HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Post Office Redevelopment Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 7:56 PM
The City

^ Well, you gotta start somewhere!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
I'm guessing that's exploratory work. It will take a long time if they're using a portable power washer, pvc bucket and 4' ladder for the real job!

WRONG- Wrong- wrong...that's an 18' ladder!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
WRONG- Wrong- wrong...that's an 18' ladder!
I also note that there are 5 guys standing around doing nothing, one guy actually doing something with a piece of equipment, and one guy watching him. This is indeed Chicago.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 8:33 PM
BANNED

arent all the blue hats office fucks?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 8:44 PM
The City

Quote:
I also note that there are 5 guys standing around doing nothing, one guy actually doing something with a piece of equipment, and one guy watching him. This is indeed Chicago.
No, it's only Chicago if that's happening on the public dime.

This is a private entity

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 8:58 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Who's going to supervise the supervisor's supervisor?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 11:14 PM
TL;DR

Guys, they've been working at the Post Office for months doing demo work and cleaning out the building, working around the clock, doing stuff you don't need a permit for.

The loading dock on Harrison has a constant stream of dumpsters coming and going. I don't think that photo is showing some kind of huge mobilization... the guys in hard hats are likely architects or managers on a site visit.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 12:27 AM
The City

^ Are you kidding? In Chicago you need a permit to change a light bulb! I'm not even joking

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
Who's going to supervise the supervisor's supervisor?
At the least, nobody that nobody sent.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Guys, they've been working at the Post Office for months doing demo work and cleaning out the building, working around the clock, doing stuff you don't need a permit for.

The loading dock on Harrison has a constant stream of dumpsters coming and going. I don't think that photo is showing some kind of huge mobilization... the guys in hard hats are likely architects or managers on a site visit.
They have been doing demo work and asbestos abatement for a few months. I don't know anything about whether or not the had/need permits to do that work. Also, I heard that the cost of asbestos removal will end up being around $150 Million.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 6:58 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiModal View Post
They have been doing demo work and asbestos abatement for a few months. I don't know anything about whether or not the had/need permits to do that work. Also, I heard that the cost of asbestos removal will end up being around $150 Million.
You do need a demo permit, but that's basically a rubber stamp. I think Davies actually pulled that permit before the sale even closed, and they just transferred it over to the new owner.

It happens so fast that preservationists often don't hear about a demolition until it's already underway, hence the 90-day delay for orange-rated properties. In this case it's only interior demolition, so there was no historic review needed.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 8:51 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiModal View Post
I always knew it was gonna be a yuge amount, but $150 Million for the asbestos removal...good Lord.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 10:16 PM
The City

^ I'm willing to bet the developers are in talks with a big fish as far as a tenant. I'm betting some day we will hear a big announcement, although probably not for a while

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
I always knew it was gonna be a yuge amount, but $150 Million for the asbestos removal...good Lord.
Amazing, but good in a way. Most of it is labor costs presumably, so the trades (or just some kind of non unionized workers maybe) working in the city will see their families enriched by a large fraction of $150 million. Transfer of wealth from 601W to da neighborhoods and suburbs.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 12:17 PM
The City

Is there any way to change that way outdated rendering associated with this thread?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 1:39 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Amazing, but good in a way. Most of it is labor costs presumably, so the trades (or just some kind of non unionized workers maybe) working in the city will see their families enriched by a large fraction of $150 million. Transfer of wealth from 601W to da neighborhoods and suburbs.
Sure, why not. I think you missed the pun in my original statement. And yes, it is amazing in a good way, especially considering I've been advocating for the redevelopment of this property, speaking privately with a number of developers and hospitality executive a full 2 years before Davies took over, and came very close in helping create a consortium of developers that wanted to bring this jewel back to life...but were always, ALWAYS incredibly concerned about the potential cost of one massive issue: asbestos abatement (which I've also brought up in this forum more than a couple of times, as well as in private conversations with fellow forumers). Fortunately, that issue is being dealt with in the best possible manner.

At the end of the day, I'm incredibly thrilled that this beautiful building is being redeveloped. Granted, not in the way that I and a number of other individuals had envisioned, but one cannot let personal bias cloud judgement, and I'm still very happy that this is finally happening.

Last edited by sentinel; Oct 8, 2016 at 5:00 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 6:15 PM

Any chance this foundation could support a highrise after the renovation? Or is this just one and done.? I understand the age difference but what about a block37 type of thing?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 7:53 PM
Urbane observer

Undoubtedly Graham, Anderson, Probst & White was very conservative (by modern standards) when designing the building's foundations, but I'll guess 6-8 additional stories is about all you could put on top. Not worth the hassle with landmarks authorities when there are vacant or soft sites all around.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 4:31 PM

I know the site has changed hands multiple times but is there any way to get financial assistance from the government to remove it since it originally was a government building?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 11:05 AM
Chicagoland Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
I know the site has changed hands multiple times but is there any way to get financial assistance from the government to remove it since it originally was a government building?
Doubtful. Like you mentioned, it's been in private hands since October 2009. Although such grants exist for individual property owners and not-for-profits, the US government does not have (I believe) any financial assistance programs for a for-profit corporation looking to abate and restore a historic building like this one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development