HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
^
I didnt know the whole foods was under construction, has it actually started or are they just saying it will start soon?
Already started, via Barracuda:

Here's some more info from a poster on HAIF who attended the community meeting:

So the Whole Foods people were at the North Montrose civic association meeting last night and I got some details. The following is what I learned:

1) The reason the back-end of the store is facing Dallas and the side is facing Waugh is because of the AIG building. They (AIG building owner) required that the store be placed as far away from the building as possible. This meant that the parking lot had to sit between the AIG building and the store pushing the back to Dallas (unfortunately).
2) The loading entrance will be on Dallas and will exit onto Waugh. This means the trucks will not have to cross any traffic to get to the loading docks.
3) The trucks will be loading sometime in the early morning and should be finished by 8:00 AM. There will be nice large wooden doors to conceal the entrance and exit to the loading dock during the day when there is no loading.
4) The corner of the store on Waugh closest to D'amico will contain an outdoor/indoor style cafe with garage-type doors that open in good weather. The renderings of the store show a patio with umbrellas. They expect to have bands, etc playing there.
5) The store will be very pedestrian friendly with all traffic entering from the BACK of the parking lot (close to D'amico). They say they learned from the Kirby store that allowing cars to enter by the store entrance is a nightmare for traffic.
6) There will be bike racks with some 50 or available slots. There will be a free tire filling station. The focus here is to really drive bike traffic (and pedestrians as noted in #5).
7) There will be many skylights on the roof allowing a bunch of natural lighting.
8) There will be many large trees that should grow to provide good shade in time (not just those short trees).
9) No comment on an apartment building going up next to it BUT.. look at the roundabout driveway. Obviously not built just for a grocery store.
10) They will recycle their own rainwater and use it in sprinkler system.
11) I think 250 parking spots. Kirby store has 150. Kirby store is 35,000 sq ft and this one slightly larger at 40,000.
12) No real details on the inside of the store. They expect it to fit in very well with the diversity of Montrose. They are reaching out to local artists to put local art in the store (and around it). I can't remember exactly the email to submit. Maybe montrose.artist@wholefoods.com?? If you are and artist and want to submit your stuff give it a whirl.
13) They expect to open in the spring. Shooting for March if no big weather delays.
14) Store hours aren't set. Expected to be 7:00AM to 10? (if i remember correctly).
15) They are very excited as were the people in the meeting. They say Houston is the #2 market for them (they have 300 stores i think). Every store is built for the specific location (sugarland way different of course than Montrose).
16) They think there will be a bank at the corner of D'amico and Waugh in that section of the parking lot (which is what we really need right????)
17) They are hoping to relieve some of the high traffic they get at kirby store as it is a nightmare.
18) That's all i can think of right now. I'll post more if i remember.

-Shannosa-

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 9:14 AM

Man, that terminal is something you'd see overseas somewhere. Awesome...just awesome!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 9:39 AM

The Houston Intermodal Terminal will be amazing to see once built.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiringCE View Post
Hey! Anyone know about River Oaks District, Regent Square, and BLVD Place?
BLVD Place has had some work going on for the passed few months. They recently installed a stoplight that will service the little road that goes through the middle of the project (which they named BLVD Place Drive. Seriously? Those are all the suffixes of actual road names.)
They also put up signs around the site. The ones that go with any construction project: "The building in this picture is going up at this location" and some phone numbers for leasing info.
In the passed 3 weeks, there were also surveying crews working on the site and some holes were drilled, although I have no idea what for.
I drive by the site about ten times a day (I'm a delivery driver for a shop a block away, and I live across the street from the site), so nothing has escaped me.
The project is definitely moving. As soon as the first bit of construction equipment shows up, I will definitely let you guys know.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 6:12 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
BLVD Place Drive.
I bet this will confuse computer programs, if it doesn't allow a user to query based on the order the words come in.

"Uh, this is Pizza Hut, yeah man, uh, my manager never trained me to use the computer, so uh, your address, is like, fake or something. Can you come and pick it up?"

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 1:41 PM

Another development going on that I haven't seen mentioned is Grady Middle School. They just demolished the old school, and are working to build the first of a two-phase plan of expanding the school to nearly double the size. But the part that I like the most is that the plans look amazing:

The image above came from the article about the construction:
http://harvinmoore.com/the-new-grady...nd-briargrove/

Grady is located at the corner of San Felipe and Sage, near the Galleria. What I really love is how much it matches with BLVD Place, which is going up 2 blocks away. I also think it's funny that they included an image of an M3 in the rendering.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 6:38 PM
Ex Houstonian

I really wish in the Galleria area they would build stuff up to the sidewalk. Most of the new buildings and towers going in down there have grass lawns for a good 10 feet from the sidewalk and then the building starts. It gives the area still a very suburban feel to it, when it doesnt need that. If it werent for that, The Galleria area would probably feel as urban as downtown does.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 10:35 PM
Website Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()_T View Post
3009 Post Oak:

Website
Thanks for posting! I've put this in the DB - http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=92112

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
I really wish in the Galleria area they would build stuff up to the sidewalk. Most of the new buildings and towers going in down there have grass lawns for a good 10 feet from the sidewalk and then the building starts. It gives the area still a very suburban feel to it, when it doesnt need that. If it werent for that, The Galleria area would probably feel as urban as downtown does.
It's because of the city ordinance. Anything built on "major thoroughfares" (i.e. Westheimer, San Felipe, Post Oak, etc.) must be built 25 feet back from the property line. And in a lot of cases, the property line, is several feet back from the curb.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 4:49 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
Well, thats pretty ridiculous, any chance of that changing?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 5:47 AM
Oh yeah!

Wells Fargo Tower and Main Place Lighting

Main Place

Main Place and Wells Fargo

Wells Fargo

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 2:15 PM

Quote:
^
Well, thats pretty ridiculous, any chance of that changing?
Doubtful. The city wants to keep the building lines back so they can expand the lightrail system.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golyadkin View Post
Doubtful. The city wants to keep the building lines back so they can expand the lightrail system.
and you think the traffic is bad now in the galleria, they put the light rail through post oak/westheimer, its going to be a complete mess!! For the sake of the people, they need to put almost the entire post oak line underground.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 8:13 PM
Houston:Considered Good

If there is any possibility of getting our light rail off of roads, that possibility is for elevated rail, not subway.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 10:30 PM

I'm glad Wells Fargo Plaza fixed the lighting, and I absolutely love MainPlace's lighting. Other skyscrapers in downtown Houston need to take note, this is how lighting is done.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
If there is any possibility of getting our light rail off of roads, that possibility is for elevated rail, not subway.
There is possibility, but I would say it most likely won't happen. I think the most ideal and realistic scenario would be elevated/underground under key intersections like Westheimer, San Felipe, Kirby, Shepard, etc. I think at this point, Houston just needs to get as much money out of the Feds and get this thing built. I wish we could hold another referendum, but the chance of it not passing and setting Houston back another 15 years is too great.

Also, because of Houston's population growth, the suburbs will hold more representation than the City of Houston in METRO transit agency in the coming years. It could be possible that this is Houston's last chance to build an inner core light rail network.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 4:58 AM
Houston:Considered Good

-Texas budget

-Houston soil

That prevents it from happening.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
-Texas budget

-Houston soil

That prevents it from happening.
The Houston soil thing is overrated.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 8:42 AM
Oh yeah!

The Wells Fargo Tower on Friday night.

Blue and Red

Green

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 2:51 PM

i have no problem on the elevated system at all. However, going through the galleria, I highly doubt anything would be approved for an elevated train running down post oak. it doesn't fit the area.

has there been any confirmed reports/drawings of where the rail hooks up with the galleria? I think it would be great to have it linked up to the bottom floor of the food court.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations