HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 6:42 PM
Near Generational

Any ideas as to what a season ticket will cost?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 6:53 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Any ideas as to what a season ticket will cost?
Recent news out of Hamilton pegs season tickets there starting at around $160 (14 league matches plus two additional matches) working out to roughly $10/match. York9 has a ceiling of $400 for season tickets ($27/match) and have confirmed that there will be a supporters section at a cost much lower than that.

Right now there's a floor of $160 and an absolute ceiling of $400 for season tickets, so somewhere in between.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 9:45 PM
Near Generational

Thanks. I haven't heard/seen anything for Calgary yet.

Was wondering what the ranges were elsewhere.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 12:23 AM
The New Republic

'Canadian Premier League' is a poor choice. They've simply ripped off 'Premier League' and but the word 'Canadian' in front. Not only is it blatant copying but it's not exactly Canada's premier soccer league either. MLS is.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
'Canadian Premier League' is a poor choice. They've simply ripped off 'Premier League' and but the word 'Canadian' in front. Not only is it blatant copying but it's not exactly Canada's premier soccer league either. MLS is.
MLS is the United State's premier league. Canada just got thrown a bone with a couple of teams.

Premier League is used world wide, even for sports outside of soccer, its not reserved solely for England.

Others include

Russian Premier League (soccer)
Indian Premier League (cricket)
Scottish Premiership (soccer)
Kazakh Premier League (soccer)
Israeli Premier League (soccer)
Primiera Lega Portugal (soccer)
Primera Division Argentina (soccer)
English Premiership (Rugby Union)

etc etc

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 5:27 PM

Canada is in a special situation as their top teams will not be playing in their domestic league. I don't know if there is a similar situation elsewhere in soccer, but in the world of hockey that's the equivalent of Jokerit Helsinki playing in the KHL instead of SM-liiga.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 6:03 PM

Welsh Premier League.

Welsh teams had always competed in the multiple tiers of the English League. But the Welsh league started up in the early 90s and I'm not sure how teams chose to stay or leave.

But Cardiff and Swansea have been promoted to the EPL in recent years. Cardiff just did it again so will be playing with the big boys in the EPL this season. And Swansea just dropped down.

Wales is not too bad of a comparison to the CPL. I just did a little reading up on it and one of the big factors for there not being a Welsh league was due to lack of North/South transport links. So many Welsh clubs travelled east to play English teams and eventually joined the English setup.

Canada is vast and spread out. That of course must have been a hindrance. Unlike Wales, our problem is East/West. And transport is just so damn far. Makes sense to travel North/South and play US competition. Or like the CHL, regionalize your league.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 7:12 PM
ハルウララ

https://www.tsn.ca/pacific-fc-latest...ague-1.1144446

http://canpl.ca/article/pacific-foot...er-league-club

CPL

Pacific FC will play out of Westhills Stadium in Langford (Victoria), BC.

The seventh confirmed team, they will be joining:

York9 FC (York)
Forge FC (Hamilton)
Valour FC (Winnipeg)
Cavalry FC (Calgary)
FC Edmonton
HFX Wanderers FC (Halifax)

/u/ame2507 @ Reddit

Ottawa Fury are expected to join once their current USL season wraps up.

Last edited by JHikka; Jul 21, 2018 at 8:09 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 7:32 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Brilliant!!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 12:31 AM

Is the long-term plan to have 3 conferences: the Maritimes; Central (i.e. Ontario); and the West?

Used to really like the CSL - looking forward to the return of Canadian football.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 12:34 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Is the long-term plan to have 3 conferences: the Maritimes; Central (i.e. Ontario); and the West?
The word right now is a single league table with no playoffs.

Eventually, if/when there's enough teams, they'll be split into CPL and CPL2, presumably with some sort of promotion/relegation mechanism. This is 5-10 years down the road at the earliest, though, but CPL seems pretty positive on expansion potential in the next few years beyond the first eight teams. Mississauga, Quebec, and Saskatchewan all seem to have some sort of confirmed interest.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 2:37 AM

I really dislike the colours they chose for Victoria. Looks like those old Dixie cups from the 90s.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 3:17 AM

I think the Victoria team has a really nice set of colours. We don't see too much purple or teal in sports these days, it's always cool to see more of it.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
York9 FC (York)
Forge FC (Hamilton)
Valour FC (Winnipeg)
Cavalry FC (Calgary)
FC Edmonton
HFX Wanderers FC (Halifax)
At first, I really liked the individual names but I'm not so keen now that I see them in a group. To me the civic identification seems to be lost a bit. I'm just thinking ahead to a broadcast that will have Cavalry vs Valour, they are really going to have to play up the cities involved. Reminds me of when I was a kid watching Candy playing Vodaphone

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 3:21 PM
arf

Out of the logos I like Edmonton's and Halifax's the best and Halifax's has the chance for a really striking jersey if they use the waves in them.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
At first, I really liked the individual names but I'm not so keen now that I see them in a group. To me the civic identification seems to be lost a bit. I'm just thinking ahead to a broadcast that will have Cavalry vs Valour, they are really going to have to play up the cities involved. Reminds me of when I was a kid watching Candy playing Vodaphone
Yeah I am really hoping that for the first several seasons at least, announcers will just call them "Victoria's Pacific FC vs Hamilton's Forge FC" or something along those lines, as it becomes confusing to follow. Once the name has been established (i.e. the Whitecaps no longer really need Vancouver's designation for most) then we can start referring them to the names themselves.

Not sure what they'd refer to York 9 as. A Toronto team?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 4:42 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
Yeah I am really hoping that for the first several seasons at least, announcers will just call them "Victoria's Pacific FC vs Hamilton's Forge FC" or something along those lines, as it becomes confusing to follow. Once the name has been established (i.e. the Whitecaps no longer really need Vancouver's designation for most) then we can start referring them to the names themselves.

Not sure what they'd refer to York 9 as. A Toronto team?
York9 are certainly a GTA team, but they're marketing themselves as strictly York, so that's interesting.

As long as people in the local market know that Pacific FC = Vancouver Island or Cavalry = Calgary then I don't think there's much difference. As long as we're aware that all the teams are located in Canada featuring Canadian players I don't think it would matter much to people watching in non-targeted market areas for the teams playing, if that makes sense.

I thought the same thing initially about names like Valour and Forge but the more i've given it thought the less I think it really matters in the long run. I don't think people struggle that much when they're watching Arsenal or Tottenham on TV...odds are they'll just Google the team and find their social media.

Ottawa Fury FC don't have much trouble. Some people call them Fury FC and some call them Ottawa Fury, similar to how i'm sure some will call the team Valour FC and some will call them Winnipeg Valour. It's all interchangeable in the end.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 6:46 PM

So is Ottawa the 8th team?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 6:49 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
That's the rumour. Waiting on their current USL season to finish before they announce.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Nope - they are staying in the USL

https://twitter.com/OttawaFuryFC/sta...01958267711491

Quote:
#FuryFC is pleased to confirm that the club will be staying in the @USL for the 2019 season. ⚽️

We share the CPL’s objective of providing Canadian pros a chance to play professionally in North America and we wish the league nothing but the best in the future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada