HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 1:21 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Is this the building you're talking about? http://www.emporis.com/application/?...orleans-la-usa
It apparently has a gruesome past: "A fire on November 29, 1972, resulted in 6 fatalities. One was a result of smoke inhalation and five were the result of jumping from the 15th floor to escape the inferno."

I have noticed that there has been some work done (though not much) when I pass by on my way to 1010 Common. There also appears to be some work being done on the row of two-story commercial buildings just across Rampart St. If anyone has any more info on either of these, I would love to hear it.

This is one area of downtown with more than its share of dilapidated structures, so any development would be welcome.

In other news, I can report that the renovations of Dinwiddie and Richardson hall at Tulane are complete along with the street and drainage projects. The construction of the new residential hall is well underway. And construction on the new basketball/volleyball practice facility will soon be underway. I also hear that (for better or for worse) a new football stadium is almost certainly going to be built uptown.
A new football stadium? where would they put that?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 5:01 PM
Show me the blueprints

The challenges of a historic structures reuse isn't the only thing that keeps a retailer like IKEA in the suburbs. The nature of goods that a store like IKEA sells tends to reinforce their preference, like many other big box stores, for stores with ample customer parking and self loading zones. If that can;t be incorporated succesfully into this power plant comcept I don't see a retailer, especially foreign, coming even close to going along with it.

My two cents.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 10:25 PM

[QUOTE=Uptowner;4963462]c . It's also noted that the planning firm who presented the study had certain interests in the LSU project and that of the two miles they wanted to demolish only about a half a mile is actually surrounded by residences (so much for killing the neighborhood).

I am curious which firm you are mentioning.?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 1:15 AM
-

BTW the whole statement of their being no residents around the Claiborne Expressway is actually the whole point of why people want to tear it down. Two miles through the heart of the city and hardly any residents. The thing is an eyesore and should be dismantled. I fail to see what the whole study that I never heard of is trying to prove by this anyway. Ive never heard of a neighborhood actually wanting to have an overpass there. Ive heard neighborhoods wanting to put it somewhere else of course.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 3:16 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
The challenges of a historic structures reuse isn't the only thing that keeps a retailer like IKEA in the suburbs. The nature of goods that a store like IKEA sells tends to reinforce their preference, like many other big box stores, for stores with ample customer parking and self loading zones. If that can;t be incorporated succesfully into this power plant comcept I don't see a retailer, especially foreign, coming even close to going along with it.

My two cents.
Thanks for the input.

The power plant site has excellent highway access, being along the Tchoupitoulas corridor that actually links New Orleans' container port to the Interstate system. The heavy truck traffic through the neighborhood is one obstacle in the way of turning this into the New Urbanist paradise that was shown in those renderings on the last page.

I don't know the details, but I'm sure IKEA ships quite a bit of their items by ocean freight, so the proximity of the container port is a definite bonus.

The power-plant does pose several unique challenges, which is why I had always assumed that, if IKEA were the secret marquee tenant, they would construct their own building on an adjacent block - the block sizes in the Lower Garden District are in line with several IKEA stores in California, so there's enough room for a parking deck with a warehouse level above and then a showroom level above that.

Now that I know Ullian is trying to attract the tenant into the power-plant itself, that changes the matter. I can't think of any huge retail tenants who are interested in re-using old buildings. Either this is gonna be something completely unique and out of left field, or it will be a radical departure for a major chain retailer.

On the other hand, the power-plant is not a bad building to re-use. The size of the former generators meant that the interior is a largely column-free, clear-span space - a big advantage for big-box stores.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 4:25 AM

Well Borders did reuse the Boltman funeral home (or at least the shell of the building) and it was considered a "special" project for Borders (although they had 2-3 other historic reuses in North America).

I don't see why the plant wouldn't work for a big retailer...other than a cost issue. That entire area from Tchoup to the plant would make an excellent retail space (with parking for the suburbanites). Maybe a CB2 and an Apple Store...oh I'm just dreaming...

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 5:01 AM

Lets hope it is something like Ikea which can pull in more than local customers.I think there is some understanding that New Orleans can be the major cultural and economic city in the region.Besides being the only one like it in America,there is nothing close to it in this area except Austin and Atlanta.I think people are really starting to get this fact and the only things that have kept it from having a real renaissance were the storm(Nagin)and the economic recession.Mitch has really started to get things moving again and hopefully he can continue.Also reusing any historical property is key in keeping the city distinct and giving it an edge in a country filled with generic landscapes.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanwatcher View Post
Lets hope it is something like Ikea which can pull in more than local customers.I think there is some understanding that New Orleans can be the major cultural and economic city in the region.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
BTW the whole statement of their being no residents around the Claiborne Expressway is actually the whole point of why people want to tear it down. Two miles through the heart of the city and hardly any residents. The thing is an eyesore and should be dismantled. I fail to see what the whole study that I never heard of is trying to prove by this anyway. Ive never heard of a neighborhood actually wanting to have an overpass there. Ive heard neighborhoods wanting to put it somewhere else of course.
I don't want to start this back up, but here you go.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/34724768/I...es-New-Orleans

A few problems I find with this study are:
1. The traffic data that they use is cherry picked to promote their argument
2. There should be a more detailed Level Of Service analysis, not just saying some streets handled higher volumes in the past, so they can again.
3. They've already stated that it isn't an engineering study, yet they tackle engineering issues and offer solutions.
4. Alternative 1 (page 35) states "The diagonal path of the freeway through this street network will create challenges
in terms of efficient intersection design and urban redevelopment along the edges of the corridor." <- functionality whether it be vehicular or pedestrian dies with this statement.
5. Alternative 2 (page 35) plans to dump I-10 traffic onto S. Miro and S. Galvez with Broad and Rampart serving as relievers. <- That opens up an entirely new book of challenges and costs.
6. The examples they use from other cities are nothing like this situation and they fail to provide any data or traffic counts from these examples.

On the other hand, the pictures are pretty and the vision is one that would look nice in the area. It just isn't feasible in the manner that they present it. Half of the drawings in those pictures wouldn't get past the MUTCD and the adjustments required would result in an area more disconnected than it is now. It is possible to tear down the expressway, but if you buy into the argument that it will be cheaper than rebuilding and will result in some magical urban paradise then you just bought into a lie. This a perfect example of why urban planners shouldn't try to be engineers and vice planner. Just because you can plan it and make it look good does not mean that it will work. Plus, most people in favor of this are only focusing on one area and not looking at the bigger picture at hand. Ok, enough of that as I'm sure nobody wants to read an engineer rant at 3 am.

BTW: Claiming that it needs to be torn down because there are no residences in that section is the exact opposite of what was being promoted. Even then the section will be surrounded by the CBD, cemetaries, and possible Iberville development to the river; the LCRC, LSU hospital, and greenway to the lake. Little room to do anything big unless it's built on one of those properties. Most major development would have to occur downriver from Orleans and thats even more of a challenge. It doesn't help that the people in the area are against it. The new sidewalks, fencing, and trees under the expressway also show that all it takes is a little effort.

Last edited by Uptowner; Aug 31, 2010 at 8:08 AM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 5:02 PM

The development at the corners of Esplanade and N. Rampart is coming along nicely. It looks a lot better than I expected it to, I just hope that the material and colors used for the facade have more of an authentic look vs. the artificial vibe that I get from some of the newer developments that have sprang up in the last 4 years.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 5:14 PM
TL;DR

I'm really only in favor of tearing down the portion that's elevated over Claiborne. The other part is indeed a blight, but there's no good way to accommodate traffic from the CBD to New Orleans East/Slidell/points east without that viaduct. I guess you could put it underground - we do have the Harvey and Belle Chasse tunnels, so it's clearly not impossible, although it's probably not worth the money, and you still wouldn't be able to build on top of it.

What I would do, though, is rebuild/beautify the elevated viaduct east of the traffic circle and then demolish the viaduct west of the circle. The highway would be routed underneath the traffic circle and would then come up at around Columbus Street and transition into a surface boulevard.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm really only in favor of tearing down the portion that's elevated over Claiborne. The other part is indeed a blight, but there's no good way to accommodate traffic from the CBD to New Orleans East/Slidell/points east without that viaduct.
Whether it comes down or not isn't the biggest issue with me. I'd just rather see them tear it down as part of a comprehensive plan that would take everything in account and actually make the city function better as a whole vs. them selling a lie to the public along with some pretty pictures and a "vision" that only affects a few and isn't even guaranteed.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's a 3-story building going up on St. Joseph between Magazine and Constance. Any idea what this may be?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 10:36 PM

Good to hear the N rampart development is coming along,that little bend has been rough for a while but i have been in love with that masonic temple forever!I wonder if they have plans for it since it has been painted and spruced up a bit.It would make for an amazing jazz museum or coffeehouse.Something indicative of local culture would be nice.It is too great of a building to let it sit.In regards to the i-10 project one would assume that they are going to have to figure out something soon.It is an eyesore and a hindrance to development but i agree that the report is not enough and won't be able to make it look like the renderings.I think a more practical idea would be to consolidate the lanes in the center and line the street with tress like on St Charles.The through traffic could easily be bypassed through the 6-10 but local traffic would need serious work on basin and rampart.The funny thing is when you put New Orleans into google maps it drops you right into this proposed area.What about a movie theatre in the old power plant?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 4:11 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
Whether it comes down or not isn't the biggest issue with me. I'd just rather see them tear it down as part of a comprehensive plan that would take everything in account and actually make the city function better as a whole vs. them selling a lie to the public along with some pretty pictures and a "vision" that only affects a few and isn't even guaranteed.
Wow, that's an amazingly rational statement for a New Orleanian.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 4:15 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
A new football stadium? where would they put that?
On the site of the current practice field.

I think it's a terrible idea, since the site is heavily constrained and won't be able to seat any more fans than an average high school stadium. If the football games ever become popular again, space is gonna run out really fast, and there's nowhere to expand.

Unfortunately, there's no other suitable site on campus or within walking distance. Putting it on the Fly would be cool, but I can't imagine the ruckus that the neighbors would kick up, especially after they screamed bloody murder over the loss of three tennis courts.

We should never have torn down our stadium in the first place. (We're still the only university to have ever hosted the Super Bowl...)

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 5:08 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's a 3-story building going up on St. Joseph between Magazine and Constance. Any idea what this may be?
I believe you are talking about the St Joeseph Lofts building. Its an addition that will fit into the two older buildings around it. There used to be a website but I believe its gone now. It will be rental as far as I know too. I live about a block from the site so may take a pic and post it! Hope this helps!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 5:40 AM
TL;DR

Has anyone seen that little building on Poeyfarre? I believe it was supposed to be a grocery store or something... The website says Fall 2010.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 3:24 AM
-

Its my friend Nick's place. It is still scheduled to open this fall!

Heres a snapshot of the old website!

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 10:51 PM
-

World's Largest Drainage Pumping Station under construction in Harvey!

http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index....t_pumps_u.html

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 4:41 AM

Reinventing the Crescent Beginning!

http://www.wwltv.com/katrina-anniver...102389449.html

Contract awarded to build the stretch of park along the river from Governor Nicholls St. and Pauline St. Construction set to begin in October!

According to the article, the contract was awarded for $24 million, but I remember read the first phase was to cost $30 million. I wonder if it was scaled back? The article doesn't mention anything about it.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 5:21 PM

Is it just me or did the LCRC look much better in the renderings? Welcome addition to the skyline none the less.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations