HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 1:34 PM

Random stuff

Is Smashburger going at Magazine @ Jackson?

I saw the Bonefish Grill in Covington closed...or maybe it's undergoing renovations....odd.

Glad to see the 1667 Tchoup site being used for something. Currently a disgusting grassy lot, but a convenience store and two other units?...Hopefully it's nice. That area could use a nice gas station. It always annoys me that our gas stations are the sketchiest potentially in the country...

Update on the old NOCCA building mainly about having 13 units in the 2000 to 3500 sq foot range and selling at between $400-500 per ft. (holy shit) That's $800,000 on the absolute low end to $1.75 mil on the absolute high end.... Neat that they're going to have a small "guest" unit for visitors of the other units owners. Oh giving a clue as to how high-end they will be he said the the appliances for the 6 unit condos he just did on Audubon Park cost $110,000 alone. I'm assuming that's total so per unit $18,333....damn son. Link:

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...rmer_nocc.html

Also, there was an article about the new 400 seat auditorium opening at Federal City. It's mainly there as a lease requirement of the Marine's, but it will be available to the public which is pretty cool.

NORA is finally going to start getting money to help put the vacant / blighted properties back in commerce!!! Thanks Jeff!!!
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...ds_for_ro.html

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 5:45 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
Is Smashburger going at Magazine @ Jackson?

I saw the Bonefish Grill in Covington closed...or maybe it's undergoing renovations....odd.

Glad to see the 1667 Tchoup site being used for something. Currently a disgusting grassy lot, but a convenience store and two other units?...Hopefully it's nice. That area could use a nice gas station. It always annoys me that our gas stations are the sketchiest potentially in the country...

Update on the old NOCCA building mainly about having 13 units in the 2000 to 3500 sq foot range and selling at between $400-500 per ft. (holy shit) That's $800,000 on the absolute low end to $1.75 mil on the absolute high end.... Neat that they're going to have a small "guest" unit for visitors of the other units owners. Oh giving a clue as to how high-end they will be he said the the appliances for the 6 unit condos he just did on Audubon Park cost $110,000 alone. I'm assuming that's total so per unit $18,333....damn son. Link:

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...rmer_nocc.html

Also, there was an article about the new 400 seat auditorium opening at Federal City. It's mainly there as a lease requirement of the Marine's, but it will be available to the public which is pretty cool.

NORA is finally going to start getting money to help put the vacant / blighted properties back in commerce!!! Thanks Jeff!!!
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...ds_for_ro.html
Im not sure where the Smashburger is going but I know its not Jackson and Magazine. Thats going to be a really upscale burger joint with cigar bar etc. called Charcoal.

New Restaurant proposed for vacant warehouse at 617 Piety Street.

TEM 18 – Docket Number: 063-12 GM
Applicant or Agent: GRMC, LLC
Property Location: 617 Piety Street Zip: 70117
Bounding Streets: Piety, Desire, Royal, & Chartres Sts.
Square Number: 139 Lot: M-1
Zoning District: LI Light Industrial ZBM: D-14
Historic District: Bywater Local Historic Planning District: 7
Existing Use: Warehouse
Proposed Use: Restaurant

Request Citation: This request is for a variance from the provisions of Article 15, Section 15.2.1 (Table
15.A) of the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance.

Request: This request is to permit the conversion of 1/3 of a warehouse into a restaurant with insufficient
off-street parking.

Requested Waivers:
Section 15.2.1 (Table 15.A) – Off-Street Parking
Required: 18 Spaces Proposed: 0 Spaces Waiver: 18 Spaces

ITEM 26 – Docket Number: 071-12 DS
Applicant or Agent: Indulge Island Grill, LLC
Property Location: 845 Carondelet Street Zip: 70113
Bounding Streets: Carondelet, Baronne, St. Joseph, & Julia Sts.
Square Number: 235 Lots: 10 & 11
Zoning District: CBD-7 Central Business District ZBM: C-14
Historic District: Lafayette Square Local Planning District: 1
Existing Use: Vacant Building
Proposed Use: Restaurant and Health Club

Request Citation: This request is for a variance from the provisions of Article 15, Section 15.2.7(3)
(Table 15.C) and Article 15, Section 15.6.1 of the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance.

Request:
This request is to permit the conversion of a vacant building into a restaurant and health club with
insufficient off-street parking.

Requested Waiver:
Section 15.2.7(3) (Table 15.C) – Off-Street Parking
Required: 22 Spaces Provided: 8 Spaces (Grandfathered) Waiver: 14 Spaces
Section 15.6.1 – Fences
Required: 7’ Provided: 15’ Waiver: 8’

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 27, 2012 at 7:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 6:53 PM

From Ben Myers of CityBusiness, via Twitter:

Quote:
HRI Lodging announced today that Hard Rock Cafe is buying out Bourbon Cowboy and moving in as part of the Hyatt French Quarter project
https://twitter.com/#!/BenMyersCB/st...06131652919296
Quote:
The building is currently the Chateau Bourbon with frontage along Canal Street. Two new retail tenants finalizing leases along Canal…
https://twitter.com/#!/BenMyersCB/st...06598873210880
Quote:
...they are Pop This, a gourmet popcorn shop, and a high end yogurt shop
https://twitter.com/#!/BenMyersCB/st...06989476159488

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 8:23 PM

Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post

New Restaurant proposed for vacant warehouse at 617 Piety Street.

TEM 18 – Docket Number: 063-12 GM
Applicant or Agent: GRMC, LLC
Property Location: 617 Piety Street Zip: 70117
Bounding Streets: Piety, Desire, Royal, & Chartres Sts.
Existing Use: Warehouse
Proposed Use: Restaurant

Applicant or Agent: Indulge Island Grill, LLC
Property Location: 845 Carondelet Street Zip: 70113
Bounding Streets: Carondelet, Baronne, St. Joseph, & Julia Sts.
Existing Use: Vacant Building
Proposed Use: Restaurant and Health Club

Request:
This request is to permit the conversion of a vacant building into a restaurant and health club with
Isn't the Piety restaurant the new (real) location of Pizza Delicious?

And isn't the Carondelet address Global Green's offices currently?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 8:58 PM
-

Quote:
Isn't the Piety restaurant the new (real) location of Pizza Delicious?

And isn't the Carondelet address Global Green's offices currently?
Think your right about Pizza Delicious...the Carondelet deal is close to global green but is actually a building that collapsed several years ago. BTW does anyone know what type of deal has a restaurant and fitness club in one? SOunds interesting! Also, this building is directly across the street from Wisznia's future Garage Development.

ITEM 6 – Docket Number: 266-11 DS
Applicant or Agent: South Property Development, LLC
Property Location: 3308 Tulane Avenue Zip: 70119
Bounding Streets: S. Jefferson Davis Pkwy., Tulane Ave., S. Rendon & Gravier Sts.
Square Number: 677 Lots: 15, 16, 21-A thru 23-A,
24 – 28 (Proposed lot 21-B)
Zoning District: C-2 General Commercial/ Inner-City Urban Corridor
Historic District: N/A ZBM: C-13
Existing Use: Vacant Office Planning District: 1
Proposed Use: Multiple-Family Residential

Request Citation: This request is for a variance from the provisions of Article 4, Section 4.12.7, (Table
4.L) of the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance.

Request:
This request is to permit the conversion of an office building into a multi-family residential building with
insufficient minimum lot area per dwelling unit.

Requested Waiver:
Section 4.12.7 (Table 4.L) – Lot Area per Dwelling Unit

ITEM 7 – Docket Number: 282-11 DS
Applicant or Agent: Traçage Development, LLC
Property Location: 1100 Annunciation Street Zip: 70130
Bounding Streets: Annunciation St., John Churchill Chase St., Gaiennie St., Pontchartrain
Expy.
Square Number: 70-A Lot: L-1-A
Zoning District: CBD-9 Central Business District ZBM: C-15
Historic District: Warehouse District Local Historic Planning District: 1A
Existing Use: Parking Lot
Proposed Use: Mixed-Use Commercial/ Residential

Request Citation: This request is for variances from the provisions of Article 6, Section 6.10.7 (Table
6.J) of the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance.

Request:
This request is to permit the construction of a mixed-use building that will exceed the existing average
street façade height within thirty (30) feet of a street line and insufficient required open space.

Requested Waivers:
Section 6.10.7 (Table 6.J) – Maximum Height within Thirty (30) Feet of a Street Line
Required: 41’ 3”1 Proposed: 170’ Waiver: 128’ 9”
Section 6.10.7 (Table 6.J) – Required Open Space Ratio
Required: .10 Proposed: .036 Waiver: .064

TEM 8 – Docket Number: 022-12 DS
Applicant or Agent: Trinitoid LLC/Stephen Mouton
Property Location: 3127 A & B Ponce De Leon Street Zip: 70119
Bounding Streets: Ponce De Leon, N. Lopez, Maurepas, Mystery Sts, & Esplanade Ave.
Square Number: 1554 Lot: G-1
Zoning District: B-1 Neighborhood Business ZBM: C-12
Historic District: Esplanade Ridge Local Historic Planning District: 4
Existing Use: Two-Family Residence
Proposed Use: Mixed-Use (Ice Cream Shop and Single-Family Residence)

Request Citation: This request is for a variance from the provisions of Article 15, Section 15.2.1 (Table

Request:
This request is to permit the conversion of a two-family residence into a mixed-use building with

Requested Waiver:
Required: 4 Spaces Provided: 2 Grandfathered Spaces Waiver: 2 Spaces
ITEM 10 – Docket Number: 034-12 DS
Applicant or Agent: 5935 Magazine St., LLC
Property Location: 5933-35 Magazine Street Zip: 70118
Bounding Streets: Magazine, State, Camp and Eleonore Sts.
Square Number: 16 Lot: E
Zoning District: B-2 Neighborhood Commercial ZBM: A-15
Historic District: N/A Planning District: 3
Existing Use: Office Building
Proposed Use: Office/ Retail Building

Request: This request is to permit the conversion of a portion of an existing office building to retail
space with insufficient off-street parking.

Requested Waiver:
Required: 10 Spaces Provided: 9 Spaces Waiver: 1 Space

ITEM 12 – Docket Number: 036-12 DS
Applicant or Agent: Clayton Ventures, LCC
Property Location: 2701 Tchoupitoulas Street Zip: 70130
Bounding Streets: Tchoupitoulas St., 4th St., Rousseau St., and Washington Ave.
Square Number: 23 Lots: A, 3, and B
Zoning District: LI Light Industrial ZBM: C-10
Historic District: Irish Channel Local Historic Planning District: 2
Existing Use: Office/ Warehouse
Proposed Use: Health Club/ Office

Request Citation: This request is for a variance from the provisions Article 15, Section 15.2.1 (Table

Request: This request is to permit the conversion of a warehouse into a health club with insufficient off-
street parking.

Requested Waiver:
Required: 10 Spaces Provided: 2 Spaces (Grandfathered) Waiver: 8 Spaces

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 27, 2012 at 9:13 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 9:03 PM

Trent Reznor

Oh, forgot to mention that I saw they've started renovating Trent Reznor's old house on Magazine. There was an article months ago talking about it and how I think the owners also own the parking lot across the street and Courtyard grill as well as a few other things throughout the area.

Anyway, I have high hopes that it brings a long vacant building back into use even if it's as a residence.

I'll have to look at which building is 845 Carondelet on my drive down tomorrow.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 9:20 PM
-

Quote:

I'll have to look at which building is 845 Carondelet on my drive down tomorrow.
Calling it a building is a bit misleading... its just a front facade nothing else.

Permit:
735 BOURBON ST(this building has been empty and an eyesore on Bourbon for years)
NEW ORLEANS LA 70116
Project Description:
INTERIOR/EXTERIOR NON-STRUCTURAL RENOVATIONS TO EXISTING NIGHTCLUB AS PER PLANS AND VCCP-11-1005Job Value($):
$900,000.00

ITEM 31 – Docket Number: 025-12 DG
Applicant or Agent: Apasra Properties, LLC
Property Location: 613 Decatur Street Zip: 70130
Bounding Streets: Decatur, Toulouse, Chartres, & Wilkinson Sts.
Square Number: 26 Lot: C
Zoning District: VCC-2 Vieux Carré Commercial ZBM: D-14
Historic District: Vieux Carré Planning District: 1b
Existing Use: Vacant Lot
Proposed Use: Commercial Building

Request Citation: This request is for a variance from the provisions of Article 8, Section 8.5.7 (Table
8.D) of the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance.

Request:
This request is to permit the construction of a commercial building with insufficient minimum open space
on an interior lot.

Requested Waiver:
Section 8.5.7 (Table 8.D) – Minimum Open Space (Interior Lot)
Required: 30% (410 sq. ft.) Provided: 13.6% (186 sq. ft.) Waiver: 16.4% (224 sq. ft.)

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 9:47 PM

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...wboy-location/

Hard Rock will be closing the S. Peters location (as I expected). Move will be complete by the end of the year. I'm sure it'll get a lot more foot traffic on Bourbon, but hopefully somethign decent will take the S. Peters location.

Yay for 735 Bourbon! Yeah I remember probably 10 years ago when that was a shitty nightclub and its been vacant ever since. Sounds like it'll still be nightclub, but hopefully decent.

Is the 613 Decatur referring to that wide "alley" in between Maspero's and the crappy jewelry shop as a "vacant lot"? Building it out?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 12:39 AM

Hard Rock's current location is great, so I would think a good tenant will fill that spot! If so, this move is a win-win. Improves the first block of Bourbon and potentially gives us a quality retailer.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 1:13 AM
TL;DR

I like Bourbon Cowboy! Okay, I don't actually like it, but it's perfectly fine by Bourbon St standards. More than that, it's not a chain. I hate Hard Rock Cafe. It's an insult to music, restaurants, and our fair city.

On the other hand, if it opens up the South Peters site, we might be able to get some sort of legitimate retailer in there - you've got French Connection right next door. It'd be perfect for H&M, who wants a big street-level space with lots of frontage and tons of foot traffic. Plus, it's got several parking lots nearby (which is unfortunate, but a positive note for a retailer).

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 5:16 AM
-

Ultimately I think the move is a positive. Hard Rock is an upgrade for Bourbon and I think a great store could fill in for where Hard Rock is currently. Hopefully more of the parking lots can be developed.

And 613 decatur is referring to the alleyway.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 2:09 PM

Quote:
735 BOURBON ST(this building has been empty and an eyesore on Bourbon for years)
NEW ORLEANS LA 70116
Project Description:
INTERIOR/EXTERIOR NON-STRUCTURAL RENOVATIONS TO EXISTING NIGHTCLUB AS PER PLANS AND VCCP-11-1005Job Value($):
$900,000.00
This is actually going to be a strip club on Bourbon. Our company was looking at it. They are putting alot of money into it, but they need to because the building was built around the 1840's to 1850's. From what we were hearing, it won't be your average strip club, more of a "he-she" type club

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 2:16 PM

Geez

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractortiger View Post
This is actually going to be a strip club on Bourbon. Our company was looking at it. They are putting alot of money into it, but they need to because the building was built around the 1840's to 1850's. From what we were hearing, it won't be your average strip club, more of a "he-she" type club
Well, if that's your thing (not necessarily YOU) eh..cool. But the precedent set on Bourbon for those right now are EXTREMELY creepy / trashy looking.

Anyway...

Here's the rendering (shitty) of the old NOCCA building (from uptownmessenger.com but it's really from nola.gov)

The summary of the story is that some of the neighbors dont' like the wing additions to the building and the balconies. I agree the image looks kinda goofy with the balconies, but it may just be the quality of the image. I also agree that it'd be shitty to live in a balcony-less condo with no way to get outside and get a fresh breath or relax and have a drink. (better shut my trap..just saw who one of the neighbors is....thank goodness for anonymity)

Story:

http://uptownmessenger.com/2012/03/p...ss-opposition/

Oh and the Summit Fremeaux project is going to re-break ground this summer:

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...lls_summi.html

I'm less than enthused. It was originally going to be more high end and now it has TJ Maxx as an anchor...

Last edited by IceCream; Mar 28, 2012 at 2:33 PM. Reason: edit

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 4:43 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
More off-street parking should be provided, in case the garage on the building’s first floor is taken up by storage of residents’ boats or third cars.
OMFG. Are they serious?

Those balconies ARE ugly, BTW. They need to go for some small hanging ones, not huge honking French Quarter galleries.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 5:15 PM

I like the big balconies in theory, I'm just trying to visualize how that would fit into the neighborhood.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 6:48 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractortiger View Post
Its not going to be a Lucky Changs is it? I always enjoyed the transexuals there and the lapdances theyd give to unsuspecting straight men. Was always hilarious!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 6:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
I like the big balconies in theory, I'm just trying to visualize how that would fit into the neighborhood.
LOL at the people saying this project needs more offstreet parking. This is why there is no point in trying to appease nimbys. As for the balconies if you want to have an idea of what it could look like there is a condo building on the corner of rampart and Esplanade that kind of looks similar.

Permits

111 ROBERT E LEE BLVD
#A
NEW ORLEANS LA 70124
Project Description:
TENANT BUILD-OUT OF AN EXISTING SHELL SPACE, (SMOOTHIE KING, UNIT 111-A), AS PER PLANS. ANY SIGNAGE WILL REQUIRE A SEPARATE PERMIT AND CITY PLANNING COMMISSION APPROVAL.

3300 MAGAZINE ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70115
CONVERT EXISTING OFFICE (INTERIOR DESIGN SERVICE) TO A RESTAURANT AS PER PLANS AND HDLCP-12-0037.
Job Value($):
$450,000.00

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 28, 2012 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
LOL at the people saying this project needs more offstreet parking. This is why there is no point in trying to appease nimbys. As for the balconies if you want to have an idea of what it could look like there is a condo building on the corner of rampart and Esplanade that kind of looks similar.
I agree with some of the others who say they like this in theory. Of course it could always look poorly done, but same goes with the smaller balconies, it just depends on how they do it. I hope the condos get the most square footage feasibly possible on those balconies.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 7:50 PM

The plans were very vague on what the final business was going to be named. All i could tell what the owner was Deja Vu Consulting Inc. They own a ton of different strip clubs, so there is no telling what it will be named. I'm pretty sure it wont be a Lucky Chang's type of place though. That's too bad, Lucky Changs was pretty damned entertaining, no matter what you were into.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 8:02 PM
-

845 Carondelet Renderings:

Not sure whats going on here!

Additional Permits:

2017 CANAL ST(this shows the future hospitals are already affecting nearby areas)
NEW ORLEANS LA 70112
Project Description:
INTERIOR DEMOLITION OF VACANT COMMERCIAL (2017-21)STRUCTURE. NO USE & OCCUPANCY. PLANS TO FOLLOW.

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 29, 2012 at 5:30 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations