HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 7:44 AM

Nice work. So this is the first concrete evidence of the Zidell move that everyone's been talking about for years?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 6:26 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

^^^ Haven't you guys seen the clean up barges in the river? Last time I checked, there are 8 barges doing environmental cleanup. The entire west bank is being redone - contaminated dirt removed, cap soil & gravel placed over it. $20 million worth of work. There will definitely be some major work over the next few years.

Here's the article from February. I don't remember it being posted on this forum:

http://www.oregonlive.com/environmen...ental_nod.html

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 5:14 AM
PearlHelp.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
^^^ Haven't you guys seen the clean up barges in the river? Last time I checked, there are 8 barges doing environmental cleanup. The entire west bank is being redone - contaminated dirt removed, cap soil & gravel placed over it. $20 million worth of work. There will definitely be some major work over the next few years.

Here's the article from February. I don't remember it being posted on this forum:

http://www.oregonlive.com/environmen...ental_nod.html

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 5:16 AM
PearlHelp.com

8/29/11 Affordable Housing Update:

By shilorune96 at 2011-08-29

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 2:40 AM

OHSU Life Science

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 7:55 AM
shozbot!

Groundbreaking Set for Life Sciences Building

Project is first phase of Schnitzer Campus and OHSU Commons in South Waterfront

By Jim Redden
The Portland Tribune, Oct 10, 2011

http://portlandtribune.com/news/stor...01250811902000

A groundbreaking ceremony is set for Thursday morning for the OHS/OHSU Collaborative Life Sciences Building in South Waterfront.

The 500,000 square foot building is joint project between the Oregon University System and the Oregon Health & Sciences University. It will house programs from OHSU, Portland State University and Oregon State University under one roof. Goals include creating new employment opportunities by increasing partnerships between the three institutions, and expanding their teaching facilities, class sizes and research activities.

When the building opens in August 2013, it will include classrooms for PSU students. When the building is completed in the Spring of 2014, it will include lecture halls, labs, specialty research centers, the OHSU Center for Spatial Systems, OHSU School of Dentistry facilities, joint OSU-OHSU College of Pharmacy facilities, offices for health professionals and education programs from multiple institutions, and ground floor retail space.

When it is completed, the building will increase medical school classes from 120 to 160 students, increase dental school classes from 75 to 90 students, increase physician assistant program classes from 40 to 50 students, and provide enough capacity to increase pharmacy programs from 90 to 115 student.

The building will be locate on Southwest Moody Avenue just north of Bond Street, the new street being built to the transit bridge over the Willamette River that will be part of TriMet’s Portland to Milwaukie Light Rail Line. The building will also be served by the Portland Streetcar line over the bridge to the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry.

The building is also the first phase of the satellite campus OHSU is planning to build on approximately 26 acres donated to the teaching hospital by Portland’s Schnitzer family. The Schnitzer Campus and OHSU Commons will include new streets, parking, utilities, open space, pedestrian connections, and approximately two million square feet of building area at full build-out.

Budgeted at $295 million, the building is being funded by a public-private partnership that includes $110 million from state bonds, $92 million from OHSU institutional funding, $83 million from OHSU philanthropy and $10 million from TriMet.

OHSU has also build the Center for Health and Wellness in South Waterfront at the eastern end of the aerial tram that connects to its facilities on Marquam Hill.

The groundbreaking ceremony is set to begin at 10 a.m. Scheduled speakers include OUS Chancellor George Pernsteiner. OHSU President Joseph Robertson, PSU President Wim Wiewel, OSU President Edward Ray, a representative of the Schnitzer family and a student.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 8:41 PM

Looks impressive. I'd love to see some renderings up-close and from different perspectives.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 11:10 PM

From what I understand, the taller portion is "Phase 2". Only the shorter tower is being built now. Unless plans have changed.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 2:57 PM
shozbot!

More from OHSU on the Life Sciences Building and two more images:

http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/about/vision/clsb.cfm

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 5:58 PM

Wow did they really put the MAX line platforms in the middle of the street so people have to cross to get there? If so absolutely idiotic. What, did the lack of auto access on the bridge make the designers uncomfortable. Got to find a way to make them an issue for transit users? Add in the changing the Streetcars from having the full ROW and mixing it back in with traffic and you have to wonder what exactly the goal is? Are they trying to make it difficult for transit? You have to actually try hard to get this kind of bad planning.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
Wow did they really put the MAX line platforms in the middle of the street so people have to cross to get there? If so absolutely idiotic. What, did the lack of auto access on the bridge make the designers uncomfortable. Got to find a way to make them an issue for transit users? Add in the changing the Streetcars from having the full ROW and mixing it back in with traffic and you have to wonder what exactly the goal is? Are they trying to make it difficult for transit? You have to actually try hard to get this kind of bad planning.
If I interpreted the tri met station renderings on their site correctly that station is going to be transit only so there will be no cars interfering with people crossing the street to get to the max / streetcar stop.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
The project has two distinct parts that will be completed simultaneously.
Looks like the tower is being built concurrently with the smaller building(s).

I see that Sera is partially credited for the design, along with CO. Does anyone know what the arrangement is for this one? I remember one of you being quite upset about Sera getting credit for the Fed building when another firm was actually the lead designer or something... looks like a compelling design here so I'm assuming it's the same sort of deal this time around...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
looks like a compelling design here so I'm assuming it's the same sort of deal this time around...
i especially like the shorter tower. it reminds me of the caltrans building.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 3:33 AM
PearlHelp.com

Quote:
Well, if I understand correctly, the new on-street alignment for the streetcar is necessary because the light-rail will be placed where the off-street alignment is currently. They might have been able to fit both the streetcar & light-rail in that same area, but it would've been a clutter mess of tracks? Would you agree?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 3:54 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Pic courtesy of PSU [pdx.edu]

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Clearly it has been decided that 4 lanes are needed on the approach to the bridge: one in each direction for the MAX; and one in each direction for the buses streetcar. If you didn't have this, then whenever the MAX stops at the station, it would hold up the buses and streetcar. Also, the streetcar can't stop at MAX platforms. It could probably run through without stopping, but I think that would be pretty bad design. The MAX platforms could be on the outside of the street, but then you'd need bus/streetcar platforms in the middle. I really don't see what the issue is, but maybe you'd like to explain how you would have done it differently.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 6:54 AM

Quote:
If you think about this for more than a few minutes, I'm confident you wouldn't find the design "idiotic". If you move light rail to the edge of the street, you would have very tight turns for the light rail coming off the bridge and back onto the path toward downtown. These turns would require more room and make the project even more costly. Tight tracks squeak, require slower speeds and require more frequent maintenance on top of that, so are typically avoided if not necessary.

Given that two lanes of transit are necessary for each direction, the center platforms help reduce the length of crosswalks. As someone else already mentioned, does it matter if light rail is in the center or the side of the street when it's all transit? I see this stop as being similar to the conditions on NE Holladay with the eastbound platforms in the center of the street. The crosswalk distance is so minimal, it's one of the most comfortable streets to cross in town.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 4:56 PM

If its ALL transit then I'm ok with it. The original renderings made it appear as if they stuffed some car lanes in between the buildings and transit stations. As for the streetcar its now going to be a cluttered street. I think any opportunity to give transit a leg up on speed should be paramount. Starting neighborhood from basically scratch the opportunity was there to give the streetcar so much needed speed.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 6:31 PM
shozbot!

Photo courtesy of O.U.S.

Is this the original concept for the Life Sciences Building, or for another building altogether?

At any rate, I'm glad to see construction at this entire site, including the new bridge.....getting people back to work!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 10:11 PM
momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCtyRoks View Post

Photo courtesy of O.U.S.

Is this the original concept for the Life Sciences Building, or for another building altogether?

At any rate, I'm glad to see construction at this entire site, including the new bridge.....getting people back to work!
same program (w/o Dental school), but this was the Perkins + Will uber expensive solution.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland