HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 5:50 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Maybe the solution, seeing that this situation will not change anytime soon, would be to actually create a dedicated thread for Toronto's proposals and another one for the rest of the country. This way, if someone is interested in finding out what goes on outside Toronto, they could do it more quickly and easily. Just a suggestion.
That could work. Also, when I'm trying to find out about a specific project or city I just look in the diagrams or maps section. I only use this or other compilation threads when i just want to see whatever happens to be happening where ever it might be. When you find projects in the maps or diagrams section it also links to the project thread in the development section. So there's a few different options available.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 6:32 PM
I am the law!

That may be necessary but I hate that idea.

Alternatives to singling out a metro

Concerted effort to not repost Toronto area proposals
A dedicated site prep/advancement thread

And, the one that may have the most impact as Toronto proposals get more attention
A separate rendering thread plus this one.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
That may be necessary but I hate that idea.

Alternatives to singling out a metro

Concerted effort to not repost Toronto area proposals
A dedicated site prep/advancement thread
Part of the reason why Toronto proposals flood this page is just the facts: Toronto just has so many more proposals than other cities, and they’re meticulously documented on UT.

But I also sympathize with posters from other cities because a lot of proposals in Toronto get resubmitted, revised, work their way through the approvals process, which in Toronto could involve so many milestones like site plan approval, being submitted to the OLT, etc, and every time a milestone is cleared the same proposal is reposted to this thread.

And, beyond that, a lot of Toronto proposals go nowhere. A lot of them are just zoning flips. A lot of them are approved but don’t proceed to construction.

I agree with having a separate thread where site prep is the threshold for posting. If you did, you’d drastically cut down the number of Toronto proposals to just the ones that will be built as rendered.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
part of the reason why toronto proposals flood this page is just the facts: Toronto just has so many more proposals than other cities, and they’re meticulously documented on ut.

But i also sympathize with posters from other cities because a lot of proposals in toronto get resubmitted, revised, work their way through the approvals process, which in toronto could involve so many milestones like site plan approval, being submitted to the olt, etc, and every time a milestone is cleared the same proposal is reposted to this thread.

And, beyond that, a lot of toronto proposals go nowhere. A lot of them are just zoning flips. A lot of them are approved but don’t proceed to construction.

I agree with having a separate thread where site prep is the threshold for posting. If you did, you’d drastically cut down the number of toronto proposals to just the ones that will be built as rendered.

+1

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 8:30 PM

Would that not just trickle down to other cities as well? Other cities would then have to post the same way as well which would defeat the purpose. Toronto will still dominate in sub forums, there is no way to get around it other then just creating a ROC thread and a separate Toronto thread but nobody would want that.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 8:43 PM

I for one wouldn't mind separating the cities out. Just like there's different pages for the skylines maybe there could be one for proposals too - i.e. big city proposals (TOR, MTL, VAN) and medium city proposals.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 3:15 AM
Ham-burgher

I'm not sure there's a solution to this, other than to suck it up and either post more updates for other cities or for readers to ignore/gloss-over the Toronto summaries. E.g., if there's a not-Toronto thread, will there be posts that say things like "this one in Ottawa/Edmonton/where-ever is so much like THIS building in Toronto"? And then Toronto pics ensue.

We have two skyline threads and the one to "post some pictures of your city" but I find they tend to bleed into each other. And the local sub-forums factor in as well.

And as we often see, thread intentions and content change as conversations evolve. There's nothing wrong with that, but without much moderator vigilance and intervention, I think separate proposal threads are doomed to fail. One of the great things about this forum, to me, is the light-touch the moderators tend to have and I'd not want to see that change.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 2:31 PM
I am the law!

Proposals are interesting but, I don't take as much stock in them as other do. The construction thread is more balanced with occasional representation from cities that no longer appear in this proposal thread. Still, extract the GTA updates and the construction thread is a massive failure with no more than 1 in 5 high rises being built getting any coverage

I hate the idea of splitting these threads. It might be a necessity to increase coverage however, I feel the success rate of it working longer term will be low.

I have an obsessive compulsion for complete sets. That includes a complete list of built Canadian high rises. I think I have that narrowed down to new construction and demolition. More updates, the better

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 3:28 PM

After this I'll try and avoid posting in the thread until the latest round of complaints are sorted and a new strategy appears. Hope that helps (remain bewildered by this website's name ;-).

240 Adelaide West | 219m | 63s | Freed | AS + GG l sales centre u/c

This got a 20 metre haircut from the city (down to 199m/60s) but they've resubmitted back to the original 219m height along and added a 117 room hotel. New renderings:

MessiGoat

MessiGoat

MessiGoat

34 Maitland | 183m | 56s | Hazelview | Turner Fleischer l pre-construction

This one has been resubmitted 5 storeys shorter with a greater setback from the retained heritage elements.

UT

UT

UT

494 Richmond East | 119m | 35s | 2073628 Ontario Limited | Sweeny &Co l pre-construction

A zig-zag land assembly but good news that all these residential units are proposed to be rentals (not sure what the affordable percentage is).

UT

UT

Last edited by Maldive; Nov 8, 2023 at 4:35 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
After this I'll try and avoid posting in the thread until the latest round of complaints are sorted and a new strategy appears. Hope that helps (remain bewildered by this website's name ;-).

240 Adelaide West | 199m | 60s | Freed | AS + GG l sales centre u/c

Even though this got a 20 metre haircut from the city, thanks to a small footprint this still soars. New renderings:

This is a nice surprise, how many versions before this have we seen? It's got a very Chicago 80's vibe.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 4:00 PM

Here's a suggestion:

My personal metric for a Skyscraper is 150 metres or taller.

How about a thread for "Skyscraper Proposals (150m+)"

Though it would likely still be dominated by Toronto proposals... it can of course be ignored and still capture the skyscraper missing middle between Proposals and Tallest Proposals.

So something like 240 Adelaide posted above would land in the Skyscraper Proposals thread.

This ought to de-clutter the Proposals thread quite a bit ... a thread called Skyscraper Proposals on a website called SkyscraperPage seems reasonable no?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 8:02 PM

Quote:
34 Maitland | 183m | 56s | Hazelview | Turner Fleischer l pre-construction

I haven't seen this one before and I like it.

It's giving off 90s PoMo vibes, but at heights we never saw in 90s PoMo residential outside of Manhattan or Chicago.

I appreciate the form, the symmetry and the materials.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I haven't seen this one before and I like it.

It's giving off 90s PoMo vibes, but at heights we never saw in 90s PoMo residential outside of Manhattan or Chicago.

I appreciate the form, the symmetry and the materials.
I also appreciate the accented rectangular columns between the podium and cantilever, as opposed to the oversized round concrete columns which have become a signature of slap-dash condo developments of the past decade.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 3:47 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Here's a suggestion:

My personal metric for a Skyscraper is 150 metres or taller.

How about a thread for "Skyscraper Proposals (150m+)"

Though it would likely still be dominated by Toronto proposals... it can of course be ignored and still capture the skyscraper missing middle between Proposals and Tallest Proposals.

So something like 240 Adelaide posted above would land in the Skyscraper Proposals thread.

This ought to de-clutter the Proposals thread quite a bit ... a thread called Skyscraper Proposals on a website called SkyscraperPage seems reasonable no?
I think you have something here!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 12:57 PM

I agree, lets do it, break off the high-rise portion of this. So This proposal page we are currentley on would be any proposal up to 149.9m, anything taller would go into the highrise proposal page.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 8:40 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
This is a nice surprise, how many versions before this have we seen? It's got a very Chicago 80's vibe.
Reminds me of the MB board game 'Presidential Hotels'.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 7:04 AM

https://engage.calgary.ca/riverwalkwest

Calgary’s Riverwalk West competition winner was announced today.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 1:25 PM

This one is just short of the 150m list in Hamilton, being 147m tall. New Tallest for the city recommended for approval at council by planning staff - we'll have to see if they approve it.

Interestingly, although it's 20 metres taller than the city's existing tallest building, it will sit at an elevation exactly 20 metres lower.. meaning that geodetically it will be the same height.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 4:34 PM

[QUOTE=Innsertnamehere;10077230]This one is just short of the 150m list in Hamilton, being 147m tall. New Tallest for the city recommended for approval at council by planning staff - we'll have to see if they approve it.

Interestingly, although it's 20 metres taller than the city's existing tallest building, it will sit at an elevation exactly 20 metres lower.. meaning that geodetically it will be the same height.

Last time I was down here the neighbourhood was awash with "Stop the Tower" signs... bet there's a very loud NIMBY voice trying to nix approval of the tower.

I also noticed almost all the infrastructure for the project is already largely in place (streets, mini-piazza and promenades on the water etc)... surrounding vacant land.

Hope they at least start on the mid-rise community elements (designed by KMPB I think). Could be great.

Below, probably the only thing I've even liked from Kirkor (not that it will turn out like the renders lol).

Reside on Richmond | 59.9m | 18s | Originate | Kirkor Architects l pre-construction

Raptors star Scotty Barnes lending his name to this along with input on a state-of-the-art sports simulator room and a promise he’ll live here lol. With Scotty’s name attached… presumably the retail space will be occupied by SUBWAY ;-).

UT

UT

UT

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 2:46 AM
Urban Fanactic

New 108 Unit Apartment building being built in Sault Ste. Marie at 110 Pim Street. First render I've seen of this building.

Sits on the former site of Tara Hall apartments.
Quote:
Tara Hall was the oldest apartment building in Sault Ste. Marie when fire struck on Nov. 2, 1987. It was boarded up and left vacant, eventually leaving behind only the foundation.
Source: https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/...-hotel-7811305

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada