HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Unfortunately not only do we have to contend with proximity to the USA and it's "let's untax ourselves to mediocrity and bankruptcy" mentality, but we now have many new Canadians from the developing world who think that because they didn't pay much/any tax in the hellhole they escaped from that this should work in Canada. It doesn't.

We aspire to a living standard of Scandinavia/Western Europe and should compare our tax rates accordingly.
Really? We're blaming immigrants for wanting a low taxes now? You might want to check the dominant race of those yellow jacket protesters in Canada. Or the Point Grey School Tax protesters. Most of the people calling for low taxes are likely old-stock Canadian MAGA hat wearers in polite company.

Sheesh whatnext you're becoming more and more transparent with every post you make. "hellhole countries"? Your tiresome rhetoric sounds suspiciously like the right-wing MAGA retards you seem to despise. Perhaps you have much more in common with them than you think?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
So what is the plan for old people?

Soylent green?
Ice floes?
Senicide, then we use their flesh to make Soylent green.

pinimg

giphy

Last edited by MolsonExport; Feb 6, 2019 at 8:17 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
I have a theory that I'd like to propose. Of course its open to modification. Please read the research below I use to base this theory on. I am going to be quite radical and of course I don't fully believe in what I'm saying, I'm only making a proposal for consideration.

Government Revenues 2016-2017

Government Expenses 2016-2017

Reliance on Income Tax 1917-2017

So I set out to figure out a way we can reduce income taxes in Canada. Lets be honest, wages are increasing but its too slow. None of us seem to be making enough so that we feel satisfied. But, the average person is paying around 30% of their wage in income taxes. Of this, around 20% goes to the federal government. So what is the best way we could increase wages fast? Reducing this 20%. I think an extra 20% would help everyone a lot.

So long-term I propose that we seek to achieve a large reduction in income taxes on the middle class. Now income taxes are half of federal revenues. So by every 1% I lower federal expenses I can lower income taxes by 2%.

First, I propose we cut spending and repay our debt. That's 15% of our income taxes gone. Second is elderly benefits. I propose over the next 20-30 years we cut these to 0. Thats a 31% decrease in income taxes. Lets then cut the new $5 billion to First Nations (thats ontop of other spending so we'd just be funding them according to 2016ish numbers) which saves us another 6%. So were at a 51% decrease in income taxes now. Lets cut children's benefits (benefits to families that have children). This brings us another 14%.

Ok so I got to a 65% decrease in income taxes. I think with this decrease we could lower income taxes on the middle class by around 80% if we only reduce the brackets that hit the middle class? I'm sure its not as easy as I've made it out to be and we couldn't cut as much as I would like, but we should at least try some cuts? Even a 10% reduction in income taxes means the middle classes wages would rise by 2-3%.

What do you think? Screw cutting corporate taxes, lets cut income taxes on everyone.

Can you please stop posting on SSP? Full offense, your threads are all populist, Fraser Institute horseshit that has nothing to do with the content of SSP. I figure you're probably the same guy who sits in Tim Hortons writing tweets for Ontario Proud.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 2:53 AM

A person should have the opportunity to invest there pension as they see fit. For example if you pay $2000 a year into the Canadian pension plan that $2000 should be invested as you want and not able to be touched until a set age be it 55 60 or 65. I’m sure like most things in life, commerce and finances the average Canadian can out preform the government.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar777 View Post
Can you please stop posting on SSP? Full offense, your threads are all populist, Fraser Institute horseshit that has nothing to do with the content of SSP. I figure you're probably the same guy who sits in Tim Hortons writing tweets for Ontario Proud.
Not that I agree with misher post but everyone should have a right to post if you agree with it or not.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 3:24 AM
unignorable quasi-mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel View Post
A person should have the opportunity to invest there pension as they see fit. For example if you pay $2000 a year into the Canadian pension plan that $2000 should be invested as you want and not able to be touched until a set age be it 55 60 or 65. I’m sure like most things in life, commerce and finances the average Canadian can out preform the government.
You mean like an RRSP?

There are a lot of people out there who might fuck up with their investments and lose them all to bad investment decisions. How will society handle them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel View Post
Not that I agree with misher post but everyone should have a right to post if you agree with it or not.
This is private property, though.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
You mean like an RRSP?

There are a lot of people out there who might fuck up with their investments and lose them all to bad investment decisions. How will society handle them?
Already answered above (Soylent Green).

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Really? We're blaming immigrants for wanting a low taxes now? You might want to check the dominant race of those yellow jacket protesters in Canada. Or the Point Grey School Tax protesters. Most of the people calling for low taxes are likely old-stock Canadian MAGA hat wearers in polite company.

Sheesh whatnext you're becoming more and more transparent with every post you make. "hellhole countries"? Your tiresome rhetoric sounds suspiciously like the right-wing MAGA retards you seem to despise. Perhaps you have much more in common with them than you think?
Sorry, but no. If I wanted to be Trumpian I would have said "shitholes". Do you question the designation of the top three sources for immigrants hellholes?

Phillipines: Extreme poverty, corruption and an active terrorist insurgency in the south. President is batshit crazy
China: Authoritarian dictatorship rapidly becoming a surveillance state.
India: extreme poverty and wealth inequality. Sectarian strife.

Let's be blunt, if they weren't hellholes why would so many people want to leave? The Irish immigration wave of the 19th century didn't happen because the Emerald Isle was such a great place to be.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Sorry, but no. If I wanted to be Trumpian I would have said "shitholes". Do you question the designation of the top three sources for immigrants hellholes?

Phillipines: Extreme poverty, corruption and an active terrorist insurgency in the south. President is batshit crazy
China: Authoritarian dictatorship rapidly becoming a surveillance state.
India: extreme poverty and wealth inequality. Sectarian strife.

Let's be blunt, if they weren't hellholes why would so many people want to leave? The Irish immigration wave of the 19th century didn't happen because the Emerald Isle was such a great place to be.
My original point still stands. By blaming immigrants for what you describe as destructive low-tax activism, when in fact it's mostly old-stock white Canadians doing that. You are a left-wing bigot.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 8:29 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
My original point still stands. By blaming immigrants for what you describe as destructive low-tax activism, when in fact it's mostly old-stock white Canadians doing that.
Immigrants may not be engaging in "low-tax activism" all that much, but they're clearly very receptive to it. They dominate the suburban districts in Toronto that carried the vote for Rob Ford in response to his (idiotic) clarion call for "cutting waste" back in 2010, for example. They also swung the vote for his (idiotic) brother Doug in 2018 in the GTA, paving the way for his electoral victory at the provincial level.

It makes sense in terms of the general philosophical motivation of someone setting out for a new country for a better life. Loud platform noises about cutting taxes are probably going to be more appealing to someone starting a business or hoping to take home more of their paycheck than are exhortations to care for your fellow humans. Indeed, while we are all self-interested to varying degrees, immigrants to Canada are and always have been exponentially more so (aside from the tiny minority of exceptions escaping war), given that they would rather come to a safe and secure country like Canada than stay and contribute to the betterment of China, India or the Philippines etc.

Though whether the trickle leaving results in anything more than a negligible impact on their countries of origin is debatable, I imagine. And I'm certainly not suggesting that I hold any anti-immigrant animus.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Immigrants may not be engaging in "low-tax activism" all that much, but they're clearly very receptive to it. They dominate the suburban districts in Toronto that carried the vote for Rob Ford in response to his (idiotic) clarion call for "cutting waste" back in 2010, for example. They also swung the vote for his (idiotic) brother Doug in 2018 in the GTA, paving the way for his electoral victory at the provincial level.

It makes sense in terms of the general philosophical motivation of someone setting out for a new country for a better life. Loud platform noises about cutting taxes are probably going to be more appealing to someone starting a business or hoping to take home more of their paycheck than are exhortations to care for your fellow humans. Indeed, while we are all self-interested to varying degrees, immigrants to Canada are and always have been exponentially more so (aside from the tiny minority of exceptions escaping war), given that they would rather come to a safe and secure country like Canada than stay and contribute to the betterment of China, India or the Philippines etc.

Though whether the trickle leaving results in anything more than a negligible impact on their countries of origin is debatable, I imagine. And I'm certainly not suggesting that I hold any anti-immigrant animus.
I could just as easily show you a map of the last BC provincial election which showed high-immigrant urban areas voting for the BC NDP en masse, while rural mostly white areas voted for the BC Liberals (Conservative in all but name)

It's almost as if immigrants are individuals too and don't nearly exhibit aspects of a hive mind that so many people would like us to believe. They really can't win can they? On the one hand, they're derided for leaving one foot in their home country perhaps working there or supporting extended family. If they cut all ties and move to Canada they're derided for trying to change our country into theirs.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Those same suburbs elected the provincial Liberals from 2003-2014. They've also elected the current federal Liberals. I don't think the ethnic composition has changed that much over that time for those areas.

The most 'multicultural' areas of Toronto tend to lean left anyway. The heart of PC (and federal Conservative) country is rural southern Ontario.

I suspect there are other causes at play here.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada