HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 1:55 AM

it's like a big wall now. i dont know why they have to align it side by side and why they all have to be the same size. and i still dont understand why the green glass tower is completely different from the white ones. so weird.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2010, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razqal View Post
it's like a big wall now. i dont know why they have to align it side by side and why they all have to be the same size. and i still dont understand why the green glass tower is completely different from the white ones. so weird.
Because the site is very thin rectangle.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 1:20 AM

that's no excuse. i could design a million different interesting shaped buildings to fit a thin rectangular-shaped plot of land. and i'm not even an architect. although i wanted to study it.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 4:49 AM

Quote:
that's no excuse. i could design a million different interesting shaped buildings to fit a thin rectangular-shaped plot of land. and i'm not even an architect. although i wanted to study it.
With no client, you are free to do that. I should explain more in my previous comment.
The site is not very big in fact, it is thin retangular site. Client decide build project cover whole site to increase profitability.

Still, client's decision are the most important things for the project itself. What things can influence client, decision, market, education...etc. So back to the basic, aesthetic and perference.

Razqal, if you have ability and want to change this thing, go for it. Maybe one day, you become a leader in international architects. These clients will hold their money and come to your office, ask you design for them. Or in other way, become a client!!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamchung taiwan View Post
With no client, you are free to do that. I should explain more in my previous comment.
The site is not very big in fact, it is thin retangular site. Client decide build project cover whole site to increase profitability.

Still, client's decision are the most important things for the project itself. What things can influence client, decision, market, education...etc. So back to the basic, aesthetic and perference.

Razqal, if you have ability and want to change this thing, go for it. Maybe one day, you become a leader in international architects. These clients will hold their money and come to your office, ask you design for them. Or in other way, become a client!!
well you dont know the whole story either, william. maybe taiwanese architects dont bother coming up with better solutions and designs and dont argue back with clients but just accepted it because they just want to earn quick money too. look at antonie predock - just walked away from project after arguing with client because client was cheap and didnt want to spend more money. he stood up for his principles instead of being forced to compromise on his beautiful design for national palace museum chiayi branch and possibly make it really ugly. same with norihiko dan who just had a publicised dispute with the taoyuan airport authorities: http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiw.../07/2003479793

maybe if more taiwanese architects stepped up to the plate and stood up for their designs and principles, then more clients would listen and accept advice. and taiwan would have better quality of architecture.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 7:35 AM

Quote:
well you dont know the whole story either, william. maybe taiwanese architects dont bother coming up with better solutions and designs and dont argue back with clients but just accepted it because they just want to earn quick money too. look at antonie predock - just walked away from project after arguing with client because client was cheap and didnt want to spend more money. he stood up for his principles instead of being forced to compromise on his beautiful design for national palace museum chiayi branch and possibly make it really ugly. same with norihiko dan who just had a publicised dispute with the taoyuan airport authorities: http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiw.../07/2003479793

maybe if more taiwanese architects stepped up to the plate and stood up for their designs and principles, then more clients would listen and accept advice. and taiwan would have better quality of architecture.
Yes, I do not know the whole story. The thing you said, I have said to other people before.

I think the problem will be if Taiwanese architects go to ask and aruge with client,it is more likely they will be fired. And client just go find another architects.

The case you are talking about, it does not work for most Taiwanese architects. Don is a great international architect, he has ability to go and turn this thing into international level. Personally, I am glad that someone come out and force client (government) change their attitude. However, it will not change a lot which they have done for Taiwanese architects so many years. In fact for whole world, it is always a big conflict between Architect, client and contractors.

So back to basic, if someone want to change it, it has to go through education and community studies, to improve what people think about aesthectic and change the ideas of the building development. More important is people need to learn to accept designer. However, it does not mean Taiwan need to take everything from western world. We take which are appropriate and good to us, for example client should choose acception to the designers is a good one to learn.

For the site itself I believe, the statutory regulations will be help this issue you are talking about. Low building coverage ratio can force developers provide open space and width pedestrain in their project plan. For this project, I remeber it is about 70%.

Last edited by williamchung taiwan; Aug 25, 2010 at 2:45 AM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 8:53 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamchung taiwan View Post
I think the problem will be if Taiwanese architects go to ask and aruge with client,it is more likely they will be fired. And client just go find another architects.
I agree, and the government plays a role in this too. They are unlikely to reject any designs when big businesses/developers are going to come and invest in an area.

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 9:57 AM

In this stage, I feel I am stupid to talk about architects and developers in last discussion with Razqual. I realise it is really make no sense in my previous posts. I forget the importance of government role to all development in the city.

Government should put its role and effort to really force developers do something in their development, especailly for city landscape.For example, reduce building capacity, reduce the numbers of building they are going to build and allow more open space to be leaved. I don't see any government effort in this development in term of building new urban landscape for Taipei.

This photo is the best to show what I concern about. If another develop make a redeveloped project for the old residents opposite side of Neoskydome and same as Neoskydome don't leave any open space. You can see how crowded of these buildings you will feel when you walk on the street.

Last edited by williamchung taiwan; Sep 25, 2010 at 3:52 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan