HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
I wonder if residential suburbia will find a way to extend north of Saskatchewan onto Centreport lands... particularly the Crestview area, with Buchanan and Cavalier extensions. What do you guys think?
Isn't that exactly what we're talking about?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 4:30 PM

would the Feds let this happen? seeing how they payed for pretty much all of the roadwork, which was to sevice industry. Not residential.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDBO View Post
would the Feds let this happen? seeing how they payed for pretty much all of the roadwork, which was to sevice industry. Not residential.
I would assume that the connections to CCW would be limited. Possibly (hopefully) just the existing Sturgeon connection.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 5:18 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDBO View Post
I don't think the feds actually have any say on the matter as they don't do zoning. I don't know...I'm just guessing.

Having said that though , I don't think it could be done anyway since the area is designated as some sort of trade zone. I mean , how would that work and , more importantly , why would the city squander such an opportunity on housing they could put pretty much anywhere ? It just doesn't make any sense.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 5:36 PM

Reg: FTZ's such as the desigantion Centreport has been given for clarification:
~~~~~~~~~~
Duty deferral – duties are waived up front or rebated later.
Sales tax relief – exemption from federal and provincial sales taxes.
Customs bonded warehouse – sales tax and duty-free storage/distribution facilities

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 6:26 PM

I would assume zero connections will be made to CCW at all. Just have traffic off Saskatchewan with maybe a connection to the Sturgeon/Summit access. That access one day will be an expressway as part of the Silver Ave corridor. So I wouldn't want to turn that into a local access road..

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 7:53 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Wow, imagine not only living out in St. James but literally behind the airport. If that's not out of the way I don't know what is.
The industrial area around the airport is the second largest centre of employment in Winnipeg, next to downtown, and there is no new housing anywhere close. I think these lots will be in high demand.

"Out of the way" is a relative. If one lives, works and shops in the same area it's not out of the way.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
The industrial area around the airport is the second largest centre of employment in Winnipeg, next to downtown, and there is no new housing anywhere close. I think these lots will be in high demand.

"Out of the way" is a relative. If one lives, works and shops in the same area it's not out of the way.
precisely

plus if these lots end up selling (thus showing there is demand for people willing to live in the area) is it such a bad thing?

there are other places in the city people can choose to live in if they desire so

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 1:54 AM
Transit Nerd

rypinion, I didnt even see page 53 of this thread yet.

Oh wow. So they ARE going ahead with this...

This is gonna be interesting, to say the least haha. Plus the schools will fill up again!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 5:34 PM

By: Andrea Geary
Posted: 12/16/2013

The contract is now being drawn up. "It’s just a matter of signing it," Smee said.

Headingley mayor Wilf Taillieu said he expects construction to start in the spring, partially thanks to planning work — which included a new plant — done as part of a bid to have a Facebook data centre located in the western part of the municipality. << ?? A little late

"That’s why everything’s in place," he said.

Taillieu said the total project cost, which may include laying pipe from the new plant as far as the RMs of Rockwood and West St. Paul, is $44 million, with the plant itself costing $26 million.

The Cartier water co-op board agreed that the co-op will pay up to $3 million of the plant’s cost. The current plant on the Assiniboine River near St. Eustache provides service to approximately 10,000 people within the RMs of Portage la Prairie, Cartier, St. Francois Xavier, Headingley, Rosser and Rockwood.

Source:

Just sign it and get it done.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 6:29 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 6:48 PM

Executive policy committee endorsed a planning department proposal to redesignate 260 acres of land within the CentrePort area for housing.

Potentially 200 new homes, 8,000 possible residence at a future date..

But...

Mayor Sam Katz said that while the land is west of Richardson International Airport and not under a flight path, future residents need to be aware that airport noise will be a part of their daily lives if they move there.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Mayor Sam Katz said that while the land is west of Richardson International Airport and not under a flight path, future residents need to be aware that airport noise will be a part of their daily lives if they move there.
Airport noise ain't what it used to be. I grew up in Tyndall Park and back in the 80s, the roar of takeoffs could be very loud. Technology has come a long way because these days, you barely notice the sound of planes unless you're outside in quiet place.

The last of the noisy birds are used mostly in late-night cargo service, and I don't imagine that they have many years of service left.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 7:57 PM

I used to love the sound of the CF 18 taking off over my residence in St James. It made me feel alive and would cure a hangover instantly.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1064

It's loud, newer aircraft or not. Commercial flights or Military. Yes tecnology has brought the level of noise down no doubt, but it is what it is.

But besides the obvious noise your for the proposed developement in the area.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 11:34 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Airport noise ain't what it used to be. I grew up in Tyndall Park and back in the 80s, the roar of takeoffs could be very loud. Technology has come a long way because these days, you barely notice the sound of planes unless you're outside in quiet place.

The last of the noisy birds are used mostly in late-night cargo service, and I don't imagine that they have many years of service left.
Very true. It all comes down to aircraft engine technology. If you compare a now defunct DC-9 or 727 aircraft, they had the older turbojet engines, which were very loud. When the old terminal was still around, from the observation lounge above the 2nd floor, I could hear the old 727s or DC-9 aircraft taking off, and they were so loud, I could hear them through the window. Then when I see a 767 take off, the noise level was a lot quieter.

The newer jets like an A320, or a 767, 777, or even the E90 jets have turbofan engines that were designed to reduce noise.

I seriously hope that if anyone moves there, they acknowledge that the airport is a stone throws away, and that any noise coming from there is a fact of life in the area.

Besides, whenever a CF-18 takes off, just cheer for the Jets.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 11:45 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
It all comes down to aircraft engine technology. If you compare a now defunct DC-9 or 727 aircraft, they had the older turbojet engines, which were very loud.
Those aircraft both had turbofan engines but an older style with a lower bypass ratio than later aircraft. Cargo 727s still operating today have all been hushkitted. FedEx invented and patented the modification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
I used to love the sound of the CF 18 taking off over my residence in St James.

Imagine an entire squadron of them lighting up at the same time on a cool misty morning in the midst of the Black Forest.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 5:59 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Those aircraft both had turbofan engines but an older style with a lower bypass ratio than later aircraft. Cargo 727s still operating today have all been hushkitted. FedEx invented and patented the modification.

Imagine an entire squadron of them lighting up at the same time on a cool misty morning in the midst of the Black Forest.
I can't argue with that. You know the biz better than I do.

I can imagine the entire squadron, buzzing the tower now...

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 3:55 PM

This morning on CBC, the Premier said that a major infrastructure announcement will be made today. He alluded to CentrePort... could it be the Headingley by-pass which will feed into CCW?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 5:09 PM

Could be. There is also going to be a master site layout project starting up. Which has really already begun, but starting to nail down exactly what's going where.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 5:54 PM

Or not. Just a bunch of miscellaneous paving, structure rehabs, etc.

http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.htm...ve=&item=20371

A not a mention of the PTH 16/PTH 1 interchange. Its funny they use words like "fully upgrade" and " unprecedented access". When really there will be no change to what's there now. A bit of paving and "intersection improvements"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan