HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 3:31 AM

^^^^

Canada usually slaps around the USA at this "teen bowl" as I call it. Even back when I was in HS Canada stomped around the USA all the time. The USA team does not take the player development and practice seriously and always pays the price. You can't draw conclusions from these games. The truth is many of the USA kids are blue chip recruits in the making and wilk end up at Alabama and Texas whole many kids from other nations will maybe play major junior if that.

There is still a great gap but it's closing a bit as many more Canadians get recruited as prospects for major USA division one programs. Lots of Ontario kids get looks from Big 10 schools for example.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
Canada usually slaps around the USA at this "teen bowl" as I call it. Even back when I was in HS Canada stomped around the USA all the time. The USA team does not take the player development and practice seriously and always pays the price. You can't draw conclusions from these games. The truth is many of the USA kids are blue chip recruits in the making and wilk end up at Alabama and Texas whole many kids from other nations will maybe play major junior if that.

There is still a great gap but it's closing a bit as many more Canadians get recruited as prospects for major USA division one programs. Lots of Ontario kids get looks from Big 10 schools for example.
Stop, just stop with the bullshit. I was just waiting to see which one of the Canadian football "haters" would be the first to post the old "they didn't have their best routine"

Listen to what the commentators say when they are first on camera.

It's just a real coincidence that the people who bitch in this and the stadium forums are non critical and happy in the MLS forum. Maybe some of us should troll over there like some do here. Just sayin'

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 2:35 PM

Beating the States at football, regardless of what kind of team they send, is always a plus for Canadian football. And the Americans don't send their A-squad but they don't send a bunch of slackers either. This IS a big deal for Canadian football, plain and simple.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
Beating the States at football, regardless of what kind of team they send, is always a plus for Canadian football. And the Americans don't send their A-squad but they don't send a bunch of slackers either. This IS a big deal for Canadian football, plain and simple.
They did, listen to the American commentators at the start. This is a broadcast of USA Football not TSN. Do we always need to make excuses for this stuff?

3:35:30 "The Under 18 National Team is the best U18 players USA Football has"

Last edited by elly63; Jan 19, 2018 at 9:21 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 9:29 PM

CFL approves MLSE ownership of Argonauts
New owners announce changes in team's leadership
The Canadian Press January 19/18

Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment is making some leadership changes with its CFL franchise now that the league's board of governors has approved the company's acquisition of the Toronto Argonauts.

Michael Copeland will no longer serve as team president and CEO, but is tabbed to join the MLSE leadership team.

MLSE says in a news release that Toronto FC president Bill Manning will take over as Argonauts president.

Sara Moore, the Argos' senior vice-president of business operations, will also join MLSE's leadership team.

MLSE announced Dec. 13 that it had an agreement in place to buy the Grey Cup champions.

MLSE also owns the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs and NBA's Toronto Raptors.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 12:08 AM

Oh Canada! Youth football teams find success versus U.S. opponents
Tim Baines Postmedia January 18, 2018

Wearing a red maple leaf instead of a raven on his shirt, Steve Sumarah couldn’t be prouder or more excited.

The head coach of Canada’s U18 and U19 teams competing in the International Bowl at Arlington, Tex., Sumarah says this is a chance for kids from this country to prove what they can do on a grand football stage.

So far, so good. Canada’s U18 team knocked off the U.S. 42-26 Wednesday night. Up next is a U19 showdown on Friday at 9 p.m. (streamed on ESPN3, on You Tube via USA Football and accessible through Football Canada’s website).

“When this (series of games) first started, I really believe there was a whole big aura that there was no chance for Canada to beat the U.S,” said Sumarah, whose regular assignment is as head coach of the Carleton University Ravens. “We were going to go have fun, but we couldn’t win. Now, these guys are going to not only compete, they’re going in to win. That’s a huge change in attitude and thinking … all for the positive.”

In the world junior championship, Canada, then coached by Warren Craney, won a gold medal in 2016 by defeating the U.S. 24-6. Canada also won gold in 2012 and was runner-up in 2009 and 2014. Sumarah took over as head coach after the 2016 worlds. Players from the U18 and U19 teams competing this week will be evaluated and a team will be put together for the next world championship this summer in Mexico.

“I wanted to be part of representing my country,” Sumarah said. “It’s a great experience for a players, but I also think it’s a great experience for us. You don’t get these opportunities, especially in football, to get these moments. It’s different in a very patriotic way. Guys on the U18 and U19 teams travel around the country, but what’s neat about this is they come together and form a bond playing for their country.”

These Canadian teams are stacked.

Explained Sumarah: “Every one of the U19 players will have a major NCAA Division 1 scholarship offer. They’ll be signing letters of commitment within the next two, three weeks. Last year, the three quarterbacks that played in this game: one went to Alabama; the others went to Notre Dame and Virginia Tech. We’re talking big-time schools. If you really want to challenge yourself as a football player, what better opportunity than this?”

There are obstacles for the Canadians. The games are played under U.S. rules, so throw out the wider and longer field, pre-snap motion by multiple receivers and other things that make the Canadian brand of football unique.

“The biggest issue is the motion,” Sumarah said. “That’s been the hardest thing, guys just leaning. You don’t even think twice about that in Canada. Down here, you flinch or move a bit and you’re offside. Then you talk about something like a fair catch, when to touch the ball and when not to, when to let it bounce and when not to. It’s a big adjustment.”

On Wednesday, the U18 Canadians won for the fifth time in their past six meetings with the U.S.

Canada fell behind 8-0., but, after a pair of field goals by Antoine Couture, another field goal gave the Americans an 11-6 lead with 1:17 left in the first half. After a Jacob Biggs interception, QB Lukas Boulanger connected with Tyson Rowe for a one-yard touchdown for Canada with three seconds left before halftime. Jalen Philpot, Canada’s MVP for the game, ran into the end-zone from four yards out for another score in the third quarter. Then, a key interception by Riley Gabriel led to an Adre Simmonds touchdown. Another Philpot touchdown, this one from 46 yards, widened Canada’s lead. After another Couture field goal, Nicolas Lessard scored on an interception.

“The guys came to play,” Sumarah said. “They were so amped up for this game all week long. To be honest with you, I thought we out-physicalled them. For me, to be able to have this (maple leaf) on my chest, it’s a very proud moment. I have coached in a lot of football in the last 20 years, but there’s something to be said about winning, wearing your Canadian colours proudly.”

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 7:52 PM

I'd love to have a couple of these

CFL Jerseys get the Hockey Treatment 2.0
Robbie Abrahamson cfl.ca January 19 2018

As some of you may already know, we had a creative fan (Tim Hodge, @CFLUniMonitor on Twitter) in the past show off his jersey designing skills:

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 6:15 PM

The Bombers picked up Darian Durant to back up Matt Nichols... That will improve the depth situation relative to last year. I dare say this is the best depth at QB the Bombers have had since the early 2000s when Kevin Glenn backed up Khari Jones.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 6:27 PM

^A good move

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
They did, listen to the American commentators at the start. This is a broadcast of USA Football not TSN. Do we always need to make excuses for this stuff?

3:35:30 "The Under 18 National Team is the best U18 players USA Football has"
WOW, good to know. Historically they don’t. Glad to hear that was the case this time around.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
WOW, good to know. Historically they don’t. Glad to hear that was the case this time around.
Well, the last few years I've been watching it, they've said the same thing. I don't why, since the beginning of this tournament, why USA Football wouldn't have their best players. They've got two arms and legs like most everybody else, they're not Supermen.

Maybe people can't distinguish when they have a few teams in the series. They have the U18 (the true National team) a "Select" team and sometimes regional teams, East, West etc.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 9:47 PM

Bill Manning on attracting Argos fans to BMO Field: Hopefully we can convince the masses using our MLSE machine
Prime Time Sports sportsnet.ca January 22 2018

The Argos and TFC president discusses his new role with the football club, what his first order of business is with the team, the solid football foundation the team has, how he hopes to replicate his success with Toronto FC, and the benefits of using MLSE resources to help grow the Argos.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Bill Manning on attracting Argos fans to BMO Field: Hopefully we can convince the masses using our MLSE machine
Prime Time Sports sportsnet.ca January 22 2018

The Argos and TFC president discusses his new role with the football club, what his first order of business is with the team, the solid football foundation the team has, how he hopes to replicate his success with Toronto FC, and the benefits of using MLSE resources to help grow the Argos.
There is no reason the Argos cannot draw similar to what Hamilton and Ottawa do now. With the resources now of Rogers and MLSE and the buzz from the Grey Cup win they should at-least be able to gain 3000 to 5000 more season ticket holders this off season maybe more.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
There is no reason the Argos cannot draw similar to what Hamilton and Ottawa do now. With the resources now of Rogers and MLSE and the buzz from the Grey Cup win they should at-least be able to gain 3000 to 5000 more season ticket holders this off season maybe more.
I don't know about that, just yet, they lost a lot more traction in the marketplace than many of us thought and it will take a while to rebuild. Having said that, we'll see about the power of the full resources of MLSE backing them and find out just how influential it is. They also seem to have acquired back much of the goodwill they've had from days past.

For some reason, after the Grey Cup and even before the MLSE purchase, the vibe about the Argos seemed different. Much of the media jabs and shots stopped almost as if they finally tired of kicking the Argos and have finally accepted them for what they are and not what they are not.

Most of the vibe at Sportsnet seems to have changed and even the anti Argo/CFL reporting dissipated greatly in the latter parts of last year over the past few years.

The clouds are clearing, the sun emerging, and things are finally looking much better. Even in his pessimism, the irony of McCown's comments were that everything seemed to be pretty good aside from the attendance (product was good, good management, on field and off, good ratings, and sponsorships should improve under MLSE. If they can get attendance up to 20K this year, look out, they'll be well on the way to recovery. I think they've figured out pricing as well.

There was a reason Rogers finally got in on the deal. The Argos were projected to be slightly profitable before the new TV contract, they have the potential to be much more profitable now. Rogers is probably looking to get a weekly game and some content so they'll have to negotiate with TSN.

Even though I am not really an Argo fan, I really like the look of these and would love to get one. The white one reminds me of the old expansion Pittsburgh Penguins

Last edited by elly63; Jan 24, 2018 at 2:25 AM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 12:06 AM

New Argos Pres considering tarping the upper deck at BMO for Argo games.

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/...rgos-situation

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
New Argos Pres considering tarping the upper deck at BMO for Argo games.
Let's post some of that article which some people don't seem to want us to see.

With Toronto FC booming, top boss Bill Manning looks to improve embattled Argos situation
Kurtis W. Larson Toronto Sun January 24, 2018

TORONTO — If sports juggernaut MLSE can’t right the Argos’ ship, nobody can.

President Bill Manning says the embattled CFL team will have equal footing under his guidance.

The Leafs are the Leafs. The Raptors have exploded. Toronto FC, he said, is shattering records.

“Our plan is to make the Argos just as important,” Manning, who also oversees MLS Cup champs Toronto FC, told the Toronto Sun during an evening sit-down at TFC’s BMO Training Ground. “The Argos are going to be a priority in a lot of ways.”

Manning’s vision for the Argos is to replicate what he has helped establish with the Reds.

“Can we get to the point where we’re selling 25,000 tickets a game and the team is competing for (Grey Cups) year in, year out? That’s my vision,” he said. “How long does it take? I don’t know.”

Manning referred to the Argos’ rebirth as a “long play” – a process that’s certain to take far more time than it took to build Toronto FC into one of the most successful franchises in Canada.

“We’ve gotten to a point where our demand has surpassed our supply – which is a good spot to be in,” Manning said of TFC, adding the club’s season ticket base will balloon to 24,500 this year.

“I say this humbly,” Manning continued, “TFC is hitting on all cylinders, across the board.”

So much so that TFC intends to keep the extra north-end seats it added for last year’s playoffs.

Additionally, Manning said he’s looking at options to expand BMO by as many as 5,000 seats.

“The atmosphere at BMO has just become so electric that it became a really hot ticket,” he said.

Manning explained that an 84% show rate – up from 72% in 2015 – prevented TFC from announcing what would have been considered sellouts in terms of tickets-sold from July through the end of last season.

“You’ll always see empty seats,” Manning said. “That doesn’t mean the seat wasn’t paid for.”

This year, he said, could be even better following TFC’s playoff run. Between season tickets and group sales, MLSE expects every TFC match to sell out within 60 days of every fixture.

“I don’t think we’re going to have many single-game sells at all,” Manning suggested.

The club’s 98.5% season-ticket renewal rate, he said, “is approaching Maple Leafs territory.”

“It’s real money,” he continued. “You look at the gates we’re generating. You can do the math.”

With an average ticket price of $45, TFC brings in nearly $1.2 million in single-game ticket sales.

Toronto FC revenue is up 30% since 2015. TV viewership is up almost 200%, Manning said.

“If you have a good product, everything goes up,” he added. “Same thing with the Argos. Every decision we make is about what we need to do to win, and leveraging that to build our business.”

After averaging 16,380 fans per game in 2016, the Argos lost 38% of their existing season-seat holders before last season. The storied franchise’s renewal rate this off-season improved to 82%, Manning said.

“The one thing I keep challenging myself with is that this is a market with six million people,” Manning said. “Can I find 25,000 people a game, eight times a year, who will come?”

Furthermore, can MLSE convince at least some of the 400,000 TV viewers to get off the couch?

“How do we convince those people to come out to the game?” Manning asked. “What I do know, though, is that the folks at 50 Bay St. are really good. I have a lot of faith in that group.”

The Argos have never had what TFC has: “Arguably one of the most successful sports organizations in the world … saying, ‘We think (the Argos) have legs.’ We’re going to give it the attention it needs and the resources it needs,” Manning explained.

While MLSE doesn’t intend to cross-sell the CFL and MLS, the league’s newest executive expounded on the benefits of bringing the Argos beneath the company’s umbrella.

“We have 100 people who at any given time can shift attention to the Argos or TFC,” Manning said, a benefit of being owned by a company with a database of 13 million prospective fans.

While Manning’s fairly involved in player personnel at TFC, he admits he’s going to leave most football decisions up to GM Jim Popp and coach Marc Trestman.

“I joked with Jim and said, ‘I’m not going to be telling you which wide receiver to sign. I’m going to lean on your expertise and how we can support you,’” Manning said.

Unlike with Toronto FC, Manning doesn’t need to help build a winner in the CFL.

Yet his challenge with the Argos is likely to prove far more difficult.

“How do you continue being a contender and build some buzz in the marketplace so people want to come out and spend some money and buy tickets?” Manning said. “That’s the challenge.”

A DIFFERENT CFL CONFIGURATION AT BMO FIELD?

BMO Field could have a distinctly different look for CFL games in 2018.

New top boss Bill Manning told the Toronto Sun this week he’s considering tarping off the upper deck at BMO to consolidate Toronto Argonauts crowds into the lower bowl.

“We’re going to do what soccer teams do (in football stadiums), when they tarp off the upper decks,” Manning said. “We’re going to do the same thing. It’s going to be a lower bowl. Let’s fill the lower bowl first and then worry about filling the upper deck.”

This after the Argos attracted fewer than 14,000 fans per game last season.

The lower bowl at BMO Field fits roughly 15,000 people.

“Can we add 2,500 or 5,000 paid people this year?” Manning asked. “If we can do that we start building each year.”

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 4:46 AM

On the one hand: getting everyone into the lower bowl is a good way to get a better atmosphere. Games are the best in a crowd.

On the other hand: I don't feel like tarping off half the stadium will do anything to help the Argos' image in the eyes of Torontonians. I think it might harm them, especially if they don't manage to attract new fans this upcoming year.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 1:33 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
On the one hand: getting everyone into the lower bowl is a good way to get a better atmosphere. Games are the best in a crowd.

On the other hand: I don't feel like tarping off half the stadium will do anything to help the Argos' image in the eyes of Torontonians. I think it might harm them, especially if they don't manage to attract new fans this upcoming year.
It seems like a bad idea to be discussing such a defeatist move at this stage.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 1:36 PM

Tarp off half the top tier, not the entire top.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:30 PM

Or tarp off the end sections of the upper deck. If they tarp off the whole thing that'll look ridiculous.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada