HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
on campus, there are other options, but they are decidedly far from my office. I don't pass other options on my way to work...whether I bike, walk, or drive. There are, however 17 Tim Horton's on campus. I shit ye not.

Besides I can't justify $4 for a Fourbucks coffee (we have 3 of those on campus), but I can cough up $2 for my daily Tim swill. Warm water to get me through teaching the early morning class.
Does Western still have those fake Starbucks with the giant vats of hours-old burnt coffee? Last time I visited it looked there was now some independent coffee place at Weldon Library where Starbucks was when I was in undergrad. The truly awful one was at Natural Science, outside Taylor Library (think it was called Einstein's Cafe).

It is very hard to avoid Tim's in the UCC/Social Science area. Go into Social Science, there's a Tim's, go through the tunnel to the UCC, there's another one by the bookstore, go up the stairs and there's another one. That's just one building.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 10:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

yessiree, and it does taste burnt. but there are now actual fourbucks locations on campus as well. horrible lineups.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
on campus, there are other options, but they are decidedly far from my office. I don't pass other options on my way to work...whether I bike, walk, or drive. There are, however 17 Tim Horton's on campus. I shit ye not.

Besides I can't justify $4 for a Fourbucks coffee (we have 3 of those on campus), but I can cough up $2 for my daily Tim swill. Warm water to get me through teaching the early morning class.
How about a coffeemaker in your office? Sincere question.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 12:34 AM
arf

Or if you only need one cup then a good to go container and a the coffee maker at home.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:37 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
How about a coffeemaker in your office? Sincere question.
Brilliant!

of course I had that. Drip coffee from those plastic things suck....tastes even worse than Tim Hortons. Keurigs are not much better (boiling water leaches the plastic from the pods). Then you need to grab your cream/milk.

What would be nice would be a McCafe...those guys make good coffee now!
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 4:05 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:

This sounds incredible. Both UBC and U Manitoba have like 3 or 4 each, all with 20 minute lines. Why does this demand not get properly addressed.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 6:39 AM

i love this time of year when this thread is revived! i'm 0/3.

I will give tim's credit. I was in the US recently for a two week vacation and starbucks is EVERYWHERE. I missed the ease, consistency and straightforwardness of tim's after never finding much alternatives to starbucks in most places when I needed caffeine (especially vegas HOLY EFF).

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
i love this time of year when this thread is revived! i'm 0/3.

I will give tim's credit. I was in the US recently for a two week vacation and starbucks is EVERYWHERE. I missed the ease, consistency and straightforwardness of tim's after never finding much alternatives to starbucks in most places when I needed caffeine (especially vegas HOLY EFF).
Depending on where you go in the US, in some pockets Tim Hortons is almost as ubiquitous as in Canada. I did a road trip last year and they're common in Western New York and in NW Pennsylvania, but once you cross into Ohio they're gone. Though I've heard they have them in Columbus.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
This sounds incredible. Both UBC and U Manitoba have like 3 or 4 each, all with 20 minute lines. Why does this demand not get properly addressed.
Western, unlike many universities, doesn't outsource its food services to companies like Aramark or Chartwell's, so they know their market very well and they are heavily focused on student satisfaction. They tend to be highly responsive to food/beverage trends and what students actually want. During my years at Western they were gradually replacing the fast food options with healthier and fresher options, and I understand more recently they've added a vegan food outlet. They know students, staff and faculty like Tim Hortons and their strategy has been to put Tim Hortons in every high traffic area of the campus.

At least when I was at Western, there weren't the constant complaints about campus food services that some universities have. Aramark had the food services contract for Western affiliate King's College, and there were constant complaints about rude staff, poor quality food, high prices, lack of vegetarian/vegan options, and massive lineups that didn't move. Another affiliate, Huron College, had Chartwell's, and I heard similar complaints about food quality there.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:33 PM
ハルウララ

3W
9L
Won two lattes and a donut. Large each cup.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Depending on where you go in the US, in some pockets Tim Hortons is almost as ubiquitous as in Canada. I did a road trip last year and they're common in Western New York and in NW Pennsylvania, but once you cross into Ohio they're gone. Though I've heard they have them in Columbus.
I know for a fact I've been to a Tim's in Ohio already. Years ago.

In my experience it's WNY and SE MI where they're the most common, but they've spilled into OH.

I suppose they probably have a presence in Erie but I can't say I recall seeing a Tim's in PA, nor anywhere in Eastern NY State.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I know for a fact I've been to a Tim's in Ohio already. Years ago.

In my experience it's WNY and SE MI where they're the most common, but they've spilled into OH.

I suppose they probably have a presence in Erie but I can't say I recall seeing a Tim's in PA, nor anywhere in Eastern NY State.
I've been to one in Erie, the only US location I've been to. It was virtually identical to the modern Canadian locations, right down to the faux fireplace. Most of their presence in PA is in the Erie area, although they've got a couple outside of Pittsburgh and Scranton as well.

I checked Ohio, they've got quite a few locations in Columbus, Dayton, and Toledo, and one in Youngstown. They are not at all in Cleveland, Akron, or Cincinnati yet. Columbus and Dayton likely have them because of their previous co-ownership with Wendy's, which itself is based in Columbus.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 5:47 PM

I've been to two US locations, Detroit and Providence. My first visit to the Providence store was around 2009. I passed in the area again around 2015 and it was permanently closed.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 5:50 PM

Although I've seen them abroad, I've still never been to a Tim's outside of Canada... it would just be so weird.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Although I've seen them abroad, I've still never been to a Tim's outside of Canada... it would just be so weird.
I found this in San Diego:

https://www.timhortonlaw.com/about

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 6:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I've been to Tim's in New York State and Pennsylvania. Same can, different label. Not nearly as crowded as Canadian tims.

It was weird seeing Tim Horton's in New York City.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 8:47 PM

Instead of getting an invitation to please play again, some customers are getting a blank space.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...-rim-1.4537119

Also, 0/7.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 8:54 PM
arf

If we take the adage that no news is good news, then "I win!"

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 11:14 PM

crap i actually got a hot chocolte the other day and totally forgot to roll the rim.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 2:46 PM
The Vomit Bag.

2/11. Batting average. Both times Doh Nuts. Un-redeemed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada