HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It's literally just an empty lot with a fence around it and one piece of equipment parked on it.
Ah, I thought work had begun

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Guilty as charged. As a Winnipeg sports fan I've sat in the stands through enough mediocre hockey and football to not have to feel guilty about taking a pass if one of the teams looks like it's headed into a season that's over before it starts.
I agree. Folks sometimes forget professional sports is just an entertainment medium, like plays or concerts. Unlike other forms of entertainment, however, professional sport's audience is expected to enthusiastically and permanently support it, no matter what the quality of product is offered. It's kind of like being expected to buy season tickets for the Symphony if half it's members didn't know how to play their instruments.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 3:25 PM

Fortune / MacDonald's Block looks fantastic.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Freep says that an official announcement is coming on Monday about the move of the WHL's Kootenay Ice to Winnipeg. Apparently the plan involves construction of a 4,500 to 6,000 seat arena just outside city limits off McGillivray... in the meantime the team will play at the Wayne Fleming Arena on the U of M campus.
After 2 pm and still no word. Maybe there won't be an announcement today after all?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 8:34 PM

Quote:
After 2 pm and still no word. Maybe there won't be an announcement today after all?
Basically, over the weekend the WHL and the owners refuted an announcement was coming Monday.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...502194191.html

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 8:38 PM

Kelly Moore said last week no announcement would be coming, contradicting the FreeP article. Looks like he was correct.

It also sounds like the W regularly changes their minds. Maybe they heard from the press and got cold feet.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Kelly Moore said last week no announcement would be coming, contradicting the FreeP article. Looks like he was correct.

It also sounds like the W regularly changes their minds. Maybe they heard from the press and got cold feet.
Really don't get how Winnipeg could support NHL, AHL and WHL, the WHL was in tough with Jets 1.0, different times now with even more competition for entertainment dollars!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 9:21 PM

Over the weekend, I heard a number of people speculating that the Moose could potentially move into the new arena. I don't know where that originated (did some radio hosts mention it?), but it seems unlikely to me that TN would pay rent to these guys when they already have an arena sitting there.

I mean yeah, the Moose do take up some dates that could otherwise be used for concerts, but the concert business is not what it used to be in Canada in part, I'm sure, due to the low Canadian dollar. And even then TN is still making money on Moose games, just maybe not as much as they might on a big big 15,000-drawing act. But how often do those happen anyway? These days it seems that MTS Centre acts are as likely to be a 3,000 drawing Aqua or Three Days Grace as they are the top drawing, heavy hitter acts like Metallica or Paul McCartney.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 9:29 PM

I'm not really sure how any of this will work. But there's smart, successful business people spearheading the efforts. So they must see value in it. They're only there to make money. That's it. They're not doing it for goodwill.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 3:38 AM
surely you agree with me

Good article in the sun about it. I can’t believe I just wrote that. Talked about the challenge of ramping up a marketing and promotions team to go head to head with true north.

I know a lot of people who say they would rather watch junior than the moose. I’m not sure they realize how much lower quality the WHL is than the AHL, but it seems to have more credibility to a true hockey guy. Like the AHL is old guys riding out the string and junior is always like the world juniors.

I just don’t see how there are 4,000 more people willing to support another team night in and night out, who are not already going to the moose as their second team. Trying to beat true north at its own game seems like an uphill battle. They are so tapped into community clubs and local teams.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 3:39 AM
surely you agree with me

Anyways. Back to construction. I noticed a fence is up and the house are demolished for that nice mixed use building on Maryland across from food fare in Wolseley

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 7:52 AM

This Wawanesa talk is intriguing! I wouldn't mind if they did something like completely lease-out 201 Portage, buy the naming rights and really boost their corporate profile by a huge margin as a spin-off result....

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler19944 View Post
Is there a lot of tenants coming to 10 North Main that are confirmed yet?
I take it the reference in the True North Square thread to leasing at 10 North Main does not have to do with the restaurant of that name in Minot, ND...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 4:02 AM

Wait.... how is 10 Main in the north end when the number count up as you go north?? Searching 10 Main brings up some sort of transit garage in the north end.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 4:45 AM

I assumed the post was made in the wrong thread by accident

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 5:21 AM

Where is your sense of speculation/wishful thinking?

We know that a mystery project is having leasing issues. A person from Regina asks about leasing at something called "10 North Main" in a Winnipeg thread where there has been much discussion of the health of 201 Portage. Most would consider Main south of Portage to be "South Main". Some would therefore consider Main north of Portage to be "North Main" (OK, not me). West side of Main would be the even numbered side. Wouldn't you know it but the first block north of Portage on the west side is mostly if not entirely owned by a company from Regina. Wouldn't "10 North Main" be a good code name for the surface lot where the McIntyre Block used to be? Who is with me on this one?

(Or it was just in the wrong thread)

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 9:44 PM

Looks like the new Manitoba TIF is going to focus on brown field development. Details to follow
Cbc

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 12:13 AM

Hopefully it's infill brownfield that focuses on high-density REAL mixed-use areas. Not like the bullshit Grant Park Pavilions "live work play" area that is still just a Walmart and Scotiabank. We're not really struggling to fill empty land with bix-box developments here.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 1:01 AM

Im an infill developer and I have to say I am absolutely sick of the city councilors, the NIMBY residents, and the zoning/permit officers in Winnipeg. I build mostly residential infills and the amount of grief I've received this past year is ridiculous and almost makes me want to get out of the infill business and purchase 50 building lots in a suburb. It is absolutely crazy that a few residents and a councilor can reject proposals that the city planning department is in support of. This year alone I've been shut down in appeal hearings(approved at the original board of adjustment hearings), on 4 different projects because of a stupid councilor and NIMBY residents.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 2:18 AM

River Heights/John Orlikow?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan