HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 12:19 PM

Does anyone know what they're doing to JFK Blvd near 30th street station?

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 1:33 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Does anyone know what they're doing to JFK Blvd near 30th street station?
If you mean across the bridge toward Center City, they're reconstructing all of the bridges that cross the numbered streets, currently just doing the westbound side.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 1:39 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Not a great pic but work has finally begun on the corn exchange at 3rd and Arch. News from at least a year ago was it was becoming headquarters for a tech company, i forget the name.

From PlanPhilly last year:
Office conversion of Corn Exchange / Real World house in Old City edging forward | PlanPhilly.com
Quote:
To a certain generation, the former bank at the corner of Arch and North 3rd streets is MTV’s Real World house. More recently it was an event space, but now plans are well underway to transform it into the new home for the cloud hosting provider Linode, which purchased the property last year.

For Linode founder Christopher Aker, the move into an historic building in Old City is no accident. Linode is planting its physical flag on N3RD Street very deliberately, and betting big as it joins Philly's growing tech community.

Linode’s planned move from the shore town of Galloway, New Jersey into Philadelphia is as much about accommodating growth as it is about being attractive to a talented workforce, said Aker. But he’s quick to point out that the move into Old City is about more than just growing the business. “Life is too short. We wanted this to be something that improved the quality of our lives and the experiences that we have. What better way to do that than be in a really cool old building.”

[snip]

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 2:39 PM

I was thinking a little bit about the Thomas Jefferson-PhilaU merger, and I was thinking about how great it might be if some of our smaller universities in the city would all merge into one, city-wide university. Specifically, Thomas Jefferson-PhilaU, the University of the Arts, and the University of the Sciences. I would think that together they could offer a truly comprehensive program and benefit greatly from operational efficiencies, expanding offerings, and more widespread recognition. I looked a little into each's offerings, and it doesn't seem to me like there is a ton of overlap. Other universities (e.g. King's College London) have been successful in having several different specialized campuses throughout a city and running shuttles between them (though they are already relatively accessibly to each other via SEPTA). They'd able to market themselves are a "whole city" university, and that is attractive to a lot of people.

I can think of some great synergies that could exist between these schools, and each brings something unique. Thomas Jefferson's medical school, and PhilaU's textiles programs can collaborate in integrating health devices into clothing. USciences pharmacology, life sciences, and healthcare management programs could work well with Jefferson's medical school as well. You've got PhilaU adding a business school and an architecture school that could probably benefit from the design programs at UArts. UArts is the cherry on top to offer liberal arts programs to make a truly comprehensive University where students can explore their creativity and passions. Where there is overlap that causes certain programs to be eliminated at a specific location, the University could use that extra space for new programs, like computer and materials science at USciences' campus, or city planning at PhilaU, for example. I would think such a university would add greatly to the "Eds and Meds" thing we've got going for us, and could compete more on the level of Temple and Drexel.

Thoughts? Can anybody tell me why this wouldn't work or wouldn't be a great idea?

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; May 26, 2017 at 3:32 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 10:47 PM
Me?!?

NPHS bankruptcy jeopardizes Project HOME development
Updated: MAY 26, 2017 — 3:27 PM EDT
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20170526.html

North Philadelphia Health System’s bankruptcy has put a nearly $13 million LGBTQ-friendly affordable housing project planned by Project HOME near Girard Medical Center in jeopardy, Project HOME officials said.

Project HOME, a nonprofit led by Sister Mary Scullion that has developed 714 units of housing for people who have been homeless or are at risk of homelessness, had agreements to buy five pieces of land from NPHS before the bankruptcy filing on Dec. 31. The bankruptcy froze those deals. As the clock ticks, Project Home is in danger of losing $11 million in construction financing.

To go through with the sales for $1.75 million or even to reject the agreements, NPHS needs permission from U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Magdeline D. Coleman. NPHS wants to do neither. It wants to wait, arguing in a court filing last week that it “should be afforded maximum flexibility to deal with its financial affairs in this large and complex Chapter 11 proceeding.”

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 4:34 AM

Lincoln Square - Broad and Washington - Luxury apartments/retail - 9 floors

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 4:37 AM

218 Arch - luxury apartments/retail - 10 floors

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 4:40 AM

Hanover North Broad - Broad and Callowhill - luxury apartments/retail - two 6 floor buildings

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 4:59 AM

Penn Perelman Center for Political Science and Economics - 36th and Sansom - 7 floors

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 5:24 AM

Aramark HQ - 2400 Market - office/retail - 10 floors

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 5:43 AM

2110 Walnut - condos/retail - 9 floors

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 5:44 AM

Walnut Estates - 22nd and Walnut - condos/retail - 6 floors

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 3:44 PM

From Penn's Instagram account--the view from Sansom Row of the new Perelman Center for Political Science and Economics:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUksbhSl...ken-by=uofpenn

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 6:39 PM

^^^

Is that Gene Kelly?

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
^^^

Is that Gene Kelly?
That guy is neither singing NOR dancing in the rain.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 8:08 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Roman Catholic breaks ground on first phase of major expansion

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...road-vine.html

Does anybody have info on this? Article is behind paywall.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 11:38 PM

I have been thinking about this question a lot lately, and I was wondering if anyone else feels the same. Does anyone believe that Nicetown-Tioga could be Philly's next hot neighborhood? Maybe not during this cycle, but possibly the next? For a few reasons, I certainly do.

1.) Nicetown-Tioga is transit-rich. With Wayne Junction, the Hunting Park and Erie (which boasts local, express, and Ridge-Spur service) stops on the BSL, and the 24/7 Route 23 (among other Night Owl routes), the neighborhood is well-connected to the city and surrounding suburbs. An express ride on the BSL is similar to a ride from East Kensington to Center City, time-wise.

2.) A brief spurt of revitalization already occurred in the mid-2000s. Before the Great Recession of 2008, some projects were undertaken near Wayne Junction. Now that the Beury Building on Broad and Erie will be rehabbed, another corner of the neighborhood will be revitalized.

3.) The real estate in that submarket seems underpriced. This even rings true for properties close to transit.

4.) Many of the homes in that neighborhood are beautiful, sturdily-built brick rowhomes. The numbered streets follow the pattern of having three-story rowhomes as typically seen in North Philly.

5.) It is accessible to all colleges and universities in the city, and almost all in the PA suburbs.

I would love to hear some opinions on this! I will be graduating from college next May, and I am taking the necessary steps to get into real estate development. With a lot of transactions occurring in the neighborhoods that investors are confident will be "next" (Norris Square, Belmont, deeper areas of Kensington, etc.), I am looking for neighborhoods that have markets that lack the high barriers of entry that more established markets have.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 12:08 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
That guy is neither singing NOR dancing in the rain.
Gene Kelly, walking in the rain, with a backpack and a ladies umbrella.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I have been thinking about this question a lot lately, and I was wondering if anyone else feels the same. Does anyone believe that Nicetown-Tioga could be Philly's next hot neighborhood? Maybe not during this cycle, but possibly the next? For a few reasons, I certainly do.

1.) Nicetown-Tioga is transit-rich. With Wayne Junction, the Hunting Park and Erie (which boasts local, express, and Ridge-Spur service) stops on the BSL, and the 24/7 Route 23 (among other Night Owl routes), the neighborhood is well-connected to the city and surrounding suburbs. An express ride on the BSL is similar to a ride from East Kensington to Center City, time-wise.

2.) A brief spurt of revitalization already occurred in the mid-2000s. Before the Great Recession of 2008, some projects were undertaken near Wayne Junction. Now that the Beury Building on Broad and Erie will be rehabbed, another corner of the neighborhood will be revitalized.

3.) The real estate in that submarket seems underpriced. This even rings true for properties close to transit.

4.) Many of the homes in that neighborhood are beautiful, sturdily-built brick rowhomes. The numbered streets follow the pattern of having three-story rowhomes as typically seen in North Philly.

5.) It is accessible to all colleges and universities in the city, and almost all in the PA suburbs.

I would love to hear some opinions on this! I will be graduating from college next May, and I am taking the necessary steps to get into real estate development. With a lot of transactions occurring in the neighborhoods that investors are confident will be "next" (Norris Square, Belmont, deeper areas of Kensington, etc.), I am looking for neighborhoods that have markets that lack the high barriers of entry that more established markets have.
I think eventually. Not yet. I think neighborhoods adjacent to Cedar Park and other West Philly and South Philly neighborhoods will first. In North Philly, I see the cheaper parts of Brewerytown (they still exist) and other more Southern neighborhoods gentrifying before anything in the Badlands or that far north. If the open air drug markets in parts of the Badlands relocate, I think we'll start to see a lot more traction in North Philly.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post

Does anybody have info on this? Article is behind paywall.
Quote:
In contrast to the Philadelphia Archdiocese shuttering or consolidating schools, Roman Catholic High School is moving forward with a $25 million expansion to its Center City campus.

The school is embarking on a four-phase initiative that will begin with the construction of the Howard Center for the Arts at 1212 Wood St., which will total 40,000 square feet.

he facility, which will have a small black box theater, is named after Barry and Elayne Howard. Barry Howard has served on the school's board fore more than 25 years. The project is expected to be completed by next spring.

Future phases of the expansion will entail constructing a science, technology, engineering and math, or STEM, building, a new field house, and re-purposing an existing gym so that it has an auditorium, chapel and space for several administrative functions.

Roman Catholic, established in 1890, is located at Broad and Vine streets in Philadelphia. It has an enrollment of 912 students.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development