HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 3:54 PM

"Winter storm with 15 to 20 cm of snow and ice pellets, freezing rain, and strong winds Tuesday and Tuesday night.

Snow will begin early Tuesday morning. Snow will mix with or change to ice pellets later Tuesday. Strong easterly winds gusting to 80 km/h will cause reduced visibility in blowing snow. Total snowfall and ice pellet amounts of 15 to 20 cm are possible before ending Wednesday. There is also a risk of freezing rain. Travel is likely to be affected."

Oh, great. Another ice storm. I swear, I can't remember there being this much ice consistently throughout a winter. Obviously, none of them has matched 2013 or 1998's storms, but we seem to be getting freezing rain/ice pellets once a week now

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 4:24 PM
Suburbs Suck

Many snow days ahead so they've warmed up the forecast again luckily:

-5 -3 0 +1 +2 +1 +1

-8 -4 -2 -1 -4 -5
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 4:33 PM

Damn, looks like we're the coldest big city today. I'm ready for our mild winter to come back now...

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradFromTO View Post
Oh, great. Another ice storm. I swear, I can't remember there being this much ice consistently throughout a winter. Obviously, none of them has matched 2013 or 1998's storms, but we seem to be getting freezing rain/ice pellets once a week now
Question for the experts out there: at what point is precipitation counted as “snow” rather than “rain” in the statistics?

Toronto has been getting a lot of 5+ cm accumulations in the form of ice pellets. Is this technically “snow”? It sure has the same psychological effect.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 7:17 PM
arf

From Environment Canada's glossary

Quote:
Originally Posted by environmentCanada
precipitation
Any and all forms of water, liquid or solid, that falls from clouds and reaches the ground. This includes drizzle, freezing drizzle, freezing rain, hail, ice crystals, ice pellets, rain, snow, snow pellets, and snow grains. Types of precipitation that originate aloft are classified under Liquid Precipitation, Freezing Precipitation and Frozen Precipitation. The measurement of precipitation is expressed in terms of vertical depth of water (or water equivalent in the case of solid forms) which reaches the ground during a stated period. The millimetre (mm) is the unit of measurement of liquid precipitation and the vertical depth of water or water equivalent is express to the nearest 0.2 mm. Less than 0.2 mm is called a "Trace". Snow depth is measured to the nearest 0.2 cm. Less than 0.2 cm is called a "Trace".

snow
Frozen precipitation in the form of white or translucent ice crystals in complex branched hexagonal form. It most often falls from stratiform clouds, but can fall as snow showers from cumuliform ones. At temperatures > than -5 °C, the crystals generally cluster to form snowflakes.

rain
Precipitation in the form of liquid water droplets greater than 0.5 mm. If widely scattered, the drop size may be smaller. The intensity of rain is based on rate of fall. "Very light" means that the scattered drops do not completely wet a surface. "Light" means it is greater than a trace and up to 2.5 mm an hour. "Moderate" means the rate of fall is between 2.6 mm to 7.5 mm per hour. "Heavy" means 7 mm per hour or more.

ice crystals
Precipitation in the form of slowly falling, singular or unbranched ice needles, columns, or plates. They make up cirriform clouds, frost, and ice fog. Also, they produce optical phenomena such as halos, coronas, and sun pillars. May be called "diamond dust." Precipitation of ice crystals in the form of needles, columns or plates sometimes so tiny, they seem suspended in air. They are mainly visible when they glitter in sunshine and occur only at very low temperatures and stable air masses.

ice pellets
Precipitation of transparent or translucent pellets of ice, which are spherical or irregular shaped, having a diameter of 5 mm or less. They are classified into two types: hard grains of ice consisting of frozen rain drops or largely melted and refrozen snowflakes; pellets of snow encased in a thin layer of ice which have formed from the freezing of droplets intercepted by pellets or water resulting from the partial melting of pellets. Ice pellets usually bounce when hitting hard ground and make a sound on impact. They can fall as continuous precipitation or in showers.

freezing drizzle
Drizzle, the drops of which freeze on impact with the ground or with objects at or near the ground.

freezing rain
Rain, the drops of which freeze on impact with the ground or with objects at or near the ground.
If it hits the ground liquid it is rain (or drizzle) otherwise it is a frozen type.

It's nice that it is tolerable outside: -18C, -27 windchill with a bit of snow and blowing snow

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 9:27 PM

Apparently there is a snowfall advisory for Maui, They have snow in the State park for the first time ever. They usually get snow on the big Island Volcanoes but rarely on Maui and never down at the lower elevations.

So looking out my office window into the bright clear sky and the cold air I don't feel so bad.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Apparently there is a snowfall advisory for Maui, They have snow in the State park for the first time ever. They usually get snow on the big Island Volcanoes but rarely on Maui and never down at the lower elevations.

So looking out my office window into the bright clear sky and the cold air I don't feel so bad.
The snow fell on Mt. Haleakala on Maui which has an elevation of 10,000ft. Mauna Kea where it regularly snows on the Big Island has an elevation of 13,000ft.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Damn, looks like we're the coldest big city today. I'm ready for our mild winter to come back now...
You are going to need to keep hoping. This stubborn cold looks like it will last till the end of the month.

Could be one of the coldest (maybe the coldest) February ever.

Seattle as of today has registered their snowiest February ever and by the looks of the forecast now Victoria may do so as well.

The current conditions mirror those of Victoria’s insane 1996 snowstorm.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 2:52 AM
Briareos Hecatonchires

I’m currently in Maui until I leave for Vancouver tomorrow. I did hear about the snowfall warnings for these volcanoes.

It was pretty wet and very windy yesterday morning, although it managed to clear up during the afternoon. Today’s a lot better with sunnier skies. It’s still breezy at times and temps are a bit cooler than average at 24C. It’s begun clouding over as I type this, though.

Prior to yesterday, it’s been not bad at all weatherwise with highs around 25-26C and lots of sun, although it has been pretty windy at times. Even in winter, it can get very humid.

During the winter, it’s definitely common to see snow on top of Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea. BTW, Mauna Kea is often translated as “White Mountain” (Mauna Loa is “Long Mountain”), due to its winter appearance of course.

In fact, Mauna Kea *did* have small glaciers on its summit during the last ice age. Mauna Loa likely also had glaciers at the same time. But such evidence of ML would by now have been buried by numerous lava flows, as Mauna Loa is younger and thus a far more active volcano compared to Mauna Kea.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Current snowfall forecasts for this storm for major cities in S ON and S QC:

Toronto: 15-20 cm

Ottawa: 30-40 cm

Montréal: 20-40 cm

Québec: 20-40 cm
Crazy numbers. The forecast is showing 15-20mm of rain for my area, with some freezing rain. I'm in Florida now, and hoping not to see any more snow on the ground this season when I return, at least nothing that sticks for more than a day.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 4:15 AM

Seattle is now up to 49cm of snow (SeaTac).

That is insnane for them at sea level.

Snowiest month since January 1960.

With another storm moving wonder if Victoria will beat that.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 5:06 AM
ARTchitecture

Not often that the whole country deals with unusual levels of extended cold and or snow within a fairly short time. This might be the first time I've ever seen below seasonal temperatures nationwide.

My aunt in San Jose California said the hills surrounding the city were covered in snow the past few days. She's been there 18 years and it's only happened once before.

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 5:28 AM

The streets and sidewalks of downtown Vancouver were reasonably clear today but then this evening it started snowing again.

Homer Street, downtown Vancouver, Feb.11 '19, my pic

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 5:28 AM

Yeah, that’s crazy.

Make it 51cm for Seattle now, their 7th snowiest month ever.

Still hoping to see some Victoria pics on here.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 9:58 AM

Monday around downtown Vancouver was mostly calm, cool and dry. Until the evening and then more snow came. The high at Vancouver Harbour was 1 C, the low was -4 C.

Downtown Vancouver, Feb.11 '19, my pics

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 12:04 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Still fucking freezing. I'm on the verge of tears every time I think about it Oddly/sadly not a joke or exaggeration. It's really getting to me.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Still fucking freezing. I'm on the verge of tears every time I think about it Oddly/sadly not a joke or exaggeration. It's really getting to me.
I hate to say it, but if your house was better insulated, perhaps winter would get to you less?

I found that winter was a lot more bearable when I lived somewhere where there wasn't a chill the whole time.

That being said, the damp cold just does get into your bones. I'll take a dry, sunny -15C over a damp -7.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 1:14 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Fuck all of it. I'll take 0C and above or none of it. I've never really been able to feel the dry/wet cold difference. If the wind is the same, -15C always feels more than twice as cold as -7C to me.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
I hate to say it, but if your house was better insulated, perhaps winter would get to you less?

I found that winter was a lot more bearable when I lived somewhere where there wasn't a chill the whole time.

That being said, the damp cold just does get into your bones. I'll take a dry, sunny -15C over a damp -7.
Maybe if he also dressed for the weather

It's "warmer" today, -6 but the winds have died down a lot, wind chill is only -15 now. I wore a sweater under my coat, wore a hat and gloves, winter boots, and the walk to work was okay. Exposed face was a bit chilly but nothing I couldn't handle for 10 minutes.

Next storm Wednesday night into Thursday morning looks to be a primarily snow event, but not much snow. Shouldn't be a problem.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 1:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

What do you mean by "not much snow". They're currently calling for 20-30 cm in Moncton with winds gusting up to 70 km/hr.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada