HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 9:52 PM

Are there any areas in the US or Canada where Hindu, Buddhist or Sikh neighborhoods are the most religious areas?

I wonder what Vancouver's would be like, or its metro area.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 11:47 PM
An Optimistic Realist

^^^ In the NYC metro, I heard of a significant Hindu/Indian community in Jersey City. It's the largest Indian community outside of India itself and London. Obviously, Hinduism and possibly Buddhism must abound there.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 12:04 AM

I can remember an epic baseball scene in "one fly over cuckoo's nest", that's easily my all-time favorite movie.

Don't forget. Nurse Ratched is the devil. I would fuck and torture her to death like a sadist, much worse than cool McMurphy ever did.

And the tall Indian Chief who can play basketball is a pure silent witness and an angel!
Watch that movie over and over as I did since I was 10, you'll get it.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Our only boss is the sun. Without the sun, we all die. The sun controls our lives. Talk about a controlling boss.

On-top of that, the boss has the nerve to retire one day, and the sun's retirement will kill us all. He's going to retire in a spectacular boom. What a retirement party it will be in several billion years for the workaholic boss we call the sun.
The ancient ones who believed in a Sun God had it right after all.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 12:12 AM

Pew study on Asian Americans and religion:

http://www.pewforum.org/2012/07/19/a...iths-overview/

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
In NYC, any hard-core Orthodox Jewish neighborhood would probably be "most religious". South Williamsburg, Borough Park, Midwood or Crown Heights (all Brooklyn) would be obvious examples (though different groups occupy these areas).

"Least religious" would probably be gentrified areas, especially those more resembling the Seattle/SF demographic rather than the traditional NY demographc (which, like the whole Northeast Corridor, tends to be at least nominally "religious"). Places where the real "religion" is outdoorsy activities and the like. Park Slope would be a good example.
Yeah, I would think Brownstone Brooklyn and maybe the Tribeca/Soho zone of lower Manhattan.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Are there any areas in the US or Canada where Hindu, Buddhist or Sikh neighborhoods are the most religious areas?

I wonder what Vancouver's would be like, or its metro area.
I wonder if the most religious part of Metro Vancouver might be somewhere in a Sikh neighborhood. Vancouver stands out in North America as being probably the only place where Sikhism is the most common non-Christian religion.

http://vancouversun.com/news/staff-b...-patterns-maps

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Pew study on Asian Americans and religion:

http://www.pewforum.org/2012/07/19/a...iths-overview/
More Christian than I'd expected. I think on average, Asian Americans are more likely to be Christian than Asian Canadians.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 12:47 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
^^^ In the NYC metro, I heard of a significant Hindu/Indian community in Jersey City. It's the largest Indian community outside of India itself and London. Obviously, Hinduism and possibly Buddhism must abound there.
It's very unlikely that it's the largest Indian community outside of London and India. A quick Google search shows 27,111 Indian Americans in Jersey City in 2010. Brampton, Ontario had 261,705 Indo Canadians in 2016; a good half of which would be Indian-Canadian. Surrey, BC had 142,445 Indo Canadians in 2016. Likewise at least half would be Indian-Canadian.

Maybe Jersey City has a lot for a place in the USA?

Quote:
Vancouver stands out in North America as being probably the only place where Sikhism is the most common non-Christian religion.

Sikhism is #2 after Christianity in Brampton; 19% of the population.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It's very unlikely that it's the largest Indian community outside of London and India. A quick Google search shows 27,111 Indian Americans in Jersey City in 2010. Brampton, Ontario had 261,705 Indo Canadians in 2016; a good half of which would be Indian-Canadian. Surrey, BC had 142,445 Indo Canadians in 2016. Likewise at least half would be Indian-Canadian.

Only half of Indo Canadians in Brampton and Surrey are Indian Canadian?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
I wonder if the most religious part of Metro Vancouver might be somewhere in a Sikh neighborhood. Vancouver stands out in North America as being probably the only place where Sikhism is the most common non-Christian religion.

Almost certainly in Van's case (though few live in the city proper).

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 12:56 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
It's a very conservative estimation on my part but I do know that the numbers in Brampton/Surrey are not a reflection of the relative populations of nationalities in the Indian subcontinent. Sri Lankan is over represented, for instance.

There were 1,924,635 Indo-Canadians (maybe I should say South Asian Canadian) in 2016 and 1,374,710 of them were Indian Canadian. So it's about 70% of the total so my 50% estimation is surely low for Brampton and Surrey. I said 'a good half' as the absolute lower limit of what it would be.

South Asian would include people from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, and Nepal.

Last edited by isaidso; Jan 7, 2018 at 1:11 AM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Is Indo-Canadian used interchangeably with Indian-Canadian?

Or is one used for people of Indian descent specifically directly from India?
Sometimes you hear terms like Indo-Guyanese, for instance, for people of Indian descent from Guyana who've been there many generations.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 1:00 AM

Quote:

Maybe he/she was referring to the New Jersey-New York metro as a whole. I think if you go by the entire NYC's metro area, it probably is the largest concentration of people of Indian descent in a metro area in the western world in raw numbers, after Greater London (though Greater Toronto is catching up).

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 1:01 AM

Quote:
It's a very conservative estimation on my part but I do know that the numbers in Brampton/Surrey are not a reflection of the relative populations of nationalities in the Indian subcontinent. Sri Lankan is over represented, for instance.
No Brampton and Surrey are mostly Punjabi Sikhs. Sri Lankans are mostly in the eastern GTA and few Sri Lankans live in BC.

I didn't realize the term "Indo Canadian" included other South Asian nationalities.

Last edited by Docere; Jan 7, 2018 at 1:14 AM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 1:12 AM

There used to be, more commonly used in past decades, a term "East Indian" that seemed to include many people with origins in the subcontinent.

Maybe "South Asian" became the replacement for "East Indian"?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Sri Lankans live in BC.
I didn't realize there was a large Sri Lankan population in BC. I thought the Toronto population far outnumbered any Sri Lankan community elsewhere in Canada.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 1:15 AM

See corrected post.

I'm pretty sure the majority of all Sri Lankans in North America are in the GTA.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 1:18 AM

Quote:
See corrected post.

I'm pretty sure the majority of all Sri Lankans in North America are in the GTA.
The US didn't take any refugees from the Sri Lankan civil war?

According to this, the socio-economic demographics of Sri Lankan Americans probably were very different from the war refugees the GTA received.

"Sri Lankan Americans are generally educated and affluent. With a median income of $74,000, Sri Lankan Americans are the third most successful Asian American group (tied with Japanese Americans) in regards to income."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Lankan_Americans

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Maybe he/she was referring to the New Jersey-New York metro as a whole. I think if you go by the entire NYC's metro area, it probably is the largest concentration of people of Indian descent in a metro area in the western world in raw numbers, after Greater London (though Greater Toronto is catching up).
Jersey City does not have a particularly large Indian population, though it probably has the largest/most vibrant urban Little India in North America. It's more a restaurant/shopping nexus for Indians than a residence (kinda like Jackson Heights, Queens).

Indians in the NYC metro are concentrated in Central NJ, especially (particularly the more suburban Little India around Oak Tree Road in Edison) and in Eastern Queens/Western Nassau LI. The big commercial centers would be Jersey City, Jackson Heights, Edison and Hicksville.

And, yeah, I would imagine London has the largest Indian population in the Western world, and NYC second. Toronto seems like a good bet for third (or Bay Area?). Chicago, LA, Dallas and Vancouver would also have sizable populations.

I think it's conceivable NYC has the largest population in the West from the Indian subcontinent, though. NYC has sizable populations from Pakistan, Bangledesh and Nepal, and Bangledeshis are the fastest growing demographic in NYC proper. These communities, alongside Sri Lankans, are all concentrated in the Outer Boroughs, and have their own communities, separate from Indian communities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions