HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 6:56 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Well then why bother having an observation deck at all? Seems like a waste of space. They have a public observation deck, but don't allow photos? I hope admission to the top is free. And Wells Fargo Tower is Houston's, and Texas' 2nd tallest.
It's not even an observation deck. It's a skylobby, which in the case of WFP is a glorified two-story waiting room for the offices on those floors and the transfer point for the elevators that go to the top floors. I recall reading in a post in another thread that a photographer from out of town called ahead before going up there so security knew someone would be shooting from there.

Chase's skylobby has always been open though, and they've never had an issue with anyone photographing from the 60th floor. There's usually a a few people with cameras coming in and going out whenever I've shot from there in the past.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 8:01 PM

I've never had a problem taking picks in WFP... though you better watch it if trying to take pictures in any Houston Center building or Crescent property.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherguru18 View Post
Yeah, the Condominium Tower is supposed to be 20+ stories!
Yeah, 20 stories exactly, so around 300 feet or less.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 10:11 PM

Some pics from the Houston Pavilions today:

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Yeah, 20 stories exactly, so around 300 feet or less.
How do you know it's exactly 20 stories? The article didn't indicate that. It said 20-plus stories.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 12:23 AM
Houstonian

new 16 story tower via swamplot.com

Link: http://swamplot.com/sanctioned-by-th...st/2008-03-24/

Developer: Hines

Designer: Kirksey

Location: First Baptist Church's parking lot at the south side of the Katy Freeway

Rendering:

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 12:49 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Well then why bother having an observation deck at all? Seems like a waste of space. They have a public observation deck, but don't allow photos? I hope admission to the top is free. And Wells Fargo Tower is Houston's, and Texas' 2nd tallest.
it is a sky lobby, never really was intended to be a observation deck although people still go up there. the 51st floor on the williams/ transco tower is also a skylobby but was used as a observation deck until 9/11 and then the knee-jerk rent-a-cops locked the place down like fort knox.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavis4559 View Post
I've never had a problem taking picks in WFP... though you better watch it if trying to take pictures in any Houston Center building or Crescent property.
I've heard the aviation spotters catch the same sort of hassle when they try to set up their tripods on the rooftop garages at Intercontinental. If I wanted that much state secrecy, I would have visited behind the Iron Curtain when it was up...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 3:56 AM

these people need to quit harrasing us and wake up and realize not everyone is a terrorist............particularly white americans.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 8:14 AM

I'm sure they are all just scared of some sort of liability claim that can be pinned on them

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALMSP View Post
these people need to quit harrasing us and wake up and realize not everyone is a terrorist............particularly white americans.

Right ... like Timothy McVeigh ...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manus View Post
Right ... like Timothy McVeigh ...
You took the words right out of my mouth. I was at the airport in Norfolk, VA and was running late and they pulled me aside for "extra security check"...which happens to me all the damn time. I said angerly, "do I look like a terrorist to you?!", and that security guy said, "did Timothy McVeigh?" That shut me up.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 1:35 PM
Baryonic Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALMSP View Post

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 1:42 PM
Endless Moments...

Wow, okay.

All i want to do is take a picture...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 3:08 PM

The method that has worked for me is to take as many pictures I can as fast as I can before I get stopped.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 8:10 PM
Meh

Oh yes, Crescent. They owned Austin's Chase Bank Tower up until last year. A building that is 1/3 the height of Wells Fargo Plaza in Houston. I remember once a friend and I cut through the lobby of the building during the summer because we were parked on the other side of the building. We both had cameras. We had been out taking pictures around downtown during a forum meet. Well, the woman at the front desk quickly jumped up and told us "No photos inside the building!" We said we were just passing through, which we were of course. Luckily now, Crescent sold every Austin property they owned last year including several high rises.

With Austin pushing for more residential in downtown and trying to bring more retail to the street level, I don't see how they can develop that atmosphere of openness and welcomeness to pedestrians with property owners treating everyone that walks through their doors as a potential suspect. Even in New York, even now after 9/11 they don't act that way. Of course there are certain buildings where there is plenty of security, checks and whatnot, but for the most part it remains open to all.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 4:23 PM
H-town Baller

It's not just terrorists but also people who just flat out lose their minds and "go postal".

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 1:56 AM
Ex Houstonian

Fing if I was a terrorist, I think id be a little more undercover. I very much doubt that a terrorist would be carrying around pro camera equipment like I do. I mean like having pro camera equipement and a tripod makes you a freakin terrorist. WTF, I get so pissed when Im out taking photos and just cause I have a tripod they tell me to go away or theyll call the cops. If a terrorist wanted to take photos I think that they would use a small camera and take plenty of high def photos. Freakin morons piss me off.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 6:38 AM

Let them call the cops. It's just a scare tactic.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 8:40 AM
Dryer lint inspector

anyone think the spire on the new memorial-herman building in memorial city is flat out ugly? i got a good look at it today. first, it's not even centered on the building (closer to the front) and second, it's too small in relation with the rest of the building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations