HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5581  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 12:51 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is online now
Blacque Jacque Shellacque
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vieux Canada
Posts: 38,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
for Montreal old-timers
Video Link
Video Link


yes, this was regularly broadcast (for years) on network TV in the Montreal Area:

Video Link
Ha ha good old Ralph Lockwood. I used to watch Hi! Noon with him on CFCF.

I had no idea until well after his career ended that he was actually from the U.S. (At least I think I heard that.)
__________________
C'est ça qui est ça.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5582  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 1:56 PM
Proof Sheet Proof Sheet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Ha ha good old Ralph Lockwood. I used to watch Hi! Noon with him on CFCF.

I had no idea until well after his career ended that he was actually from the U.S. (At least I think I heard that.)
Well that Bar-B-Barn ad could run on french and english channels. Any ads for Orange Julus or Buffet Marahaj
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5583  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 11:35 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam/Rainbow Lake
Posts: 33,255
Sunrise Records buys failing HMV in deal that will save 100 stores and 1,487 jobs

HMV, Britain's best known record store chain, has been hit by competition from online rivals and music streaming services

Reuters
February 5, 2019


HMV, the British music retailer that collapsed after Christmas, has been sold to the owner of Canada’s Sunrise Records in a deal that will save 100 stores and 1,487 jobs, its joint administrators said on Tuesday.

Sunrise Records CEO Doug Putman said he was delighted to acquire “the most iconic music and entertainment business in the UK,” and would aim to replicate his company’s success in Canada.

...

https://business.financialpost.com/n...unrise-records
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5584  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 2:33 AM
dreambrother808 dreambrother808 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,335
Vancouver finally getting a flagship Apple Store?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
The revised version of the Rotunda replacement is now on the City of Vancouver website. Moved around, and even more open than the first version. From the Changing City blog.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5585  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 3:59 AM
youngregina's Avatar
youngregina youngregina is offline
Edan
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Victoria Park, Calgary
Posts: 920
Scotch & Soda has shuttered their two Alberta locations, Chinook Centre and WestEd. I am devastated, because it is my favourite clothing store, and was initially hoping they were just renovating the stores, but it doesn't look like that
__________________
#YYC
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5586  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 4:54 AM
osirisboy's Avatar
osirisboy osirisboy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 5,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngregina View Post
Scotch & Soda has shuttered their two Alberta locations, Chinook Centre and WestEd. I am devastated, because it is my favourite clothing store, and was initially hoping they were just renovating the stores, but it doesn't look like that
Really? It looks ridiculous. 200-300 for a hoodie? No thx!

Edit: checking their website and some of their sale item prices are ok.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5587  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 5:41 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam/Rainbow Lake
Posts: 33,255
its not that bad for that level, its not a cheap brand.
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5588  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 3:51 PM
osirisboy's Avatar
osirisboy osirisboy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 5,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
its not that bad for that level, its not a cheap brand.
What level? A sweatshirt is a sweatshirt. So you're justifying the price for a label? That's just dumb
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5589  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 8:17 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam/Rainbow Lake
Posts: 33,255
Payless shut down a bunch of shoes in 2017. There is no mention of Canada in this announcement, but do we still have payless in Canada?

Payless ShoeSource to close remaining 2,100 stores in U.S.
ASSOCIATED PRESS Updated: February 15, 2019

NEW YORK — Payless ShoeSource is shuttering all of its 2,100 remaining stores in the U.S. and Puerto Rico, joining a list of iconic names like Toys R Us and Bon-Ton that have closed down in the last year.

The Topeka, Kansas-based chain said Friday it will hold liquidation sales starting Sunday and wind down its e-commerce operations. All of the stores will remain open until at least the end of March and the majority will remain open until May.

The debt-burdened chain filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in April 2017, closing hundreds of stores as part of its reorganization.

...

https://montrealgazette.com/business...6-733b9205455e
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5590  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 10:07 PM
casper casper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Payless shut down a bunch of shoes in 2017. There is no mention of Canada in this announcement, but do we still have payless in Canada?

Payless ShoeSource to close remaining 2,100 stores in U.S.
ASSOCIATED PRESS Updated: February 15, 2019

NEW YORK — Payless ShoeSource is shuttering all of its 2,100 remaining stores in the U.S. and Puerto Rico, joining a list of iconic names like Toys R Us and Bon-Ton that have closed down in the last year.

The Topeka, Kansas-based chain said Friday it will hold liquidation sales starting Sunday and wind down its e-commerce operations. All of the stores will remain open until at least the end of March and the majority will remain open until May.

The debt-burdened chain filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in April 2017, closing hundreds of stores as part of its reorganization.

...

https://montrealgazette.com/business...6-733b9205455e
Yes. There is one in Brentwood mall. (Likely others in other parts of the country). It sounded like the Canadian operations were not impacted.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5591  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 2:38 AM
softee's Avatar
softee softee is offline
Aimless Wanderer
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Downtown Toronto
Posts: 3,081
I noticed work has started on a new retail store at the former HMV flagship location at Yonge and Dundas. Anyone know what it is?
__________________
Public transit is the lifeblood of every healthy city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5592  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 6:45 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam/Rainbow Lake
Posts: 33,255
looks like Canadian stores will close as well

Payless seeks creditor protection, plans to close stores in U.S. and Canada

Chain has 2,500 locations across North America, including 248 in Canada
Pete Evans · CBC News · Posted: Feb 19, 2019 1:19 PM ET

Quote:
The company has 248 locations across Canada, employing 2,400 , and court documents suggest they collectively lost $12 million US last year.

The stores "are insolvent and are unable to meet their liabilities as they become due," court documents suggest.
...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/pay..._lJ6t8ho1FVWqQ
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5593  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 11:32 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 6,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
looks like Canadian stores will close as well

Payless seeks creditor protection, plans to close stores in U.S. and Canada

Chain has 2,500 locations across North America, including 248 in Canada
Pete Evans · CBC News · Posted: Feb 19, 2019 1:19 PM ET



...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/pay..._lJ6t8ho1FVWqQ
The one at the Target infill in St Albert Mall is only a couple of years old.
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5594  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 11:35 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 6,076
Family Firm London Drugs Buys Edmonton Based McBain Camera.

Talking with Staff, LD is going to keep it as a separate store. But use their distribution system. They were also given the option of becoming LD employees or stay with the new company. Happy they are not going to change to much. I pretty much have always used McBains. Will be picking up a new camera next week from them.
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5595  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 2:00 AM
trebor204's Avatar
trebor204 trebor204 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 624
HBC shutting down Home Outfitters, while closing about 20 Sask Offs 5th in the States.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/hbc...ters-1.5028740
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5596  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 3:05 AM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 8,497
HBC have done some absolutely terrible purchasing decisions over the last decade. Lord & Taylor and Saks were dumb moves.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5597  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 3:14 AM
Loco101's Avatar
Loco101 Loco101 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Timmins, Northern Ontario
Posts: 3,074
It's too bad that it's Americans running HBC. They are driving it into the ground.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5598  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 9:32 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam/Rainbow Lake
Posts: 33,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
What level? A sweatshirt is a sweatshirt. So you're justifying the price for a label? That's just dumb
that's how fashion works.

A Marc by Marc Jacobs hoodie will sell for $300. It will be 100% cotton made in China. A Marc Jacobs Hoodie will be $3000, 100% cotton made in Italy. I remember this comparison from a few years ago in San Francisco. The $3000 one felt really soft but they looked the same, both were navy. One was a secondary line one was the mainline brand.
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5599  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 11:24 AM
niwell's Avatar
niwell niwell is offline
sick transit, gloria
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Greenside, Johannesburg
Posts: 8,353
When you get to the higher end you certainly are paying for the label, but the quality is much higher. Not enough to justify the price tag for the average consumer, of course. At the lower end a $300 sweater from a good label will probably be of much higher quality than whatever you can find for $50 or less.

That being said I buy the majority of my clothes from Frank & Oak or random one-offs I see at local stores. The single most expensive piece of clothing I own is likely some dress shoes I impulse bought at a local designer's store. My winter coat was technically priced higher but I got it at the closing sale of another local designer who moved to online / wholesale only. Both were far shy of anything in the 4 digits.
__________________
Check out my pics of Johannesburg
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5600  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 1:26 AM
isaidso isaidso is offline
The New Republic
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Provinces of America
Posts: 9,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
that's how fashion works.

A Marc by Marc Jacobs hoodie will sell for $300. It will be 100% cotton made in China. A Marc Jacobs Hoodie will be $3000, 100% cotton made in Italy. I remember this comparison from a few years ago in San Francisco. The $3000 one felt really soft but they looked the same, both were navy. One was a secondary line one was the mainline brand.
They're for people who never look at the price tag. If they like it they buy it. I do appreciate quality/cut but Reigning Champ hoodies are about as pricey as I'll go. I like their austere stores but think they need to make them more inviting. They don't exactly say 'come inside' to a passerby.

Boxing inspired clothing from Vancouver based Reigning Champ

Courtesy of urbanretailtoronto
__________________
World's First Documented Baseball Game: Beachville, Ontario, June 4th, 1838.
World's First Documented Gridiron Game: University College, Toronto, November 9th, 1861.
Hamilton Tiger-Cats since 1869 & Toronto Argonauts since 1873: North America's 2 oldest pro football teams
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:21 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.