HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 6:55 AM
Meh

13 acres of downtown for sale

Some interesting news from tomorrow's paper.

Click on the link below for a map of the area.

From the Austin American-Statesman
http://www.statesman.com/business/co.../30rainey.html

REAL ESTATE
13 acres of downtown for sale
Sellers envision plan that includes residential, retail, restaurant and hotel components.

By Shonda Novak
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Friday, March 30, 2007

Thirteen acres of prime real estate in downtown Austin are up for grabs, the largest offering of private property in the city's core.

Much of the land is in the historic Rainey Street area, which in 2005 was rezoned for higher-density development like the rest of downtown.

About half of the 13 acres is owned by local developers Perry Lorenz and Robert Knight; the rest is listed for sale by Knight Real Estate Corp.

The buyer will have a rare, even unprecedented, opportunity to transform an overlooked gateway into downtown into a signature project, Knight said.

"We want to get this in the hands of someone who can maximize its potential," Knight said. "We're hoping there's some major redeveloper out there who realizes this is a major opportunity to control a key piece of real estate downtown . . . and create the finest example of urban development in the country."

The goal is for a "master developer," or a team or even teams of developers, to come up with a plan that complements the high-rise residential, hotel and other projects being built or planned in the area.

Those projects include the 22-story Shore condominium tower, an adjacent boutique hotel and a 31-story luxury apartment building by Legacy Partners at Rainey and Cummings streets.

"Obviously, there's a lot of activity going on down there," Knight said. "But what's missing is any kind of planned, cohesive development."

For years, Knight and Lorenz have tried to get the area's numerous property owners to sell their holdings, with little luck.

Now, they are hoping a developer or team with more negotiating power and the financial clout can persuade the owners to sell.

Potentially, the winning developer could end up with 25 to 30 acres, depending on whether other owners decide to sell, Knight said.

"We want to get the combined experience and the patience and the capital to do Rainey Street right and turn it into a really nice neighborhood, not just a bunch of individual buildings popping up," Knight said.

"I don't want to claim I'm altruistic, but it would be easy for us to sell our pieces individually and let the chips fall where they may. But we want this to be a really good place for people to live in an urban environment that fits the model that the City of Austin says it wants," he said.

And, he said, "Perry and I have a little ego in this. We've been working on it a long time and want to see it done right."

Knight envisions a "classic mixed-use neighborhood" that would include residential, retail, restaurant and hotel components.

Knight and Lorenz will publicize the offering in the several months, seeking expressions of interest and developers' ideas now, not bids.

They also will send details of the offering to developers who have expressed interest over the years. Knight said he and Lorenz want to avoid more of what has been happening, with people cherry-picking and developing parcels piecemeal.

Legacy Partners is buying some of the land from Lorenz and Knight for its luxury apartment project.

The two also own land at the southwest corner of Red River and East Cesar Chavez Street, where Constellation Property Group plans to build a mixed-use project.

Constellation originally proposed a condo and a hotel tower, each with about 30 stories.

But Constellation President Eugene Marchese said Thursday that the latest plan is for a single tower of about 27 stories with condominiums and retail.

Constellation does not have the land under contract, although it has in the past.

Included in the 13-acre offering is land at the end of Red River Street, where the Villas on Town Lake condominiums are located.

Knight has the listing for the Villas property.

Built in 1982, the Villas' 54 units are home to about 75 to 100 people, said Michael Abraham, secretary of the homeowners association board.

The association voted to include the Villas land in the offering after an informal poll of owners found strong support.

He said the board wants to make an informed decision about its future, "and exploring the option of a sale is a way to educate ourselves about our options."

The homeowners association bylaws state that if 80 percent of the owners want to sell their units, the remaining 20 percent would be required to sell as well, Abraham said.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 12:27 PM
Austinite

Wow, it looks like several blocks of homes on Rainey Street are on the market (is that correct?). If so, we're looking at a full-scale transformation/urbanization of a primarily residential area. Those blocks to the south and east of the Convention Center will be prime hotel development property. Best of all, the IHOP tract at Cesar Chavez and I-35 looks to remain unchanged... the buzzed kids leaving 6th Street at 2:30am will appreciate that

EDIT: The map posted on Statesman.com:

Last edited by Mopacs; Mar 30, 2007 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added Map

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 12:30 PM

"Knight said he and Lorenz want to avoid more of what has been happening, with people cherry-picking and developing parcels piecemeal."

Great news to hear that these guys want this done right.
I predict that area will be THE most amazing enclave in Austin because of it's proximity to so many amenities.

I think that you will have the potential to be living right downtown and not feel like it.

Last edited by TDoss; Mar 30, 2007 at 12:47 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
Best of all, the IHOP tract at Cesar Chavez and I-35 looks to remain unchanged... the buzzed kids leaving 6th Street at 2:30am will appreciate that
Too funny Mopacs!!!
You just brought back a memory I had chosen to forget about.
I had a bit of an "incident" in the bushes of that IHOP few years back.

The combination of Jagermeister & a Rueben Sandwich proved to be too much.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 11:09 PM

Wow, that's amazing... And they want to sell it as a single deal??? That would be mega expensive.

Look at those sites next to the convention center... Are those properties or vacant? perfect for hotels?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 12:38 PM

I think the big question is why they're for sale. Can the Rainey Street Association muster up enough Silly Council support to block any new high rises in their neighborhood. Is this the reason the properties are on the block???? Why keep them if you can't do anything with 'em....unload on someone else.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
I think the big question is why they're for sale. Can the Rainey Street Association muster up enough Silly Council support to block any new high rises in their neighborhood. Is this the reason the properties are on the block???? Why keep them if you can't do anything with 'em....unload on someone else.
I was under the impression the rainy street homeowners themselves wanted upzoning - it was other "neighborhood activists" who were against it. I could be wrong.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 2:31 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
No, the neighborhood association, for the most part, is in favor of the new developments. Also, even if someone was in opposition to a certain project, there are fairly few permanent residents (i.e. home owners; excluding new condo development home owners) left in this area, now being referred to as the Waterfront District. Moreover, the majority of the remaining old, historic homes in this "neighborhood” are primarily owned by Robert Knight and Perry Lorenz.

In addition to the above, the City, a couple of years ago, rezoned this entire district CBD (with some sections CBD-CURE), allowing for development densities at or exceeding most of the rest of downtown Austin.

So why not sell? Land prices are at an all-time high and several national and international development firms are salivating at the chance to secure property in downtown Austin (please review the news stories pertaining to LA-based Thomas Properties Group’s $1.15B real estate purchase deal which was announced, publicly, last week).

Please read the article again, if you haven't already. In it, you should have noticed that Bob and Perry want this district to have a cohesive feel to it. They simply do not want thirteen different developers to come in and create thirteen different products – piecemealing the district together. I really like their effort here. I think it’s a great idea and it should be a great for the district (if they are able to get it accomplished)!

Last edited by GoldenBoot; Apr 3, 2007 at 2:55 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 8:03 PM

Knight Real Estate has had a listing on its website with lots of info and some older conceptual renderings of a proposed project --named Waller Creek Commons -- for quite some time.

Link

Overview:

Map and additional renderings:

The More information on Waller Creek Commons link is a concept paper that was apparently written during the time the convention center was being expanded and before the Hilton Convention Center Hotel had broken ground (and before the Rainey Street Distric was rezoned) so it's dated and some things have probably changed, but it's still an interesting read.

I'm a little confused, though. The Statesman says much of the land up for sale is in the historic Rainey Street District.

On Knight's website, the concept paper for Waller Street Commons mentions:

Rainey Street

The Rainey Street neighborhood of existing single-family homes is not included within the Waller Creek Commons project. It is the opinion of the developers that Rainey Street will continue to evolve in a way that is acceptable to the property owners in that area. In designing the project, the developers have been careful to avoid creating any traffic impact on Rainey Street and to minimize any other impacts.

Then again, the Statesman said that about half of the 13 acres is owned by Perry Lorenz and Robert Knight; the rest is listed for sale by Knight Real Estate Corp. So maybe Perry Lorenz and Robert Knight own the land primarily in the Rainey Street District and this Waller Street Commons area is the part listed by Knight Real Estate.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin