HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 5:47 PM

There is some nice patio furniture on the rooftop deck now and the planters have plants in them. I think the fire pits are in the bottom left corner. Seeing how every other building in the South Waterfront has an awesome rooftop deck or common area makes me wish the Ardea had a better one...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 6:03 PM

You have a magnificent view!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 10:34 PM

Some pics of Mirabella's entry courtyard and the now open pedestrian walkway between the John Ross & Mirabella.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 1:38 AM
momentum

nice picts. Contrary to all the naysayers about this area - I think it will prove to be a huge asset and bario to the city 20 years from now. Go BUILD. Neighborhoods take time to build, especially when you create them from ground zero. I hope for more diversity both in use, demographics and architectural style and typology.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 9:32 AM
PearlHelp.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkealoha View Post
There is some nice patio furniture on the rooftop deck now and the planters have plants in them. I think the fire pits are in the bottom left corner. Seeing how every other building in the South Waterfront has an awesome rooftop deck or common area makes me wish the Ardea had a better one...
I agree; however, I toured Riva on the Park to find nobody is aloud on the grass of their rooftop deck. Dogs or humans.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 9:42 PM

Thank you, dkealoha, for the photo update of the landscaping around Mirabella. We are impressed with the look. Mirabella posted pics from their hard hat tour (for future residents), and while the images are not on a publicly available site, the interiors are as nice as the exterior.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 3:57 AM

July 30 photo update on Mirabella's website:
www.mirabellaretirement.org/portland/2010/073010

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 5:28 PM

Immigration agency may build SW waterfront facility

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Immigr...100089344.html

They have a video at the link too.

by Randy Neves, KGW Staff

kgw.com

Posted on August 6, 2010 at 7:06 AM

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Immigration officials have revealed a plan to create holding cells in Portland's slowly up-and-coming South Waterfront neighborhood.

It's part of a nationwide plan to consolidate U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE.

Officials said they want to expand upon an existing commercial building in the South Waterfront District at SW Macadam Ave. and SW Bancroft St. The proposed building would house all the employees who currently work at two federal buildings in the city, including the old federal facility at 511 SW Broadway Ave. in the Pearl District.

Those facilities currently have holding cells for people suspected of violating customs and immigration rules. Those holding cells would transfer to the new South Waterfront location under this new plan.

"No one will be kept in these locations for more than 12 hours," said ICE spokesperson Lorie Dankers. "In no way is this a jail or a detention facility, rather it's a place where we can hold people for processing for a short period of time."

Before the three-story expansion would move forward, it must pass a public design review process. The federal government would have to prove that it was a good fit for the mixed-use neighborhood before it could gain permission to build.

The next public hearing for this plan happens September 23rd, 1:30 p. at 1900 SW 4th ave. on the 2nd floor.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 10:20 PM

I can't decide what development excites me the most, a jail in SOWA or tearing down Satyricon to put in another homeless shelter in Old Town. Awesomeness all around.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 4:13 PM

hello protesters.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Why would they be lifting Moody at that location? I understand that they're doing on the approach to the new TriMet bridge, but I'm pretty sure they're not doing anything much south of that...
They have to raise it north of SoWa. My guess is the person they quoted misread the project description. North of Gibbs I think is where they'll start lifting, up to near Sheridan Street.

I don't remember the whole thing, but something about environmental remediation and getting the area out of the flood plain before any development happens in addition to the future MAX/streetcar bridge.

The existing rail described as behind this building hasn't been listed as getting lifted in any of the Lake Oswego planning docs I've read.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2010, 10:57 PM

Did anyone go to the meeting last night regarding the new ICE (Homeland Security) building? I forgot about the meeting so I missed it. I am a little concerned that the SW Charter School is going in next door.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehogan View Post
They have to raise it north of SoWa. My guess is the person they quoted misread the project description. North of Gibbs I think is where they'll start lifting, up to near Sheridan Street.

I don't remember the whole thing, but something about environmental remediation and getting the area out of the flood plain before any development happens in addition to the future MAX/streetcar bridge.

The existing rail described as behind this building hasn't been listed as getting lifted in any of the Lake Oswego planning docs I've read.
The article is correct. SW moody is proposed to be extended south of Bancroft and is proposed to be raised by PBOT as part of the "south portal" project, which is supposed to improve auto access to the South Waterfront from the south. SW Moody would be raised 12-17' higher than the current trolley tracks in order to meet SW Macadam with just a 5% grade (versus whatever it is now).. The City had a conceptual engineering study on this project completed a few years ago, and just got money from Metro to continue the engineering work on it.

It's not a glamorous project for the city because it's all about the auto access, but the transportation staff seem to think it's pretty important to the continued success of the district. It includes double turn lanes at Bancroft and SW Hamilton Ct (I think).. might wanna double check with the City..

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 8:02 PM

Now I'm even more confused. So the article is correct that they're raising (and extending) Moody... but incorrect in that it has anything to do with the streetcar? And does it meet Bancroft at its current elevation? And if so, wouldn't that mean it had a negligible impact on this building?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 6:54 PM

August 31 update on Mirabella's website:
http://www.mirabellaretirement.org/p...nstruction.htm

Nice photos of Dolce Vita Bistro patio and the Terrace Garden.

Residents have begun moving in!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 4:55 PM

It looks fantastic. You know, i grew up in Portland, know that area well as i use to make deleiveries in that area, and i must say, the whole area is looking awesome. If i lived in Portland, that would be a great spot to live. I know the old areas are always popular for there history and ambience, but the newness of SW Waterfront is really appealing. That Park is lovely, and the architecture is really happening. I hope once things get going again, the buildout is completed. I know retail and service will thrive once again, and this area will become one of the most desirable in the country.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 4:56 AM

http://blog.oregonlive.com/business_...th_160_mi.html

OHSU moves forward with $160 million science complex on South Waterfront

Published: Thursday, September 09, 2010, 6:32 PM Updated: Thursday, September 09, 2010, 6:48 PM

Ted Sickinger, The Oregonian

The street car passes through Portland's South Waterfront

The Board of directors at Oregon Health & Science University voted Thursday to move forward with design and construction of a $160 million, 263,000-square-foot "life sciences collaborative complex" in Portland's South Waterfront.

The complex, sitting on land just south of the Marquam Bridge donated by the Schnitzer family, would allow OHSU to expand its medical, dentistry, nursing and physician assistant schools. It also will make room for the OSU pharmacy, UO psychology and PSU biology and chemistry programs.

OHSU will contibute $70 million to the construction budget, including $40 million in cash raised from an anonymous donor and $30 million in debt service on state issued revenue bonds. The university system will kick in another $30 million in debt service on the revenue bonds, and the State of Oregon will pay off $50 million in bonds from the general fund. TriMet will put up $10 million to build a transit station near the center.

The universities are seeking a private partner to help build out business incubator space in the complex. Construction is slated to begin in December 2011, with proposed completion in summer 2014. OHSU programs would occupy about half the building. OHSU officials say incremental tuition from additional students and recovery of reserch overhead would offset operating costs.

The OHSU board approval follows a similar vote in July by leaders of the Oregon University System.

-- Ted Sickinger

© 2010 OregonLive.com. All rights reserved.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 2:50 AM

Huge news. Too bad construction doesn't start for so long.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 4:55 AM

much more info, including a map, here.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 1:06 AM

Does anyone know if the Dolce Vita Bistro is open to the public? For some reason I had this idea that it was for residents only, but now there are signs up on the windows, so I wasn't sure.

Erin

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland