HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:13 PM
Registered Drug User

I would have thought the obvious answer was Hamilton, but after being on this forum I think I'm realizing that its national profile isn't what I thought it was. Hamilton is the definitive answer just for Ontario, then.

As for nationally, there isn't one. We don't have a "Cleveland." You might argue that Winnipeg comes closest, but it isn't really known for anything other than the bone-rattling cold. Anyone who knows anything more about Winnipeg is generally going to be on the Prairies.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:13 PM
Fake News

I think Laval is actually the Elvis Gratton of Canada.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:14 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
What the heck is that?
The overlord of Laval. Les Residences Soleil seniors retirement centre. The one, the only Clockzilla!

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com/

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:17 PM

Is there not a huge penthouse underneath that clock?

Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
The overlord of Laval. Les Residences Soleil seniors retirement centre. The one, the only Clockzilla!

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com/
*blank stare*

Well, I guess I have an image of Laval now. Um, thanks?

Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I would have thought the obvious answer was Hamilton, but after being on this forum I think I'm realizing that its national profile isn't what I thought it was. Hamilton is the definitive answer just for Ontario, then.

As for nationally, there isn't one. We don't have a "Cleveland." You might argue that Winnipeg comes closest, but it isn't really known for anything other than the bone-rattling cold. Anyone who knows anything more about Winnipeg is generally going to be on the Prairies.
I've never been to Winnipeg and only know of it from all the eye rolling descriptions of those who have. My concept is limited to cliches about mosquitoes, freezing winters and problems of racism. Oh, and plenty of boring mixed in. These are not my personal opinions. I'd actually like to visit it one day.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Laval is an SSP Canada only thing.

Most people don't have any image of Laval and if they're heard of it at all, mix it up with the university in Quebec City.

And generally can't accurately pinpoint either the city or the university.

Is Laval University in Laval near Montreal?

Is the city of Laval located next to Quebec City and home to the university?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Most people don't have any image of Laval and if they're heard of it at all, mix it up with the university in Quebec City.
This is me pre-SSP.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:21 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Is there not a huge penthouse underneath that clock?
I think that's where they store the bodies.

That or it's Eddy Savoie's laboratory where he dreams up new Frankenstein monsters.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:24 PM

Definitely Winnipeg. The name itself is sort of a punchline evoking smallness, remoteness, etc. I like Winnipeg, but no doubt it carries those connotations.

And I'd also nominate Saint John, on a regional level. There are similarly sized or larger cities (Sarnia or Fort Mac or something) that might fit the bill, but Saint John is more historically and regionally important, in a somewhat different urban class. I don't think Moncton qualifies, since it's in much better shape economically than Saint John, which suffers a sort of perennial loser/rust-belt reputation. (Again I like Saint John, for its architecture, its civic personality, and the urbanity it packs into a tiny place.)

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
This is me pre-SSP.
Even most people familiar with Laval would mostly think of sprawl, bungalows, freeways, and weak zoning (anything anywhere; 26-story tower right next to a bungalow, etc.)

The obsession with that clocktower is very SSP-specific.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:31 PM
Fake News

To Americans I think Regina is our Rodney Dangerfield.

Then of course there's Dildo Nfld. Though I think that isn't on anyone outside of Canada's radar.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:36 PM

Agreed on Winnipeg.

But I think it's fair to say that Winnipeg is getting more and more respect all the time. Which is well-deserved.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:43 PM

Laval, Surrey and Mississauga don't count because they're not real cities.

Even the people who live in these municipalities would agree.

I mean, if I met somebody at a party here in Vancouver and he told me that he was "from Laval" without dropping the word "Montreal" somewhere in that sentence, I'd probably ask him if he was on SSP.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:46 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

tenor

Which city just "can't get no respect"?

For me, among large Canadian cities, just based on what I have heard over the years, the answer would be Winnipeg (even though I think it is quite an awesome place, and undeserving of its lack of respect). Winterpeg, Waterpeg, Mosquito jokes, etc.

Among smaller Canadian cities, I'd nominate Saint John, New Brunswick. In general, NB doesn't seem to get very much respect, and Saint John seems to lack the strong economy and growing population of Moncton and Fredericton. Personally, Saint John is my favorite of the three big NB cities, because of its Victorian treasures in Uptown.

Thunder Bay, Sudbury, Red Deer, and Regina may also be contenders. For Quebec, I'd say Drummondville (perhaps b/c the Anglo press often mocked that place as being unsophisticated). For BC, undoubtedly Prince George.

Others?
I agree with Winnipeg and Saint John as well.

Re: Red Deer (and Lethbridge), both have recently reached about 100,000k, and kind of as a joke I took a weekend getaway to each the past couple of years. I had a lot of fun. They're still small, but they seem to have reached a tipping point where they have at least one of any sort of thing you might find in a larger city.

Had a great time in Lethbridge hitting an arts centre, southern Alberta art gallery, gay cabaret, craft beer joint in a historic telegraph building, cocktail lounge, and 'hip' live music venue, all within a 3 block area.

Similarly with Red Deer, hit a couple of great coffee shops, a BBQ joint, cocktail bar, and a hidden alley Tiki room, this time mostly within a single block.

So big enough that they have the fun stuff I might check out in Calgary, but small enough that if one of those closes, say if the BBQ place closes, you then probably no longer have BBQ restaurant food available in Red Deer, so it's complete, but tenuous.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:48 PM
Montérégien

Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Definitely Winnipeg. The name itself is sort of a punchline evoking smallness, remoteness, etc. I like Winnipeg, but no doubt it carries those connotations.

And I'd also nominate Saint John, on a regional level. There are similarly sized or larger cities (Sarnia or Fort Mac or something) that might fit the bill, but Saint John is more historically and regionally important, in a somewhat different urban class. I don't think Moncton qualifies, since it's in much better shape economically than Saint John, which suffers a sort of perennial loser/rust-belt reputation. (Again I like Saint John, for its architecture, its civic personality, and the urbanity it packs into a tiny place.)
Plus its quasi-homonym St. John's gets all the attention in Atlantic Canada.

My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I've never been to Winnipeg and only know of it from all the eye rolling descriptions of those who have. My concept is limited to cliches about mosquitoes, freezing winters and problems of racism. Oh, and plenty of boring mixed in. These are not my personal opinions. I'd actually like to visit it one day.
I spent 4 awesome days there 2 years ago.

That said, I accidentally showed up a) after mosquito spraying b) during FringeFest. So the only mosquitoes I saw all trip were two by the baggage carousel in the airport.

Went on a private 2 hr walking tour from the Exchange District business assoc, took a historic boat tour of the river, hit lots of cool eateries, pubs, saw a bunch of shows etc.

If anyone has ever been to the Calgary Stampede, the WPG FringeFest has the same all-over-the-city buzz, just with arts people rather than fake cowboys.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:50 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Plus its quasi-homonym St. John's gets all the attention in Atlantic Canada.
http://themanatee.net/saint-john-nb-...d-st-johns-nl/

But hey, we do help their tourism industry:

Women who flew to wrong 'Saint John' take on Fundy Footpath

Quote:
Three Ontario women who managed to — separately — book plane tickets to the wrong Atlantic Canadian city made the most of their blunder, tackling and finishing a challenging hiking trail in New Brunswick considered one of the toughest in the country.

Lauren Hall, Courtney Eamer and Tricia McGee of Ottawa wanted to go to St. John's to hike the demanding Long Range Traverse in Gros Morne National Park, on the west coast of Newfoundland.

But when they lined up to board their plane after a layover in Montreal last weekend, their hearts sank.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...path-1.4229619

To be fair, Saint John isn't much farther from Gros Mourne than St. John's.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:51 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm not going to argue with everyone saying Winnipeg. I find that the people who respect it least tend to be the people who have either never been or have barely been (e.g. visited for 2 days back in 1989 or whatever). When I run into someone from Toronto or Vancouver while I'm abroad, I pretty well expect some feeble joke about snow or mosquitoes to come out of their mouths.
My experience has been slightly different, but maybe it has some of the same characteristics. Most people I talk to who ask "why are you going there!" then say they used to live in Winnipeg.

Then it turns out they actually either lived in some small town outside of the city, or in the far suburban communities. I think the crime issues downtown, although significantly cleaned up, left their mark on people who normally would never go downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada