HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 5:11 PM

Changing a name will not make a huge impact, after all, it's just a name. Sooner or later people will know that's just a re branding gimmick. The better question to ask is how to change the neighbourhood itself. Now that is the difficult task which we will not discuss here since that's a whole different topic. The name Whalley and whatever negative connotation it has will stick for now but that does not mean it will never change. It will take time and progress for the name to take on a different meaning.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 6:53 PM

The only rebranding I like was renaming Surrey Place Mall to Central City Shopping Centre

Miss the 80's SoCred colour scheme of SPM though

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Whalley is kind of like Sears, it's damaged haha
Nowhere is safe

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 4:04 AM

I've lived in Whalley my whole life and don't think they should change the name.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 10:04 PM

Quite honestly there is a certain historical connection with the area being referred to as Whalley; so I respect that they aren't trying to pretend it's anything else. I don't think that they are trying to re-brand Whalley or whatever, I think that they are trying to re-define it.

Remember, a neighbourhood can have a history; 30 years from now we could all be talking about that time when things in Whalley were really bad and now they're not.

Obviously I love the project and I think it's great.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 10:25 PM

This project received 3rd reading / prelim approval last night. A big turn out of support for it as a catalyst to kick-start revitalization of this part of City Centre.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 5:28 AM

CBC article about this development:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ject-1.4180293

By the way, I'm sick to death of Yaletown as marketing terminology. Evidently, the people of Greater Vancouver are so lacking in imagination that they can't come up with a better standard bearer neighbourhood. As hip and upscale neighbourhoods go, Yaletown wouldn't crack my top 300.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 5:31 AM

I remember reading articles about the Station Square redevelopment a few years ago. It was also characterized as trying to emulate Yaletown. Sigh.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 5:41 AM

Cringeworthy comparison.. Yaletown is the revitalized turn of the century industrial blocks along Mainland and Hamilton streets. Distinct character.

Towers above restaurant/retail podiums are a dime a dozen in cities everywhere.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
I remember reading articles about the Station Square redevelopment a few years ago. It was also characterized as trying to emulate Yaletown. Sigh.
To be fair:
Quote:
The strip along Silver Drive where the second and third towers will be, will become “restaurant row” where, taking a cue from Yaletown’s use of old loading bays, restaurants will feature patios about 18 inches higher than the pedestrian walkway to create interaction and activity on the street

Burnaby's Station Square begins major transformation
That's hardly describing the whole thing as Yaletown.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 7:42 PM

It's been approved. Expected to take 10 years to fully develop it

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 7:58 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Quattro also used Yaletown references heavily in their marketing. My brother lived there and it was awful.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Quattro also used Yaletown references heavily in their marketing. My brother lived there and it was awful.
I'm with most on here on discouraging the Yaletown comparisons and references.

If I wanted to live in a noisy, congested neighbourhood that lacked parks and outdoor spaces, sports and recreational facilities, and an easy escape route from Metro Vancouver, I would have purchased a condo in Yaletown.

Whalley is Whalley. IMO, developers should not try and create a south of the Fraser version of Yaletown. It won't work.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 8:31 PM
See ya down under, mates

lol

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
What issues did your brother have there?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 10:48 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
What issues did your brother have there?
Rampant drug use, theft, his neighbour below him was murdered, etc. And that was when it was new.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 7:16 PM

Another rendering:

Surrey council approves ‘iconic’ highrise project that aims to revitalize Whalley
http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...talize-whalley

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...talize-whalley

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Rampant drug use, theft, his neighbour below him was murdered, etc. And that was when it was new.
Quattro or Yaletown?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryHolmes View Post
Quattro or Yaletown?
Look at the poster, he is talking about Quattro.

That said, it doesn't entirely surprise me. I know on block watch I've had discussion with a few of the members whose buildings or properties are around Quattro, and it is still very rough and the drug use is quite visible. There's a reason articles like the above ^^ pointedly say "aims to revitalize" or "transform" and the likes. If things are all peachy glory you wouldn't need to say that. Gateway and area is still rough by Canadian standards and has a long way to go especially with the Opiate crisis going on throughout North America.

That said, and I'm sure people will say I'm being defensive but it is the truth, drug issues are happening everywhere not just in Surrey or Whalley and those that think it is are just ignoring the truth and not helping with a solution. My wife just last week walked from Waterfront to the False Creek Yacht club along Granville street (she works downtown) with 3 colleagues on a nice summer Friday afternoon, and they witnessed 9 people along the way actively shooting up with needles in their arms right on the sidewalk, on Granville. Two of her colleagues are from South America and they were actually shocked and made comments to the effect of "drug use is so out in the open in Vancouver not just 'acceptable' drugs like pot, but people shooting up on regular roads in the middle of the day."

It is happening everywhere and it is sad to see. Wish I had a solution.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 12:22 AM
See ya down under, mates

"The poster" can talk about problems in neighbourhoods without seeing it as a personal attack. Some of y'all might want to try it one day. I criticize and compliment things across the region but only Surrey posters get all riled up about it.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 1:44 AM

Quote:
"The poster" can talk about problems in neighbourhoods without seeing it as a personal attack. Some of y'all might want to try it one day. I criticize and compliment things across the region but only Surrey posters get all riled up about it.
As an ex-North Vancouverite, with one fit still firmly in the District of North Van, I can say with some confidence, North Vancouverites probably have the thinnest skin in Greater Vancouver.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley