Transit Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
SQ did a recent bust too.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
“(C)ounterfeit laboratory”?
A clandestine shop printing green bills with QE2 on them. (In Feb 2019.)

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 1:48 AM
unignorable quasi-mod

I had to search using French terms and go to the second page to find this:

https://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2019/02/...refaits-saisis

They don't really show any good shots of the money, so far I haven't seen any evidence that counterfeit operations have been able to clearly replicate the holographic portion. This is also an additional security feature (which is gone in the new 10s) that when the polymer money is stacked, a yellow band appears over the clear portion.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 1:54 AM
Transit Geek

It was that insignificant?? I thought something like this would be big enough (because those people had machines that could produce counterfeit money en masse) to scare everyone. I posted it in this thread because, if those fake money makes its way into the economy, it sure will wreck havoc.

@lio45 thanks for the clarification.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 2:15 AM
unignorable quasi-mod

I don't know if you remember but back when we had the birds money, there were so many fake 100s and 20s going around that many stores simply stopped taking them. I actually offended a customer last year because they paid with a birds 20 and I checked all the security features (it seemed OK), they thought I was going to accuse them of passing off counterfeits. We have a UV light now, the paper money looks really cool under it but the plastic money doesn't have any UV features, it has infrared security ink instead.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 2:24 AM
Dahvie Fan

Alberta’s economy hinges on oil sand expansion. With the bbl per day growth plummeting it definitely terrifies a lot of Albertans. Yes lots of household products are made using oil but that won’t drive any type of growth in the oil sands. The days of the oil sands mega projects are over. This is why the proposed pipelines will never happen.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 11:10 PM

One billion investment into Montreal by Amazon in discussions:

https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...document-shows

Quote:
The heavily redacted document, obtained by La Presse through an access to information request, points out the investment could reach up to $1 billion over a 10-year period.

Part of the money would be reserved for the hiring of executive staff, managers, engineers (mainly in software development), accountants, and specialized legal and administrative staff.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
Alberta’s economy hinges on oil sand expansion. With the bbl per day growth plummeting it definitely terrifies a lot of Albertans. Yes lots of household products are made using oil but that won’t drive any type of growth in the oil sands. The days of the oil sands mega projects are over. This is why the proposed pipelines will never happen.
“Given the current project timing, and the future demand we see, we think it’s a strong project to move ahead,” said Teck spokesman Doug Brown.

Libtard must know something Teck Resources execs don’t.

Teck Resources is moving through the permitting/regulatory process in developing its Frontier oil sands mine project.

It is a whopping $21 Billion investment that will produce ~ 260,000 bbls/day. And is forecasted to be in service in the mid 2020’s.

https://www.jwnenergy.com/article/20...y-development/

This is one example, of why the proposed pipeline projects need to happen.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 12:13 AM

Calgary has more than oil and gas, who knew?

https://globalnews.ca/news/4947415/m...olium-capital/

Quote:
U.S. bank Morgan Stanley has signed a deal to buy Calgary-based Solium Capital Inc. in a cash deal valued at about $1.1 billion.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdGarden View Post
Calgary has more than oil and gas, who knew?

https://globalnews.ca/news/4947415/m...olium-capital/
People who don't believe in stereotypes.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 4:50 AM

Calgary and NB are having/had high-tech job fairs in Vancouver to lure high tech workers to their turf. Calgary is trying to create a real critical mass of high tech workers and start-ups to help diversify their economy.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 5:53 AM

Alberta contributes $3.3M for huge solar farm in remote Fort Chipewyan

Canadian Press CANADIAN PRESS
FEBRUARY 7, 2019

EDMONTON, A.B. – Alberta will work with Indigenous groups in the province’s remote northeast corner on what the government says will be Canada’s largest off-the-grid solar power project.

The plan is for 7,500 solar panels to be erected at the power plant near the airport at Fort Chipewyan.

It’s expected the solar farm will be operating by next year and replace the equivalent of 800,000 litres of diesel fuel _ about 25 percent of the community’s energy use.

https://www.energeticcity.ca/2019/02...rwkVi-DmbooI_g

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 11:35 PM
is watching.

Tesla's latest challenge: A US$15,500 electric 3-wheeler built in Vancouver

link - https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/tesla-s-...eler-1.1213176

Quote:
It’s all-electric like a Tesla. It’s priced like a Ford Fiesta. It’s one of the oddest-looking vehicles you’ve ever seen -- and it may just redefine the commuter car.
As General Motors Co. prepares to shut the plant near Toronto that got car-making started in Canada more than a century ago, a new model is taking shape in a tiny production facility in Vancouver’s outskirts.

Meet the Solo -- a one-seater vehicle made by Electra Meccanica Vehicles Corp. that costs US$15,500. By December, 5,000 will be zipping around the streets of Los Angeles, with an additional 70,000 to be delivered over the next two years across the West Coast. Electra Meccanica may have a market value of just US$140 million, yet it has US$2.4 billion in pre-orders. The stock more than tripled in New York Wednesday.

The peculiar three-wheeler may even offer a lifeline to General Motors’ doomed Oshawa, Ontario plant, which is set to close this year and put 3,000 people out of work.“We have had some discussions around that,” said Electra Meccanica Chief Executive Officer Jerry Kroll, adding no decisions have been made. “Nothing would make me happier than to rehire all of those people, with a Canadian designed, engineered vehicle in Canada."

This along with the plethora of PHEV/PEV models coming out from the majors for the NA (world) market in 2020-2021 will hopefully result in a noticeable (start in) reduction of petroleum use as a transportation fuel. Victoria (city) is rapidly becoming a less vehicle/car friendly city with a very powerful bike lobby - insisting the city be designed around bikes and transit and make it more difficult for people to commute by car (we are now seeing a noticeable net reduction in vehicle lanes and net increase in bike/transit lanes) - which has council support and is being seen in recent transportation initiatives and developments and was even energized by the recent snow (the city prioritized clearing bike lanes) as it proved that even in inclement conditions bikes were a good / faster way to get around ----- then I was watching protestors in Germany - including students - block parents from dropping their kids off at school in their SUVs - insisting that they not be lazy and make their kids walk or bike to school.

Times they are a changing'...

Last edited by craneSpotter; Feb 13, 2019 at 11:58 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 4:33 PM

Holy crap I want that car! A small cheap electric car has been something I've been wanting to have for ages... not all of us are suburban families who need five seats or room for $300 worth of groceries. I'm glad someone in the industry has finally figured that out and realized that there's room in the market for small cheap cars.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 4:34 PM

$15k AND electric.. That thing will have an absurdly cheap total cost of ownership & operation for a brand new car.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:36 PM
the first stamp is free

^$15.5k USD for a single seat commuter more or less go-cart.

This isn't exactly going to set the world on fire.

By the time this ends up in a Canadian market, that list price starts north of $20k. Its tough to shell out that amount of cash for a very limited use (and equally limited resale in case you want to get rid of it later) vehicle.

If you are in the market for a small cheap car - that $20k+ for this 3-wheel tesla would buy at least 3 good condition 5-year old used small "economy" cars that would each provide 5 plus years of operation with limited upkeep.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 6:12 PM
is watching.

Petro-Canada to build first coast-to-coast network of fast EV chargers

February 13, 2019 - Canadian Mining Journal
http://www.canadianminingjournal.com...t-ev-chargers/

Quote:
CALGARY – Petro-Canada is building a network of electric vehicle (EV) fast charging stations across the country. More than 50 EV stations will be located along the Trans-Canada highway from Nova Scotia to British Columbia.

Canada Announces Expanded Public EV Network in British Columbia

CNW/ - https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...862499389.html

Quote:
VICTORIA, Feb. 11, 2019 - Electric and alternative fuel vehicles play a key role in reducing pollution. As Canadians continue to make greener choices, the Government of Canada is delivering more options for them to drive where they need to go while reducing pollution.

The Honourable Catherine McKenna, Minister of Environment and Climate Change Canada, on behalf of the Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Canada's Minister of Natural Resources, today announced a $1.15-million investment to build 23 electric vehicle (EV) fast chargers across B.C.

The stations are being deployed by British Columbia Hydro and Power Authority, with partial funding from Natural Resources Canada's Electric Vehicle and Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Deployment Initiative (EVAFIDI).
The charging infrastructure is expanding to accommodate the expected increase in EV sales over the next 10 years. Some estimates put electric motor vehicle (EV) sales at >50% by 2030. Many major Auto manufacturers plan to be mostly electric within 20 years. I would expect cities like Vancouver and Victoria to ban the operation personal ICE vehicles by 2040.

Last edited by craneSpotter; Feb 14, 2019 at 6:22 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craneSpotter View Post
Petro-Canada to build first coast-to-coast network of fast EV chargers

February 13, 2019 - Canadian Mining Journal
http://www.canadianminingjournal.com...t-ev-chargers/
Those evil O&G companies... They're dinosaurs... They don't have a clue as to the change that's coming...

Canada's first coast to coast network of fast EV chargers, brought to you by... Oil & Gas.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 6:31 PM

Doesnt Tesla have superchargers coast to coast, or at least plans to build them?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada