HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 4:11 PM

BC boy throws a no hitter against Toronto sick!!

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 1:31 PM

I was disappointed at first when I tuned into the game to see the Jays were down 5-0, but not surprised considering how poorly Stroman has been pitching this season.
However, come the 8th inning and the no-hitter was still on, I was actually hoping the Jays didn't break it up. I thought Donaldson might have gotten a hit at the bottom of the 9th, but that was a great fielding play to complete the no-hitter.
Congratulations to Paxton and the Mariners.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:37 PM

The Jays have regressed closer to where they should be expected to finish. I honestly didn't even expect them to be this competitive this year, so it's been nice to enjoy the several pleasant surprises in Solarte, Hernandez, Maile, and Gurriel.

Even better is Vlad Jr. is the Jays first ever #1 prospect. Putting together one of the best AA seasons ever and he's 19. I'm kind of hoping the Jays aren't in wildcard contention at the deadline and can move Donaldson for a top pitching prospect and some others who will hopefully be ready to compete when Vlad comes up.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:53 PM
I am the law!

LOL Imagine Vlad and Votto!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 5:49 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
...I'm kind of hoping the Jays aren't in wildcard contention at the deadline and can move Donaldson for a top pitching prospect and some others who will hopefully be ready to compete when Vlad comes up.
Your wish appears to be the Blue Jays command. 10 games out of the wild card now. After being 16-14 after the first 30 games, they've got 10-19 over the next 29 games. Not done by any means, but they've sank a lot and the lack of talk in this thread is probably related.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 8:03 PM

For those in BC look at those Seattle Mariners!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
The Jays have regressed closer to where they should be expected to finish. I honestly didn't even expect them to be this competitive this year, so it's been nice to enjoy the several pleasant surprises in Solarte, Hernandez, Maile, and Gurriel.

Even better is Vlad Jr. is the Jays first ever #1 prospect. Putting together one of the best AA seasons ever and he's 19. I'm kind of hoping the Jays aren't in wildcard contention at the deadline and can move Donaldson for a top pitching prospect and some others who will hopefully be ready to compete when Vlad comes up.
I think that ship has sailed.

Donaldson's looking old and broken. Further evidence that resigning him is/ would have been a very bad idea.

But, yes, they could certainly get a decent prospect for him, just not sure it would be a big, young arm.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 1:49 AM

Unfortunately his value falls every day as his injury lingers. Could've gotten a king's ransom for him in the off-season. Now it's going to hurt to lose him for spare parts.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 1:17 AM

^It seems likely they had a chat or two with a couple teams at least. St Louis came up in the media several times. No idea what they would have offered.

To be frank, it's really hard to win a trade where you're dealing the best player. Very hard. Think back to the Oakland deal that brought Donaldson to Toronto.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 4:17 PM

If you're goal is to be better today, you're never going to get equivalent value for an MVP-calibre player. It's about taking the risk to be better tomorrow. Baltimore would be foolish not to try and move Machado this year either.

Oakland ditched Donaldson because they knew he was going to get paid. As a counterpoint look how well the Dickey trade turned out for the Mets.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 2:55 PM

Any other TO people notice the number of Mets fans in town the past couple of days? I noticed this when walking to work in the morn and going back home. I thought this is an inordinate amount of visiting fans, especially for a team that isn't very good.

Then I read this article. I had no idea they were this organized!

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/swa...234339068.html

On a related note, back in 2006 I was at the Dome for a game with the visiting Mets. I was walking down the aisle looking for my seat and in the corner of my eye I saw a white object flying towards me. I turn my head and instinctively cup my hands together in self defence to both try and catch or deflect the foul ball from hitting me. Well with all that spin on it, it bounced off my hands and went a few rows back. I did a saying what the eff just happened?! Everyone was having a good laugh.

Two pitches later, David Wright fouls the ball right back in our direction. I get up and actually reach over the fan in front of me and snag the foul ball, which sprained my finger by the way. It was swollen for a week.

Anyway, I get a standing ovation after everyone saw on the jumbotron I was the same guy who dropped the foul ball two pitches ago. Then the Mets fans two rows in front of us took a pic with me.

Later that night I went up to Madison Ave Pub at U of T and two people pulled me over and said HEY you're that dude from the jumbotron with the foul ball! One of them was a fine ass girl but despite my efforts, I unfortunately didn't get anywhere with her.

The very next night I was partying at some place on King Street when it turned out JP Ricciardi, the GM, and a few players were there. JP was standing by himself behind the bar and clearly out of his element. We went up to him and after exchanging pleasantries I said hey JP, do I look familiar? He said Oh you're the guy with the foul balls last night!

And to top it off, the day after that I went to go pick up my new car at Al Pal's in Woodbridge and the salesman, who had a Jays bobblehead on his desk, recognized me as the guy with the foul balls.

I also caught a foul ball at Fenway when I was 10. Well it bounced off several hands and rolled to my feet and I picked it up.

Two foul balls with great stories attached yet I lost both of them. I think I ended up using them in pickup games.

Last edited by megadude; Jul 5, 2018 at 6:07 PM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 5:42 PM

Well that and it was also the fourth of July so it only makes sense a lot of American's would be in town to watch their team play.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
On a related note, back in 2006 I was at the Dome for a game with the visiting Mets. I was walking down the aisle looking for my seat and in the corner of my eye I saw a white object flying towards me. I turn my head and instinctively cup my hands together in self defence to both try and catch or deflect the foul ball from hitting me. Well with all that spin on it, it bounced off my hands and went a few rows back. I did a saying what the eff just happened?! Everyone was having a good laugh.

Two pitches later, David Wright fouls the ball right back in our direction. I get up and actually reach over the fan in front of me and snag the foul ball, which sprained my finger by the way. It was swollen for a week.

Anyway, I get a standing ovation after everyone saw on the jumbotron I was the same guy who dropped the foul ball two pitches ago. Then the Mets fans two rows in front of us took a pic with me.

Later that night I went up to Madison Ave Pub at U of T and two people pulled me over and said HEY you're that dude from the jumbotron with the foul ball! One of them was a fine ass girl but despite my efforts, I unfortunately didn't get anywhere with her.

The very next night I was partying at some place on King Street when it turned out JP Ricciardi, the GM, and a few players were there. JP was standing by himself behind the bar and clearly out of his element. We went up to him and after exchanging pleasantries I said hey JP, do I look familiar? He said Oh you're the guy with the foul balls last night!

And to top it off, the day after that I went to go pick up my new car at Al Pal's in Woodbridge and the salesman, who had a Jays bobblehead on his desk, recognized me as the guy with the foul balls.

I also caught a foul ball at Fenway when I was 10. Well it bounced off several hands and rolled to my feet and I picked it up.

Two foul balls with great stories attached yet I lost both of them. I think I ended up using them in pickup games.
You were in the zone, brother. A rare but wonderful feeling...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
You were in the zone, brother. A rare but wonderful feeling...
Yup. My 15 minutes or 15 hours in this case. We all get but a few of these at most in our lifetimes.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada