HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 4:38 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Interesting how you see cottages as an "anglo" thing.

I live in Northern Ontario and cottages (also known as camps here) are popular with anglophones and francophones. Also a lot of people from Italian background have them here. And we do have quite a few people with Italian roots. Same goes for Finnish and many others who have origins from different European countries. Although we don't have large visible minority groups I don't know of any who have cottages here which seems to be the same as down South. Some aboriginals here have cottages but most are more likely to have remote camps.
By "anglo" I think they mean "white Canadian". Going to the cottage (the Northern Ontario boy in me shudders at using the phrase) is most definitely a thing that is culturally ingrained in those who are descended from a European background.

I understand where it comes from though - in past days staying in the city was boring during the summer as there was no where near as much to do today and cities were much smoggier and polluted then. Getting away from it all to a lake was a nice change from the urban grind.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
How long ago was that? Nowadays Jewish Canadians are disproportionately part of the uppermost classes.. funny to think that it was really not that long ago that they were one of the poorest.
The Jewish community in the 1930s and 1940s was mostly skilled working class and small proprietors (they were never a community with a lot of unskilled laborers like Italians and Ukrainians) but even then they a more affluent group was beginning to emerge (i.e. Forest Hill in Toronto and Westmount in Montreal began attracting wealthy "uptown" Jews). But the movement out of the working class and lower middle class and into the professions really took off after WWII.

I'd say the social discrimination began to break down after WWII and was mostly gone by the 1970s.

From what I know, Muskoka was restricted until the 1950s or so.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
By "anglo" I think they mean "white Canadian".
I was thinking not Italian, Jewish, Portuguese or other "white ethnics" but those of northwestern European backgrounds who aren't seen as "ethnic."

I don't know if Italian Torontonians have embraced the cottage thing that much, maybe they have. Northern Ontario may be different. Northern Ontario Italians are also more assimilated since more of them are descended from the early 20th century immigration compared to their Toronto counterparts.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
How long ago was that? Nowadays Jewish Canadians are disproportionately part of the uppermost classes.. funny to think that it was really not that long ago that they were one of the poorest.
and how Lake Simcoe is now one of the most expensive cottaging areas since it is so close to the city.. a lot of people now commute daily into the GTA from its southern shores.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 10:57 PM

Balfour Beach was a Jewish cottage colony.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Toronto's inner suburbs and North York in particular have some of the poorest neighourhoods in the entire GTA. Not sure why you are surprised by this.

Mississauga is more expensive than Etobicoke too. Mississauga is also more expensive than York Region. I don't see what is unusual about York Region compared to the rest of the GTA.
Are you comparing Port Credit prices with those in North Rexdale? lol!

Comparing housing costs longitudinally, homes in Etobicoke are more expensive.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 12:07 AM

I don't expect too much from Doady. He misread my OP, then threw a fit when this was pointed out to him.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 12:07 AM
Midtowner since 2K

I would say it's hard to simply say Mississauga is more expensive then X...simply because a fair amount of housing in the city, being built in the 70's and 80's, still remains $300-$400k. If you go below/south of Dundas in some areas, it gets VERY wealthy very quick, but in other areas it gets progressively pricier. I find if you go north of the 403 or west of the Credit River, housing is generally newer (Except some parts of streetsville) and with that it's larger in size and less cheap.

Now there are several sh*thole areas of Mississauga, as any city would have. One of them being the Dundas Street corridor IMO. It contains a lot of the affordable-ish housing and a dated somewhat dreary look. If anyone has a differing opinion, rail at me all ya want. (I support affordable housing and all, it's just not in the greatest area)

Now, of course, there's also a CONSIDERABLE amount of new housing (built since 2000) especially around Heartland and in general north of the 403. There's also the mansion's of Mississauga road, a huge phenomena of HUGE expensive ass housing generally built of "rich" looking very huge homes.

NOW, since Mississauga is getting an LRT..it's obviously not getting any cheaper especially along Hurontario or the new MCC, which would still increase in expense year-over-year.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
There's more of a break in development between Woodbridge/Maple and NW Toronto too. NW Toronto was mostly developed in the 60s with the last major housing developments in the early or maybe late 70s, and Woodbridge and Maple only started seeing a boom in suburban housing in the mid to late 80s. With Thornhill, Richmond Hill and Markham, it was more of a continuous wave of development spilling over from Toronto into York Region.
That is very true. The Markham side of Thornhill for instance very much feels like a continuation of the Bayview/Leslie corridor of North York, as it developed pretty much right after.

Vaughan on the other hand was very late to develop.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Are you comparing Port Credit prices with those in North Rexdale? lol!

Comparing housing costs longitudinally, homes in Etobicoke are more expensive.
So Port Credit is the only neighbourhood in Mississauga more expensive than Rexdale. I'll keep that in mind the next time I drive along Mississauga Rd.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
So Port Credit is the only neighbourhood in Mississauga more expensive than Rexdale. I'll keep that in mind the next time I drive along Mississauga Rd.
I'm not sure where you read that. Nobody mentioned Port Credit is the only neighbourhood more expensive than Rexdale.

I gave an admittedly extreme example, but nowhere did I mention it was the only example. A quick look on Realtor/MLS listing shows quite clearly Etobicoke has higher prices. Of course, this is not a complete inventory, but as I'm not the one who made the assumption to begin with, without citing figures, the onus is not on me to show proof, it's on you.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 1:54 AM

If we match "like" for "like" then Rexdale is most comparable to Malton. I'm guessing Rexdale is a bit more expensive, but both are pretty inexpensive by GTA standards.

Etobicoke lakeshore communities are historically more working class than the Mississauga lakeshore.

And then central Etobicoke is generally more desirable than central Mississauga.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 7:35 PM

Comparing "apples", the price of the coveted detached house, in Mississauga and selected other areas. TREB data for Jan. 2017, Dec. 2016 and Nov. 2016.

Mississauga $980,000 $935,000 $918,000

York Region $1,270,000 $1,125,000 $1,175,000
Richmond Hill $1,500,000 $1,360,000 $1,395,000
Vaughan $1,365,000 $1,108,000 $1,165,000

W6 (Etobicoke lakeshore) $842,000 $1,089,000 $900,000
W8 (central Etobicoke) $1,300,000 $1,213,000 $1,180,000
W10 (Rexdale) $680,000 $675,000 $646,000

Unfortunately TREB only has all of Mississauga lumped together, but it's pretty evident that York Region is more expensive than Mississauga and Etobicoke is probably a bit more too.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 1:42 AM

I had a look at the 1971 census. At the time, Markham (where the population was mainly in Thornhill at the time) had the highest average income, and Mississauga and Oakville were next and about the same. Presumably Mississauga was more dominated by detached SFHs housing then.

Richmond Hill was lower than any of them, but I guess it was further removed, kind of like Newmarket now. The McMansionization of RH didn't really take off until the 1980s and 1990s.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I'm not sure where you read that. Nobody mentioned Port Credit is the only neighbourhood more expensive than Rexdale.

I gave an admittedly extreme example, but nowhere did I mention it was the only example. A quick look on Realtor/MLS listing shows quite clearly Etobicoke has higher prices. Of course, this is not a complete inventory, but as I'm not the one who made the assumption to begin with, without citing figures, the onus is not on me to show proof, it's on you.
You gave a stupid example. You are obviously not interested in debate, so I have nothing to say to you.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 8:42 PM

Everytime somebody challenges your claims, you deem them "no longer interested in debate" or a "waste of time."

I am still waiting for evidence for your claim that Mississauga is more expensive than York Region. I've posted figures that suggest the contrary.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Everytime somebody challenges your claims, you deem them "no longer interested in debate" or a "waste of time."

I am still waiting for evidence for your claim that Mississauga is more expensive than York Region. I've posted figures that suggest the contrary.
The guy mocked my post and suggested I was comparing Port Credit to Rexdale. He is an asshole, I have nothing to say to him. If you see nothing wrong with his post, then you are an asshole too, I have nothing to say to you either.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 5:28 PM

I acknowledge that comparing Port Credit to Rexdale is pretty bad cherry-picking. And I don't think that was your intention.

That being said, you basically accused me of being some sort of idiot for wondering aloud why York Region is more expensive than North York when it was in fact NOT what I said. Are you going to acknowledge that you were wrong, or is this a one-way street?

In fact the opposite is true. Average housing prices in North York are higher than York Region - which I said in the original post. The only exception is Downsview is less expensive than Maple/Woodbridge.

And you also claimed that Mississauga is more expensive than York Region and Etobicoke and North York. Your "evidence" seems to be drives along Mississauga Rd.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 5:43 PM

Quote:
while southern York may have higher housing prices than the city of Toronto, it is cheaperr than much of North York to which it is adjacent.
Quote:
You were wondering out loud why York Region is more expensive than North York, and now you act incredulous at me for repeating what you just said? I can see discussing anything with you is a waste of time. So I won't
Again, where was I "wondering out loud why York Region is more expensive than North York"?

Most of the OP compared York Region to other 905 municipalities, I didn't come to 416 until the end where I said the opposite of what you attributed to me.

Last edited by Docere; Feb 23, 2017 at 6:54 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 6:14 PM

Average detached price, Jan 2017:

Etobicoke $1,032,000

Mississauga $1,181,000

Southern York Region $1,571,000

North York $2,312,000

Last edited by Docere; Feb 23, 2017 at 9:48 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario