HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 12:01 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

interesting map of internet in manitoba

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 3:08 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

I know that LES.net functions as a 'backbone' to the rest of the Internet.

But what do the other nodes do?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 9:28 PM

^Don't really know much about internet tech, but my brother in law bought the new Apple Watch Series 3. He wanted it exclusively because it has cellular built in so you can use it without having your phone... He just returned it because NONE of the cellular networks in Manitoba are compatible with the signal it requires, and we're the ONLY province that can't do it.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
^Don't really know much about internet tech, but my brother in law bought the new Apple Watch Series 3. He wanted it exclusively because it has cellular built in so you can use it without having your phone... He just returned it because NONE of the cellular networks in Manitoba are compatible with the signal it requires, and we're the ONLY province that can't do it.
I thought MTS could handle the Apple Watch...(and the only one in Manitoba able to)?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It's not available in SK either. Currently its only on Bell (outside SK and MB). It's coming to Telus soon.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 11:30 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Macdon sold to Linamar for $1.2B.

http://www.linamar.com/sites/default...%2014dec17.pdf

Last edited by Riverman; Dec 14, 2017 at 11:43 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
MacDon is a very "quite" company in Winnipeg, employs 1400'ish employees. good for the family, hope they continue to keep their HQ in 'Peg city

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 2:37 PM

^ For such a big company, it's staggering how low of a profile they keep around here. I'd wager that most Winnipeggers wouldn't know they even exist.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ For such a big company, it's staggering how low of a profile they keep around here. I'd wager that most Winnipeggers wouldn't know they even exist.
I've toured parts of their business as we have similar "systems" and dosome knowledge sharing they are a fairly big player in the Ag business.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 5:15 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
They are the most employee focused company I know of, they do a huge amount for their employees. They don't need to have a high profile locally as their products are the best in the world and market themselves.

I think every student I've had with a farming background went there after college.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 5:38 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wonder what the family will do next?

theres lots of interesting companies lurking in manitoba that build and have products that sell them selfs like Ktek industries out by Rosenort or that otherone i forget the name of thats over several acres right in town

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
They are the most employee focused company I know of, they do a huge amount for their employees. They don't need to have a high profile locally as their products are the best in the world and market themselves.

I think every student I've had with a farming background went there after college.
I sure hope the new owners will keep that culture. It will be interesting to see if these operations grow or diminish here over time. I teach English to immigrants from time to time and a few of them ended up at Macdon. they seem to be good at integrating newcomers.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 2:19 PM

Adrenalin adventures has gone bankrupt. I knew something was up during summer when they were not fixing their wakeboard cable park and that was their core business. You can't make a living off a climbing wall. too bad as we were planning on going snowtubing over the vacation break. in the fall they added a wicked looking paintball area, unless that was a different company on their premises

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 4:04 PM

^I just don't understand this. Winnipeggers always like to complain that there's nothing to do here, but yet a business like this can't succeed. It's like the dream of the indoor waterpark. It's a no brainer for Winnipeg with our long winters, but there seems to be no business case for it. Very strange. We like to complain about wanting nice stuff, but maybe we're too cheap to actually pay to use the nice stuff?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
^I just don't understand this. Winnipeggers always like to complain that there's nothing to do here, but yet a business like this can't succeed. It's like the dream of the indoor waterpark. It's a no brainer for Winnipeg with our long winters, but there seems to be no business case for it. Very strange. We like to complain about wanting nice stuff, but maybe we're too cheap to actually pay to use the nice stuff?
We also just shove our heads in the sand.

Despite how obvious it has become to so many, a lot of people will still complain of nowhere good to eat despite the many great restaurants and bars, that the forks sucks because of bad parking (I've never had an issue), how flat it is despite Adrenaline Adventures offering an alternative for activity and our nature around us offering great camping/fishing/exploring, etc...

Many just don't open their eyes, never mind look around a little.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 6:19 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Is it possible that this place just wasn't that great?

I went last winter to tube down the hill, and it was just OK.

This is a difficult kind of operation to run successfully IMO. To do it right, it needs to look top notch and be able to attract customers willing to fork out big money.

To me, it just looked kind of shambled together (winter or summer) and the quality did not reflect the price IMO.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 6:25 PM

Not sure where to post this one.

There are plans available of Park City Common on Plessis, the former City east yard. Lots of parking lots. This proposal used to be numerous large residential buildings in a sea of parking lots. Looks like it changed to retail and residential. Still tons of asphalt.

My point was, a No Frills is going in there.

Item 2 at the link.
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/View...onId=&InitUrl=

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Is it possible that this place just wasn't that great?

I went last winter to tube down the hill, and it was just OK.

This is a difficult kind of operation to run successfully IMO. To do it right, it needs to look top notch and be able to attract customers willing to fork out big money.

To me, it just looked kind of shambled together (winter or summer) and the quality did not reflect the price IMO.
You could be right, maybe it just wasn't that great. I just thought that a place like this, or a waterpark, could be a great thing in Winnipeg, but for some reason, it hasn't happened. It seems like people in Winnipeg want more fun things to do, but it doesn't seem to work as a business?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 6:41 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

agreed was there once didnt think much of the place seemed half ass put together

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 6:57 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
You could be right, maybe it just wasn't that great. I just thought that a place like this, or a waterpark, could be a great thing in Winnipeg, but for some reason, it hasn't happened. It seems like people in Winnipeg want more fun things to do, but it doesn't seem to work as a business?
For businesses like this to thrive - it needs to be a destination.

This particular place tried to the slow build approach, by starting small and adding amenities. It didn't work, and I think it comes down mostly to aesthetics. It looked like a mud bowl in the summer, and just overall not well kept up.

For amusement type facilities, you need to invest a ton of money up front.

The reality is the tubing hill was just slightly taller than going tobogganing (for free) off the nearby Wilkes overpass bridge.

Can't speak for the wake-boarding aspect, but that is one of those activities that if you are in to it, means you likely have access to the real thing. Difficult to compete with that here in MB.

Rock climbing? dunno. It's kind of a lagging trend that is never going to take off much here IMO. And a difficult one to charge people a lot of money for the privilege to do it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan