kong | NYC 2 | NYC 1 | Florence | Venice | Rome | London | Paris


Flickr®
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1627  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 3:05 AM
Doady's Avatar
Doady Doady is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,485
I am buying into the Olympus system, or more specifically Olympus E-P5 with 17mm F1.8 lens and EVF bundle.

My current point-and-shoot camera is 9 years old and my main annoyance with it is the dark lens, lack of DOF control, and the slow manual focus. So I want a compact system with lots of bright prime lenses with convenient manual focusing (complete with distance and DOF scales). Oly and Fuji are the only systems that seem to fit this criteria.

Of course, despite living in an urban area with over 5.1 million people, I can't find a single camera shop or electronic store within a 25 km radius of my house that actually stocks either the Olympus E-P5 or Fujifilm X-Pro1. Just another example of why I hate living in Canada.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1628  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 9:45 PM
diskojoe's Avatar
diskojoe diskojoe is offline
3rd Coast King
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Question for you guys.. Somebody reached out to me after seeing some of my photos and wants me to teach her how to use a dSLR along with some general photography stuffs. She just got a Nikon D3100, I have D5000 experience but now shoot Canon, and doesn't seem to really know the whole shoot RAW / manual settings game. So I obviously know some basics: exposure triangle, how to post-process RAW, etc. So what I'm trying to ask is, if you were walking around your downtown urban environment, wherever you may be, and someone is following you and trying to learn from you, what would you say / show / do? I really want to be somewhat useful next weekend and make a good afternoon out of it. Thanks for your help in advance.
So, is she hot?

If this was a true ssp meet up you would show her how to take photos drunk. Maybe work on exposure and white balance. Focus is key too. You might start with some stuff on a tripod. If she does not have a tripod then show her how to go and buy one, a nice heavy one to prevent shake. No crappy flimsy tripod for a toy camera.
__________________
Photo Threads
Flickr
Facebook

My Book

Last edited by diskojoe; Aug 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1629  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 10:04 PM
diskojoe's Avatar
diskojoe diskojoe is offline
3rd Coast King
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
I am buying into the Olympus system, or more specifically Olympus E-P5 with 17mm F1.8 lens and EVF bundle.

My current point-and-shoot camera is 9 years old and my main annoyance with it is the dark lens, lack of DOF control, and the slow manual focus. So I want a compact system with lots of bright prime lenses with convenient manual focusing (complete with distance and DOF scales). Oly and Fuji are the only systems that seem to fit this criteria.

Of course, despite living in an urban area with over 5.1 million people, I can't find a single camera shop or electronic store within a 25 km radius of my house that actually stocks either the Olympus E-P5 or Fujifilm X-Pro1. Just another example of why I hate living in Canada.
The oly's are top notch. Probably the fastest AF system out there right now. Pretty accurate from what Ive seen. I think youll like it. The have some decent lenses in the line up now too.
__________________
Photo Threads
Flickr
Facebook

My Book
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1630  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 12:12 AM
Doady's Avatar
Doady Doady is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,485
I think tripod might be part of "advanced" techniques. It more important to learn basics like exposure (especially lighting), and composition (although it is a complicated and difficult subject).

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
The oly's are top notch. Probably the fastest AF system out there right now. Pretty accurate from what Ive seen. I think youll like it. The have some decent lenses in the line up now too.
For street photography, I often like to zone focus, which is easy with the new Oly primes -- the 12mm F2.0 and 17mm F1.8 -- since they have distance and DOF scales.

That's part of the reason I am considering Fuji too, since they have electronic distance and DOF scales in the viewfinder and LCD.

But certainly fast AF is a nice feature for lots of purposes. Lack of speed is a major disadvantage of using a point-and-shoot, just another reason I want to upgrade. My camera takes 7 seconds to write a single RAW file, even longer for RAW+JPEG.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1631  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 5:28 PM
mSeattle's Avatar
mSeattle mSeattle is offline
Socialism 4 Extreme Rich?
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: here
Posts: 10,020
Anyone using the Sony RX100II or RX100m2? In your opinion, is it worth the price? I'm concerned about getting it as it might be too small and not have the picture quality I want.

Would a used Canon 5DMII at $1400 be worth the price? I've been saving up for a second/higher-end camera body than my second-hand 40D. My concerns on this side are that: 1) Nobody buys photos anymore 2) I can't travel small.

Anybody using the Canon SL1? Is it a gimmick?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1632  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 5:50 PM
mSeattle's Avatar
mSeattle mSeattle is offline
Socialism 4 Extreme Rich?
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: here
Posts: 10,020
Does anyone use software that can batch watermark that doesn't mess with the luminosity, color saturation... of the photo? I've tried to use "FastStone Photo Resizer" but it changes the luminosity/saturation. Trying to control the number of versions of photos I have.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1633  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 11:41 PM
diskojoe's Avatar
diskojoe diskojoe is offline
3rd Coast King
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
I think tripod might be part of "advanced" techniques. It more important to learn basics like exposure (especially lighting), and composition (although it is a complicated and difficult subject).
The tripod is a control to remove certain variables from the equation, specifically camera shake.
__________________
Photo Threads
Flickr
Facebook

My Book
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1634  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 10:43 PM
mr.John mr.John is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,906
This might be interesting viewing for some people

http://www.worldpressphoto.org/awards/2013
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1635  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 8:33 PM
mSeattle's Avatar
mSeattle mSeattle is offline
Socialism 4 Extreme Rich?
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: here
Posts: 10,020
^Thanks for the link!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1636  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 6:01 PM
M II A II R II K's Avatar
M II A II R II K M II A II R II K is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 46,874
Any idea as to how to fix a dislocated shoot and magnification button, and without getting electric shocks.
__________________
ASDFGHJK
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1637  
Old Posted Sep 15, 2013, 1:08 AM
ChiTownCity ChiTownCity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, USA
Posts: 1,163
^ I have no idea, but it sounds like you're screwed to me. What kind of camera is it and is the warranty expired?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1638  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 4:52 PM
M II A II R II K's Avatar
M II A II R II K M II A II R II K is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 46,874
There's this shop close by that will do any repair to cameras for like $30, and have it ready in like a couple of weeks average. Will just take it there.
__________________
ASDFGHJK
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1639  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 4:32 AM
photoLith's Avatar
photoLith photoLith is online now
Ex Houstonian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oakland, Pittsburgh
Posts: 11,916
I finally have enough money to buy a D4 and then some. Ugh I want it so bad but know it's a terrible financial decision. Ever since I've gotten into photography way back in 2001 I've wanted a D1, then a d2h, and then a D3, and now a I have the money for a D4. Dammit once I get a good paying job again I need to buy one so I don't have to feel like I'm making a terrible economic decision. First I need to finish the holy trinity as all I have left to buy is the 24-70 nikon fx f2.8.
__________________
Computer; end program.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1640  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 9:01 AM
Illithid Dude's Avatar
Illithid Dude Illithid Dude is offline
Paramoderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Santa Monica / New York City
Posts: 2,821
after like four or five months off the horse, i'm back in the photography game. god help me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:58 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.